Mr. How Sweet and I are spending a long weekend in DC!

It is one of my favorite places because I am an American history geek. It was my major in college before I switched it… multiple times.

You can imagine that after driving 4 hours and being stuck in some major traffic that hungry-angry husband syndrome was starting to set in. First plan of business was to get some food and drink. Luckily it was happy hour.

I’m sure you’re going to have a tough time figuring out who ordered what.

[those are BLUE cheese fries. otherwise know as heaven.]

Any guesses as to what Mr. How Sweet drinks?

I really want to see some guesses in the comments section. Because I will be shocked if anyone can figure it out.

After eating, we met up with my cousin Lacy.

We walked blocks upon blocks, starting at Chinatown and walking to see a few monuments at night. It was really chilly!

Then we got some thai food since we didn’t sufficiently stuff ourselves earlier.

We had such a fun time at dinner!

Mr. How Sweet and I just got back from a delicious breakfast. It was overflowing with fresh figs and bowls of whipped cream and every granola known to man. We *thought* it was the complimentary breakfast.

Turns out it was a $50 breakfast buffet. Now we will have to eat $4 cheeseburgers the rest of the trip.

Off to walk it off!

43 Responses to “Mr. How Sweet and Me in DC.”

Matt — October 16, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Damn a $50 buffet? Time to hit the dollar menu!

Was it worth it?

• Jessica — October 16th, 2010 @ 6:37 am

It was really delicious – and I usually refuse to eat at buffets. If we had know it was that expensive when we started, we would have gone back for seconds!!

barefootgirl27 — October 16, 2010 @ 6:18 am

LOVE those fries!!! OH EM GEE!!

I’m guessing his drink has some SoCo on it????

• Mr. How Sweet — October 16th, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Mr. How Sweet says, “No SoCo.”

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 16, 2010 @ 6:49 am

$50 buffet? Ridiculous!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 16, 2010 @ 6:52 am

Oh no!!! I would have been so mad if I ate a 50 dollar breakfast! That is insane!

Terri Ab — October 16, 2010 @ 6:53 am

You have a beautiful day for walking around. Enjoy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 16, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Haha.. $50 buffet.. oops! That happened to me once. Not sure about Mr. How Sweet’s drink, but if it’s the juice-y looking one, maybe something to do with vodka and orange juice??

Stephy — October 16, 2010 @ 7:04 am

Beautiful weekend to be visiting DC. I’m headed to Pier 6 tonight for a concert, and I have some friends that will be in DC. Have a fabulous time!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 16, 2010 @ 7:11 am

what a fun weekend trip! i would have been so annoyed about the buffet also, especially since you didn’t have sufficient notice to stuff yourself:-)

Jill — October 16, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Keep us up to date with where you eat and what you see. I have a surprise trip to DC planned for my husband next month and would love dining ideas!
    Have a great time!

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — October 16, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Ohhh, I love D.C.! Hubbs and I went to visit friends in D.C. in August and had a blast. There is SO much to see and do! Looks like you lovebirds are having fun!:)

Gosh, though- can’t believe how expensive things are! Yikes!

Jane B — October 16, 2010 @ 7:27 am

A $50 breakfast??? For real??? Breakfast is awesome but no breakfast should cost THAT much!
    Gorgeous pics of DC…as for that drink, I have no idea. It looks like orange cordial (don’t know if you have that in the US). Though the presence of a lime half indicates it might be a bit stronger than that.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 16, 2010 @ 7:28 am

I love DC! I was just there this summer. Those bleu cheese fries sound AMAZING. What restaurant was that at? My family and I are going back to DC this summer and I think I may just have to drag them there to order them!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 16, 2010 @ 7:55 am

OMG!!! HAHAHAHA, a $50 buffet!!!! Too funny. Gorgeous pics! :) I’m going to DC next month. OK, Mr. HS looks like he’s drinking something fruity… with orange and vodka maybe? Twist of lime… hmmm… looks good to me!

Erica — October 16, 2010 @ 8:59 am

Have fun this weekend!Food looks great so far. $50 breakfast? That is ridiculousness. Hmmm is it pineapple orange juice and vodka?

• Mr. How Sweet — October 16th, 2010 @ 9:45 am

Mr. How Sweet can confirm that there was both pineapple and orange juice in that drink. Mr. How Sweet hates scurvy.

Ashley — October 16, 2010 @ 9:02 am

Fancy breakfast buffet? Where was my invite??? Sounds like such a fun time so far…glad you guys were able to get away for the weekend!! xo

Kristina @ spabettie — October 16, 2010 @ 9:08 am

hmm. vodka soda orange grenadine?

have a fun weekend !!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 16, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Long island or a greyhound ?

