Some of you may think that Mr. How Sweet helps me in the kitchen.

Well, he does. He leaves.

I wish we were the couple that cooked together in the kitchen, but I would be lying if I said we were. I mean, if I was okay with eating pre-made burgers and eggs for every meal, then we would be.

And I know. I still haven’t provided you evidence that Mr. How Sweet wears shirts with sleeves.

Tonight, I decided to try out chicken piccata for our Sunday dinner. Not only have I never made it, I don’t even think I’ve ever tried it. Remember – I’m not Italian and I don’t really love Italian food. So I got to working. I decided on chicken piccata, whole wheat pasta and whole grain parmesan garlic bread. If you’re wondering where the vegetables are, you must not come ’round these parts much.

I had a sneaking suspicion that Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t love the sauce. His taste buds aren’t that mature. So instead of adding the sauce right on top of the chicken, I poured it into a small bowl and secretly heated him up some red sauce.

Let me tell you… I am wise beyond my years.

Mr. How Sweet walks in, takes one look at the sauce and says, “Oh, is this gravy?”

This is about the time when I started gulping sipping this:

No, you dope. It isn’t gravy. Why would I plate some beautiful chicken and lemon slices only to pour gravy on top of it? And really, when did you ever see gravy and lemon together?!

Don’t worry… that was just my stream of consciousness. I rarely speak my mind. Thank goodness. I follow whichever commandment that says “respect thy husband.” Sometimes.

So what does Mr. How Sweet do? He takes the spoon that is in the piccata sauce and slurps a spoonful into his mouth, then lays the spoon back down in the sauce. To my real life friends: don’t worry, I promise I watch him around the food when we have you over.

He declares the sauce “too lemony.” He doesn’t think it will go with “his spaghetti.” FYI, I made linguine.

So I wave my magic wand and the bowl of red sauce appears for my toddler husband. He proceeds to dump red sauce all over his chicken and linguine. He even dips his garlic bread in red sauce.

I made myself a nice plate of the meal that I actually prepared.

So I had chicken piccata for dinner. I don’t know what exactly Mr. How Sweet had, besides calling it chicken and linguine smothered in red sauce. This is how most meals go at our house, my friends. I wish I could tell you I was exaggerating. But unfortunately… this is just the tip of the iceberg.

72 Responses to “What Really Happens At Dinner.”

Kat — October 25, 2010 @ 6:08 am

haha sounds like my husband!!!

Diane — October 25, 2010 @ 6:28 am

This dinner looks absolutely delicious!

Thankfully, my husband pretty much eats whatever I give him. He only complains about cream sauces and yogurt-y type stuff.

Lollie — October 25, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Mr. How Sweet has no idea what he’s missing.
    Your meal looks delicious. Did you enjoy the chicken piccata? It looks beautiful.

Barb — October 25, 2010 @ 7:59 am

I am laughing out loud as I read many of your posts. You are truely a good soul, I live that life too. Hubs would eat happy meals and frozen boxes if that is what I had, me being a true foodie and trained chef from my earlier days. I won’t have it, but many times I feel I make my delicious meals for myself or little ones…This is the first year/season I have not taken it personal, thought in my head-your loss-or make some snid comment about how most hubs would appreciate it…anyhow-I love ready your posts, your humor is great, and your recipes great!
    Thanks for the laugh this morning. Have a SUPER fall season!

Ashley — October 25, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I can totally relate. I’ll spend hours in the kitchen slaving over the stove, only to serve the meal and have him douse whatever ever it is with BBQ sauce. Ugh…the nerve! :)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie — October 25, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I Love This Post! I usually help in the kitchen by getting out also, so I guess I would be the Mr. How Sweet in our household as far as Contributing (most days). With the taste buds of Ms. How Sweet. It’s a selfish combination, but that’s how I love it.

Michelle — October 25, 2010 @ 8:50 am

Your stories about Mr. HS always crack me up! And they remind me so much of my boyfriend. Whenever I try a new recipe that isn’t one of our usuals, I’m told it’s “interesting” or “different”, which means it’s a no go. Ah well, at least he’ll eat it. Once we’re married, that’ll probably change, haha.

Emily (The Culinary Couple) — October 25, 2010 @ 9:48 am

What’s with men and red sauces? Your chicken picatta looks awesome, by the way.

Kacy — October 25, 2010 @ 10:14 am

Haha, what a guy. I looove lemon sauces on pasta and I think I like chicken piccata. Looks great!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — October 25, 2010 @ 11:21 am

If my spouse cooked meals like that (with the piccatta of course) I would happily leave the kitchen :) We work together in the kitchen though.

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear — October 25, 2010 @ 12:08 pm

Oh yes, we definitely always have only one person in the kitchen :D and that dinner looks so good, I would have appreciated every bite of it. I think I need to move into your neighbourhood, haha.

Becca — October 25, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Your posts never fail to make me smile, but this one had me literally laughing out loud. Mr. How Sweet sounds exactly like most men I know! Give them red meat, potatoes, and something sweet for dessert and they’ll love you forever. Lucky him…. he’s got you to love!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — October 25, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

Looks so delicious!

Trish — October 26, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

I think you’ve got it pretty good! It seems that no one knows how to leave me the heck alone when I’m in the kitchen. I’m going to put electric collars on everyone in my house and set up the perimeter around the kitchen and just cook and giggle when they try to get in.

Beverly — October 26, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

Jess…. this is too funny. I love it.
    Miss you tons.
    Sounds like you’re enjoying yourself!

Rich — October 29, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Haha – I have many friends who I can see doing the exact same thing! And I see you’ve had plenty of affirmation about the piccata in the previous comments, but I’ll go ahead and chime in with another bit of praise for it – it does look absolutely fantastic!

Barbara Braun — October 29, 2010 @ 9:38 am

Jess:

You are an amazing…..hilarous…….writer, cook and wife….your blog makes my days happier.

I love reading about mother Lovett amd mother Merchant. I bet they are looking down and saying what an awesome granddaughter!!!!!

Chicken Piccata, my very favorite……… by the way NO ONE …..wears black more than me…..LOL…..barb

Sonya — November 21, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

This looks amazing!! I am so blessed to have a husband that helps. He mostly runs behind me and cleans up stuff before I am done using it but I guess I can’t complain because he is cleaning up my mess!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention What Really Happens At Dinner. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad. | How Sweet It Is