Truth be told, I am a panko freak. Regular breadcrumbs don’t even do it for me anymore. So when I stumbled upon this method for homemade panko, I practically leapt with joy. It may be lacking in the butter and sugar department, but it is essential. I knew I needed to share it with you.

Panko can be quite expensive and the packages are so tiny that I can plow through an entire one while making a single batch of healthy chicken fingers. Now that I can make my own? I’m going to bread everything with panko. Get ready for panko breaded bacon.

This could not be more simple. All you do is cut the bread into strips, attach the “shredder” on your food processor and feed the bread through.

See how the crumbs are bigger?

Lay them on a baking sheet and bake until just crispy – but not brown.

And you have easy, quick whole wheat panko! I had no idea it was so simple.

Homemade Whole Wheat Panko

recipe source

makes about 3-4 cups

8 slices of 100% whole wheat bread

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Cut the bread into strips. Using the shredder attachment on your food processor, feed the bread into the machine. One you are done shredding, lay the crumbs out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 6-8 minutes, shaking and tossing every 2 minutes or so. You don’t want the crumbs to be brown, just crispy.

Last night I used these panko crumbs to make asiago breaded pork chops and we devoured them like we had never seen food before. Are you riding the panko train yet? If not, I really encourage you to try them. I have only had great success and absolutely love the texture they provide!

142 Responses to “Homemade Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs.”

Janae Jacobs — October 27, 2010 @ 4:35 pm

I am never buying breadcrumbs again! Thanks!

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 27, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

I don’t have a real food processor, so I can’t make these. BUT! I get gallon-sized plastic bags full of panko for $2 at the local Asian market, so I’m not too worried about it. They’re not whole-wheat, but that’s not a huge bother to me.

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 27, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Genius! I wonder how well gluten-free bread would work…I’m thinking my gluten-free friends just might be able to experience the wonders of panko after all!

• Jackie Fretwell — September 19th, 2013 @ 6:41 pm

Just made some gluten free breadcrumbs from some brag I made and it turned out great. I’ll be making gluten free cheese sticks this weekend with them!

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — October 27, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

Wow that is super easy! I just used some pre-packaged panko tonight on fish. Pretty good!

Rachel Wilkerson — October 27, 2010 @ 7:12 pm

Seriously, that’s IT?!?!

I’m speechless.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — October 27, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I had NO idea at all that’s all panko was. Here I am not knowing I’ve had panko before, let alone not even knowing what it looked like! (Can’t ever find it when I’m at the store!)

• Jon — April 23rd, 2013 @ 1:29 am

I almost had to laugh after reading this article. Everyone is so amazed. If you read it on the internet it must be true. Yet this is not how to make panko. This is how you make normal bread crumbs, that apparently might look a bit like panko, but definitely do not provide the same texture. But if you really can’t tell the differece – go for it . Altough I challenge everyone to prepare your recipe both ways (with real panko and this imitation) – for most recipes you will immediately taste a difference – hence why panko is preferred for so many recipes. Panko crumbs are toasted after applying the batter to a screen. It makes the crumbs very uniform, light, airy, yet dry – a texture that you will not recreate by shredding prepared bread in a food processor.

• Stephanie — October 19th, 2013 @ 3:34 pm

The only difference between regular large fluffy homemade bread crumbs and so called panko bread crumbs is that panko crumbs are without the crust. Cut the crusts off, continue as follows, and you have panko crumbs. Stop being so snobbish about it. I love crust, bring it on.

• James — January 22nd, 2014 @ 12:19 pm

Ordinary bread crumbs are roundish and chunky in shape. Panko crumbs are long flat and thin – like tiny flakes or shards. That’s why panko crumbed foods look spiky – very different looking from standard bread crumbs. Because of their special shape, panko crumbs also absorb less oil which makes the food lighter and crunchier. So the magic in a panko crumb is the special crumb shape which needs a special process to make it. You can’t just make it at home.

janetha — October 27, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

This is great. Thanks! I always have a hard time finding whole wheat panko and end up getting regular. Awesome news I can make my own.

Katrina — October 28, 2010 @ 3:43 am

Thanks for the tip! This will save me a ton of money.

Savannah P — October 28, 2010 @ 3:50 am

Wow wow wow! Girl you’re brilliant. Thanks for this you saved me so much $ on CRUMBS, hahaha. Can’t wait to give this a go; I love that it’s whole wheat.
    xo!

