Don’t mind my dirty cutting board below. I was chopping nuts. That has nothing to do with these sweet potatoes, but I felt that you needed to know.

Now, stop what you are doing right this second and go make these sweet potato skins. They will complete you, Jerry Maguire style.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

Not sure what to do with all those leftover mashed sweet potatoes? Well, that’s an easy one. Make some whipped sweet potatoes or some waffles or some glazed sweet potato muffins.

Or just mix them with some vanilla and cinnamon, then top with whipped cream. Makes a perfect afternoon snack if I do say so myself.
How delicious are potato skins? This was my first time making homemade ones, but my goal was to make a few as a healthier side dish for Mr. How Sweet. I was nervous about the skins of the sweet taters, but they turned out crispy and delicious. Especially since they were coated with a sprinkling of sea salt.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

Potato skins really remind me of Mother Lovett. Any time we went out to dinner, she usually ordered potato skins and ” wing dings.”  I think that is code for chicken wings, but one restaurant called them wing dings and she just never let it go. It didn’t matter where we went – out for seafood or to a steakhouse – she only ordered potato skins. Or wings. Oh – or chicken quesadillas. Watching an elegant 85-year old lady with dentures eat “wing dings” was pretty amusing though. And very messy.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

So, dare I say that these may be one of my most favorite snacks I’ve made to date? I know I can be dramatic and all, but these took the cake.
And just to take it over the top, add a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream on top. Then all will be right in the world.

Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com
Savory Sweet Potato Skins

makes 8 skins

4 small sweet potatoes

2 tablespoons olive oil

3-4 ounces low fat cheese, grated

2 slices of bacon, crumbled

1/4 cup chopped green onions

1/4 cup plain greek yogurt

sea salt

Preheat oven to 400.

Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise, set on a baking sheet, and bake cut side up for 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool enough to handle, scoop out sweet potato flesh, leaving just the slightest bit in the skin. Discard the flesh.

Flip skins over so skin side is up. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt, then bake for 10 minutes. Flip, brush insides with olive oil, and bake for 10 more minutes.

Remove skins and place a sprinkling of cheese in each, topping with bacon. Place back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove and top with green onions and greek yogurt (or sour cream, of course!)
Savory Sweet Potato Skins I howsweeteats.com

We all know that Mr. How Sweet is a man of few words, so when he exclaimed how delicious these were multiple times, I knew I’d hit the jackpot. That means you will love them too!

117 Responses to “Savory Sweet Potato Skins.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 19, 2010 @ 4:00 am

Oh wow – these look really good!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — October 19, 2010 @ 4:03 am

Oh yes please. Would these be totally inappropriate for breakfast? LOVE the idea of using sweet potatoes!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 19, 2010 @ 4:03 am

yummm. I love potato skins, but I actually like sweet potatoes better so I bet I’d be in lovee with these! hope you are enjoying not going to your job everyday!!

Marie-JourneyToBodyZen — October 19, 2010 @ 4:07 am

these look awesome. great idea!

Liz @ LBBakes — October 19, 2010 @ 4:12 am

I love the sweet potato variation on a classic!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — October 19, 2010 @ 4:30 am

Oh yum! They look delicious!

Katrina — October 19, 2010 @ 4:36 am

These look amazing. Potato skins are SO addicting!

Imwaytoobusy — October 19, 2010 @ 4:38 am

I may be craving potato skins all day now :) These look great!

eatgreek.net — October 19, 2010 @ 4:43 am

it looks delicious! :D

Heather — October 19, 2010 @ 4:44 am

so were the skins tender too? i feel like any time i’ve had sweet potato skins (on a baked on) the skin was fibrous and hard to eat. these look amazing!

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 4:53 am

Not really tender, they were crispy like regular potato skins!

Kristy — October 19, 2010 @ 4:54 am

Yes! Please! For lunch? No wait for Breakfast! TODAY! :-)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — October 19, 2010 @ 4:55 am

Now that’s my kinda potato skin.

