I usually try to diversify my recipes a bit throughout the week, but clearly this week was having none of that. I was just too excited to share this recipe with you!

Let me tell you this: it is versatile. I have made these twice now with butternut squash and pumpkin, with the recipe being the same, and they have both worked out great. I also think that mashed sweet potatoes would work, but I am still in the experimenting stage.

I topped the waffles with some greek yogurt that I whipped a bit with honey and cinnamon. To be honest, I am not a huge fan of maple, including maple syrup. The only real maple product I’ve fallen in love with is maple butter, to which I have been known to devour a few tablespoons in one sitting. So decadent.

I’m sure that syrup would be fabulous on these, but I prefer eating them with a thicker, creamier topping. It’s not like it really matters anyway. They are only on my plate for a total of five seconds.

Whole Wheat Butternut Waffles

serves 3-4

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons sugar

1/2 cup butternut squash puree

1 egg

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat waffle iron. Combine dry ingredients, then stir in squash, egg, milk and vanilla. Scoop about 1/3 cup batter onto waffle iron and cook until heated through.

Top with cinnamon cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.

Cinnamon Cream

1/2 cup greek yogurt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon honey

sprinkle of nutmeg

Mix ingredients together until smooth. Add to waffles.

I’m an autumn addict.

71 Responses to “Whole Wheat Butternut Waffles with Cinnamon Cream.”

Moni'sMeals — October 15, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

just awesome~ B, L, or D! What agreat idea. :)

the blissful baker — October 15, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

OMNOMNOM i want these for breakfast tomorrow morning!

Bo — October 15, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

I just made pumpkin waffles, but have never thought about using butternut. Great idea!

Cara — October 16, 2010 @ 2:16 am

Cinnamon cream, yes please!

CaSaundra — October 16, 2010 @ 5:48 am

If I started my day with these delish-looking waffles, I don’t
    think I could have a bad day! :-)

Hollie @lolzthatswim(andrun) — October 16, 2010 @ 6:26 am

Holy Moly those look good! I have never had squash waffles but had made a similar recipe with sweet potatoes which works out very well.

I also top all my waffles and pancakes with greek yogurt yumm!

homecookedem — October 16, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Please, please come be my personal chef! When I win the lottery I’ll either pay for you and Mr. How Sweet to come down here or I’ll just move up there! Either way, you are my first pick to be my personal chef/baker!! ;)

Ellen@FirednFabulous — October 16, 2010 @ 9:39 am

Your waffles look so fluffy and the cinnamon cream sounds delish! Mmmm

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life — October 16, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Looks so good! I love cinnamon in pancakes and waffles!

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread — October 16, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

YUM! These rock, love the cinnamon cream!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — October 16, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

nate said he’s super jealous :)

Wei-Wei — October 16, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

Maple butter sounds absolutely amazing.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — October 16, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

I need a waffle iron. like, yesterday.

sophia — October 16, 2010 @ 11:06 pm

Can you believe i’ve only ever had frozen waffles? I think this calls for an emergency hop to csn.com to order myself a waffle maker. You. Corrupt. Me with your irresistible pictures and recipes!!

newlywed — October 17, 2010 @ 6:15 am

This looks great. I’m an autumn addict too. The cinnamon cream here is right up my alley!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 18, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Those waffles look great. Love the idea to whip the greek yogurt with honey and cinnamon… I’m sure that would be delicious on LOTS of things!

Jana Biskup — October 22, 2013 @ 7:40 pm

My family loves these waffles! I’ve haven’t tried the topping yet. The mix is very thick so I added some water to thin it out and it worked very well. My son doesn’t like a lot of vegetables so I love how it has Butternut Squsash puree in it. You can’t even taste it and he has no idea what is in them and he loves them!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Whole Wheat Butternut Waffles with Cinnamon Cream. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Loaded Sweet Potato Skins | How Sweet It Is