It’s pretty hard to practice self restraint around something like this.

I am quite hypocritical, posting my love for peanut butter and jelly baked goods when I don’t really love peanut butter and jelly itself. It’s definitely delicious, but if I’m having a sandwich, I usually want it to be stuffed with cheese and bacon. But I do enjoy a good piece of toast slathered with peanut butter and jelly. I say that counts.

This process was quick and painless. I actually found the recipe scribbled on an index card in an old recipe book of my Mother Lovett’s. I had never tried it before, and you know I love to try different recipes. So into the kitchen I roamed with my big bag of sugar and tub of peanut butter. I may have also been carrying a spoon. A large, peanut butter-covered spoon.

Oh well.

The finished product barely made it from the oven to the table. A few fell and tripped right into my mouth. Silly cookies.
Some were salvaged. Good thing, too. I had big plans for these jems. Plans that included stuffing and icing the peanut butter rounds with jewel-colored jelly.

To fill and frost, I used some of my favorite preserves.

The jam flavors flying through my head at this moment were endless. I would be lying if I told you I didn’t try it with a spoonful of red haven peach preserves. I really wanted to slather on some honeycrisp apple conserve. And how fabulous would it be with fig jam? I love fig jam. I love figs. Oh… how I love them. Why must I live on the East coast where figs barely exist?
I’m just making that up. I’m sure you can find figs somewhere. And by somewhere, I mean other than my grocery store for $8.00 a pint.

I’m not sure how I managed this, but I was able to save a few cookies for Mr. How Sweet. Many days the treats have disappeared by the time he returns home. He was a happy camper.
In fact, he declared these the “best peanut butter cookies I’ve ever made.” I don’t put much stock in that, considering the guy can’t remember what he ate for lunch yesterday. But I did pipe up and agree. These were really delicious. The cookie was a bit crispy and crunchy on the outside, but still chewy on the inside. In other words… perfection.

Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies

makes about 24 cookies

2 cups peanut butter

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

2 tablespoons milk

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream peanut butter and sugar together until thoroughly mixed. Add eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Add salt and baking soda, then add milk. Roll dough into balls and place on a baking sheet.

For thumbprints: Bake cookies at 350 for 8 minutes, remove pan and press a finger right now in the middle of the cookie to create a well. Bake for 2 more minutes. Let cool completely, then spoon a teaspoon of jam or jelly into the cookie.

For sandwich cookies: After rolling dough into balls, press dough to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Spread a tablespoon of jam or jelly on the flattest side of one cookie, and top it with another cookie.

Devour!

Would you like a cookie?

115 Responses to “Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies: 2 Ways!”

Mansee — November 19, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever attempted a flourless cookie before…how interesting. I can’t try these since I’m allergic to peanut butter (my life is a joke, I know) but I’ll dream about them!

Jenny — November 19, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

I love peanut butter cookies! Those turned out great! Will definitely have to try!

Natalia - a side of simple — November 19, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

These can replace my pb&j lunch sandwich, right? :)

Lauren — November 19, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

No I would not like a cookie. I would like 5. Or 10 ;).

Judi — November 19, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

These look incredible. I’m a peanut butter-aholic. I eat peanut butter in some form every day of my life. Luckily its usually with an apple! I have a question though, does it matter if I use creamy or chunky peanut butter?? Thanks for the fun recipe! Can’t wait to make em!!

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:31 am

Hmmm… I doubt it. I didn’t try it with chunky, but if you do, let me know!

Kat — November 19, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

I have a very unamerican hatred for Peanut Butter. Must be because I’m not american. Seriously though – I love Peanuts, I like almond butter, I love butter. But Peanut Butter? YUCK YUCK YUCK

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:30 am

It if makes you feel better, I absolutely despise almond butter. I don’t get why everyone loves it. It tastes like bland cardboard to me.

amanda @ fake ginger — November 19, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

Mmm, you can’t beat a peanut butter cookie! They look fantastic!

