In search of the perfect non-pumpkin dessert?

You are in luck. I have just the ticket.

This is one of the most scrumptious recipes I have posted to date. I know I say that all the time, but this I mean it.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

How do you know a recipe is good? When the batter alone makes you feel like you’ve died and gone to heaven. I squealed like a little kid when I realized I had this whole bowl to lick by myself.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

These brownies are to die for. They are a cross between gooey fudge and dense, dark chocolate. I think this is by far the best brownie recipe I have ever tried.

And the topping? Well… let’s just say it gives pecan pie a run for it’s money.
The original recipe called for corn syrup, but I was out of luck. I did, however, have some brown rice syrup, and it worked perfectly.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

And what worked even more perfectly was a straight shot of whiskey right into the sugar + butter + syrup mixture. Sweet, sweet bourbon.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

There was no shortage of this behind our bar.
I chopped a big pile of pecans by hand because I wanted a more rustic pecan topping. Instead of uniform pecan chunks, some came out smaller and some out larger. Chunky and crunchy.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

I was half tempted to not even top the brownies, because they were that good. But after a few hundred spoonfuls of the pecan topping, I knew it could only get better.

And it did.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Waiting for these to bake was the longest 35 minutes of my life.

Scratch that… waiting for them to cool was the longest 35 minutes of my life.
And you should learn something from that. They definitely need longer than 35 minutes to cool. But I couldn’t wait any more.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Does that not look like pure perfection? It makes me want to dive in head first. Clearly, I did.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

I was afraid that these may be a bit too rich even for me, but I think the key is cutting them into small squares so they only last a few bites. After one, you will crave another. And after two, you will probably be satisfied. But they are so delicious that you will eat a third anyway. And maybe even a seventh.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Especially when they look so pretty basking in the morning sunlight. Bourbon pecan pie brownies are an excellent breakfast choice, let me tell you. Black Friday breakfast anyone?

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

And they only get better with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. Don’t fear adding more sugar on top. It helps cut the sweetness, the richness, and the chewiness. It’s like when the Cheesecake Factory tops their 1275-calorie slice of cheesecake with two cups of whipped cream. It breaks up the rich desserts… and helps you eat more.
And would you believe that I don’t love any sort of nuts in my dessert? And I also don’t love pecan pie. But really, you just can’t go wrong with the chocolate, the salted pecans, the bourbon… it transforms this dessert. Don’t let the ingredient list intimidate you – it is really quite simple! And completely worth it, even if you only end up licking the bowl.

Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies

slightly adapted from NBC SNF Cookbook

makes about 16 brownies

for brownies:

1/2 cup flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup cocoa powder

1 1/4 cups sugar

10 tablespoons butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325.

In a small bowl, beat eggs and vanilla and set aside. In a double boiler, add butter, cocoa, sugar and salt. Mix until the mixture becomes a batter – this will take approximately 10 minutes and at first will just look like clumps of cocoa power. Be patient! Remove the bowl from heat and whisk in the egg mixture and combined. Stir in flour until batter is smooth, then pour in a baking dish (I used  6 X 10 dish). Bake for 20 minutes, then let cool completely.
pecan filling:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 cup brown rice syrup

2 eggs

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 tablespoons whiskey

2 cups chopped pecans

Using an electric mixer, cream rice syrup and sugar until smooth. Add in eggs and vanilla and beat until combined, then add butter and whiskey. Once mixture is thoroughly combined, fold in chopped pecans, then pour over brownies. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until pecan filling is set.

Let cool completely, then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Top with freshly whipped cream.
Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies I howsweeteats.com

If you didn’t get my point, you must make these today. Please. If you know what’s good for you, you will get in the kitchen now.

142 Responses to “Bourbon Pecan Pie Brownies.”

Meghan@travelwinedine — November 22, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Oh my goodness! I feel like I can almost taste these. What an amazing combo of flavors!

Ellen @FirednFabulous — November 22, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

Now this just looks ridiculous. Ridiculously GOOD that is. What a perfect dessert for a KY gal ;) Bourbon…MmMm..

Blond Duck — November 22, 2010 @ 6:37 pm

For once, I’m glad I’m allergic to chocolate. I know I couldn’t control myself around these.

natalie (the sweets life) — November 22, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

I’m on sweets overload lately but I think I may have to find time to make these as well!

