Juice Me.

I have a sore throat. And what’s so great about having a blog is that I can whine and complain to the masses about it. Isn’t that fantastic?

Not really. I’m just fibbing. I rarely complain on the screen here. I save it all up for Mr. How Sweet when he gets home from a long, tedious day of work. Aren’t I thoughtful?

So, I’m not really sick, but I do have somewhat of a sore throat and sinus issue going on. It’s just annoying. And calls for lots of chocolate. And Kleenex.

The first thing I did this morning was bring out the juicer.

Remember, when I told you I was really terrible at using gift cards? Well, this past summer I stumbled upon a gift card that we had left from our wedding. I’m not going to tell you where it was for, for fear that the gift-giver is reading and I will be forever humiliated. But I did use the gift card to buy this juicer. And I love it.

We really bought the juicer because there was nothing else we needed, and I wasn’t about to let Mr. How Sweet spend the gift card on a life-size Dale Earnhardt Jr clock.

Did you spy my cookie jar in the back?

Yes, it is full 95% of the time. I want to be the wife/daughter/mother/grandmother/overeater that always has a full cookie jar. 1950′s here I come!

Back to the juice.

I only bring the juicer out in times of sickness or extreme hangovers. The reason being is that not only is it a pain to clean, but it is so expensive due to the amount of produce it uses. And I’d rather eat my food, not drink it. Well, except when it comes to vegetables. I’d rather not eat or drink those.

Did you ever wonder what the inside looks like?

Those spikes can pulverize anything.

I always feel energized and great after drinking juice. I assume I’d also feel this way after eating veggies, but that still doesn’t tempt me to throw the broccoli stalk in my shopping cart.

I brought out the goods for juicing.

The only thing missing from this was an apple. That is my favorite juice combo.

And I love ginger – it gives it a little kick.

Citrus saves me when it comes to juices because I feel like I’m drinking lemonade. It helps to mask some of the veggie flavor.

I don’t even know why I had this in our house. It is so ugly.

I am so glad it is out of my sight.

And don’t worry, I didn’t murder anyone.

The prettiest part of the juice is the foam!

Doesn’t it look like merlot? In that case, I figure why not drink it out of a tumbler?

The juicer I have separates the foam from the juice. Is this normal? Are you not supposed to drink the foam? I’ve never tried.

As long as I get some sweetness, I love juice.

Just beware… the ugly beets stain everything.

The only other thing on my mind today was comfort food. After seeing some discussion on Twitter, I made a big grilled cheese with pickles of the side.

And do you know what else? I like to dip my grilled cheeses in ketchup. As much as I flame Mr. How Sweet for ruining everything with ketchup, I pile a big glob right next to my grilled cheeses and dig in. And I like to dip them in pickle juice too. Are you thoroughly grossed out yet?

Good, then I’ll stop. I won’t tell you what I had for dessert…

73 Responses to “Juice Me.”

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — November 18, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

was dessert a cherpumple???

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Nooo… as sweet as my teeth are, I am not digging the cherpumple. But I know Victoria from District Chocoholic is!

• Wei-Wei — November 19th, 2010 @ 4:01 am

I think cherpumples are so intimidating.

• Jessica — March 27th, 2011 @ 6:09 pm

I just came across this blog from your blog I received via email today… I had to share that instead of dipping my grilled cheese in pickle juice, I have to have the pickles added to the sandwich after it’s done cooking. People think I’m so weird but why else would it be served with pickles? That was my theory as a kid and I still stick to it. Love your blogs!

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — November 18, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

I have that exact same juicer! And I TOTALLY agree with you on both counts – its a pain to clean, and it uses SO much produce for a glass of juice. However, the vitamins and healing power a glass has makes it worth it when sick.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 18, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

You can whine to us anytime you want. As long as you keep posting recipes for cheesy casseroles and fudgy chocolate pom cookies, I’ll listen.

Andrea — November 18, 2010 @ 9:11 pm

Mmm. Full cookie jars make me happy. :)

Well, I’m sorry you have a sore throat! No fun at all.

