Wise Words.

Today would have been my grandparents 58th wedding anniversary. In fact, they were together for more than 60 years as a couple. 60 years!

Weren't they a gorgeous couple?

For the first time last year, we celebrated Christmas day at my parents’ house. My grandparents had hosted it for years, but a few weeks before the holiday my grandma hurt her knee and wasn’t feeling up to it. We had no idea that it would actually be her last Christmas.

At one point in the evening, Mr. How Sweet and I were in my parents’ foyer hugging and kissing and doing whatever newlyweds do. My grandma walked out of the bathroom and almost smacked into us as we were kissing, with a slightly embarrassed, “Ohh!.”

As our cheeks turned bright red, we fully expected her (the elegant, classy lady) to keep on walking. Instead, she turned around and walked toward us and whispered, “That is good. Never stop doing that. Don’t ever stop. You always do that.”

I will never forget that moment. Truer words have never been spoken. There has never been a lack of affection in our family, and throughout my entire life it has been quite clear that my parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles are still so in love. I am so lucky. I learned so much from her, but that, perhaps, is the most significant.

Yes, that's Mother Lovett's little white head in the corner.

Even though today will be difficult for my grandpa, he has mentioned countless times over the last 9 months how lucky he was that he got to spend 60+ years with such an incredible woman. They were no one else like her.

I can only hope to be so lucky.

72 Responses to “Wise Words.”

Kristina @ spabettie — November 29, 2010 @ 8:29 pm

oh, just <3 …

that is VERY wise advice…

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — November 29, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

Perfect advice.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — November 29, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

This post made me tear up a bit.

I think we can learn SO much from our parents and grandparents about relationships. These days, its almost like love has become unimportant.

My grandparents had the most amazing relationship – they were always SUCH an inspiration, and actually, when my Grandpa was dying, he was on too many pain meds to remember much. He didnt even recognize us most of the time. But one thing he DID remember was his wedding day, and that he thought my grandma was beautiful.

• Jessica — November 29th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

That gave me chills!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — November 29, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

this brought tears to my eyes…i remember the day you told us what happened and i can’t even begin to imagine how you grandpa must feel. i’ll be keeping him and you in my prayers!

G — November 29, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

That is one of the sweetest stories I have ever heard… definitely tearing up…

Jess@atasteofconfidence — November 29, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

beautiful post. My grandparents have been married for 65 years, and they are a great example for the rest of the family:)

megan @ whatmegansmaking — November 29, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

beautiful post, and such wonderful advice. My husband and I say all the time that we’re never going to stop being the way we are now (affectionate, obviously in love, etc). How wonderful to have such examples in your life. I feel like all we hear is “wait 10 years and see if you feel the same way”. That’s so depressing – why would you tell someone that? Love this post – it’s so uplifting! ;)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie — November 29, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

Ok, I just tagged this under Inspiration in my reader. What a beautiful family!

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — November 29, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Great advice!! And what a wonderful photo!

Natalia - a side of simple — November 29, 2010 @ 9:04 pm

Oh how beautiful! My grandparents recently celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary and they have been a couple for more than 70 years (they started dating/courting at 16). We’re so blessed to have such vivid signs of love in our lives. Thanks so much for sharing, Jessica!

• Jessica — November 29th, 2010 @ 9:08 pm

That is amazing!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — November 29, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

what a beautiful story and great advice to hold onto! love that picture of you at your wedding!!

melissa — November 29, 2010 @ 9:06 pm

this is one of my most favorite posts from you. so true. i will miss my grandma too – always do during the holidays. it’s really nice to read this from ya. thanks for sharing with us.

Lauren @ Once Upon a Brewhouse — November 29, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Beautiful family, beautiful words! Thank you for such a touching, elegant post.

barefootgirl27 — November 29, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

what a wonderful story…..

:tears:

Torrie @ a place to share... — November 29, 2010 @ 9:18 pm

It has been a pretty stressful week, with -honestly- not enough affection.

This post touched and inspired me. Thank you for sharing your grandmother’s wise words with us.

Healthy Chocoholic — November 29, 2010 @ 9:21 pm

Aww what a sweet story!!!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — November 29, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

beautiful. love her little words of advice, and the pictures are so beautiful.

Maria — November 29, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

Way to go make me cry at my desk :’). SO SWEET! They are a handsome couple!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — November 29, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Awww, this post is SO sweet. Great story.

Kaley — November 29, 2010 @ 9:36 pm

You are quite lucky to have such an example in your life. My grandparents love each other too, in a way that is perhaps less obvious but nonetheless so very real. My parents are a different story, yet I still hold out hope that my story will be different than theirs.

Never stop. She was right. A beautiful story from a beautiful woman. Keep bakin’ and keep kissin’ that man of yours! ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — November 29, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

OH what a heart felt post:) Just makes me smile. You sure do have a great family, Jessica!!

Holly — November 29, 2010 @ 9:51 pm

Aww, this was so sweet- made me tear up a little bit. I love love & I love to love :) Sounds like your grandmother was the same way.

Rebekah — November 29, 2010 @ 9:53 pm

Totally made me cry. I was just thinking the other day about how busy we get sometimes and forget about the little things like “kissing!” It’s important and still sweeps me off my feet after 16 years!!

Gabriela (froyolover) — November 29, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

Awwww!
    I bet your Grandma was the sweetest!

Lisa — November 29, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

This was such a sweet post. I hope to have half of what they did someday :)

Melissa — November 29, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

What a lovely post, Jessica. You are lucky to have such an affectionate family that appreciates one another. I’m glad your grandma was able to pass that advice on to you. How Sweet, indeed! :)

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — November 29, 2010 @ 10:33 pm

so sweet!! And great advice!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — November 29, 2010 @ 10:38 pm

Beautiful advice. This post made me very happy. :)

Ash — November 29, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

I am a huge sap. This brought tears to my eyes.

Sylvia — November 29, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

Tears in my eyes!! Beautiful story. :)

Kacy — November 29, 2010 @ 10:51 pm

This really touched me. My family wasn’t so lucky in the love department, and it makes me so happy that yours is filled with so much love and romance. That’s really special!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — November 29, 2010 @ 11:12 pm

This brings tears to my eyes. I think old love is the most beautiful kind of all- to be with someone for 50 years and to still love them more than anything. My grandfather still looks at my grandmother like she’s the most beautiful thing he’s ever seen, and says that God better take him first, because he couldn’t live without her. It makes me believe in love :)

Talia @Texas Gunslinger — November 29, 2010 @ 11:14 pm

Precious! And, yes, those are wise words. Life is too darn short not to experience those butterfly and fireworks moments with loved ones:)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — November 29, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

Oh, I so want that too! True love stories get me every time. I will be thinking about your grandfather…I know your grandmother is watching over him.

Amanda — November 29, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

I totally cried while reading this. That is a fantastic story and she sounds like such a warm grandma. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — November 29, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

Awwe this is so sweet :) She must have been an amazing woman. And it’s ture..never stop showing your loved ones that you actually do love them. You never know when you wont be able to anymore.

Mama Pea — November 30, 2010 @ 12:52 am

This is the very sweetest thing I have read in a long time. Thank you!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — November 30, 2010 @ 12:56 am

Thank you for sharing this! How sweet. Grandmother’s are amazing. My grandma dropped Christmas decorations for my apartment off at my work today, because, “It doesn’t seem right for you NOT to have a tree, I don’t care how small it is.” :)

Wei-Wei — November 30, 2010 @ 12:57 am

You have an amazing family, Jessica!

mags — November 30, 2010 @ 1:12 am

Crying here too. My parents were married for 67 years before my dad died (mom’s still with us.) It’s so wonderful to see the love between two people who have been together for so long. I plan on staying married to hubby for 67 years, but here’s the kicker…. we’re only HALF WAY there at 32 years. Can I really tolerate him that long? LOL

• Jessica — November 30th, 2010 @ 1:16 am

This is why I love you!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — November 30, 2010 @ 1:24 am

oh my. those are amazing words and great advice. Your grandpa is super strong

Lauren — November 30, 2010 @ 1:38 am

What a beautiful thing to share. It seems like our grandparents generation really had something solid about love they were willing to pass along. When my grandma passed, my pap visited her grave every day. He said there was never a stronger love. That sort of commitment is so refreshing. Especially now…with the holidays around, it’s nice to remember that sort of thing.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — November 30, 2010 @ 2:51 am

Grandparents are so wise – I always listen up really well whenever the Husband’s grandma starts talking to me. I take it all in!

Katie — November 30, 2010 @ 3:16 am

What beautiful advice! My family is also extremely affectionate, and I LOVE seeing/knowing that the couples in my family are still in love.

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — November 30, 2010 @ 3:19 am

Such a beautiful post. And your grandmother is gorgeous!

the blissful baker — November 30, 2010 @ 4:44 am

what a sweet post :)

Rachel Wilkerson — November 30, 2010 @ 4:58 am

So romantic! Love this story but it also makes me sad to think about 60 years of that kind of love having to end. But still, thanks for such a sweet post!!

Tricia @{every}nothing wonderful — November 30, 2010 @ 5:21 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one who got misty eyed at this lovely post! She sounds like an incredible woman to have known.

justine — November 30, 2010 @ 6:14 am

I am so entirely NOT a crybaby – but this post has just made me weep buckets. And I’m at work…!
    How is it done, to be so happy in love? It can’t be just good luck. What’s the secret, I wonder?

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — November 30, 2010 @ 11:05 am

I just got chills….beautiful

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Wise Words. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: A Picture Says a Thousand Words. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Free Chocolate. [Plus a Williams Sonoma gift card!] | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Simple, Light Crab Cakes | How Sweet It Is