Nicole, RD — October 28, 2010 @ 7:30 am

I love panko too…so much better than breadcrumbs! I’ll have to make my own…if I have a shredder attachement and if I can find it if I do…

Eliana — October 28, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

What a neat trick! I am OBSSESSED with panko and will deifnitely be using this technique to make them. Thanks so much for sharing.

the Sharp Wife — October 28, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

What an awesome idea! I have made whole wheat bread crumbs before but never even thought of trying this. We love Panko at our house, too. It gives the food such a great “fried” texture. Thanks for sharing!

natalie (the sweets life) — October 29, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

WHOA this is awesome and brilliant and i can’t wait to try :)

Torrie @ a place to share... — October 29, 2010 @ 10:56 pm

Hi Jessica,

I wrote a post about Needing to seriously get active again the other day, and my SIL sent me a link to your blog. LOVE IT. In fact, I included a picture and link to this panko recipe/post. Thanks for sharing! I look forward to spending more time digging through your blog… already read quite a bit- in a very short amount of time! Love your recipes, humor, honesty, wit, and passion for writing, fitness, and food. If you want to see the post…

I can’t wait to make the panko!

debby from Carlsbad, CA — February 5, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Thanks for sharing. This can be modified with gluten free bread, Flax bread. I’m making it tonight and using it in a eggplant parmesian recipe.

AikoVenus — July 1, 2011 @ 4:29 am

These sound great! I planned on making some panko tonight for some Korean-style “wingz”.

CAMILLE — August 5, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

THANKS SO MUCH !! I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW YOU HOW STORE THEM,,,FRIG? JUST A CONTAINER IN A PANTRY? HOW LONG DO THEY KEEP? THANKS AGAIN CAMILLE

• Jessica — August 5th, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

I store mine in the pantry and have always used them within weeks before they could ever go bad!

helga — November 27, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

it seems you’re making regular breakcrumbs, not panko, and I say so because all recipes i’ve read tell that for panko the japanese remove the crust.

helga — November 27, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

wow, I stand corrected…”Panko is made from bread baked by passing an electric current through the dough, yielding bread without crusts, and it has a crisper, airier texture than most types of breading found in Western cuisine.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panko

idiosyncraticeye — November 30, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

Hmm, I’ve heard of panko but never met it. This kinda looks like how I make ‘normal’ breadcrumbs – toast bread then grate! :)

Bailey — December 22, 2011 @ 8:38 pm

Do you ever add any herbs or seasonings to it?

Melinda — December 28, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Love it!!! How long do you suppose it will hold up if made in advance?

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

They should hold up for a few weeks!

Beth — December 30, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Panko is crustless. Cut the crust off before putting in the processor.

phyllis — May 1, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

where can I buy panko flakes..what supermarket carries this item..thanks

Leslie — July 16, 2012 @ 9:59 am

Can you toast them frst, then grate them? Seems to me if the bread is fresh it may not shred well, may be too soft too shred?? Any thoughts?

• Jessica — July 16th, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I don’t think, I think if you do it that way they will just crumble first instead of being the flakey, thicker panko-style.

Leslie — July 16, 2012 @ 12:01 pm

OK thanks Jessica!

Eddie — August 19, 2012 @ 8:10 am

Panko can be crustless or with crust. It used to be an old wives tale to make kids eat their bread crust. However researchers have now proven there is MINIMAL nutrition left in the crust. So cutting away the bread crust can actually be more nutritious.

Ashton Souza — October 29, 2012 @ 1:41 pm

Its easy to prepare Panko breading. Soak 4 sliced bread in 1 cup milk.Add 1 table spoon iiquid flour(1tbs flour mixed with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 2 tbs water) Beat with an egg beater. Drain the milk and bake the flakes in the oven, on low temperature till the flakes become crisp. Use as required.

Erik — January 26, 2013 @ 9:11 am

Real “Panko” is made with crust-less bread.

• Judi — February 22nd, 2014 @ 5:17 pm

It is the electrifying of the dough that makes the Panko crust-less and a different texture that apparently resists as much oil absorption.
      The above is making breadcrumbs.

Erick Houchen — April 22, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Dry breadcrumbs are made from dry bread which has been baked or toasted to remove most remaining moisture, and may even have a sandy or even powdery texture. Bread crumbs are most easily produced by pulverizing slices of bread in a food processor, using a steel blade to make coarse crumbs, or a grating blade to make fine crumbs. A grater or similar tool will also do.-

Remember to look out for our own internet page

Tonie Exantus — April 26, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

Gluten-free fad diets have recently become popular. A 2012 study concluded “There is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. Indeed, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity..

