There has been a whole lot of weirdness in my life lately.

Getting used to being home and a different schedule is always a challenge. I still wake up early and workout, but due to not being in a rush, my eating schedule has been all out of whack. Let’s just say I’ve been doing a lot of… brunches.

This weirdness has been happening.

In fact, it has happened 2 days in a row.

I feel like I waste so much of the sprout when I chop it up.

Is that normal? Am I normal?

I guess I shouldn’t complain if it gets me to eat vegetables.

Yesterday, I coupled those sprouts with half a whole grain baguette with turkey, avocado, tomato and fresh mozzarella.

WEIRD.

Then I knocked over a bottle of balsamic vinegar. Do you have any idea what a pain this is to clean up? Especially when your stove is hot and it turns the vinegar into instant syrup.

Not to mention I have vinegar in cracks and crevices that one should not have vinegar.

Today, I got a little more serious.

The other half of the baguette got covered in pumpkin butter and more fresh mozzarella.

It was an amazing combination. Full of spice and melty, cheesy goodness. I am really enjoying eating completely different things than I usually do, cooking my food when I want and eating it when I want.

I also wish I could stop burning my bread.

This is probably why my mother refuses to use the broiler. But what can I say? I like catching food on fire inside the oven.

In normal news, I can’t stop thinking about these cupcakes. Literally… can’t stop thinking about them. They kept me up last night. I am dying to make them again. That may be on the agenda this evening.

30 Responses to “Brussels Brunching.”

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 22, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

I love that TJ’s pumpkin butter, it’s awesome. The outer leaves of the sprouts are actually my favorite part! I roast mine and usually the random leaves get the saltiest and the crispiest. Like little sprout chips, if you will.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — October 22, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

what a creative combination – the pumpkin butter & cheese. sounds good to me!

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 22, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

You’re making me want cheese. This is bad.

claire — October 22, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

I’ve been all about the brussels too recently…weird! Ha, but pumpkin butter and cheese, definitely interesting…

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — October 22, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I want that pumpkin butter/mozz sandwich in the world’s worst way. Please ship it to Seattle.

Susan — October 22, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

Mmm I love brunch!

And I get so mad when I chop up brussels and they completely fall apart. I think I saw Michael Simon fry the leftover leaves on Iron Chef once. I bet those tasted awesome. If only my kitchen had a deep fryer!

• Jessica — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

I DO have a deep fryer. Never tried it yet. I think this would be an excellent idea though.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life — October 22, 2010 @ 1:18 pm

Pumpkin and cheese? More vegetables? Is this real life?

• Jessica — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Hahaha! Love it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 22, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

I LOVE Brussels sprouts!! Although I agree that I feel like so much goes to waste when I chop them. Did you just throw them under the broiler? This might sound weird but I actually like a little charring on my veggies!

• Jessica — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Not weird at all! Charred is the only way I can eat them. And I pan roasted them with salt and olive oil, then added balsamic vinegar at the end.

• Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Oh yes can’t forget the balsamic! Yumm I want a big bowl of them right now lol. Oooh and ps, guessss what arrived on my doorstep yesterday!?! Thank you so much again – I’ll be featuring one of the bottles on my blog next week!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — October 22, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Your lunch looks absolutely delectable! I’m a nut for roasted brussel sprouts (I love them with toasted pine nuts, a little balsamic, and tons of minced garlic). The cheesy bread looks like the perfect addition. It’s not weird at all!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 22, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

pumpkin butter and mozzarella?! sounds really good/weird :)

Matt — October 22, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

Mmm I love fresh mozzarella :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 22, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

I heard an ad on the radio the other day from Trader Joe’s and how they think that we should give that pumpkin butter out instead of candy. I am a pure lover of pumpkin, but I am thinking the kids would not appreciate that as much as I would.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 22, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

“Getting used to being home and a different schedule is always a challenge”—all you need to do now is get pregnant, gain 40 lbs, and then lactate and get no sleep. Then being at home and on a whole diff schedule takes on realllllllly new meaning :)

The brussles, I eat any and all pieces of it aside from the dirtiest ones. The outer ones are…fine. For me at least :)

And the spilled vinegar…I spilled 32 OUNCES of sweet, hot tea all over my kitchen a month or so ago. I blogged about it. 6 weeks later i am STILL finding tea droplets on random spoons deep inside drawers. i feel your pain!

Kim in MD — October 22, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

I’m so proud that you are eating vegetables again (and without bacon?)! The pumpkin butter/mozzarella combo is a little strange, but in an interesting way! If you say it’s good, then I believe you! Your bread looks perfectly broiled to me- I love those little burnt edges.

Oh- and your line ” I have vinegar in cracks and crevices that one should not have vinegar” cracked me up (and reminded me of the sushi scene in the Sex and The City movie)! Samantha’s line was “I have wasabi in places where one should not have wasabi”…you are too funny! ;-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 22, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

I have eaten so many brussels sprouts in the last week, I’m surprised I haven’t turned into one! No, seriously… I’m not joking.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 22, 2010 @ 4:26 pm

I would never think to pair pumpkin with mozzarella!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — October 22, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

Okay, I’m totally right there with you. I’m a stay at home mom now and I still get up early but by the time I’m done feeding and changing the little guy and doing other random mom type things I don’t end up eating until 10!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 22, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

That mozzarella melts so beautifully :-) I want it.

Wei-Wei — October 22, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

Mmmmm. Balsamic reduction on the stove… literally.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 23, 2010 @ 4:39 am

um, can i please come over for lunch? those sandwiches look amazing

MelissaNibbles — October 23, 2010 @ 5:03 am

Oh, I love brussels. I’m coming over.

katie@cozydelicious — October 23, 2010 @ 7:40 am

Ooh Jess… the pumpkin butter and cheese combo sounds amazing. Its got my mind spinning. Maybe that would ame for a great holiday dip? Or a yummy tart?
    And I’m glad you are enjoying your new lifestyle!

Amanda — October 24, 2010 @ 5:23 am

I burn bread too. And well, everything else I cook. Ans spill things.

A lot.

BLessings!
    Amanda

Natalia Baage — October 24, 2010 @ 9:22 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one who like brussel sprouts! Try them with garlic – put them in a pan coated with spray oil and just let them sit for a while with some copped garlic or garlic powder, if you wish. So delicious!

Kacy — October 25, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Every time I see a brussels sprout on your blog, I feel happiness in my soul.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Brussels Brunching. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com