Some of you may think that Mr. How Sweet helps me in the kitchen.

Well, he does. He leaves.

I wish we were the couple that cooked together in the kitchen, but I would be lying if I said we were. I mean, if I was okay with eating pre-made burgers and eggs for every meal, then we would be.

And I know. I still haven’t provided you evidence that Mr. How Sweet wears shirts with sleeves.

Tonight, I decided to try out chicken piccata for our Sunday dinner. Not only have I never made it, I don’t even think I’ve ever tried it. Remember – I’m not Italian and I don’t really love Italian food. So I got to working. I decided on chicken piccata, whole wheat pasta and whole grain parmesan garlic bread. If you’re wondering where the vegetables are, you must not come ’round these parts much.

I had a sneaking suspicion that Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t love the sauce. His taste buds aren’t that mature. So instead of adding the sauce right on top of the chicken, I poured it into a small bowl and secretly heated him up some red sauce.

Let me tell you… I am wise beyond my years.

Mr. How Sweet walks in, takes one look at the sauce and says, “Oh, is this gravy?”

This is about the time when I started gulping sipping this:

No, you dope. It isn’t gravy. Why would I plate some beautiful chicken and lemon slices only to pour gravy on top of it? And really, when did you ever see gravy and lemon together?!

Don’t worry… that was just my stream of consciousness. I rarely speak my mind. Thank goodness. I follow whichever commandment that says “respect thy husband.” Sometimes.

So what does Mr. How Sweet do? He takes the spoon that is in the piccata sauce and slurps a spoonful into his mouth, then lays the spoon back down in the sauce. To my real life friends: don’t worry, I promise I watch him around the food when we have you over.

He declares the sauce “too lemony.” He doesn’t think it will go with “his spaghetti.” FYI, I made linguine.

So I wave my magic wand and the bowl of red sauce appears for my toddler husband. He proceeds to dump red sauce all over his chicken and linguine. He even dips his garlic bread in red sauce.

I made myself a nice plate of the meal that I actually prepared.

So I had chicken piccata for dinner. I don’t know what exactly Mr. How Sweet had, besides calling it chicken and linguine smothered in red sauce. This is how most meals go at our house, my friends. I wish I could tell you I was exaggerating. But unfortunately… this is just the tip of the iceberg.

72 Responses to “What Really Happens At Dinner.”

Debbie B. — October 24, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

Looks great! Sometimes it is so much easier to only have one person in the kitchen!

VeggieGirl — October 24, 2010 @ 4:43 pm

You’re a trooper! :-D

Heather — October 24, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

Hilarious! I can totally relate to this entire story. Your chicken piccata looks perfectly breaded and delicious!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — October 24, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

haha husbands are very funny sometimes…. the dinner you made is beautifully prepared! I would have enjoyed it with you! :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — October 24, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Looks awesome! Mr. HS is funny! ;)

Evan Thomas — October 24, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

You two make such a cute couple :-) And that’s why we men need people in our lives

Lizzy — October 24, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Looks identical to how “we” cook dinner. My husband is either playing basketball or playing video games. Oh well, I’m not sure I would want his help anyway! That dinner looks delicious!

Sarah — October 24, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Looks amazing! Recipe?

chelsie — October 24, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

did we marry the same man? sleeveless shirts and all, this is my husband exactly.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — October 24, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

I absolutely love reading about the antics between you and Mr. Sweet. Makes me smile every time. Oh and that dish looks FANTASTIC!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — October 24, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

OMG, that looked amazing. Leave it to a guy to want to put red sauce all over everything! ;) My husband knows to stay out of the kitchen when I’m in the kitchen because I’m usually in there swearing or exploding something…not sure how I ended up with my food blog, LMAO!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — October 24, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

LOL – my husband helps by leaving too. It’s OK :) Actually, he helps by doing the dishes, but that’s not really dinner.
    Love the sauce story!

Kath — October 24, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

You are so funny! Your chicken piccata looks fabulous! I’ve never made it before; I’ll have to try it.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — October 24, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

Love your honesty, and your attitude. Sometimes I get frustrated that my husband isn’t as “into” food, or experimenting and trying new foods and cooking new things, even though he is a good cook and we often cook together. Thanks for reminding me to laugh about things that I could otherwise get upset about!

Sarah — October 24, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Haha that sounds exactly like my boyfriend! The piccata looks delicious!

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — October 24, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

That’s so funny! I’m so glad my fiance has similar tastes to mine. It’s a slightly sore point that he doesn’t like asparagus since I love it, but at least I know if I make chicken piccata he’ll know what it is and enjoy it for that.

Speaking of which…that looks FREAKING AMAZING and I must try it soon. Like, it’s going on next week’s menu and I haven’t even started next week’s menu yet. <3

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — October 24, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

Oh my gosh.

We honestly need to be best friends because Mr. Sweet and the Husband sound like they were twins separated at birth. That is exactly what the Husband would do. I am dying over here.

Wei-Wei — October 24, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

This is hilarious – but doesn’t it bother you?!

Abby — October 24, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Hahahahahah!! those sleeveless shirts are killing me.

Marci — October 24, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Not only do I swoon after your baked goods and make some of them, but our husbands have the same taste buds! We eat different spins on the same meal, or different meals all together. And I made your crispy chicken tenders tonight and he loved them! I did too.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — October 24, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

This looks delicious! My boys would love it!