Marisa @Loser for Life — October 19, 2010 @ 4:56 am

YUM! I love potato skins! Way to kick them up using sweet potatoes!

Erica — October 19, 2010 @ 5:07 am

What a great idea to use sweet potato for the skins. I have several in my refrigerator right now! YUM!

Emily — October 19, 2010 @ 5:08 am

Oh yum, I am going to the farmer’s market today, so will have to load up on some sweet potatoes. I did that last year-buy a HUGE basket of sweet potatoes that is- (it was a ‘bushel’), and the little man that owned the farmers market came up to me (think little old mountain looking man, complete with beard, etc.) and asked what a little person like me was going to do with all those potatoes! Haha, so I told him I’d make him a sweet potato pie out of him, and I did. Yum. He was so excited when I brought him one, loved it. :) It pays to be nice to your farmers market guys, they remember. :)
    Ah! So off-topic, oh well. It’s before/during my 1st cup of coffee anyway, so bear with me. Those skins look divine. I LOVE sweet potato skins.

Christie - Honoring Health — October 19, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I love potato skins and have never once thought to use sweet potato. Lovely, lovely idea!

Wei-Wei — October 19, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I think that we should have a sweet potato brunchfest sometime – we’ll have these sweet potato skins, some sweet potato waffles with cinnamon whipped cream, and then some whipped sweet potatoes (for dessert).

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — October 19, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Looks great! I’ve never actually eaten sweet potato skins.. and I have no idea why. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — October 19, 2010 @ 5:13 am

Oh yum! This looks delicious! Love the whole sweet & savory thing :)

Krystina (Organically Me) — October 19, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Yet another one of your recipes I want to veganize! Such a good idea.

Kim in MD — October 19, 2010 @ 5:27 am

YUM! I love potato skins, and have never tried sweet potato skins. Thanks to you I will (and soon)! :-)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — October 19, 2010 @ 5:50 am

what a great use of the skins! i never was into this kind of dish with regular potatoes, but sweet potatoes are a whole different story

Matt — October 19, 2010 @ 5:58 am

I’m glad to see the bacon in there ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 19, 2010 @ 6:01 am

I would like these for breakfast. Right now please.

Amalia — October 19, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Oh.My.God. Too much greatness in one dish. You’re a genius…really. I love you.
    Opps, sorry, I tend to get sensitive around great food.
    Anyway…THANKS this looks way over the top (in a good way!)

-Amalia

Pretend Chef — October 19, 2010 @ 6:10 am

These left my mouth agape and drool running down my chin. My stomach is growling and I want these to get in my belly now. With technology the way it’s going it will only be a matter of time before I’m licking my laptop screen to have a taste of all the yummies you create. Thank you Willy Wonka for that idea I’ve been dying for to really come into works. I am also grateful for Tasty Kitchen and me stumbling upon your blog. I’m in lubb!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — October 19, 2010 @ 6:20 am

Yum! I just tossed out several sweet potato skins last night:( Dang!

Tracy — October 19, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Love that you used sweet potato skins to make these! Yum!

Jessie — October 19, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I love this! I am always looking for ways to use sweet potatoes and squash in savory dishes but never have any good ideas. Yum!

rick — October 19, 2010 @ 6:28 am

“Discard the flesh.”

What? You gotta be kidding. Why on earth would you dicard the flesh?

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Not totally discard – if you read the entire post you will see I mentioned other recipes to use it for. I would never just throw it away.

Sara — October 19, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Brilliant! Those look so yummy. I bet they stay much more moist than traditional potato skins. Also, love your grandmother’s restaurant choices. That’s hilarious. It reminds me of how my grandmother LOVED to go to Sheetz and get a made-to-order oriental chicken salad. She was the best cook I ever knew, yet she wanted food from a gas station. She just thought it was too cool that you could use the touch screen to order the food yourself.

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:49 am

Hahah this is too cute. It just warmed my heart. I think that was kind of the same with my grandma. Even those items weren’t really anything special, they were things she didn’t eat growing up and didn’t get to eat often!

