Chicken. It’s what’s for dinner in our house countless nights a week. I think you can agree that it can be cumbersome coming up with yet another creative chicken dinner idea, week after week.

Crunchy Honey Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Unless of course, you’re married to Mr. How Sweet, in which case you can eat the same chicken dinner night after night. Well, he can. I, on the other hand, would cry tears of bacon grease if that happened.
If you are anything like me, you’ve probably spent hours upon hours looking for any new chicken dish; just something that you can do differently, even using one random spice to save you from the plight of boring baked, dry, bland chicken. And maybe you even eat a few trillion cookies to quench that never-ending thirst for a fresh chicken recipe.

Or that just might be me.

Crunchy Honey Chicken I howsweeteats.com

See those veggies up there? Yeah. They went into this chicken dish too. They were delicious.

Actually, I’m lying – I picked them all out. But would you expect any less from me? If you’re really that concerned, Mr. How Sweet liked the them. He can vouch for the vegetables.
Speaking of veggies, last night my mom looked at me and said, “since when do you like brussels sprouts?” The look on her face was priceless. Complete and utter shock coming from the woman who only really loves corn covered in butter and green beans covered in butter and candied almonds. Then I told her that I pan-roasted them with bacon grease. Duh.

No words were spoken. She completely understood. That’s the beauty of a mother + daughter + bacon relationship.

Crunchy Honey Chicken I howsweeteats.com

But enough about bacon. More about chicken!

This dish was delish. Such a nice change from boring, old chicken. Even Mr. How Sweet loved the switcheroo. However, that was after he asked what was in the sauce, cringed and claimed that he “hates honey” when I told him the ingredients, then went on his merry way and ate 4 servings.

I think that means it’s good.

Crunchy Honey Chicken I howsweeteats.com

Crunchy Honey Chicken

serves 2+

1 pound thinly sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts

2 egg whites

1/3 cup cornstarch (or flour – for dredging)

1 cup broccoli florets

1/2 red pepper, thinly sliced

a handful of sugar snap peas (about 3/4 cup)

1 clove garlic, minced

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 cup honey

salt and pepper to taste

Prepare and slice all veggies – feel free to add whatever you would like. In 2 separate bowls, add the egg whites (lightly beaten) and the cornstarch or flour. (The cornstarch will yield a “crispier” chicken). Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add veggies with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute for about 5 minutes, until softened. Add in soy sauce and garlic and stir so veggies are coated, about 60 seconds. Remove from skillet and set aside in a bowl.

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat the same skillet (or you can use a different one, I just use the same to make it easier) over medium-high heat and add remaining olive oil. Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then lightly dredge in cornstarch. Add to the skillet and let brown for 2-3 minutes, then flip. Continue with remaining chicken pieces, and do so in batches if needed.

Once chicken is cooked, add veggies back in the skillet. Add honey and thoroughly mix to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper, additional honey or soy sauce. Serve with rice.

Crunchy Honey Chicken I howsweeteats.com

For the record, Mr. How Sweet took this in his lunch today. Gotta give that man some spice during the workday.

123 Responses to “Crunchy Honey Chicken.”

Jamie @ Food in Real Life — November 9, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

MMMMMMMMMMmmmm..looks so good. What kind of chicken do you use? These days I’ve been buying organic free range from Trader Joe’s. I bought regular purdue the other day and I didn’t like it!

foodies at home — November 9, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

I don’t judge you…I cook my brussels in bacon fat too! Fantastic!! ;)

Alyssa — November 9, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

Looks delish! Now if only it could be made in my kitchen-less dorm room…I suppose it will just have to go on the “To-Cook” list for next time I’m home :)

brass casting — November 10, 2010 @ 12:37 am

when i was growing up my mom used to make honey + chicken all the time…this reminds me of my childhood! and happy bday to your dad

sophia — November 10, 2010 @ 1:47 am

Can I hire you as my lunchbox lady? Or maybe I can just pick at your leftovers. I can imagine how happy Mr. Sweet must be all day, and how jealous his coworkers are!
    My housemate just bought honey. I’m planning to buy chicken tomorrow. This is perfecto. God’s sign. Mm-hm.

Shawn — November 10, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Looks delish! I will have to add this one to the menu! Thanks!