Laura — November 22, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

Holy. Delicious. Just saying that if you ever need a taste-tester, I’m your girl! ;)

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets — November 22, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

Daaaang this looks good. I love the combination of the alkie, pecan pie, and chocolate. How good is this?!

Yum Yucky — November 22, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

The photography has been sensationalized to trigger my stomach to wanna chew. It’s a set up.

Megan (Braise The Roof) — November 22, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

Black Friday breakfast, here I come. It’ll help ease the food hangover- hair of the dog, right?

Jenny — November 22, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

This looks TO DIE FOR.

Salah@myhealthiestlife — November 22, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

genius.

Moni'sMeals — November 22, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

SPOT ON!

YUM!!!

Mackenzie@ The Caramel Cookie — November 22, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

The brownie part looks sooo rich and fudgey!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — November 22, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

Jess – this seriously looks like straight up fudge. Deliciousssss!

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2010 @ 10:13 pm

It’s really straight up crack.

Maria — November 22, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

TO DIE FOR!

val — November 22, 2010 @ 10:24 pm

You had me at Bourbon. Incredible.

Ashley — November 22, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Pretty sure I’m speechless after this one!

Dana @ my little celebration — November 22, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

Wow, those look DECADENT. Just the sort of dessert I’d like to try ; )

I think it’s awesome that you suggested having them for breakfast on Black Friday. Or for breakfast at all, for that matter. This makes me think you’re my kind of blogger and friend. I’ve got a sweet tooth at all hours of the day!

Lovely post. Beautiful pictures,
    Dana

Tracey — November 23, 2010 @ 1:05 am

Okay, i just took these (doubled) out of the oven, to go along with the pumpkin pies!! And the house smells yummy and my kitchen and mixer probably look like yours, oh well, who cares!!!

• Jessica — November 23rd, 2010 @ 1:09 am

I hope they are delicious!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 23, 2010 @ 1:19 am

i literally do not have words. I cannot wait to see your thanksgiving day spread!

Lauren — November 23, 2010 @ 1:22 am

I don’t like pecan pie either…well-that’s only half true. I eat all the sugary goodness AROUND the pecans. I can’t wait to make these brownies with all their sugary goodness!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 23, 2010 @ 1:38 am

The richness of that brownie. It looks beyond rich. Like thick, decadent fudge in brownie form. Luscious looking! I want them!

Lew (ashandlewplus2.com) — November 23, 2010 @ 1:48 am

How many can you eat and still be able to drive?
    Lew

Nicole, RD — November 23, 2010 @ 2:05 am

Jess, these look AMAZING!! I saw BACON BRITTLE on a blog today and I thought of you! It actually looked reeeeally good!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — November 23, 2010 @ 2:25 am

The rosette of whipped cream is just like icing on the cake. So pretty and taste good too! Can’t wait to let my family try these!

Emily [emily eats clean] — November 23, 2010 @ 2:31 am

Do you need a shopping buddy on Black Friday?!?! If you’re packing these, I’m your shopping partner for the day! :D

Barbara Bakes — November 23, 2010 @ 2:58 am

Looks like a bowl I would love to lick too. Great combination!

Cute Little Bear — November 23, 2010 @ 2:59 am

Dear Mrs. How Sweet,

Those brownies might even taste better than chocolate chip cookies! That’s pretty darned tasty right there. I can’t wait to try them out. Thank you for another snazzy recipe.

Love,

Cute Little Bear

Lora @cakeduchess — November 23, 2010 @ 3:30 am

My heart skipped a beat when I saw you tweet this earlier today. Tess look amazing!! I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving week full of love and good food.:)

Caroline — November 23, 2010 @ 3:59 am

Making this on Thursday. It’s official. I’ll post back with how it turns out.

Thank you for sharing!!

• Caroline — November 24th, 2010 @ 2:58 am

Didn’t even make it til Thursday! We thought we’d better get a start on all the baking…that’s reasonable, right?

A few things:
      1. Did you really wait until the brownies were completely cool before pouring the pecan topping over them?
      2. I assume you baked the brownie+pecans at the same temp, 325?
      3. I think you omitted when to add the cinnamon in the pecan topping, so I added it in before the pecans. I’m having trouble not drinking this concoction.

Loving this recipe so far!

