I have an obsession with these whole grain baguettes. I find myself buying a few of them every week; they are about the size of my forearm and just so perfectly fresh and delicious. Even when Mr. How Sweet peeked into the fridge this week and saw 3 baguettes, he looked at me excitedly and said,”Yes! You make the best things with that bread.”

Homemade French Bread Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

But the truth is, I haven’t been making anything “cool” with this bread for the last few weeks. I have been making these homemade french bread pizzas over and over again, because they are so delicious and the flavor possibilities are endless. And to Mr. How Sweet, having french bread pizza a few nights a week is really cool.
And let’s be honest… creamy cheese melted until it bubbles and browns on crusty, fluffy bread is always cool. Even if there are some ugly veggies underneath.

Homemade French Bread Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Not to mention that these can be thrown together in a matter of minutes. I think that I could make Mr. How Sweet a different one every night of the week and he’d be a happy camper. He’d even be thrilled with the same one, night after night.
Growing up, my mom would make us Stouffer’s french bread pizzas in a pinch. They were quick and easy, and I’m sure she still hoards some stocks a few in her freezer. But these are so much better – instead of the bread being dry and crumbly, it’s fresh and toasted to perfection so you get a crunch on the outside and a soft, fresh bite on the inside. It is an enticing change from regular old pizza. Plus, you have control over which toppings to add, and you can even add lots of vegetables. You know, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Homemade French Bread Pizzas I howsweeteats.com
Homemade French Bread Pizza

1 large or 2 small whole grain french bread loaves

cheese of your choice

toppings of you choice; may I suggest:

For Mr. How Sweet’s meat lovers pizza, I used pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, asiago cheese, parmesan cheese, pepperoni and sausage crumbles.

For my pizza, I brushed the baguette with olive oil, loaded it with garlic, then added mozzarella, asiago and parmesan cheeses, and finally topped with tomato slices.

Method: Preheat oven to 350. Slice baguettes in half, lay on baking sheet, and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes so bread can get crispy. Remove bread, add toppings, and place back in the oven for 10 minutes. Broil for 1 minute to get cheese brown and bubbly.
Homemade French Bread Pizzas I howsweeteats.com

Don’t you just want a cheesy bite?

114 Responses to “Homemade French Bread Pizzas.”

Erika @ Food.Fitness.Fun — November 11, 2010 @ 4:58 am

Mmmm. I love French Bread Pizzas. Unfortunately, I usually eat the frozen variety…not anymore! :-P

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — November 11, 2010 @ 4:59 am

mmm… that bread is beautiful – do you buy it at the grocery store? It looks nicer than the store-bought stuff they have around here.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 11, 2010 @ 4:59 am

Seriously, how simple is that? It looks awesome!

software — November 11, 2010 @ 5:03 am

wow bread pizza!
    i like pizza! pizza delious!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 11, 2010 @ 5:06 am

What a perfect idea! This reminds me of those Lean Cuisine French Bread pizza’s I use to eat…. but these look a gazillion times better :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 11, 2010 @ 5:09 am

yum great for a snack or a meal

Kim in MD — November 11, 2010 @ 5:24 am

YUM! Yes, I would like a bite of each kind, please! Especially the roasted veggie and goat cheese! :-)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — November 11, 2010 @ 5:30 am

I dig it! Pretty (easy) party food!

Beth @ 990 Square — November 11, 2010 @ 5:37 am

When I see these, I can’t keep “Pizza Boat!” from popping into my head. Remember those from grade school? Everyone’s favorite lunch :-)

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:11 am

Oh my gosh! I had totally forgot about pizza boats. You are right! It’s a pizza time machine.

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — November 11, 2010 @ 5:37 am

This looks great. I have pizza on the menu for this weekend, and this looks like just the recipe to follow. Thanks.