Check out all of the most popular short article at our own online site
    <http://www.caramoantourpackage.com/

Mikki Grollman — April 26, 2013 @ 5:57 pm

Gluten is the composite of a gliadin and a glutenin, which is conjoined with starch in the endosperm of various grass-related grains. The prolamin and glutelin from wheat (gliadin, which is alcohol-soluble, and glutenin, which is only soluble in dilute acids or alkalis) constitute about 80% of the protein contained in wheat fruit. Being insoluble in water, they can be purified by washing away the associated starch. Worldwide, gluten is a source of protein, both in foods prepared directly from sources containing it, and as an additive to foods otherwise low in protein.:

My favorite webpage
    <http://www.caramoan.co/

Brooke — July 8, 2013 @ 11:47 am

I don’t have a food processor and I’m trying to make mozzarella sticks how else could I shred the bread up into bread crumbs?

Ken — August 20, 2013 @ 12:58 pm

Your recipe is correct with one major exception. Panko is made from crust-less bread. Traditional Japanese panko is made by passing an electric current through the dough to cook it so that it’s crust-less. This recipe would be more accurate if the crusts were trimmed from the bread first.

best paid webcam sites — September 5, 2013 @ 7:11 am

Yes! Finally someone writes about adult modeling websites.

vitamix 5200 refurbished — September 8, 2013 @ 9:51 pm

Now that’s a good question. I honestly don’t know. If I were in town right
    now, I would try an ice cube of it and let you
    know. I think I’ve read on the cartons not to freeze, but I can’t be sure.
    I’ll have to get back to you on that one!

Connie — November 25, 2013 @ 2:55 am

How to make Panko if u don”t have a processor & can”t afford one?

Olen — November 27, 2013 @ 3:54 am

The problem here is that Panko is supposed to have the crust removed.

Michael — February 6, 2014 @ 6:26 pm

Good way to use up an old loaf of French bread before it goes bad!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Homemade Panko Breadcrumbs | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Superbowl Eats | The Lean Green Bean

3. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: I LOVE ASPARAGUS (even if it makes “things” smell weird) « Sharon's Shenanigans

5. Pingback: Buttermilk Soaked Parmesan Baked Pork Chops | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Healthy, Crunchy Asiago Chicken Nugget Recipe | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Coconut Baked Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Salsa | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Feelin’ Like a little kid again « feelinlightonmyfeet

9. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « intothewebb

10. Pingback: Quest for the Best Side: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks « allbetternow

11. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks. « attempting2cook

13. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks | Us Girls..Our Views

14. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus | Lynes In Love

15. Pingback: On The Menu | beccamahoneytochman

16. Pingback: Kyllinge-nuggets med ravioli-/majssalat……..

17. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Oven Fried Green Tomato Caprese Stacks. | Lifestyle Pins

19. Pingback: Gingersnap Crusted Salmon | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Crispy Acorn Squash Rounds | How Sweet It Is

21. Pingback: Broiled Asiago Heirloom Tomatoes | How Sweet It Is

22. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Asparagus « sower sewer so her

23. Pingback: Thanksgiving things | Amanda's New Life

24. Pingback: double bean burger patty melts | HoneyMash.com

25. Pingback: Weekending 01.07.2013 | Amanda's New Life

26. Pingback: Still More Cheap Tricks - Real Cheap Food

27. Pingback: Jalapeño Cheddar Chicken Meatball Sandwiches. | Food & Recipes

28. Pingback: Seared Salmon with Dijon Cream Recipe | Doomestic ProductionsDoomestic Productions

29. Pingback: Homemade Whole Grain Panko | Food, Nutrition & Fitness Done Right

30. Pingback: Breaded Mustard Pork Chops | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

31. Pingback: Baked Coconut Shrimp with Pineapple Peach Sauce | Oh, Hey, Jamie Bakes

32. Pingback: Crispy BBQ Chicken Fingers & Jade Green Vegetables | A Social Worker's Personal Culinary Therapy...

33. Pingback: Monday Munchies: Lemon Chicken Romano | Captivated by Cooking

34. Pingback: Honey Roasted Vegetable + Smoked Gouda Baked Penne. | pinmeplease

35. Pingback: White Cheddar + Arugula Pesto Mac and Cheese | How Sweet It Is

36. Pingback: Left-Handedness (Recipe: Honey Roasted Vegetable and Smoked Gouda Baked Penne) | Oven Lovin' Runnin'

37. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli | How Sweet It Is

38. Pingback: {recipe : fontina & spinach baked eggs with garlic brown butter breadcrumbs} « This is Glamorous This is Glamorous

39. Pingback: Pan-Crisped Salmon with Light Dijon Cream and Garlic Butter Breadcrumbs » Boston Maternity Photographer, Newborn Photographer, Children's Photographer, Family Photographer, Massachusetts