I think I’ll let the batter do most of the talking.

I love vanilla. I love muffins. This is a recipe that brings the two together in perfect harmony.
I gave my muffins some “crunch” in two places. First, inside the muffin with pecans. Feel free to use the nut of your choice. Second, on top of the muffins with additional pecans, shredded coconut and course sugar. I adore course sugar.

It’s all about texture my friends.

I really enjoyed the muffins with the addition of the yogurt and applesauce. They were dense but moist. And super vanilla-y. They made me want to blast I’m Every Woman by Whitney Houston and dance around like a complete maniac.

But that’s just me.

Vanilla Crunch Muffins

inspired by Ina Garten

makes 12 muffins

2 cups whole wheat flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt

1/3 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

contents of one vanilla bean

1/2 cup chopped pecans + more for garnish

raw course sugar for garnish

coconut for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, applesauce, yogurt and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add vanilla beans and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Add milk. Stir until completely smooth. Fold in pecans. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar, coconut, pecans, or anything else to give it a “crunch.”

Bake for 20-25 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.

What is your idea of the perfect muffin? I think my next one must include bacon.

89 Responses to “Vanilla Crunch Muffins.”

Jessica@tastyandtrim — October 22, 2010 @ 10:58 am

mmm these sound tasty! They remind me of the vanilla almond luna bars that I’m obsessed with. My idea of the perfect muffin would be one that has some kind of filling in the middle like the pumpkin cream cheese muffins at Starbucks, and also has some kind of crunchy topping!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — October 22, 2010 @ 11:18 am

I love the taste of vanilla and these are so freakin cute!

Have a great weekend!

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — October 22, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Those look yummy! I heart vanilla, too!

My perfect muffin would be a Lemon Poppyseed. Oh man, I LOVE those mucho! :)

the country cook @ Delightful Country Cookin — October 22, 2010 @ 11:39 am

Perfect muffin – chocolate with chocolate chips and maybe chocolate chunks topped off with coarse sugar and a (rather thick) drizzle of chocolate frosting. Those might just send me singing Mariah Carey into my hairbrush.

Moni'sMeals — October 22, 2010 @ 11:43 am

You were not kidding, the photo of the batter sucked me right in along with the title! I have all the ingredients so I am set to make these. Love the coconut garnish….Yippee!

Rachel — October 22, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

they sound delish!! and I agree, LOOOOOVE coarse sugar on top of muffins. I would love to see you tackle a recipe for bacon muffins! we have a german/austrian restaurant in town that offers bacon cheesecake and chocolate-covered bacon… pretty sure you’d love it.

• Jessica — October 22nd, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Yep… sounds like my heaven.

janetha g. @ meals & moves — October 22, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

WOW.

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — October 22, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

I love Ina Garten! She has such great and unique recipes. Those muffins look amazing!

megan — October 22, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

These look like they could become my favorite muffin! Thumbs up!

homecookedem — October 22, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Those muffins look fabulous! The perfect muffin to me is moist and lots of good spices. None of that fake stuff like splenda in it!!!!!

Dana @ my little celebration — October 22, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Yum, those look delicious! I’m new to your blog…just found you on meals and moves.

Look forward to checking in every once in a while for tasty recipes,

Dana

Baking Serendipity — October 22, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

I love muffins that use yogurt…they are always so moist and delicious. The extra kick of crunch in yours sounds fantastic!

Andrea — October 22, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I want to make these RIGHT NOW.

Did you end up dancing around the house? I hope so. Let the food inspiration guide you!

Meaghen — October 22, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

You had me at Vanilla Crunch! YUM!

orsetta — October 23, 2010 @ 2:38 am

Your blog is a wonderful discovery! Nice to know you. Skip to us, we offer you a treat from Italy:)

We made italian dishes but we love to share it with other cultures!

Many greetings Italian

Melissa @ Made in Melissa's Kitchen — October 23, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I love Ina, but skipped over this recipe since I don’t like bananas! I LOVE your adaptation though!

marla {family fresh cooking} — October 23, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Your vanilla crunch muffins are lookin’ nice on Tastespotting today, tempting indeed :)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher — October 23, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

*sob*
    me so hongry!!

CaSaundra — October 24, 2010 @ 5:31 am

You can never go wrong with muffins..these sound/look amazingly good!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 11, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

I made these muffins last night, and they were so yummy! The crunchy topping is my favorite part. :) They were great for breakfast too! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Andrea — March 9, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Okay, I finally made these. They are the bomb.
    Actually, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, because I had to substitute PB and regular yogurt for the applesauce and greek yogurt.
    AND I didn’t have pecans, so I used oats and buckwheat.
    But, you know? They still taste a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Especially when filled with strawberry preserves and cream cheese.

Andrea — March 9, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

These. Are. The. Bomb.
    Even thought I didn’t quite follow the recipe (due to being low on certain ingredients)…they still turned out a m a z i n g.
    Thank youuuuuuuu!

Cassidy Stoker — June 22, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

These are delicious! I made them with a coconut, sugary crumble on top and it was to die for!:)
    Please check out my blog “Serendipity”!

Steph — December 15, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

Is it course sugar or coarse suger? Have been wrong ALL THIS TIME?!

• Steph — December 15th, 2012 @ 4:47 pm

aaahahahhaaa sugAr

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Vanilla Crunch Muffins. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: farm fresh food & a flashback. « meals & moves