An idea for the foam: My grandfather has a juicer (and uses it all the time. He’s a health freak.) He takes the foam, freezes it, and eats it like ice cream, and tells me it tastes good!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

Wow! Really? That is crazy cool.

Becca — November 18, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

I’m sorry, my sweet girl, but even with your wonderful photography, I won’t go near a glass of juiced vegetables… ewww…the thought makes me gag.
    Well, unless it’s tomato juice…with hot sauce….and LOTS of lemon.

If you start mentioned tossing Brussels into that juicer, I’m going to consider calling Mr. How Sweet and asking him to take you to Brussels therapy.. LOL

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

I like tomato juice, with hot sauce and lemon… and vodka.

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

The day I juice brussels is the day I have been abducted by aliens.

Stacey — November 18, 2010 @ 9:14 pm

I LOVE ketchup with my grilled cheese! people make fun of me all the time. Fresh juice is so awesome, I just get lazy with the clean up.

Feel better soon!

Abby — November 18, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

An overeater would have an empty cookie jar. Say…like mine! ;)

Feel better soon!

Kacy — November 18, 2010 @ 9:18 pm

I want a juicer! And I think beets are lovely ;)

I need a grilled cheese in my life. Right now!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 18, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

I need some of that juice! My throat is killing me too :(

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — November 18, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

I want one now!

janae @hungryrunnergirl.com — November 18, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

I dip mine in ketchup too!! Your juice looks so good:)

Kristina @ spabettie — November 18, 2010 @ 9:38 pm

oooh, I want a foam separator !! I love me some juice… and that is my favorite combo too… apple, carrot, beet and ginger, with a splash of ACV.

I have a pretty good comfort food grilled cheese on my blog today… ;)

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

Oh em gee… yes you do. Your bread looks perfect. Will you come make me one for dinner?

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day — November 18, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

I have ALWAYS had grilled cheese sandwiches with ketchup. When everyone thought I was gross, I asked them to try it and they always ended up agreeing with me. Thrilled that someone else does it as well :)

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — November 18, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

My throat is feeling sore today too. Wish I had a juicer!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 18, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

i need a juicer just so i can take photos of the pretty foam :)

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 18, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

omg i love grilled cheese dipped in ketchup! i’ve actually put ketchup on the inside before grilling too

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Hmmm! Never thought of that.

angien24 — November 18, 2010 @ 9:52 pm

I always dip my grilled cheese in ketchup! (sometimes tomato soup, but usually ketchup).
    I like a lot of vegetables, but one that I dread is beets. Did that juice taste ANYthing like beets?
    Hope you’re feeling better soon!
    Angie

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Umm… I’ve never had a beet? Haha. They key with juicing is to use fruits as your sweeteners (or so I’ve read). So if you use a beet, plus and apple and lemon, it shouldn’t really taste too “beety.”

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — November 18, 2010 @ 10:05 pm

I dip grilled cheese sandwiches in ranch dressing. I’m 5 years old inside.

I’d love a juicer if only our kitchen had a teensy bit more room!

Taryn — November 18, 2010 @ 10:11 pm

I LOVE grilled cheese and ketchup! Tastes just like a deep-fried cheese curd! O yum, you might have triggered my dinner craving!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

I have never had a cheese curd. I hear my life is not complete.

• Taryn — November 19th, 2010 @ 1:51 am

It isn’t! You are missing out! Fresh and squeaky, or deep fried….they are the bomb!

Susan — November 18, 2010 @ 10:17 pm

I hope your throat feels better!

When I was little, I put ketchup on everything. Eggs, carrots, peanutbutter sandwiches…it was freaky looking back!

• Jessica — November 18th, 2010 @ 10:25 pm

Peanut butter sandwiches?! That’s a new one.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — November 18, 2010 @ 10:31 pm

Ahh grill cheeses make everything better. I could totally desimate one right about now!

Matt — November 18, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

I hope your throat feels better!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — November 18, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

A nice glass of pickle juice for dessert huh? I love the color of your juice and love beets, yum!