Julia — October 24, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

This pretty much happened at our dinner table tonight too! I made a steak salad with a super yummy homemade ginger dressing. Both husband and son proceed to the fridge to get their caesar salad dressing and blue cheese dressing. Why do I even bother?? At least I enjoyed the dressing!!

Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) — October 24, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

That is exactly how it is with my boyfriend. The further away he is from the kitchen-the better!

Stephanie — October 24, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Haha I love this, you two are so funny :P I’ve never made chicken piccata either but yours looks darn good!

Jessie K — October 24, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

Yeah, my hubby probably would be the same way. If it doesn’t have the words “taco,” “enchilada,” or “red sauce” in it, he doesn’t recognize it as edible food.

Midwest Mommy — October 24, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

Wow that looks yummy!

Ashley — October 24, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

This meal looks incredible. Really loved this story about Mr.HS too! :) Your plated chicken w/the lemon slices is a fabulous photo…all of them are!! I don’t know how you get the chicken breaded so well. Seriously…when I used to cook chicken, half of it would always slide off when I flipped it in the pan. Even if I baked it, it was never that perfect looking. Way to be awesome!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — October 24, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

I love this story and I love chicken piccata. Your “real” dinner that you slaved over looks fabulous! :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — October 24, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

Men and their taste buds eh? My boyfriend still defends his noodles and ketchup.

I think your chicken looks delicious. And I love that plate!

Rebecca — October 24, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

I can relate; I once made my brother beautiful lamb chops with pistachio tapenade, only for him to declare that it would go better with ketchup (which he proceeded to slather all over) and that he needed more meet (which meant he microwaved two frozen burgers as the side dish for his lamb). The chicken piccata looks delicious though; I love how it’s arranged with the lemons on the platter.

Dana — October 24, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

LOL I can relate to this. My bf does and says similar things, except instead of calling it gravy he would’ve called it goop or something equally unappetizing.

Christina — October 24, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

Too funny. :D

janetha — October 24, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Haha, this is a great post. You’re so witty. The piccata looks great. Luckily, my husband looooves piccata and requests it almost weekly. Have a great Monday, woman. xo

Meaghen — October 24, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

My boyfriend is very much the same way. He will eat some veggies, but he is pretty simple in his tastes. That chicken looks lovely though! I’ve never had chicken piccata either I don’t think. I am definitely intrigued by it now!

Tracy — October 24, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

LOL, I completely understand…mine and hubby’s tastes are totally different too!

the blissful baker — October 24, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

my taste buds totally differ from my boyfriend’s too! i’m trying to convert him :) that chicken piccata look great!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — October 24, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

Hahahaha. Oh man. Your writing voice is so awesome. Seriously. Your personality and sense of humor shines through it so incredibly clearly…it’s fantastic. I literally laugh at loud when I read your posts. Thanks for always making me smile and inspiring me with your awesome recipes!

Casper — October 24, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

Luckily my husband will eat just about anything so I don’t have that problem. Even if he doesn’t care for something he will still eat it!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe — October 24, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Aw, your meal is beautiful! I would have eaten it with you;)

Kocinera — October 24, 2010 @ 8:49 pm

Well, I think your chicken piccata looks fantastic! Even if Mr. How Sweet’s tastebuds aren’t as keen on the lemony goodness, this sounds like a wonderful dinner.

Meg — October 24, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

This had me cracking up as I was reading- my husband is just like this! Just a nothing-fancy-meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. I’ve never made chicken piccata before, but your presentation looked so beautiful, I’ll have to try it out. Thanks for the recipe!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 24, 2010 @ 10:21 pm

That is a beautiful meal!

trang — October 24, 2010 @ 10:34 pm

just in case you weren’t aware…

Happy Monday! :-)

MelissaNibbles — October 25, 2010 @ 1:25 am

I don’t like Christian in the kitchen when I cook. I get nervous. This dinner looks great Jess!

Chrissy — October 25, 2010 @ 3:24 am

Hahahaha love it. That looks incredible, by the way. I want to make it. I’m lucky in the sense my boyfriend will eat pretty much anything I put in front of him without saying much. This is both good and bad. Good for obvious reasons, but I get annoyed when I try to get an idea of how much he likes something and all he can say is, “It’s good.”

Lauren — October 25, 2010 @ 4:22 am

Gorgeous plate of chicken piccata!

I can completely empathize with you on the husband-taste-bud-issue. My hubs like to douse pretty much any and everything in hot sauce. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve set a plate of perfectly seasoned food down in front of him and he hops right up over to the fridge to whip out the Tabasco. Ugh. What we put up with, right ?! ;)

Amanda — October 25, 2010 @ 4:31 am

That sauce and chicken look delightful. :)

Natalia Baage — October 25, 2010 @ 4:59 am

That looks delicious – great work (and great photos!). Now I have a good idea for tonight’s dinner. ;)

Kim in MD — October 25, 2010 @ 5:38 am

You and Mr. How Sweet are so sweet, Jessica! My husband doesn’t cook with me, either…I actually prefer him not to because he distracts me too much!

When my children were toddlers, I used to make them different sauces, too. Once they got a little older, I stopped doing that. They either ate what I made for dinner or didn’t. They actually became much more adventurous about food! My son used to be so picky, but now he will try anything, and usually loves everything! Maybe Mr. How Sweet’s taste buds will mature, too! ;-)

Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — October 25, 2010 @ 5:57 am

LOL. You’re funny. =)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention What Really Happens At Dinner. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Warm Autumn Salad. | How Sweet It Is