Shopping Stills.

Welcome to another installment of How Sweet groceries!

I think it is fun to share, and if you guys want to see, I am glad to share. Since Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods is over the river and through the woods, I only head there once every 3-6 weeks and I stock up. On the off weeks, I get almost all of our produce at a local farm (Schramm’s) and have also been heading to Delallo’s – dare I say their produce section rivals Whole Foods? It does, and I’m thrilled that it is only 5 minutes away from us.

Lots of goodies:

The only veggies I can choke down. Actually… I’m looking forward to eating these. Score!

Sweet potatoes, White Chocolate Wonderful, tomatoes, sprouted grain bread, avocados, my favorite quick go-to chickpeas, and bananas.

Peppers, onions, shallots, garlic, fresh green beans (Mr. How Sweet is a fan) and cucumbers for salads and juicing purposes. I also grabbed a bag of mini gala apples (so cute!) because the honeycrisps looked as though they had been through the ringer.

Some autumnal treats.

Self-explanatory items:

A few others:

Fresh mozzarella, lite harvarti and roasted turkey.

Chicken burgers and filet for Mr. How Sweet’s belated birthday dinner – post coming up tomorrow on that!

Mr. How Sweet’s favorite orange chicken. He pops this like Pringles. He claims that he wants to write to Trader Joe’s and tell them there are absolutely not seven servings in the bag, there is only one serving. Not joking – he eats the entire bag as a snack.

Last time I bought peanut butter pretzels, they lasted a full three weeks! That is unheard of in this house. However, since I already broke into these ones, I doubt they will last like that this time.

Some in-case-of-emergency bars.

This weekend I went with 2 smaller whole grain loaves as opposed to the giant baguette. Thanks for all your suggestions about freezing the extras – I never even thought of that, though I do freeze other breads.

As I was putting away groceries and uploading photos, Mr. How Sweet walked in with this autumn bouquet!

Clearly he had not seen the grocery bill yet.

Now we are watching this week’s episode of The Office, and then I’m going to deep clean the fridge. There is only one word for that: scary. My crisper drawer is basically a compost pile. It is where veggies with good intentions go to die.

After that, I’m not sure what I’m going to do. But you don’t even want to know what Mr. How Sweet is doing. Let’s just say it’s a good thing he brought me that bouquet.

38 Responses to “Shopping Stills.”

Kim in MD — September 25, 2010 @ 10:50 am

I love these posts, Jessica! I see many items from TJ’s that I haven’t tried yet (although the Orange Chicken really is good)! Mr. How Sweet is so sweet to bring you flowers…they are gorgeous!

Oh- and I know what you mean about the deep fridge clean-out. I find things that resemble science experiments sometimes…YUK! :-) Have a great weekend!

Kristina @ spabettie — September 25, 2010 @ 11:17 am

Mr Sweet is very sweet… but now I AM wondering what he’s doing today… ;)

and LOOK AT YOU with those BRUSSELS ! I’m both proud and grossed out!!

:D

barefootgirl27 — September 25, 2010 @ 11:24 am

I can only imagine what Mr. Sweet is up to…

I have to take a filed trip when I want to go to TJ’S & The whole-paycheck store as well ( about 45 minutes away )

boo.

I just found the Peanut Butter 7 Co. products in my local grocery store yesterday yesterday :) :) :)

I didn’t buy any yet, because I couldn’t make up my find on which flavor.

And pumpkin butter?? hmm…. I wonder if I can make it like I made my newly addicted apple butter???

*eyes pumpkin over in the corner*

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies — September 25, 2010 @ 11:27 am

Awww – how nice of Mr. How Sweet. :) Lovin the groceries! I need to deep clean my fridge, too…I did a little bit today, but still…there’s more. haha

Natalie — September 25, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Yummy! I just bought the same PB but dark chocolate version at Market District. Man that stuff is addicting!

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

Haven’t been to Market District yet… dying to go!

Danielle — September 25, 2010 @ 11:57 am

When I lived in NYC, I was about an hour by subway to Whole Foods & Trader Joe’s (which are within a block of one another.) Sometimes I would drag my packages up and down the trillions of steps and tote them with me for the hour-long ride, just because those sorts of foods were not available in my neighborhood…

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

I would do the same!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 25, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Love this post! Your groceries add up to a week’s worth of good eating, for sure. I still haven’t tried White Chocolate Wonderful, although I’ve been eyeing it at the grocery store for the past couple weeks :)

PS–I loved this week’s Office…the opening song-and-dance number had me cracking up (I can’t lie, I already watched it again on Hulu)

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

It was awesome!