Amisha — November 18, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

My husband loves to dip his grilled cheese in ketchup! Kind of ruins the expensive white cheddar I buy, but whatever. It’s his loss!

Along the lines of pickles, I LOVE putting a few pickled jalapenos inside the grilled cheese. You just have to dry them on a paper towel quickly, otherwise it gets soggy. It reminds me a lot of the movie theater nachos…YUM.

RhodeyGirl — November 18, 2010 @ 11:27 pm

Glad you enjoyed that grilled cheese! I can’t wait to have one!!! Now that we have power back the grilled cheese, kettle chips, pickle on the side is only a day away woohoo!

Feel better lady! Drink lots of hot tea with honey and lemon!

Cara Craves... — November 18, 2010 @ 11:58 pm

Beets can be gorgeous, don’t be so hard on them!
    Have you ever made beet risotto?
    It’s quite lovely to look at and eat :)

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

If you make it for me, I will try it. :)

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — November 19, 2010 @ 12:02 am

I love dipping my grilled cheese in ketchup! Actually, I just love grilled cheese in general. It’s such a delicious, simple treat. As for your juicer – it’s very cool, but I could never bring myself up to juice veggies. Just the idea of it is…not yummy to me lol

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 12:17 am

Trust me… if I can do, so can you.

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — November 19, 2010 @ 12:06 am

What did you have for dessert?!

Grilled cheese is such a good comfort food indulgence–I love dipping mine in tomato soup…which really isn’t too far removed from ketchup, right?

vanillasugar — November 19, 2010 @ 12:07 am

so many people have been having sinus problems. i had them something awful months ago which then led to an earinfucktion. great eh? someone told me to boost my canteloupe (high in vit c ) and boost my raw onion intake up. i did and it helped a lot. whether or not it truly worked i haven’t a clue, BUT i did learn that the onion family is a key healing element in prevention allergies from coming on.
    aren’t you so glad i told you all this?

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 12:16 am

Why yes, I am. But I don’t think I’ll be having a raw onion anytime soon!

CaSaundra — November 19, 2010 @ 12:10 am

Mr.Sweet and I would def get along..I drown just about everything with ketchup haha

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 19, 2010 @ 12:36 am

the BEST part of a grilled cheese sandwich is that first bite ohhhh my its so good

The Duo Dishes — November 19, 2010 @ 12:52 am

Grilled cheese in ketchup is cool. Not sure about the grilled cheese in pickle juice. :)

the blissful baker — November 19, 2010 @ 12:57 am

that is a GREAT cookie jar, i love it! your veggie/fruit juice looks yummy… maybe i’ll invest in a juicer?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 19, 2010 @ 1:12 am

Confession: I dip everything in ketchup. There, I said it!!

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 1:29 am

You and Mr. How Sweet would be BFF’s.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 19, 2010 @ 1:53 am

the only way to eat grilled cheese is dipped in ketchup. I like to thinly slice red onion and put that in my grilled cheese before frying it up too!! Yum Yum.

My dad makes this crazy grilled cheese concoction: cheese, ketchup, peanut butter, and pickles. Gross, I know. He has been trying to get me to try it since I was little… I never have to this day.

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 2:01 am

So funny – for Mr. How Sweet’s dinner tonight I added caramelized onions to his grilled cheese. He loved it!

And that concoction does sound gross, but my dad grew up eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Maybe it’s a generation thing?

Katie — November 19, 2010 @ 3:12 am

Mmmm, that looks irresistible to me! I think I’m going to have to put a juicer on my Christmas/birthday wish list.

Kristi — November 19, 2010 @ 5:24 am

I pulled my juicer out today, too. I just kept it simple with some carrot/pineapple juice. I love that juice. The juicer is a pain to clean. Some weeks I use it everyday. Other times it sits on the shelf for a month.

• Jessica — November 19th, 2010 @ 11:59 am

That combo sounds delicious!