• Jessica — November 24th, 2010 @ 3:03 am

Oops, so sorry about the cinnamon! Yes – you added it in at the right time. And yes, same temp – 325. And finally, I waited until they were about 50% cooled. I have no patience. They still came out fine!

• Caroline — November 24th, 2010 @ 3:13 am

Perfect. Me neither on the patience–they’re back in! Looking and smelling delicious. Thanks for the quick response!

foodies at home — November 23, 2010 @ 5:21 am

I just licked my computer screen…please don’t judge…I blame you anyways! hehe

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 23, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

I totally want to come to your house for Thanksgiving. Totally.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 23, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

You always come up with the best brownies… Those look incredible!

brandi — November 23, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

okay. I need these, asap.

What in the world do you guys do with all these baked goods in the house? I try to make smaller batches when I make recipes, I take some to work, and freeze what I can, but there’s only so much the two of us can eat!

Alicia — November 23, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

Jessica, these are unbelievable! I’ve literally made all of your recipes in the last 4 days :) I’m a new blogger, haven’t started posting yet but I’ve really enjoyed your blog so thank you, I’m sure my vball team that I coach will love these… I’m making them the chicken bake tonight for dinner… can’t wait to try the mashed potato cake recipe, yum!

Anne Marie — November 23, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Holy crap woman, these look ridiculous!!

thedabble — November 23, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

I need to make these oh, about now. Love the bourbon in a brownie!

Caroline — November 24, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Voila! Oh my god Jessica are these divine or what. May or may not have had some for breakfast. I had a little trouble getting them out of the pan, though–any thoughts? You can check em out here if you’re interested:

niki — November 25, 2010 @ 3:38 am

Jessica, I think I want to buy that cookbook – do you like it? Or use it on a regular basis?

• Jessica — November 25th, 2010 @ 4:28 am

I do… I can’t say I use it on a regular basis because I have a ton of cookbooks that I use. But it does have some great recipes and my husband really loves it. I had him pick out the recipes he wanted from there and he chose over 20! I’d say get it.

Praetgeist — December 17, 2010 @ 1:15 am

These look magical! Is the filling meant to be baked at the same temperature as the brownies?

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:35 am

Yep, the whole things goes back in the over at the same temperature.

littlest roo — January 27, 2011 @ 7:59 am

this is the first recipe i’ve tried from your blog. i made it for my friend’s birthday. i think he’s in love with me.

[what shall i do with all my suitors once i start making EVERYTHING you post??]

harvey justine — June 8, 2011 @ 2:16 am

SWEETS! SWEETS! SWEETS! I LOVE SWEETS!!! and I love this pecan pie recipe becoming a brownie.. I’m going to make some and i am thinking of ten ways to make it more delicious. thanks :)

Anne — June 14, 2011 @ 8:34 am

Jessica!! Quick question. I’m planning on making these for my padre for Father’s day since he has a mild obsession with brownies and pecan pie..(so this recipe is perrrrfect.) Anywho, will light corn syrup work too? Instead of the brown rice syrup? Or could you taste a difference?

Anne — June 14, 2011 @ 8:38 am

juuuust kidding. I re-read your post and saw that the original recipe called for corn syrup..so I am A-OKAY. =)

Erica — August 22, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Would the baking times and measurements of ingredients change if I was to use a 9×13 inch pan instead?

Eva — December 15, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I have them cooking in the oven right now. I can’t wait to try them. I’m pretending that they are a trial run before I make them next week for Christmas. I know they are going to be fabulous.

Alex — April 26, 2012 @ 6:58 am

These were sooooooo goooooooood!!!!! Seriously, these are like THE best brownies i have ever had. Even without the topping, but with it – they are just out of this world!!! Thanks so much for a great recipe :-)

Addy — May 11, 2012 @ 9:50 am

Great, but even better the next day. They get extra gooey and delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Adrien — November 5, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Made these the past weekend and the taste is out of this world. But mine did come out very gooey esp the pecan topping. I followed the baking times and cooling times. Any longer the pecan topping would have burnt… Any suggestions?

Robby — November 19, 2012 @ 10:44 am

Late to the party, but looking forward to making these for Thanksgiving. Can you please clarify… natural cocoa or dutch processed? Thanks,

Dani — June 22, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

Hi,
    I’d like to try this recipe but have a question about the coco powder. Is it ok to use the dutch processed cocoa or should it be regular? I found it often makes a difference.