I have a few thoughts.

Not many, but a few.

First up, I’ve decided that I like to look at pears more than eat them. Unless they are caramelized. Then I can’t wait to stop looking at them so I can eat them.

Second, I found that one of our local stores carries whole grain baguettes. This thrills me. It means that I don’t have to drive 52 minutes to Whole Foods just to get a thirteen dollar baguette that goes stale in twelve hours since there are only two of us.

Instead, now I buy a baguette for three dollars that goes stale in twelve hours because there are only two of us.

Finally, I took what feels like six bajilion pictures of this bruschetta, and then didn’t look at them for four days. Turns out most of the photos were blurry. Turns out I can’t use my DSLR worth crud. Turns out that is my reason for posting pictures of a pear, bread, and a bottle of vinegar.

Honesty is the best policy.
Time out.

We need to take a moment to discuss this vinegar. Does it not sound like the most fabulous tasting vinegar in the world?

Well, it should, because it is. I mean - cinnamon pear?! I want to bathe in this.

When I bought it last month, I wasn’t sure how I was going to use it. Besides, you know, drink it straight up.

But even for me – I wasn’t sure how it would work on a salad. Thankfully, I think I came up with something incredible.
I caramelized some red bartlett pears with butter, and added the vinegar at the end. No sugar needed – the natural sweetness comes out and surprisingly, it’s even sweet enough for me. On top of the beloved whole grain baguette, I spread on a honey mascarpone mixture before adding the pears.

Please make this now. It will make you happy.

Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta

serves 4-6

1 whole grain baguette, sliced into rounds

2 pears, chopped (I used red bartlett)

1 tablespoon butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of nutmeg

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I used cinnamon pear)

1/2 cup mascarpone

1 teaspoon honey

Preheat oven to 400. Lay baguette rounds on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until golden brown and toasted. Set aside.

Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add butter. Add pears, then sprinkle with salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Allow to caramelize slowly – for about 10-15 minutes.

In a bowl, combine mascarpone and honey. Spread on baguette slices.

Once pears are caramelized, add balsamic vinegar and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Add spoonfuls of pear mixture on top of mascarpone on baguette. These can be served warm or cold.

If you don’t want to make the bruschetta, you must make the pears. Throw them in anything – oatmeal, salads, on top of potatoes… the possibilities are endless!

108 Responses to “Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta.”

Angela — September 23, 2010 @ 8:57 am

I don’t really love raw pears either. At least not to bite into. They are delicious in salads. This recipe looks especially tasty. Totally agree with Kath that these would be delicious with vanilla. Specifically Turkey Hill vanilla bean. The best vanilla ice cream out there.

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I have Turkey Hill in my freezer right now!

Jessie K — September 23, 2010 @ 9:25 am

My stomach is growling just looking at that! It looks soooo yummy!

Blond Duck — September 23, 2010 @ 9:25 am

You’re killing me, smalls.

Lindsey — September 23, 2010 @ 9:31 am

Drool. I always look lustfully at the different vinegars at the store, but can never figure out how to use them. I am not kidding–I think I’m going to immediately get in the car and go buy this vinegar–and make this bruschetta. It looks amazing!!!!

Paige (running around normal) — September 23, 2010 @ 9:32 am

Again, I should not visit your blog before meal time. Why didn’t you stop me, Jessica!? ;)
    This looks fabulous, and I must go buy marscapone now.

barefootgirl27 — September 23, 2010 @ 9:47 am

oh.

yum.

Lauren — September 23, 2010 @ 9:57 am

This is such a fantastic sweet spin on traditional bruschetta. Perfect for autumn :).

TheHEalthyapron — September 23, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Now this looks awesome! What a great fall recipe to share!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 23, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Wow love all the roasted/warmed fruit the past couple posts…right up my alley. No bacon…Lol.

oxoxo

Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks — September 23, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I know how you feel about the stale baguette thing!! I make french toast with mine, though. It soaks up more egg when it’s stale and I think french toast actually originated as a use for stale bread! Maybe you already knew all this, but I was pretty excited when I found out :).

Katie — September 23, 2010 @ 10:46 am

This is beautiful! I am having some friends over in a couple of weeks for a fall party – and I think this would make a fantastic appetizer. Now I just need to find that vinegar…

Jess @ MTL Veggie — September 23, 2010 @ 10:47 am

These look so amazing! What a great idea.
    If you only use a baguette 1 half at a time… put 1 half in a freezer bag, stick in freezer and it’ll keep very well! And then of course, eat the 2nd half right away :)

Kocinera — September 23, 2010 @ 11:04 am

I can totally sympathize with the whole blurry photo syndrome. If I’m not using a tripod (and sometimes even if I am) many of my photos turn out nice and blurry.

That bruschetta looks amazing, too. What a creative idea!

janetha g. @ meals & moves — September 23, 2010 @ 11:16 am

pears and cinnamon are like peanut butter and jelly. this recipe looks fantastic! it would be so good on great harvest’s cinnamon burst bread!

