These are the simplest, tastiest, quickest cashews you can make. I promise.

If you don’t agree I will bake you cookies or eat a piece of broccoli or do something to appease you.

After hearing such wonderful things about Ina Garten’s chili-spiced cashews, I really couldn’t wait to try them. But can I ever follow a recipe? Of course not. So I just kept adding things and hoped they would still taste good.
I made them on Sunday and Mr. How Sweet couldn’t keep away from them from the minute the came off the stove. He kept eating handful after handful and giggling at himself, saying “these warm spicy nuts are delicious.” And things like, “would you like to try my spicy nuts?”

See? I don’t need a child. I have a husband who is rounding the corner of his mid-to-late thirties and still laughs at jokes that an 8-year old would come up with.

Spicy Smokey Cashews

inspired by Ina Garten

2 cups cashews

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 teaspoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

Heat a skillet over low heat. Add cashews and olive oil, tossing to coat. Add spices and mix to thoroughly combine. Heat until nuts are warmed through. Remove from pan and let dry.

Mr. How Sweet says you can also have warm spicy nuts in 10 minutes or less. His words – not mine. Take that as you will.

78 Responses to “Spicy Smokey Cashews.”

Liz @ LBBakes — September 24, 2010 @ 4:03 am

Haha! You guys are funny. I love CASHEWS :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 24, 2010 @ 4:07 am

LOL my husband is the same way

Kim in MD — September 24, 2010 @ 4:10 am

Ha ha! My first laugh of the morning! :-)

The nuts look incredible! I love anything The Barefoot Contessa makes…her recipes never fail!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — September 24, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Boys!! Do they ever really grow up?!

I do love the sound of this recipe, btw–simple and full of flavor! Nice!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 24, 2010 @ 4:15 am

Hahahaha!!! Boys… they never do grow up, do they ;)

Oh… and the spicy nuts look delish :)

Blond Duck — September 24, 2010 @ 4:21 am

Yum!!! I love cashews!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 24, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Mr. How Sweet – you’re funny! :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — September 24, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Delicious! Love spiced nuts and LOVE the Barefoot Contessa!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 24, 2010 @ 4:34 am

What a clever man you have there! This is really why I can’t even attempt something like this! I love cashews and I love spicy = trouble for me! These sound delicious! Have a great weekend Jessica!

Heather — September 24, 2010 @ 4:35 am

mmmmm, warm spicy nuts…what every woman wants! hahaha…the worst thing is i was already thinking of inappropriate jokes from when i first started reading the title…so sad…

Katrina — September 24, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Yum! Cashews are my favorite nut :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — September 24, 2010 @ 5:04 am

Wait did you just offer to make cookies for whoever doesn’t agree with you?? I hate these then! I’ll take whatever you are making this weekend :) please ship soon.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 24, 2010 @ 5:05 am

Lol @ Mr. How Sweet…silly boys.

Jil — September 24, 2010 @ 5:06 am

hahaha ohhhh mr. how sweet. this recipe does look really fantastic though!!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 24, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I love spicy nuts, it doesn’t matter what kind. But my husband doesn’t like cashews (although I don’t really don’t understand what makes them that much different than any other nut) (he’s a nut!) – I bet this would be great with almonds!

Evan Thomas — September 24, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Yum! They remind me of chili-lime cashews made by Yumnuts. I bet these taste great in some tuna salad for some crunch.

Matt — September 24, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Ah cashews are like my favorite nut! I will have to try those ;)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — September 24, 2010 @ 5:50 am

Some tips everyone needs to consider…

#1 Low and slow. Don’t set the temp too high. You don’t want to burn your nuts.

#2 Allow the nuts to cool after making. They will be fairly soft after removing from stove. After a few minutes they will firm. No one wants to pop soft nuts in their mouth.

Right now, I am about to burst trying to contain my giggling.

• Jessica — September 24th, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I can just see you giggling over there.

• Wei-Wei — September 24th, 2010 @ 7:46 am

I cannot stop laughing.

Vanessa — September 24, 2010 @ 6:19 am

NOTHING beats a spicy nut joke! BTW-your nuts looks DE-LISH, lol!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 24, 2010 @ 6:31 am

OHH I CAN EAT THESE!!! I also would totally love these on roasted almonds… making these later!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 24, 2010 @ 6:37 am

YUM – I have cashews, I have those spices. I think I have a project now.

Chrissy — September 24, 2010 @ 6:37 am

My boyfriend loves to make jokes when I am cooking tacos. “Wow, that is one juicy taco.” “Can I have a bite of that hot taco?” Men.

Lori @ RecipeGirl — September 24, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Add some freshly snipped rosemary to those & see what happens! Yum!

