When I found honeycrisp apples at the store yesterday, I was so excited I thought I might burst.

Caramelizing them was really the only thing I had in mind.

Well, that… and eating them with a pound of bacon. Don’t ask.

This parfait was totally new to me. A few weeks ago Brittany made a quinoa parfait that looked so delicious that I couldn’t get it out of my head.

Greek yogurt isn’t new to me, and neither is quinoa, but the combination of the two is. And the texture is fabulous. I wasn’t so sure about using the quinoa in a non-savory fashion, but I am so glad I did.

Speaking of new-to-me things, Mr. How Sweet caved and got a blackberry after swearing up and down for years that he never would. It’s pretty funny watching him trying to manage the thing. I prefer to call him “Gramps.”

Oh, and I didn’t make the parfait for him. Though it may have softened the blow of technology.

Not only did I love the texture of this parfait, but it offered a boatload of protein in forms that I actually enjoy, some whole grains and sweet, juicy fruit! Doesn’t get much better in my eyes.

The more my everyday food tastes like dessert, the better.

Spiced Quinoa Apple Pie Parfait

1 cup greek yogurt

1 apple, chopped

1/4 cup dry quinoa

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine chopped apple, brown sugar, 1/4 tablespoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon salt in an oven safe dish. Roast apples until soft and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.

Combine dry quinoa with remaining cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Cook according to directions.

When apples and quinoa have cooled (not completely, but they shouldn’t be scalding) layer in a glass with greek yogurt. If desired, mix yogurt with cinnamon and honey for topping.

Happy Labor Day!

81 Responses to “Spiced Quinoa Apple Pie Parfait.”

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — September 6, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

Oh wow! I’ve only eaten quinoa with veggies or parmesan cheese, and as a pasta. That parfait looks fantastic. :)

Joe @ Eden Kitchen — September 6, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Jessica, this looks gorgeous! Totally my kind of dessert :) Will try something like this myself when the summer berries start to arrive down here. Thanks!

• Jessica — September 6th, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Thank you!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — September 6, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yummmm!! That sounds amazing, Jess! I can’t wait until I find me some honeycrisps :)

Tracy — September 6, 2010 @ 7:35 pm

Interesting combination of flavors…I never would have thought to use quinoa in a non-savory way either, but I would definitely try this! PS…we LOVE honeycrisp apples…can’t wait to go apple picking and get a whole bunch of them! :-)

Eliana — September 6, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

Could this look more perfect? Probably not!

Chantel — September 6, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

What a great way to use quinoa! Can’t wait to try this!

Blond Duck — September 7, 2010 @ 2:47 am

You made this just for me, didn’t you?

Naomi(oneFF) — September 7, 2010 @ 3:10 am

i think nutmeg is such an underrated spice! I love it and use it in my oatmeal most mornings, I LOVe the idea of this parfait and i could DEF eat this!!! YESSSS…I would rather you come over and make it for me though! :)

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — September 7, 2010 @ 5:13 am

I love how healthy this is too! I wouldn’t have expected quinoa and greek yogurt either, when I first saw the picture, I thought it must be a granola or something. This sounds fantastic though! I like it as a parfait but I think I might make it more as a sweet side dish.

Yea on the honeycrisp apples too! I can’t wait until they go on sale! Thanks!

stephchows — September 7, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Btw the quinoa and greek yogurt this is super protein packed. Looks delicious!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — September 7, 2010 @ 10:34 am

This is an awesome combination. I would have never come up with it either!

Sophie @ yumventures — September 7, 2010 @ 11:14 am

Awesome idea! What a perfect way to start the fall :)

Ashley — September 7, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

These photos are amazing!!! This looks awesome. About a year ago, I made a big batch of coconut quinoa [just put in 2T of coconut oil when you cook 1c of quinoa] and topped it with fruit, yogurt, etc. It was so so so good! I need to do that [or this] again!

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — September 8, 2010 @ 5:09 am

Your food is so beautiful :)

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Thank you so much!

Yue Edwards — September 8, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

looks pretty healthy!! i happen to have lots of apples, gotta try it sometime!!

Lee — September 10, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

I have to try this.
    Question about the ingredients. The list has 1/2 Tbls cinnamon and the directions say 1/4 Tbls. Same thing with the nutmeg and the salt, directions have half the amount of the list.

I don’t want to blow this first time out or overdo it with the spices.
    Please let us know which is correct. Thanks so much, okay I’m off to the store for some quinoa.

• Jessica — September 10th, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

1/4 of the cinnamon is for the apples, the remaining cinnamon goes into the quinoa!

Maria — September 16, 2010 @ 11:33 pm

delicioso!!! gracias

Becki@beckiswholelife — August 29, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Love this! In the cafeteria at work they serve quinoa and cous cous for breakfast occasionally. It’s sooo good, but sometimes I think I am the only one who has disovered it or they would probably make it more often. I think they cook it in a ton of cream and sugar so I am sure that is why it’s so good. This looks great though. I love the combo of greek yogurt, fruit and something carby/crunchy – yum!

Kelsey — September 14, 2011 @ 11:38 pm

Delayed, I know, but I just wanted to say that I made this the other day and it turned out GREAT! A wonderful healthy, filling start to the day and I’ll be making it again tomorrow :)

1. Pingback: Bloggy Round Up | Watch My Butt Shrink! A Weight Loss Blog

2. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » Veggie Might: D? Derna lunch? Minute Packages

3. Pingback: Savvy Selections: Sept.11.2010 — Savvy Eats

4. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Parfaits. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: beka stays creative : inspired 9.11.11 « beka stays

6. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Coconut Quinoa Parfait with Coconut Granola. | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Tufts Dining Hall Hacks | Tasty Tufts