Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes.
Since it’s September, I no longer feel like I am committing a sin by using pumpkin.
Is it back on the shelves?
I wouldn’t know – I’m still using pumpkin from last year. And I’m darn proud of it.
I love these breakfast cakes for multiple reasons. First, I don’t think I’ve ever made a breakfast cake. I don’t really know what considers this a breakfast cake, but I like the name. And obviously I would love eating cake for breakfast. Who wouldn’t?
Second – individual portions. I think that speaks for itself. If I eat two ramekins of cake, I really only had two pieces of cake. Right? That’s what I thought.
Third, I made them with whole wheat flour. I don’t care if that means nothing since there is sugar, butter and a doubly sugary glaze hiding in all the cake crevices, but I like it. It makes me feel good in my bones.
Notice I only made two breakfast cakes.
“Only” is the operative word here considering there is only one person in this house that likes pumpkin. And it isn’t Mr. How Sweet.
You do the math.
(Because, seriously, I’m really bad at math.)
- 1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup pumpkin
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/8 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- drop of water
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and pumpkin. Mix dry ingredients together and add to pumpkin batter, only mixing until just combined.
- Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and pour batter into them. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Mix syrup, water and sugar together to form a glaze. Depending on desired consistency, add more or less liquid.
Off to have cake for breakfast!
It doesn’t get any better.
(Unless there is bacon involved.)