• Jessica — September 24th, 2010 @ 6:44 am

That is a great idea. Next time!

Kara @ MyWellnest — September 24, 2010 @ 6:41 am

This is such a good idea! I wonder if it would work with almonds?

• Jessica — September 24th, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I’m sure it would!

Unhip Chick — September 24, 2010 @ 6:57 am

I think Mr. How Sweet and The Big Man were separated at birth. Nut jokes aside, those cashews sound wonderful and, even better, really easy to make!

Whitney — September 24, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Jessica! Thanks for sharing this recipe. I just stumbled on your blog via Blue Eyed Bride’s and I love it! I. LOVE. FOOD. Plus, I’m pregnant, so I’m even more obsessed with it. So… I can’t wait to browse back through your recipe archives :)

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) — September 24, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Too funny….Mr. How Sweet sounds like Mr. Puppy Dog Tale. Good grief! haha! Those cashews look wonderful though.

Erica — September 24, 2010 @ 7:21 am

hahahha. I love that Mr. How Sweet is a kid at heart…I am too!! Deliciousness. I get dangerous around spicy or sweet nuts…I can’t stop!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — September 24, 2010 @ 7:29 am

My husband loves nut jokes. And I kind of do too? I giggled, not gonna lie.

Do you think this would work with almonds? I’m not a huge cashew fan but I love the idea!

• Jessica — September 24th, 2010 @ 7:32 am

I definitely think so! It may even be better…?

Liz @ Bog is the New Black — September 24, 2010 @ 7:35 am

Love Mr. HS’s comments… sounds like me. And, delicious recipe, obvi!

Abby — September 24, 2010 @ 7:35 am

MMMM! MMM!! These spicy nuts look good :) I bet they’d make a good nut butter, too!!!

Kristina @ spabettie — September 24, 2010 @ 7:38 am

seriously, I always offer (beg?) to come live with you and eat all of your wonderful food, but I think THIS is really what I want… you two are so fun.

:D

Wei-Wei — September 24, 2010 @ 7:40 am

You should sell “warm spicy nuts in sacks”!

I’m sorry. I have the maturity level of an 8-year-old boy.

barefootgirl27 — September 24, 2010 @ 7:51 am

*giggle* boys!!

these would be nice without he rosemary on them, all packaged up in gift baskets at Christmas!!

Ang — September 24, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Sadly both my husband and I have a 13 yr old boys sense of humor. I think that’s why we get along so well.

On a serious note, those do look like a nice snack!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — September 24, 2010 @ 8:05 am

This could be a great Sunday football snack! Mmmmmm

Camille — September 24, 2010 @ 8:17 am

These remind me a lot of some spicy cashews that I tried from YumNuts. They were amazing. I ate them all in like, 2 days :)

Robyn — September 24, 2010 @ 8:31 am

barefoot contessa also has a recipe for rosemary roasted cashews that i LOVE – makes a great addition to an appetizer platter with some warm brie, baguette and green grapes.

also – 30 rock fans? last night liz lemon was talking about how ina & jeffrey have the perfect relationship…because he’s only around on weekends. hilarious.

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — September 24, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Mr Sweet is hilarious :D and great cashews!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 24, 2010 @ 8:53 am

How come nut jokes never EVER get old?

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 24, 2010 @ 9:14 am

These look great!

Kacy — September 24, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I never cease to be amused my balls and nuts humor. Yes, I’m 8. It’s a problem.

Jessica@tastyandtrim — September 24, 2010 @ 9:17 am

I love Ina Garten, she has so many great recipes! Those cashews look addicting. Perfect for party snackin’ :)

Hallie — September 24, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I can’t find smoked paprika and it makes me really sad. Well, I can’t find it in the bulk spice section of my store, and I refuse to pay $6.00 for half an ounce of spices.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — September 24, 2010 @ 9:57 am

Ina Garten is my baking idol :) I’m always up for trying one of her recipes!

Your cashews look great– Have an awesome weekend!

Eliana — September 24, 2010 @ 10:13 am

They look awesome! You can’t go wrong with anything Ina. She is my idol!

Nicole, RD — September 24, 2010 @ 10:39 am

LOL!

I love cashews! I have lots on hand, too….hm!!!

Natalia - a side of simple — September 24, 2010 @ 10:52 am

Ahh haha famous last words..

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 24, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Put smoked paprika on anything & I am all over it. These cashews look amazing, granted anything you or Ina come up with are well worth the calories!! xo

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — September 24, 2010 @ 11:39 am

omg scott would go NUTS for these nuts :) spicy, hot, warmed nuts are his thing. TWSS! haha!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Spicy Smokey Cashews. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Holiday Appetizers | How Sweet It Is