This is the first year that I’ve bought these adorable little pie pumpkins.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

I think they are so much cuter than those other small decorative pumpkins. I didn’t want to butcher them, but I sacrificed two for this soup.

I realize that there is a whole slew of you out there that is sick of seeing pumpkin. I won’t lie. I’m a little sick of it too. But this soup doesn’t need pumpkin. I simply used the pumpkin shells as a vehicle for the soup. And I didn’t want to waste some of the pumpkin that I scooped out, so it got pureed in the soup.
But the best part of the soup is the apple and the squash. I suspect that some sweet potatoes would be a delicious addition as well.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

I baked the pumpkin for a few minutes to soften up what was left inside, but not too long so it would still be firm enough to hold the soup.

I wasn’t sure if I would love this dish, but it was fabulous. The apple adds a bit of sweetness and I loved the addition of the sage. Sometimes I am scared of fresh herbs, like sage, because of their resemblance to green veggies. I know. I’m odd. I also threw in some half and half to make the soup more bisque like. And the crunchy, toasted pecans on top? They are perfect.
The only way this would be more perfect is if it had bacon. Why didn’t I think of that sooner?

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

Harvest Apple Soup

adapted from Eating Well

serves about 4

2 apples, chopped (with skins on)

1/2 cup chopped pumpkin (I got about 1 cup from 2 pie pumpkins)

1 cup chopped butternut squash

1 clove garlic, chopped

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon chopped sage

4 cups broth (I used chicken)

1/3 cup half and half (or milk/heavy cream)

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

chopped, toasted pecans for garnish

Preheat oven to 400.

Lay chopped apples, squash and pumpkin on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss with sage. Sprinkle chopped garlic on top. Roast for 20 minutes, toss, and roast for another 15 minutes.

In a blender, add 1-2 cups of squash mix with 1 cup of broth and puree. Transfer to a large pot and continue with remaining squash and broth – this will most likely have to be done in batches depending on your blender size. One the soup is in a dutch oven or pot, stir in smoked paprika, season with salt and pepper, and stir in half and half. Cook for 20-30 minutes on low heat.

Serve in bowls (or pumpkin bowls) and garnish with toasted pecans.

Harvest Apple Soup I howsweeteats.com

So how sick are you of seeing pumpkin? Let it all out. I might take a pumpkin break. After I eat 3 pumpkin cookies for breakfast.

87 Responses to “Harvest Apple Soup.”

Megan (Braise The Roof) — October 14, 2010 @ 9:24 am

Bacon would be PERFECT crumbled on top of this soup! Jessica, what’s happening to you?? ;)

Soup looks great!

Blond Duck — October 14, 2010 @ 9:35 am

That’s so CUTE!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — October 14, 2010 @ 10:51 am

I must have this! It looks so delicious! I haven’t been into soups like this my entire life but this year I’ve really been wanting to make them this fall. I have a home grown butternut squash in my fridge and I’m on a limb about what to use it for! This would be perfect.

Taylor — October 14, 2010 @ 11:00 am

It looks sooo adorable in those little pumpkins!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 14, 2010 @ 11:03 am

You are beyond creative. I have seen other people put soup in pumpkins this year but honestly prior to like a week ago, I had never ever seen that before. Clearly I have been living under a rock! The flavors look awesome!

And congrats on being DONE!!!!!!!! WEight of world. Lifted.

Kacy — October 14, 2010 @ 11:34 am

I don’t like pumpkin, but I love cute food… so I’m in!

Karen — October 14, 2010 @ 11:39 am

This soup looks really yummy! I love the combo of squash, pumpkin, & apples!

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 14, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Actually I’m not tired of pumpkin yet…bring it on!

Jenny — October 14, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

I am so in love with your pictures! That soup looks delicious!

Cara — October 14, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Sounds delish! I love how roasting the apples really brings out the sweet flavor; I’ve also made the same kind of soup with pears instead. And to answer your question, I’m not at all sick of pumpkin – in the list of meal ideas I’ve jotted down for next week, I think 4/5 are pumpkin-y!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — October 14, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

No pumpkin sickness here! Those are so adorable. I made a kind of similar butternut squash soup with apple. It. Is. So. Good.

Sahi — October 14, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

Love that yummm. I will surely try this out!
    Keep in touch
    xx
    Sahi

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 14, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

This is picture perfect. So pretty. So profesh. Love it! And no, I’m not sick of pumpkin yet, although I have yet to eat anything with pumpkin in it. Need to get on that!

homecookedem — October 14, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

That soup sounds so good and your presentation is so lovely!!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe — October 14, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

The soup looks delicious! And so pretty in the pumpkins.

Somehow I just stumbled onto your blog, but it was an older post and I didn’t even realize it! Anyway, now that I found your current post – hi!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 14, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Looks like a lovely recipe! I get bored with plain butternut squash/pumpkin soups, but I think the addition of apple is PERFECT! And yes, it’d be lovely with bacon.

Cara — October 14, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

I won’t get sick of seeing pumpkins for a while, so don’t hold back!
    Pumpkins only shine once a year, they deserve to be highlighted.

Sarah — October 14, 2010 @ 8:00 pm

Wow!! This looks great – and BEAUTIFUL!! Lovely pictures too!!

Courtney — October 14, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE your recipes!!! LOOOOOVE.

Moni'sMeals — October 14, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

Such a beautiful recipe! I am so not sick of Pumpkin yet, I buy more and more cans every time I am at the store so I will be set when it is out.:)
    I am for sure going to make this (or similar to it) because I also have all the ingredients. Well done! :)

Art and Appetite — October 15, 2010 @ 2:50 am

Jessica, you know, I am already planning this presentation for Thanksgiving–just never had a good recipe to match it with. Well now, thanks to you, I have one! Thanks!

Brenna (fabuleuxdestin) — October 15, 2010 @ 3:20 am

That looks so yummy! beautiful presentation as well ;)

Louise — October 15, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

just stumbled onto your blog… very nice, i just did a soup just like this…
    Chef Louise

Andrea — October 16, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

SO not tired of pumpkin yet. I want to try this soup! But we have no squash, no broth, and no pecans! What a horribly stocked pantry.

Kate@pomelopleasures — October 17, 2010 @ 4:09 pm

That soup is so pretty! I love it!

Briana S — January 31, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

I was just wondering I have everything for this soup except all I have is pumpkin puree how do you sub that for the pumpkin cubes?

Jackie — October 29, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

Hi, I know this is a dumb question, but how exactly do I chop a pumpkin? Does that just mean to scoop out the inside contents and chop that, or am I suppose to tear up the pumpkin and chop the entire pumpkin (skin and everything)?

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Harvest Apple Soup. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Souped Up « Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat