I’m warning you. I’m about to drop at least 100 points on your coolness scale. But that is okay. I think my kitchen playlist will show you just how much of an lost old soul I am.

The truth is, I love listening to “older” classics, but I really enjoy newer versions of them. There are countless reasons for this, one being that I am incredibly awkward and can’t relate to my peers. But I will highlight the majors below. Music is nostalgic for me, and I am a very nostalgic person.

• I love listening to songs sang by Frank Sinatra and the like, because it reminds me of Mother Lovett and my mom’s dad (Mother Lovett’s first husband, the one I never met) dancing around their living room. I have no idea if this ever happened, but I like to think it did. She loved music like this and loved to dance.
  • I love listening to easy listening music that would put most people my age to sleep (like Kenny G) because it reminds me of the nights when my parents would go out when I was a little girl. The lighting was dim, my mom smelled like White Diamonds and had way too many poofs on her shoulders, and my dad smelled like Old Spice. They were the perfect couple and set the bar very high for what I would want someday.
  • I’ve told you how much I love listening to James Taylor before, so that really needs no explanation. It reminds me most of long drives to Michigan when I wanted to physically harm my brothers in the backseat. You get what I’m saying.
  • I love listening to old school Kenny Loggins (is there even new school Kenny Loggins?) because it reminds me of riding in the front seat of my mom’s car on really hot summer days. We usually weren’t going anywhere fun, it might have just been the store. But she played those CDs over and over again.
  • I love listening to Steve Tyrell because it reminds me of my paternal grandparents and how classy and elegant they were together as a couple. They were stunning and in love and again – set the bar impossibly high.

So I present to you… my kitchen playlist.

This really isn’t just my kitchen playlist. It’s my everything-but-working-out playlist. I have it on when I cook, bake, feel like laying around, or clean… which we all know is almost never. My floors and furniture are already crying out in pain. The playlist doesn’t change much, besides me changing or adding songs from decades long ago.

Mr. How Sweet really doesn’t like this kind of music at all, and I get very sad because of that. But I keep playing it to annoy him in hopes that one day he will love it.

Tell me – what kind of music do you listen to in the kitchen? Share your playlist or a few of your favorite songs!

75 Responses to “My Kitchen Playlist.”

Jess — October 28, 2010 @ 11:26 am

I looove it had to be you. I swam to it (synchronized swimming) and became obsessed with the song!!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 11:29 am

Wow – that is awesome. I’d love to see it. Do you have a video or anything?

• Jess — October 28th, 2010 @ 11:47 am

I do! I’m actually working on uploading all my synchro videos to my computer and blog …but I don’t really know what I’m doing! Haha. But I can email it to you when I do!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 11:56 am

That would be great! Let me know when.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 28, 2010 @ 11:29 am

i go more along the lines of club music, but i LOVE every single one of these songs too :) i also love some jack johnson in there too :)

Emily — October 28, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Isn’t Michael Buble great? He bridges the contemporary and the classic so well! I love listening to mellow music like Sara Bareilles and The Fray in the kitchen. Sometimes I’ll turn on their Pandora stations for a little variety!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 28, 2010 @ 11:33 am

Don’t worry, you haven’t lost any coolness points in my books! My kitchen tunes vary. When I was little my family used to go to a cottage in the Rockies and they’d listen to Rod Stewart, and listening to those songs now reminds me of being a kid. Sometimes when I’m cleaning (usually the kitchen!) I like to listen to my teeny-bopper tunes – Spice Girls, B4-4, Soul Decision, B*Witched, O-Town, N’Sync, BSB…. oh ya.. if that doesn’t make my coolness points plummet, I don’t know what will!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Oh my gosh… O-Town!! I loved them! And I still have Spice Girls songs on my workout playlist. No shame.

• Bethany — October 28th, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

I was listening to BSB’s greatest hits Sunday night when I was cleaning the kitchen….don’t think I’ll ever outgrow them!

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — October 28, 2010 @ 11:35 am

I <3 Frank Sinatra and James Taylor! I also like listening Jack Johnson in the kitchen… his music makes me happy.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — October 28, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I love Frank Sinatra and Jame Taylor! I also love listening to Jack Johnson in the kitchen… his music makes me happy :)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — October 28, 2010 @ 11:49 am

I have 3 Michael Buble cds in permanent rotation in my kitchen. That and the country station and Christian station are my playlists of choice. So you see, I have no room to criticize :)

maggie — October 28, 2010 @ 11:50 am

I’m big on listening to music from Glee and Broadway showtunes when I cook. Not very cool, but it makes me happy! I like a lot of the songs you have on your list too – have you checked out the Muse version of “Feeling Good”? (I noticed you have the Buble one) I think I like it even more than Buble’s!

• Jennie — January 15th, 2011 @ 2:48 am

Me too!! Love Glee and showtunes and love to sing really loud while I’m cooking. My boys don’t love it so much. :)

janetha g. @ meals & moves — October 28, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Some people post their workout playlist. You post your kitchen playlist. This is why we get along and I love you.

Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — October 28, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

I love Michael Buble and all of his music—puts me at ease. :) And I love how you listen to Beyonce’s Ave Maria. I was such a hater of her version until recently, and now I’m obsessed.

I don’t really listen to songs when I’m in the kitchen, but the other day I was unsuccessfully separating eggs and I kept getting yolks into my whites. I got pissed. I left the kitchen and went to go put on Coolio’s “Gangster’s Paradise” and it made me feel a lot better.

• Bethany — October 28th, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

haha, Gagsta’s Paradise! That’s totally something I’d do to get my revenge on those darn eggs….

Rachel — October 28, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

love, love, love the song “paperweight”! and I too have a very deep love for james taylor and kenny loggins that was instilled in me by my mom :)

Kat — October 28, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Michael Buble all the way. Then I dance with my dogs in the kitchen while something is cooking and my husband eyes me carefully to see if maybe I got rabbies and lost my mind.

Matt — October 28, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Great playlist :)

You make me want to quit my job ;)

Maren — October 28, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

I love some of the music on there and some I don’t know that I’ve heard it…probably have though, I just don’t know it! I don’t really listen to music when I’m in the kitchen, unless it’s Christmas time. Then it’s Christmas music!!!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

I’m already listening to Christmas music. I have issues.

Evan Thomas — October 28, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

My Kitchen Playlist is Sugarland’s The Incredible Machine, Taylor Swift’s Speak Now, and Lady A’s Need You Know. I’m a country boy.

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Love them all too. So does my husband! That is his kind of music.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — October 28, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

My dad loves that James Taylor and Carole King album. Dont laugh, but my favorite cooking music is Taylor Swift!!

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — October 28, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

absolutely nothing wrong with james taylor! he’s great!

Eliana — October 28, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

You stayed right where you are on my coolness scale girl because this playlist rocks!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — October 28, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

I see some Michael Bublé there. I approve :)

Kayla — October 28, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

I too listen to some of this stuff, and I too get nostaligic because of it. I also LOVE that you have k.d. lang on there. Hehe!

Holly — October 28, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Ahh, I LOVE Frank Sinatra too!! I play him whenever I’m having a bad day & I BLAST it & sing with all of my heart! lol! :D
    No loss of cool points @ all! Loving the play list.

Rebecca — October 28, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

You crack me up…yeah, cool points, not sure I’ve had many if any in my possession, what are those? I mostly just jam to the satellite stations we have through our TV, but I won’t lie, it’s typically either Soft Rock, Love Songs, Music from the 90’s, sometimes with a little country, R&B, or classical thrown in. It’s all about variety!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 28, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

I love the song Paperweight!

I listen to a mix of whatever, or just the radio…

Meg — October 28, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

I love when people share their playlists! I like a lot of those artists too, HUGE fan of Michael Buble, Joshua Radin and James Taylor. I like a lot of Jack Johnson and Ben Harper when I’m hanging around the house too.

Bethany — October 28, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Over the Rhine

Found them accidentally on Pandora, but now I absolutely love them. A few of my favorites:

Let’s Spend the Day in Bed
    The World Can Wait
    I Want You to Be My Love
    She
    Spark

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 28, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

I absolutely love listening to Sinatra when I’m making Italian food. It reminds me of my family and adds a certain special something to the dishes I’m making. The three glasses of wine I drink while I cook probably help, too.

Rebekah — October 28, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

I have to say that your coolness factor just went up about 500 points with me! I like anything that makes me feel like a TV version of a 1950’s housewife. I envision myself in the kitchen with my hair done, make up done to perfection, the perfect dress and heels, a mixed drink or glass of wine and some awesome music playing in the background. In reality it is usually just me, hair a mess, no make up, sometimes still in my pajamas trying to be gourmet in the kitchen while the 12 and 2 year old are running around like crazy people and instead of music in the background it’s spongebob! Hey, a girl can dream can’t she? :)

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

This is it EXACTLY! Well, minus the kids. But I have a husband, so it’s kinda like I have kids.

Natalie — October 28, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

Hanson, Glee and Tyrone Wells… if its a hard recipe i bust out the hard stuff but that’s just to get the blood pumping :)

love all your stories behind your song choices…

Karen — October 28, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

I can completely relate with the old-soul-not-relating-to-peers thing. I’m an oddball when it comes to music – so, no coolness lost on me! ;)

I have waaayyy too many songs in my itunes, so I usually just hit shuffle and let it go – unless I’m in the mood for something specific. Genre-wise, I listen to just about anything, but when I’m cooking I usually like something more alternative/indie/folksy/oldies and a bunch in between :). I used to be a dancer, so music is very therapeutic to me. Some of the remakes you had on your list I haven’t heard yet and I’m excited to download them!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Kristina @ spabettie — October 28, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

a few Saturdays ago, I had a few too many cocktails (at home) and blasted old songs like these from my karaoke machine. singing to them, alone in the living room. Jason was in the office trying to work (I forgot at the time that he had a presentation that Monday to the CIO of his company…)

you and I would get along Just Fine. you can come sing karaoke at my house. :D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 28, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

We are all over the place with music. I like everything except scat. I can’t stand made up bebopping jazzy stuff. Drives me crazy!