Stephanie — November 19, 2010 @ 6:00 pm

The PB&J cookie sammies are darling! I love them!

Katie@Cozydelicious — November 19, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Can you send me a cookie right now???? I love the idea of sandwiching the jelly. Yum!!!

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:29 am

I wish I could!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 19, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

Those look super delish! I’ve always been a fan of the PB&J combo :)

Kim in MD — November 19, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

Peanut butter and jelly cookies? Amazing! You are so creative, Jessica! :-)

Katie — November 19, 2010 @ 6:51 pm

Yes, I would like a cookie. Or 5. Peanut butter cookies are my VERY favorite kind, and I don’t know WHY I’ve never thought to add jam to them…genius, I tell you!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 19, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

These look amazing!!!!! So buttery good and just like I remember pb cookies from my childhood looking…of course, the jelly on top just adds to it!

I tried ALL DAY yesterday, about 10x, to comment on your site..I tried so many different ways and I couldnt get in. I was reading.

I have so much to tell you. I know you’re slammed but hope you’re doing good :)

Jessica — November 19, 2010 @ 7:26 pm

Wow, no flour? I think I will make them today in this rainy weather we are having. Thanks!

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:29 am

No flour! :)

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 4:53 am

Ok I made these today and they were AWESOME!!!

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

Woohoo! So glad you like them. ;)

Kim — November 19, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

I have been thinking that a PB and J cookie would be fantastic. You must have been thinking the same thing! I love that you used American Spoon preserves! Do they have stores out east? I love visiting their stores and making a pig out of myself on all the yummy samples!

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:29 am

Nope they don’t, but we have vacationed in Northern Michigan for years and buy the place out when we go. And we also order online!

the blissful baker — November 19, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

those look amazing! i love the twist you put on an old classic. so creative, and they look super yummy!

Caitlin — November 19, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

That third picture of the stack of cookies? Is amazingly beautiful. Like cookbook worthy. Seriously.

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:27 am

Thank you my love!

Blond Duck — November 19, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

You’re my hero.

Steph — November 19, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

wow wow wow.
    thats genius- putting jelly on peanut butter cookies! I cannot believe I have never come across this idea before! You should write a book on this stuff. Serious, with cute stories about Mother Lovett! That would be sooo great. you could put photos of her, and recipes photocopied right off of her recipe cards!

I would order one for SURE.

Amanda — November 19, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

I cant believe how hungry you just made me. Seriously, I must be having a MAD pregnancy craving and now I have to drive 10 miles to the nearest store so I can make these. Oh. My. Word.

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 12:27 am

I wish you were close and I could bake you some. ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — November 20, 2010 @ 3:13 am

Truth- I am not a jelly fan. Maybe it’s because my dad had us growing up eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches?

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 3:19 pm

I’m not a huge jelly fan either, unless it’s with peanut butter.

Andrea — November 20, 2010 @ 4:18 am

I love peanut butter and jelly! One of the best flavor combinations. :)

The cookies look fabulous! I should try this recipe, it look VERY peanut buttery (which is a good thing) – TWO CUPS of peanut butter!

Yummers.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — November 20, 2010 @ 11:49 am

fantastic idea – especially for those of us who love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

Healthy Chocoholic — November 20, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

YUM!!!! I love, love, LOVE peanut butter anything. You know what else is good in a pb cookie? A hershey’s kiss. Sort of like a jelly thumbprint cookie but with chocolate. Of course, when you use jelly, its healthier, and therefore you can most definitely eat cookies for breakfast.

• Jessica — November 20th, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

Oh I love peanut butter blossoms. They are my favorite cookie!

FoodCents — November 21, 2010 @ 1:53 am

Um… yes please :)

So I was thinking about the versatility of the classic PB cookie & how bacon could be incorporated. I still don’t quite have an answer, but I shall ponder this important issue…

Katie — November 21, 2010 @ 2:24 am

I just made these. I don’t know if my boyfriend’s oven is freaky, but mine turned out very very flat. Depressingly flat. Any idea what could have gone wrong?