• Jessica — September 23rd, 2010 @ 11:18 am

I wish we had a Great Harvest near me!

Biz — September 23, 2010 @ 11:34 am

You are so creative!! Absolutely going to steal this one! :D

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) — September 23, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Wow, it sounds amazing. You have such great ideas for putting food together. You need to write a recipe book stat!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — September 23, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

Mmm, this sounds amazing!!! And I totally understand where you are coming from with the whole “baguette going stale in 3 days” thing. I cook for just myself and I always hate buying a big thing of bread because it goes stale before I can eat half of it! Try freezing the bread. That’s what I usually do. Probably not best for taste but it keeps it from getting moldly. Which is always a good thing, lol.

Heather Ozee — September 23, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

I have a pair tree and know just what I’ll be doing with them this year. Thanks!

Heather Ozee — September 23, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

duh… pear ;)

homecookedem — September 23, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

I love pears! This is such a lovely recipe. I’d love to put these out at a wedding or baby shower!! :)

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 23, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Wow that vinegar sounds so amazing. I have yet to try balsamic on sweet stuff- but I know that I will soon enough.

I totally have a $3 baguette going stale in my kitchen right now. Maybe I should start feeding pigeons.

Yum Yucky — September 23, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

I want the bread! Gimme the bread part!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — September 23, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I love that you hate veggies but still find a way to get creative and make them delicious! That Brussels sprouts dish looks amazing. And this dish? These are the kinds of things that I can serve my boyfriend without him complaining about them being too “veggie-ish” or “grassy”!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 23, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

that is that company that I asked you abotu when you tweeted that you got these crazy vinegars! i get paid tomorrow and may have to splurge on a bottle it sounds absolutely out of this world!! why dont more companies make flavor infused vinegars?!?!

Katrina — September 23, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

DROOL!

megan — September 23, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

ha, I can totally relate to the blurry picture problem! I’ve even remade a dish to re-take the pictures (only if it was a good enough meal though). Seriously, though, your pictures look really good! Are you using the 50 mm lens? Have you learned how to use the little focus button thing that shows you where your camera is going to focus? it has saved me countless times when the camera thinks it should focus on the plate and i think it should focus on the food (and yet I’m still resisting manual mode…it scares me)

megan — September 23, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I think I need to go by that vinegar. This looks so good! Any other flavors that are “must have” before I order? That cinnamon pair looks killer!

Zoe@Simply Seasonal — September 23, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Your thoughts are always delicious!!!

Danielle — September 23, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

I’m not a plain pear fan either, but this looks amazing!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 23, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

Very interesting dish! I think those pears sounds fantastic!

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread — September 23, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

Oh YUM!!!! This is my kind of bruschetta!

Jenn from Much to my Delight — September 24, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Dude. You are full of good ideas. Me want.

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 24, 2010 @ 8:52 am

I featured this fabulous recipe on my Fall Friday post. Thanks so much for sharing. I can’t wait to try this! Check it out: http://chicagocuisinecritique.blogspot.com/2010/09/fall-friday_24.html

Amanda — September 24, 2010 @ 10:33 am

Jessica… I LOVE to see you growing as a baker, chef, and FOOD STYLIST!! I am going to steal all your wonderful ideas and angles and pictures! Ok. I wont steal them. But I will sure admire them!

Be blessed-
    Amanda

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 24, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

This is a wonderful idea! I love the cinnamon pear balsamic – yummmmm!

Lori (All That splatters) — September 26, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Wow. Your creative juices were flowing… in more ways than one! This looks amazing. Now I have to know where you found your cinnamon pear vinegar. I’ll be on the lookout for it.

Love your blog!

christina — September 28, 2010 @ 7:45 am

that sounds incredible. i’ve never used mascarpone! it makes me laugh to hear everyone pronounce it differently :)

Julie — October 5, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Just discovered a new store called “Taste of Olive”. The entire store is olive oils and balsamic vinegars. You can sample everything! Came home with cinnamon pear balsamic and can’t wait to try this out! It was delicious though on a spinach salad with feta and walnuts!

• Jessica — October 5th, 2010 @ 10:43 am

Yes that is just what Fustini’s is! Aren’t they amazing? It was like I had died and gone to Heaven!

Bridget — February 11, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

I just made these for a Superbowl party – so delicious!

July Menefee — September 15, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

This recipe looks fabulous but what i really want to say is you are HILARIOUS!!!!! I’ve never laughed so hard reading about food!!!!

Louise Kaplan — October 4, 2014 @ 1:25 pm

OMG……this is to die for!! Made it last night and took to a party; all 40 disappeared almost instantly and everyone wanted the recipe. Used fig balsamic; worked great!

Beth — October 30, 2014 @ 8:28 am

Would using a different flavored balsamic vinegar completely ruin the recipe? I want to make this last minute and the only “autumn” type of bv available nearby is either maple or pumpkin spice…..

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Roasted Cinnamon Pear Bruschetta | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Savvy Selections: 09.25.10. — Savvy Eats