Marika — November 19, 2010 @ 11:12 am

I have to have ketchup with my grilled cheese too! Nothing weird about that.

Kristy — November 19, 2010 @ 12:58 pm

You always make me smile <3

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — November 19, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

Ruin things with ketchup? You just hurt my heart. I thought we were friends.

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:30 am

I’ll send you some cookies as an apology.

Teresa — November 19, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

I try to use my juicer every other day…and you’re so right, it costs a dang fortune!
    My fav juice combo is similar to yours with a few extras… lemon, apple, cucumber, celery, carrot, beet & ginger. When I juice regularly – I never get sick…wish I could sucker my husband into drinking the stuff too :)

Hannah — November 19, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

I do love grilled cheese sandwiches too… never ever get tired of them! Seeing your juicer brings back childhood memories… our family got on a big health kick and my mom wanted us 4 youngest kids to drink carrot juice everyday… straight, plain carrot juice. It was difficult for most of us to stomach so she offered a monetary reward if we did it all week without missing a day. That sure helped but I still had to drink most of my cups while plugging my nose to block out the taste… crazy! :-) Now, if there was an apple added to the carrots, the taste was 10 times better… but that didn’t help how long it took for a seven year old little girl (me) to clean the crazy juicer. Thanks for bringing back some funny orange memories!

Kim in MD — November 19, 2010 @ 6:50 pm

I love your cookie jar, Jessica! That said, I am a little grossed out about the ketchup and pickle juice…eeewww! ;-)

Allison in VA — November 19, 2010 @ 7:22 pm

Jessica -

First I wanted to tell you what a fantastic writer you are – my roommate and I stumbled across your blog (on our lunch hour, when we were clearly hard at work…) and have been avid followers ever since. Congratulations on finding something that not only makes you happy, but obviously makes others equally fulfilled!

Second, I understand what you mean about (your husband) drowning everything in ketchup. My father hails from New Jersey, and I don’t think I’ve seen the man eat a breakfast meal without the addition of it. Eggs, bacon, toast and ketchup? Sounds like Tuesdays when I was growing up. And lunches, and dinners.

Finally, I am right there with you on juicing just about everything. My parents got a juicer for Christmas one year from an aunt (why remains to be known) and I confiscated it when I moved out a few years ago. I returned it to it’s rightful owners when I started sharing my kitchen, but I used to do kale juice, apples, oranges, carrots and pear juice for breakfast (it sound disgusting, believe me) and it helped me through workouts I never thought I would finish.

Good luck with the sore throat, and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — November 20, 2010 @ 5:22 am

My husband and I both dip our grilled cheese into ketchup – it’s the only way!

Marie — November 21, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I love your cookie jar! Hmm, I am pretty good at eating veggies and your juice looks really pretty but I can’t imagine downing it. Is it anything like a V8 (yuck!)?

Oh and my husband and I got married back in 2004 and still have some gift certificates. In fact, a couple expired. I was pretty bummed about that! :(

Valerie from Sex, Food, and Rock & Roll — November 21, 2010 @ 6:36 am

I LOVE grilled cheese dipped in pickle juice! Everyone always says I’m weird and that it’s disgusting, but it’s so good!

Lindsey @ Sunshine and Jellybeans — November 22, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

Ok…I love grilled cheese, and I love pickles (including the juice)…so I guess that shouldn’t be a weird combination! I think I’d experiment with putting sliced pickles inside the grilled cheese first though.

I don’t have a juicer, but I have been experimenting with green smoothies (a combination of fruits and green leafy vegetables)…although I can’t afford a $500 blender, so I just use my Magic Bullet :) a couple chunks of kale in a smoothie never hurt anyone!

Keep up the good work Jessica!

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2010 @ 9:43 pm

I make green smoothies in my bullet too! I don’t have Vitamix and my regular blender broke long ago.

Aron Walles — July 5, 2013 @ 12:27 am

Antibiotics are not usually prescribed for a sore throat, unless it is particularly severe or you are considered at risk of a more serious infection.`;^:

Catch ya later