Courtney — November 11, 2010 @ 5:39 am

I can’t come to your page on an empty stomach. Now my bowl of cheerios just tastes boring. Mmmm! I love this, I’d do it like you with the slice of tomato. I just love the way tomato tastes when slightly warmed.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — November 11, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Yes, I absolutely do! YUMM! :)

Imwaytoobusy — November 11, 2010 @ 5:48 am

Oh, we loved these growing up! Sounds fantastic!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — November 11, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Mmmm! I DO just want a cheesy bite! I love ANY kind of bread, but load it up with cheese?! Heaven!

Erica — November 11, 2010 @ 6:04 am

I used to BEG my mom to buy Stouffers french bread pizza when I was younger. I should totally make a homemade version

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 11, 2010 @ 6:04 am

Yum! I love French bread pizza. That has me thinking… I made some long sourdough loaves the other day… Perhaps some sourdough pizza would be tasty, too. Now I’m hungry!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:10 am

Oh yum… that sounds incredible! I love sourdough so I think that would be delicious. You must try.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — November 11, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Frenchbread pizzas always remind me of growing up too…yours look so much tastier than the frozen kind!

Heather — November 11, 2010 @ 6:23 am

pizza in any form wins my heart every time!

Amy (Super Healthy Kids) — November 11, 2010 @ 6:32 am

That would definitely be a hit with my kids! Even if it had veggies under that bubbly delicious cheese! Thanks!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — November 11, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I was actually looking for wheat baguettes last night! No dice! These look great. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — November 11, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Yumm these look so much better than Stouffer’s. I’m surprised there was no bacon on yours! ;)

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:09 am

I don’t LOVE bacon on pizza… it’s okay, but I’m more of a plain cheese girl.

With bacon on the side.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — November 11, 2010 @ 6:39 am

You just answered all of my pizza cravings. I’ve been wanting to make my own for ages now, but making my own dough scares me…how did I ever forget about French bread??

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 11, 2010 @ 6:45 am

I can’t believe I have never tried this!! I have had pizza made out of dough, english muffins, pitas, Naan but never french bread!! I am going to try it this weekend, thanks!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:09 am

I thought the same thing when I made them a few weeks ago for the first time!

Erica — November 11, 2010 @ 6:54 am

You are so creative Jess! This recipe looks amazing as well!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 11, 2010 @ 6:55 am

Yes! I love me some pizza anyway you can make it!

marla {family fresh cooking} — November 11, 2010 @ 7:03 am

I love that we can top these pizza’s with anything & everything. Great appetizers or quick meal for the upcoming busy holidays!

Brittney — November 11, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Haha! Your husband’s reaction is so cute. And more importantly, you live near Delallo’s?? Lucky!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Yes! Less than 10 minutes away. Their produce section is better than Whole Foods!

Laura — November 11, 2010 @ 7:16 am

Okay yours looks DELICIOUS! My mom used to serves up those Stouffer’s pizzas too – ha! I am going to write this down right now for next week’s menu! :)

Rachel — November 11, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I DO want a bite! I’ve never made french bread pizza. I’ve been on a pizza kick though trying to make homemade every week or two so I’ll have to pick up a loaf sometime.

the blissful baker — November 11, 2010 @ 7:23 am

oh sooo delicious! melted cheese makes me swoon

Camille — November 11, 2010 @ 7:33 am

What a wonderful idea!
    I never want to buy baguettes because I can easily tear in to them once I get to the car, but this seems like a great, easy idea that will prevent full baguette eatage :)

Lori @ RecipeGirl — November 11, 2010 @ 7:34 am

Yes, I do want a cheesy bite! This is such great food for football Sundays!

Kat — November 11, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I am so making these ASAP!!! I love french bread and the ability to have variety is awesome. Which ones are you favorite?

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Wow, I don’t know if I can choose. It depends on the mood I’m in, but I love BBQ chicken pizzas because they are sweet (caramelized onions) and savory!

Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — November 11, 2010 @ 7:43 am

I eat French Bread Pizza like 3x a week and I have NEVER, EVER even thought to make them myself. I don’t even know why? I get those wack Lean Cuisine ones with the plastic pepperoni, and they do not look like yours. :(

I feel like such a fool…

• Jihane (Sinful Sundays) — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:47 am

I’m making some tonight. I decided.

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 7:52 am

Tracy — November 11, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I haven’t had French bread pizza in so long! Now I’m inspired to make it myself!

Maggie — November 11, 2010 @ 7:57 am

I LOVED Stouffer’s French bread pizzas as a kid. I totally forgot about them! :) I think I’ll try making my own now though.

Corey@therunner'scookie — November 11, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Such a good idea for a quick & easy dinner! I love the idea of toasting with olive oil first then adding cheese. I wonder if my grocery store has baguettes like that…I will have to see this weekend :)

Leslie — November 11, 2010 @ 8:18 am

Jessica,
    I’ve got the next step for you-make the baguettes! I just started doing this and it is so easy! I checked out a book from the library (I think it’s Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day-and there’s a new one Healthy Artisan Bread… that I’ve got on hold now). Anyhow, it is simple. You just use flour, yeast, salt, water, and one batch makes several loaves. You keep the dough in the fridge for up to two weeks, I think, but it never lasts that long at my house. Anyhow, you might want to give it a try. My family is so happy I’m making bread and it’s been so simple!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Great idea! I will definitely be trying this, especially if it is that easy.

• Leslie — November 11th, 2010 @ 10:30 am

Noticing now that I said easy once and simple twice, so you know it must be! I look forward to hearing your results after you try this. If you have a Kitchen Aid and a dough hook, you’ve got it made!
        FYI-I use a half white, half whole wheat flour for the baguette recipe from the first book, I’ve yet to try any recipes from the second, but hope to this weekend.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — November 11, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Anything with a pizza topping is pretty much a win!

I’d love to eat at your house every day!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 8:27 am

I’d love to have you. :)

Baking Serendipity — November 11, 2010 @ 8:24 am

We always had the frozen french bread pizzas when I was a kid too…these look so much better! :)

Karly — November 11, 2010 @ 8:26 am

I make these for lunch quite a bit…so yummy and simple! :)

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com — November 11, 2010 @ 8:37 am

I will be making the bbq chicken version!

Biz — November 11, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I am nearing the end of my second week of Phase I on South Beach. I have been totally fine with not having any bread.

Until reading your post. Now.I.Want.French.Bread.Pizza!!

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Ooops… sorry. :) Hang in there!

• Mr. How Sweet It Is — November 11th, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Mr. How Sweet says put some sausage or chicken on it. That way the item is no longer considered a carb but rather a protein. Mr. How Sweet can justify anything. For example, peanut butter cookies are a protein. Peanut butter has protein therefore so do their cookies.

See how easy that is.

Jennifer@Jane Deere — November 11, 2010 @ 9:00 am

YUM! This brings back so many memories! My mom used to make these when I was young. I loved it because we could basically make our own masterpiece so that everyone was happy! These are sooooo good!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — November 11, 2010 @ 9:07 am

YUM. My gramma used to stock her freezer with those frozen French bread pizza’s and OBV these blow that out of the water. Great idea for when I don’t want to take the time to mess with dough balls ;)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — November 11, 2010 @ 9:24 am

I want that NOW! They look fabulous. :)

Eliana — November 11, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I want waaay more than just one cheesy bite! I want like 50.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — November 11, 2010 @ 10:21 am

So wishing this was my lunch today!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — November 11, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Oh my gosh. I want to live with you. Will Mr. Sweet be okay with that?

• Jessica — November 11th, 2010 @ 10:31 am

Umm… as soon as he sees how cute you are, I’m sure he would be MORE than fine with it.

Emily @ For Sweets Sake — November 11, 2010 @ 10:36 am

I used to eat frozen french bread pizzas like they were going out of style in middle school! These are probably a lot healthier than the frozen ones though ;)

1. Pingback: Human Popsicle | Chasing the Now