Kim in MD — October 16, 2010 @ 11:06 am

I am so excited that you are in D.C. today…the weather is absolutely perfect (I live about 30 minutes from D.C.)! Your photos are gorgeous, as usual!

I am appalled about the $50.00 buffet! Wow!

Mr. How Sweet’s drink- is that a Mai Tai or a Rum Runner?

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 16, 2010 @ 11:25 am

Oh no! What a shock to find out it cost that much! It sounds like you’re having a very fun time though. :-D

Sana — October 16, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

Ahhh! You are so close to me!!!! I hope you enjoy your trip!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy — October 16, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

Blue cheese fries really exist?!?!?! A piece of heaven is right.

Natalie — October 16, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Mr. How Sweet’s drink looks like either a Rum Runner or a Mai Tai? The food you guys ordered looks awesome.

Have a wonderful time in DC! I love it there. If you have time, visit Old Town Alexandria in Virginia. It’s so quaint and beautiful.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — October 16, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

The blue cheese fries DO look like heaven :) Why aren’t they served more places?!

Bummer about the breakfast buffet–at least the granola options sound good!

Enjoy your weekend fun in DC :)

Lauren — October 16, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

PLEASE tell us it was $50 for the both of you. I live in Vegas “buffet central” and our most expensive ($75 per) includes champagne, sturgeon caviar, rack of lamb, sushi, etc. See you here next road trip? smile.

I’m guessing the Mr. might be a tequila man. Florida Sunrise (teq, oj, pine) or California Iced Tea.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 16, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

fun! what a way to celebrate y’alls anniversary and a new beginning! :)

Jen — October 16, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

OMG WHERE did you get those blue cheese fries? I sooooo need to go there the next time we head to DC!!! You need to go to Founding Farmers and Old Ebbitt Grill. Old Ebbitt Grill has REALLY good crab cakes. I don’t usually order them because you just never know but they are their most popular menu item and oh so amazing!

We ate at the Tune Inn when we were down last month… it was featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network. The bf got the beer battered deep fried burger *gag* and LOVED it. It was most definitely a dive but the burgers were awesome!!!

• Jessica — October 17th, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

We got the fries at the Daily Grill! We wanted to go to the Old Ebbitt Grill but ended up being too tired and old.

• Jen — October 17th, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

You definitely need to hit Old Ebbitt Grill next time! We walked soooooooo much our first trip to DC that we completely burned ourselves out so now we just jump on the Metro more, it makes it more fun that way. You want something good, walk to Georgetown (Foggy Bottom is the closest Metro stop and isn’t close lol) and go to Baked & Wired for cupcakes. Then walk up the street to Dean & Deluca!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — October 16, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

omg that sucks..the $50 buffet. That is just not right. At all. I would be talking to the manager on duty!

Drink guess
    OJ + tequilla + lime
    or perhaps it would be vodka not tequilla.

the food looks wonderful but love the pics of you guys!

amer history geek, and major before switching it?!! I would have NEVER EVER pegged that one!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — October 16, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

$50!?!?! That’s crazy.

Although you did just make me realize that granola fits into my ridiculous gluten free diet

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear — October 17, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I’m in love with thos blue cheese fries :P

MelissaNibbles — October 17, 2010 @ 2:45 am

I’ve never been to D.C. We wanted to go for the Rally For Sanity, but it’ll be too packed and I’m anti-social so we’re going to watch it on tv instead. I’ll get down there one day.

Becca — October 17, 2010 @ 6:08 am

OMG… I don’t care what’s in the alcoholic beverage because I don’t drink. What I DO care about is those amazing looking blue cheese fries! I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again… I MUST stop reading your blog first thing in the morning. Wait a sec… dairy products aren’t so bad for breakfast, and lots of people have potatoes for breakfast… BRING ON THE CHEESE FRIES!

Caitlin — October 17, 2010 @ 7:19 am

OK that food looks amazing. And it’s 9 a.m. as I type this.

Also, any pineapple infused vodka in that drink? I really want to know what it is!

jill — October 17, 2010 @ 7:39 am

I love DC, have a great time! If you want to check out a cool place for dinner and are a top chef fan, check out Mike Isabelle’s restaurant, I think its in China Town.

Hmmmm, did Mr How Sweet have a carribean rum punch – rum, pineapple and orange juice?

• Mr. How Sweet — October 17th, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

You got it. Mr. How Sweet loves him some beach drinks.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 17, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

Mmmmmmmmmm those fries look REDIC!!!!

Kacy — October 18, 2010 @ 8:02 am

Doesn’t Mr. How Sweet like Ketel One vodka? Maybe?

• Jessica — October 18th, 2010 @ 11:34 am

Yes! He LOVES it.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Mr. How Sweet and Me in DC. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com