Christy — October 28, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

I’m so glad you posted this. I’m right there with you on the Kenny G and parents’ date night. My mom wore White Diamonds on date night, and I still keep a bottle of it tucked away for when I miss her, or for when I go out on a date with my husband and want to feel “fancy.” :)

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

FINALLY something we have in common. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 28, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

<3 all that music!! Classic. I don't listen to music in the kitchen – I won't lie to you. I like the quietness!

• Jessica — October 28th, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

I understand – sometimes I love the quiet too!

Cara Craves... — October 28, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

No shame!
    You gotta listen to what you love and what will inspire great cooking!
    I love to crank up Sam Cooke when I am cooking!

Chrissy — October 28, 2010 @ 6:08 pm

I get laughed at, but Neil Diamond is my all-time favorite.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — October 28, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

No worries! We pretty much have the same playlist!

Amy — October 28, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

I like so many different types of music – I’m 39, so 80’s music is usually my go-to. I love Pandora online radio, I’ll put in an artist like Bonnie Raitt or Van Morrison and it will play them plus songs similar, LOVE that. And 70’s easy listening/pop is my comfort zone, reminds me of my childhood. I have really embarassing stuff too, like Barry Manilow and Air Supply. *hangs head in shame*

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 28, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

I love almost all of those songs. The other ones I don’t know so I have no opinion on them.
    When I’m cooking or baking I always listen to Disney music. Mostly Little Mermaid and the Lion King. :)

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 28, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I really like listening to high energy music to while I cook. Bob Seger’s “Old Time Rock & Roll” is a common one, The Killers, Korn, Pat Benatar…and when I bake I like softer music, like Chicago, A Perfect Circle, Collective Soul, Josh Groban…

Stephanie — October 28, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

If I’m not watching the cooking channel in the kitchen i like to blast dance/techno music… is that weird haha!??! oh well, i like it!

Meaghen — October 28, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

Besides James Taylor, you and I definitely don’t have the same taste in music, but I love seeing what kind of music people love. I really, really love music and I find it fascinating how different kinds of music speak to different people. The fact that the music you love has such sentimental value to you is so awesome. I love it!

Kocinera — October 28, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

I love your cooking music! My favorites for the kitchen include pretty much anything by Stacey Kent–love her voice!

Adriana — October 28, 2010 @ 10:46 pm

I had to smile at your playlist…it looks just like mine! ; )

You actually gained 100 points in the coolness dept….not lost it.

Adriana

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — October 29, 2010 @ 4:33 am

I have recently discovered a love for Michael Buble!

Kim in MD — October 29, 2010 @ 4:46 am

How fun! You haven’t lost any coolness points in my book! I love James Taylor, and my husband and I saw him in concert with Carol King this summer. WOW- were they ever amazing! Carol King is something like 70 years old, and she was dancing like crazy all over the stage in these MEGA high heels! Her voice is just the same as it was when they recorded the songs, too! I love music, and will listen to almost any kind except rap (I can’t stand it). I play piano, so I like classical music, too! My current favorite song is “Just The Way You Are” by Bruno Mars. I think it should be Heather’s Faces of Beauty blog’s theme song! :-)

• Jessica — October 29th, 2010 @ 5:02 am

We saw the same show – it was amazing! I have seen him in concert multiple times but it was my first time seeing her. She was incredible, dancing around in those heels here in Pittsburgh too, moving like she was 25. I hope I am like that one day!

• Kim in MD — October 29th, 2010 @ 6:25 am

My husband and I see James Taylor everytime he is in our area. He is so amazing in concert, isn’t he? I hope I look and feel and act as young as Carol King at her age, too! I will be wearing flats, though (I am tall). You can rock the mega heels! :-)

Lauren — October 29, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I don’t actually have a kitchen playlist (although, after reading this post, I’m definitely considering it!) but I tend to listen to classic rock while cooking. Energetic, fun to sing along with, and it’s one genre of music that my husband and I can agree on :).

Liz — October 29, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I “Love” Steve Tyrell!!! You don’t hear to many people mention him. He is in my playlist also, along with a few others you mentioned.

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — October 29, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I am not very cool either, I pretty much listen to traditional Celtic music – fiddles, pipes and horns and melodic mournful ballads. I also enjoy Colbie Callait and Nora Jones, Medieval Babes, Loreena McKennit, that kind of woo woo stuff.

• Jessica — October 29th, 2010 @ 8:08 am

You are awesome.

Kristin @ Mugs & Pugs — October 29, 2010 @ 9:04 am

I find that I cannot cook without music now! I also love listening to music that I don’t workout to. Favorites include John Mayer, Miranda Lambert, Taylor Swift, Phoenix, The Temper Trap, and lots of country/indie music. :)

Lauren — October 29, 2010 @ 9:28 am

I like listening to country music and I somehow made my husband like it too. And I love Michael Buble, we danced to Everything for our first dance at our wedding.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention My Kitchen Playlist. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: On A Cold Snowy Day. | How Sweet It Is