• Jessica — November 21st, 2010 @ 3:29 am

Did you following the recipe exactly, measure everything? It really could be a lot of different things, but first thing that comes to mind is the temperature of the oven. It could be off, even if you have it set at the specified temp!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — November 21, 2010 @ 4:26 am

yes, I would like 5 cookies :-)

Dustin Baier — November 21, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

I love peanut butter cookies and these look so tasty. You should share them over at http://www.dishfolio.com they would be a great addition.

Lindsay — November 22, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

I loved reading this post…have read your blog for a while now, and when I saw the Red Haven preserves I couldn’t believe it! I was born, raised, and still live in the town where those were developed, South Haven, MI! It’s a small world afterall…
    Can’t wait to make these cookies!

• Jessica — November 22nd, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

Oh I am envious! You are so close and probably get them all the time. We love all American Spoon products. Thanks for commenting!

Annie — December 6, 2010 @ 5:38 am

Hi Jessica-

I’ve read on other blogs that “natural” peanut butter shouldn’t be used when making these cookies without flour. Your thoughts/suggestions? I was thinking Skippy “No Stir Natural” would be okay; any brand you recommend? Thanks! Your red velvet chocolate cookies are AMAZING! My friends and family think so, too! :)

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

I agree – I don’t ever use true natural peanut butter when baking, but here I did use the Skippy Natural and it worked fine! Glad you liked the cookies. :)

Kayla G. — February 12, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

I have tried 2 of your recipies in a week. This one, and the Cake Batter Pancakes.. And I must say, AMAAAZZZINNNGGG! Thank you so much. I am a novice baker, and both were incredibly easy, fun, and DELICIOUS! In this one, I subbed 1 of the cups of Peanut butter with 1 cup of extra crunchy Peanut Butter.. And I also subbed 1 of the cups of sugar with brown sugar… They are better than my Grandma’s (as far as just peanut butter cookies go) and I thought that was impossible. Again, thank you, and keep up the good work. I will be following your recipies for all of my “sweet treat” needs! <3 <3 <3

Caitlin — March 13, 2011 @ 12:22 am

I agree with Katie! I made these and followed the recipe exactly, but when it came time for me to roll the dough into balls, it was so incredibly greasy. I baked them for as long as the recipe says, but mine also came out depressingly flat! :( I still have to put the next sheet in the oven, but I’m thinking of leaving them in there a little bit longer because with the first tray, they weren’t baked all the way through! I don’t know what I did wrong here.

I love your blog so much, Jessica. I make a new cookie almost every weekend! even made Fat, Fluffy Snickerdoodles last time and they came out amazing! Keep it up!

Caitlin — March 13, 2011 @ 1:20 am

Is there supposed to be no flour in this recipe?

• Jessica — March 13th, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Correct. They are flourless.

Angeline — November 16, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

saw this recipe and wanted to make it immediately! but the dough was just too sticky and greasy to roll into balls and like some other posts say, the cookies came out so flat! I’m not sure what went wrong because I followed the recipe exactly. oh well. they still taste delicious!

Sam — January 16, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

I tried this recipe and my cookies turned out very flat :( I pressed them with a fork before putting them in the oven. I did everything correctly. Is it maybe because I used fat free milk? Does the brand of peanut butter make much difference?

Limabean — February 12, 2014 @ 9:06 pm

These peanut butter cookies turned out really well. ♥

Shanik — April 21, 2014 @ 4:42 pm

Just tried these… added a tbs of flour cause my dough was more like a batter. came out yummy and perfect texture to remove the center and add the jelly…
    GREAT RECIPE will try with a little faith and not flour.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies: 2 Ways! | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Oatmeal PB&J Cookies | The Lean Green Bean