Katie — November 10, 2010 @ 7:34 am

I love stir-frys. Love, love, love. And when they have sweetness to them – all the better. I’m bookmarking this recipe!

Erica Cooper — November 10, 2010 @ 7:58 am

This is sooo dinner tonight!!!! Thanks!

Alisa — November 10, 2010 @ 8:22 am

This looks DELICIOUS! yum!

Danielle — November 10, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

This looks so delicious! A stir fry that my husband might like since it involves honey. I will just have to try this!

What Happens After Five — November 10, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Looks delicious!!

Shoshana — November 10, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

Made this tonight, super easy and soooo good, even better than I expected. Added mushrooms to the mix because I had them on hand, but otherwise followed the recipe as is. Only wish I had doubled up the veggies…ate them all myself and ended up making another batch!! Thanks for the great recipe, nice way to use up any veggies on hand, and can also imagine it would be good with cashews or almonds for some more crunch.

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 4:44 am

So glad you liked it! I think I will add cashews or peanuts next time too – sounds delish.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 11, 2010 @ 5:19 am

This looks like such a great dish! I have been kind of burnt out lately when it comes to cooking, so it looks like exactly what I need to get back my inspiration!

Lynda@meandmypinkmixer — November 11, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

We eat a ton of chicken in my house too. Thanks for a new recipe ~ making it for dinner tonight!

Dana @ Budget Dietitian — November 11, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

WOW! This looks awesome. And your photo skills are awesome as well. You should teach us all!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Wow… thank you!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — November 14, 2010 @ 1:14 am

I love how the red peppers look against the chicken and the broccoli, and I’m pretty sure I would love how they taste too. I eat chicken multiple times a week too so I can relate on how challenging it is to come up with new recipes/tastes. Good job!

Kristen — November 15, 2010 @ 2:22 am

Made this tonight for dinner! Loved the crunchiness of it! Will make again. =)

Ashley — November 16, 2010 @ 7:55 pm

This looks delicious!

Michelle — November 17, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

Made this for dinner two nights ago, still eating the (still delicious!) leftovers. I got the utmost compliment at work too: not one, but two people asked me for the recipe! Of course I sent them straight here :-) Thanks for this recipe!

• Jessica — November 17th, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Thank you! I am so glad everyone enjoyed it!

lisa — December 8, 2010 @ 1:01 pm

I made this monday night, turned out great!!

Chelsea — December 27, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I am actually about to head to the grocery store in search of ingredients to make Crunchy Honey Chicken (tonight) as well as Gorgonzola Smothered Chicken with Pancetta & Crunchy Chicken Fingers this week. I will report back. My Mister is picky so I’m trying to kick it up a notch as part of my New Year’s resolution… plus, I want to be a better cook! Anyways, let’s just say Mr. How Sweet & my Mister fell from the same tree, so let’s hope I too have success with these recipes!

Brooke — December 28, 2010 @ 3:25 am

I just found your site and made this for dinner tonight. Sad to report that there are no leftovers for lunch. My husband ate 2 plates and I even got some into the kids! I added shelled edamame and toasted sesame seeds and it was awesome. I am so happy to have another easy and quick recipe to use during our crazy hectic week days. Off to browse your recipe index for some more ideas. Thanks!

• Jessica — December 28th, 2010 @ 11:54 am

So glad you liked it!

Cristina Hartman — January 23, 2011 @ 12:41 am

We just tried this dish tonight for the first time and we LOVED it! I think the honey makes the dish! Thanks for a great recipe! I use/try a lot of the ones you share!

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:53 am

I’m thrilled you are enjoying the recipes! Thanks!

Danielle — February 8, 2011 @ 1:43 am

We tried this tonight and it was delicious! Keep em coming!

Emilie — February 13, 2011 @ 4:51 am

My mother and I made this for dinner tonight and we couldn’t believe how delicious (and easy!) it was. We had it with some brown jasmine rice and it was a perfect meal. We had a hard time picking between the Crunchy Honey Chicken or the Cashew Chicken (which is now on the menu tomorrow!). Thank you for all your wonderful recipes. I stumbled upon your blog by accident, but I am SO SO glad I did!

