Hold on to your bacon, folks. This is one of two recipes that I will be sharing this week that include brussels sprouts. I think I’ve been abducted by aliens.

I can handle a dish a like this because… let’s be honest – onions get sweet, apples get sweet, squash is basically like a potato, which I hardly can compare to a green veggie, and when things are sweet, I eat them. I devour them.

It’s super simple too. Roast the goods, throw a handful of cheese on top, a pinch of fresh, chopped parsley, and you’re good to go. I roasted my squash, apples and onions with pumpkin seed oil to give it an extra kick, but I think olive oil would work perfectly too.
Toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top would also be delicious. I had a big bowl on hand, but I… forgot them. I’m getting old. Don’t worry, I ate them all anyway.

Warm Autumn Salad

serves 4

1 small butternut squash, chopped

2 apples, chopped (I used gala)

1/2 red onion, chopped

1 cup chopped brussels sprouts

2 tablespoons olive oil (I used pumpkin seed oil)

1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

1/4 teaspoon cardamom

chopped parsley for garnish

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lay chopped squash, apples, brussels sprouts and onions on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and add cardamom, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Roast for 45-50 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes.

Remove vegetables and let cool for 5 minutes. You want them to be warm, but not piping hot. Add veggies to a bowl and combine with feta and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.

I think this would pair nicely with some crusty bread and butter on the side. I have leftovers, so I may serve it with pork chops later this week. And yes… Mr. How Sweet will be eating it.

90 Responses to “Warm Autumn Salad.”

Jenny — October 25, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

This looks so light and refreshing! yum!

Meaghen — October 25, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I’ve never had a warm salad before (expect my mom’s hot german potato salad) so I have a hard time warming up (hahaha) to the idea, but yours looks so good, I may just have to try one!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 25, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

This looks SOOO good!! I just did a mental tally of all the ingredients, and as long as I remember to steal the cardamom from my parents house, this could very well be tonights dinner. :)

Tangy @ A Taste of Tangy — October 25, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

OMG!

Another veggie hater!! HELLO MY NAME IS TANGY!! PRESIDENT OF THE CLUB! LOL

I have also recently discovered roasting veggies…and wow, I do like some of them! I love how veggies can be sweet and crunchy! I’m loving some sweet potato, potato, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, squash, and a couple cloves of minced garlic along with some olive oil…I happily eat those veggies 3 times a day :)

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

Girl… welcome to my world. Though it sounds like you enjoy a few more veggies than I do. We must be cut from the same cloth. :)

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — October 25, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

I just saw a recipe for something similar in a magazine not more than an hour ago! I thought to myself- why haven’t I made this yet? I mean, I love roasted vegetables, but adding cheese on top? Hello?! Looks awesome as usual.

Katrina — October 25, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Awesome recipe! This looks sooo good.

Shawn — October 25, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

I simply love your blog! I have been following for a while now, and it’s so entertaining, and I love your recipes. I nominated you for the “One Lovely Blog Award,” you can check out the details over at:

You’re awesome! Keep all the good stuff coming!

• Jessica — October 25th, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Thank you so much! I tried to comment on your blog but can’t since it doesn’t provide the Name/URL option. But thank you! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 25, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

Few things beat a giant pile of roasted veggies in my book! Especially if there is squash involved…

Ravenous Rowie — October 25, 2010 @ 10:28 pm

Looks so good! You are a vegetable eating inspiration!

Alyson @ YNL Blog — October 25, 2010 @ 11:14 pm

Love the looks/sound of this.. and I just so happen to have all the ingredients (a rare thing.. well minus the brussel sprouts.. never been my thing :p)

blackbookkitchendiaries — October 26, 2010 @ 7:45 am

this looks so pretty…. i cant wait to make some for my family. thank you for sharing.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — October 26, 2010 @ 10:53 am

The salad looks beautiful, colourful food makes me happy.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 26, 2010 @ 11:17 am

This looks so purty! I just might give brussels sprouts another chance after all!

Mary (A Merry Life) — October 26, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

So many veggies!! It looks great though. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 26, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

I have never made a warm salad, but it is definitely on my to-make list!

CaSaundra — October 28, 2010 @ 6:03 am

This sounds fabulous–I think I may add this to the list of my Thanksgiving side dishes I am making :-)

Lauren @ Team Giles — October 28, 2010 @ 8:58 am

this looks so, so, so, good!! I’m scared to try Brussels sprouts again though. I fear I’ll ruin them again

Amanda — November 7, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

I made this as a side dish tonight and really enjoyed it, I find brussel sprouts to be rather bitter sometimes, but they really took on a new flavor roasted with the squash and apples. I wish my kids had liked it as much as me, but that just means I get the left overs for lunch tomorrow :)

Hillary {Nutrition Nut on the Run} — October 29, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

Last night I roasted brussels, carrot, and red onion with maple syrup and olive oil – this is a step above! mmm

Michael Thomas — November 3, 2011 @ 5:49 am

Wow, looks wonderful and so “Fall”. My trip to the grocery store today will include brussel sprouts and b’nut squash.

Karen Chatters — November 3, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

Holy crap this was good. I was going to feed it as a side for dinner tonight but, it took less time to cook (30 minutes) and smelled so good I had to dig right in. The family will be having spaghetti and I’m stuffed! Next time, I’m going to add some pancetta and I still won’t share…

LMF — November 27, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! We made this for Thanksgiving and it was perfect. I used Gravenstein apples because that’s what’s in my backyard, and we may have added a bit of crumbled bacon on top (didn’t want to get too healthy on Thanksgiving). I think it would be really good with a bit of fennel too. Thank you!!!

Robynn — February 8, 2012 @ 8:11 am

I made this last night – with the addition of some pumpkin seeds and a little sage and majoram added to the cardamom. Excellent! I tried the recipe mixed some whole-wheat spaghetti noodles, and also on its own. Both delicious! A great way to eat more veggies. I would never have thought about adding an apple to the mix, however, and the flavor works out quite nicely.

Nikki — October 4, 2012 @ 10:43 am

This is gorgeous! Love your site and love this recipe. It is thanksgiving in Canada this upcoming weekend and I am just tweeking my menu. I am so serving this! It reminds me of a warm autumn salad that Sophie Dalh does but I enjoy the addition of the sprouts here. I might blend the two recipes and include sweet potato, beets, and celery root in this.

Thanks fo rthe delish inspiration!

aileen — November 17, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

I admit I had a rough time with the butternut at first (peeling, chopping) T…but I followed this exactly. It delicious! Today was my Thanksgiving test run, and it’s great to know I have a tried and true side! Thanks!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Warm Autumn Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad

3. Pingback: What are you eating? « Karen Chatters

4. Pingback: Back in Favor | all-purpose and semi-sweet

5. Pingback: Back in Favor | all-purpose and semi-sweet

6. Pingback: 15 Of My Favorite Recipes For Fall! « The Teenage Taste

7. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad | Four Season Gourmet

8. Pingback: Roasted Fall Vegetables | Military Spouse Dishes

9. Pingback: Thanksgiving Round-up 2013 | The Paleo Prize

10. Pingback: Best Friends Brunch | Buoy.