Teresa — September 25, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

Love peeking into someone else’s grocery bag. I love candied ginger. Can’t wait until TJ’s opens in Des Moines. I’m thinking about making pumpkin butter at home this weekend. I’ve never tried it before, so it will be a big experiment, which is always fun.

Kath — September 25, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

You and Mr. How Sweet will be eating well this week. (I do love Trader Joe’s frozen organic corn!)

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 25, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

I love those Fiberful bars!

Sara — September 25, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

oooh we are huge fans of TJ’s orange chicken. It’s the perfect thing for those weeknights when I really don’t have the energy to make a real dinner. But…SEVEN SERVINGS!? You have got to be kidding me. We eat an entire bag between the two of us and with a side of rice it’s the perfect dinner. I guess I never looked at the nutrition facts. Probably because I don’t even want to know.

andrea — September 25, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

The orange chicken is my absolute favorite!!! you have to try the egg rolls and shrimp fried rice too!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 25, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

I picked up some pumpkin butter at Trader Joe’s too..oh how I love that place. :)

Lindsay — September 25, 2010 @ 2:59 pm

I agree with Mr.Sweet ….seven servings…NO WAY! I hadn’t looked at the amount of servings either. I usually make my DH share and squeeze 2 servings out of ours – as long as I guard my plate!

trang — September 25, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

Jessica, how is the pumpkin butter? I’ve never had it and it sure does look delicioius. Ahh, I truly miss having a good grocery store.

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 4:47 pm

It is incredible – delicious when used sweet or savory!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 25, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

i have bought that chicken ONCE for scott. it took 3 days for the stink to leave my house, so never again :)

those bars. girl have tried the think thins twice and both times, i couldnt hang. at all. i actually tossed them. And i am cheap and never do that!

that vanilla, the pumpkin butter, the mini galas, nice

candied ginger. is it really good? i am thinking so or you wouldnt have shown it!

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

I haven’t even ever tried the candied ginger! But I’m hoping it is good. It sounds good to me.
      And as for the bars – there are only a few bars I can choke down. I dislike most of them. Sometimes the Think Thin ones can be chalky – I usually eat them like 1/4 of a bar at a time!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 25, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Yummy looking groceries!!! Very healthy too :-)

susan — September 25, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Yummy finds! Yeah, we don’t make it to the east end too often either so its a rare treat. Next year there is a WF opening in wexford. I don’t know if that’s near you guys but we are excited!

• Jessica — September 25th, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

Really?! That is awesome! That is actually pretty far for us – about an hour or more, but we sometimes head out that way.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — September 25, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

haha when I saw the first picture I thought “Do I even know this person?!” because it was all green.

I love how eclectic and varied your groceries are!

Wei-Wei — September 25, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

SO MUCH AWESOMENESS. I wish I could visit TJ’s… :(

Jess — September 25, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

I LOVE trader joe’s pumpkin butter!! MMM!

Robyn — September 25, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

how i wish trader joe’s was in toronto. also – i am OBSESSED with larabars – i want to try making my own.

Aejin H — September 25, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

I went over to Trader Joe’s tonight since your blog persuaded me to go, haha. I mainly went there to go buy pumpkin butter, since it sounded really intriguing. But to my dismay, the employee at TJ’s said the pumpkin butter was going to arrive real soon. Weird how they had pumpkins and canned pumpkins, but not the pumpkin butter…I guess the best is saved for last. I also got a bag of orange chicken, can’t wait to see what that’s like!

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — September 26, 2010 @ 1:43 am

Lovely flowers!

I love peeking in other’s groceries, it’s so interesting so see what others buy :)

CaSaundra — September 26, 2010 @ 6:35 am

Oooh I would love to grocery ship with you! Everything looks delish..and I’ve been looking for that peanut flour in grocery stores..but no luck!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) — September 26, 2010 @ 6:47 am

I love seeing what other people buy at the supermarket, it’s so interesting! The flowers are lovely; you are a very lucky lady!

Heather — September 26, 2010 @ 6:53 am

so the bourbon vanilla extract is for me, right? please and thank you :)

MelissaNibbles — September 26, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Beautiful flowers….what’s he apologizing for? Just kidding.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the peanut flower.

Ashley — September 27, 2010 @ 3:41 am

Peanut butter pretzels?!?!?! I have never seen them, or actually never looked for them! I’m on the search:)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Shopping Stills. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins | How Sweet It Is