Riann — April 12, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

Hi there! I stumbled onto your recipes on Tasty Kitchen a few months back (and may be a bit of a recipe stalker now…) and I have to say that everything I’ve tried has been DELICIOUS so far! Tonight, I tried this honey chicken and it was positively dreamy. I live by myself, and your recipes are perfect for dinner and a day or two of lunch leftovers. I just wanted to let you know how much I’ve enjoyed your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica — April 12th, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

Thank you so much Riann! :)

Corinne — May 19, 2011 @ 7:57 am

I just found your website this week, and it is AMAZING! I’ve spent a lot of time with your recipes this week! I made the Crisp Honey Chicken for dinner last night, and everyone loved it. In fact, my husband asked if I could make it for his birthday dinner. My picky little eaters (2 and 6) gobbled it up without a fight! Thanks so much for a peaceful dinner! :)

Julianne — May 26, 2011 @ 10:34 am

So obviously I’m not the first person to think this, but I made this chicken last night…and it was amazing!! The whole process only took about 45 minutes, and I couldn’t stop eating it!
    Thank you for this recipe.

• Amanda — October 11th, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

OMG! I couldn’t stop eating it EITHER! My husband was late from work too and I almost ate his portion! HA!

Kristen — May 28, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Thank you!! I am ALWAYS looking for new chicken recipes because, as you said, it gets boring real fast. Can’t wait to try this one out tonight.

Anitra — June 28, 2011 @ 2:14 pm

And this will now be tonight’s dinner. *adds 20 extra minutes to work out* oh not for this dish, this looks healthy. which means i just HAVE to have the snickers ice cream. YAY!!

fittingbackin — July 11, 2011 @ 3:17 pm

I made this for my family yesterday – SO GOOD. Going to post it soon and will of course link over here to your great blog – thank you for a great, light recipe!

Caitlin — October 4, 2011 @ 1:14 am

I made this tonight, we liked it, but it was sort of bland on its own. I don’t know what I did wrong?? Maybe my honey wasn’t sweet enough? I ended up adding more soy sauce than called for and lemon pepper to give it some more flavor. I am a huge fan of your site and love everything I’ve made before so I’m thinking I did something wrong!

Amanda — October 11, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

o.m.g. Jessica, I made this two nights ago and now I can’t get it out of my head. It was AMAZING! I want to make it every night for dinner, it was so freaking good.

Totally making it tomorrow.. and probably the next day.. and the next day..

Mira — April 3, 2012 @ 12:58 pm

This is the new favorite of all recipes in our house!!!! AMAZING!!

Except, is it normal that it takes a while to get all the chicken coated? It seems so time consuming…and my chicken doesn’t look half as good as yours! It always sticks to the pan and then the bread comes off…but it’s still yummy. Any suggestions?

Barbara | Creative Culinary — April 24, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

I eat a lot of chicken too so love a new recipe and a fresh idea and this works perfect for my tastes. I recently made a dish I bet the two of you would love (even with honey…but no veggies!).

I thought it looked interesting but was unprepared for how much we LOVED it. So simple too. Be careful; I seriously ate two of these thighs just standing over the stove.

karueter — February 28, 2013 @ 8:45 pm

This was quick, easy and delicious. Everybody loved it. Thanks!

Heather — November 12, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

Made this tonight- DELISH! Roommates all commented how good it smelt and I assured them it tasted so as well. One thing I found was once I added the honey right at the end the chicken soaked it up and became not so crispy very quickly. Still a bit of crunch to it and delicious as I said but just wondering if you have any tips. Thanks for this!

Dani — January 21, 2014 @ 10:40 pm

What kind of red pepper are we talking about? Obviously not a red bell pepper if it’s supposed to be spicy, right? Thai hot pepper? Thanks!

1. Pingback: Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Chickpea Chicken Soup | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Crunchy Honey Chicken « Bella's Bistro

4. Pingback: Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Granola Bars via How Sweet It Is — Savor The Thyme - Food, Family and Lifestyle

5. Pingback: Healthy Cashew Chicken | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: missing pieces « wild world

7. Pingback: Menus, Week of 3/6 | Adventures in Swedenland

8. Pingback: Crispy Honey Chicken and Honey Grahams | Adventures in Swedenland

9. Pingback: From the Kitchen « Rocket Poo Baby Grins

10. Pingback: Crispy Chicken Skewers with Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Table for Two | The Runny Egg