Evan Thomas — October 19, 2010 @ 6:41 am

I hate to say it, but I’ve NEVER had potato skins. Time to break that barrier?

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Um…. YES!

Camille — October 19, 2010 @ 6:44 am

I would have to make some vegetarian adjustments, but these still look awesome!

Abby — October 19, 2010 @ 6:53 am

ummmmm….YUM. I have some sweet potatoes lying around that will end up in this form.

Diane — October 19, 2010 @ 7:02 am

This is a must-try. I have a couple of sweet potatoes sitting at home ready for the making. Thanks for the idea.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — October 19, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Yes! These look so yummy. I have never tried potato skins, but I think now it’s time to try…especially since I have some sweet potatoes at home just waiting to be creatively cooked…

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 19, 2010 @ 7:13 am

These look delicious and I love that they are slightly healthier than the norm. Love the thought of ML eating “wing dings.”

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 19, 2010 @ 7:17 am

These look awesome! I love sweet potato skins, they’re possibly the best part!

Jane B — October 19, 2010 @ 7:19 am

You had me at “potato skins”. Sweet potato skins…awesome idea. Can’t wait to try this one.
    Oh, and I was under the impression “wing dings” was a type of font on Microsoft Word, not a foodstuff. Makes sense though!

• Jessica — October 19th, 2010 @ 7:28 am

Hahaha oh my gosh! I think it is, or is was? I remember that it used to be!

Sophie @ yumventures — October 19, 2010 @ 7:23 am

I love potato skins! This is a great healthful spin.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — October 19, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Oh yes! I am eating sweet potatoes tonight and you’ve inspired me!

Paige (running around normal) — October 19, 2010 @ 7:35 am

Yum!! I’ve never even thought about making sweet potatoe skins:)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 19, 2010 @ 7:40 am

I’m not a big potato skin fan — the bacon plus cheese plus potato is too much for me. I said it — its too much! But I like that yours aren’t overflowing with cheese and stuff on them. This is more my style :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — October 19, 2010 @ 7:42 am

You and I are sharing brainwaves. JUST yesterday, I thought to myself– “I should try to make twice-baked sweet potatoes.” These look awesome!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 19, 2010 @ 7:51 am

All I can say is YUM! Those look fabulous! I love that you used sweet potatoes – I definitely need to try these out with the family :)

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — October 19, 2010 @ 7:59 am

What a great idea to use sweet pot’s in place of white pot’s !

Lauren — October 19, 2010 @ 8:04 am

These look SO much better than restaurant potato skins. Recipe saved :).

Taylor — October 19, 2010 @ 8:09 am

Another great use for the sweet potato….it just might be the worlds most perfect food! These look so tasty…perfect for a Saturday afternoon of watching college football, in my opinion :)

Jenna — October 19, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Now this is a loaded potato skin I would love. I really don’t enjoy your average potato skin, but I adore sweet potatoes and sweet potato skins! I need to make these pronto!

Kita — October 19, 2010 @ 8:28 am

These look great. I was just telling someone I have never had sweet potatoes other then the candied ones people serve at Thanksgiving and I wanted to try them. This may be a great starting point – now how will I convince the BF that they are just ‘orange potatoes’ ;)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Loaded Sweet Potato Skins | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: My “Get Better” Day « Why Deprive?

3. Pingback: Sweet Potato Skins! « Just the Tip

4. Pingback: Food. Yep. More Oatmeal.

5. Pingback: The Top 10 Recipes of 2010 | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Sweet Potatoes with Blue Cheese & Bacon appetizer recipe: Potato Skins — Family Fresh Cooking

7. Pingback: Baked Potato Nachos | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Sweet Potato Skins – Sprinkle Joy.

9. Pingback: Sweet Potato Souffle | The Simplicity of Wellness

10. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato Skins. | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: The Heart of Life | The Heart of Life

12. Pingback: Tips for Surviving Game Day | On Health

13. Pingback: Tips for Surviving Game Day

14. Pingback: Football Food! [200 Recipes For Football Season.] | Support Paula Deen