You could say that after the cake batter bark, I developed a bit of a bark obsession.
Better yet – a full-fledged addiction. I can’t stop thinking about bark combinations, bark flavors, bark textures, bark colors…

And before you ask, no, I don’t have a life. (FYI: have you seen this bark? I swear she is inside my head.)
So instead of boring you with two different bark recipes in the same month (totaling the bark recipes to three!), I decided to share them both in one post. Bark overload. Bark insanity. Bark gluttony.

Do you mind? Good.
Let’s get started. The first bark is island coconut lime bark.

Don’t feel like being in the snow for Christmas? Then make this! It will transport you to the tropics.

Except after you eat it all you probably won’t want to see a bikini for at least six weeks.

I have been eyeing this coconut Lindt for months, and it was the first thing that came to mind when I thought of this bark. It is not required – you can simply use white chocolate and add coconut. But I love the taste and texture it gave.

island coconut lime chocolate bark I howsweeteats.com

And I know… I just mentioned that I didn’t really like dried fruit and nuts in my chocolate. Well, this doesn’t count. You can eat this in addition to all of the other chocolate you eat. Because it’s fruit, so it’s healthy.

Perfectly acceptable.
I used dried bananas, papayas and pineapple because they were magically accessible in my local grocery store. You can use whatever ingredients you would like!

island coconut lime chocolate bark I howsweeteats.com

Island Coconut Lime Chocolate Bark

16 ounces high-quality white chocolate (Lindt, Godiva, Ghiradelli, etc)

1/4 cup toasted coconut

1/4 cup salted cashews, chopped

1/4 cup dried pineapple, chopped

1/4 cup dried papaya, chopped

1/4 cup banana chips, chopped

1 tablespoon lime zest

Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or microwave (in about 30 second intervals to prevent burning). Set aside and let cool for about 1-2 minutes. Lay parchment paper on a baking sheet. Mix half of all of the ingredients into the chocolate, and pour on the parchment paper. Quickly top with remaining fruit, nuts and coconut, then place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes. When ready to serve, break apart with hands.

Store in the refrigerator.

island coconut lime chocolate bark I howsweeteats.com

Friends… bark is not just for the holidays anymore.
Moving right along.

As I waxed poetic about the cake batter bark, many of you mentioned adding crushed cookies and Oreos to the chocolate. Don’t mind if I do.

But since I found plain chocolate with only crushed Oreos to be a bit boring, I decided to make quadruple layer cookies and cream bark. Take a deep breath.
Layer one:

Layer three:

I’m having a major issue with this bark. I cannot stay away from it. It is currently in the freezer and I’ve almost broken three teeth in a desperate attempt for a taste. The chocolate is smooth and the cookies are crunchy.
And my pants are tight.

4 layer cookies and cream chocolate bark I howsweeteats.com

Four Layer Cookies ‘n Cream Chocolate Bark

26 ounces high-quality milk or dark chocolate

26 ounces high-quality white chocolate

10 Oreos, crushed

The recipe will take about 60 minutes total, but much of it is down time. Crush the Oreos and set aside. Lay parchment paper on a large baking sheet.

Melt 14 ounces of dark chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Pour on parchment paper and spread, sprinkle with crushed cookies, and set in the freezer for 15 minutes. Within the 15 minutes, melt 14 ounces of the white chocolate. Pour on top of dark chocolate and cookies – it will most likely NOT spread evenly because of the cookies, but move quickly and use a spatula to spread it out. Don’t stress if it isn’t perfect because that is what makes the bark look “cool” when it is a finished product. Sprinkle with more cookies and set in the freezer for 15 minutes.

Repeat this method with the dark chocolate layer again, and then the white chocolate layer, sprinkling cookies on each time and refrigerating.  It may look messy at first, but the final product is fun!

Store in the refrigerator.

4 layer cookies and cream chocolate bark I howsweeteats.com

And this week, we must eat bark for dinner since I spent all of our money on expensive chocolate. Who’s complaining?

135 Responses to “A Tale of Two [more] Barks.”

Katie — December 20, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

Dude, you’re killing me here. But in a good way.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

Better than in a bad way! ;)

Shanna, like Banana — December 20, 2010 @ 4:24 pm

I made your cake batter bark last weekend and used Vanilla Bean White Chocolate..omg..sooooo good!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

That is actually what I used for the cookies and cream bark. TO DIE FOR!

Kayla — December 20, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

You’re really killing me here! Looks amazing!!

Kristy — December 20, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

My pants are already a bit snug….I’m afraid I’ll be bursting out of them if I make these barks, especially the cookies n creme one.

Lauren — December 20, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Ok, you need to start selling these amazing creations of yours! So many delicious bark recipes to try… so little time ;).

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:35 pm

I prefer to give them away for free! :)

Amanda — December 20, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

You rock. Would never have thought of these… even though I do like to think about chocolate quite a bit. :)

Chicago Cuisine Critique — December 20, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

Yum that cookies and cream bark looks amazing!

Blond Duck — December 20, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

I’d love to see a peanut butter and jelly bark….hint hint…

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:34 pm

Hmmm… the wheels are turning.

Jess — December 20, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

Those two combos look DELICIOUS. Now I’m hungry :D

Paige @ Running Around Normal — December 20, 2010 @ 7:54 pm

Hey keep on barking it up! I still need to try your cake batter bars though.

Oh!! I have an idea. Expect a linkback sometime this week ;) lol

• Jessica — December 20th, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Sweet! Can’t wait to see. :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) — December 20, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

DROOL!!!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — December 20, 2010 @ 9:13 pm

Oh my word, I’m once again in heaven! I swear I want to be your personal taste tester. Everything you make looks amazing! Not to mention the photos are just stunning. The Island Coconut Lime Bark is so creative, pure genius. And I have an Oreo obsession so I’m just drooling over how insanely delicious it looks. :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — December 20, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

I’m not a fan of nuts or fruits in my chocolate either but the island bark looks enticing!

EatLiveRun — December 20, 2010 @ 10:22 pm

For some sad reason, I’ve never had chocolate bark. That might have to change…very soon.

• Jessica — December 21st, 2010 @ 2:35 am

The cake batter bark was my first bark venture. I’m never lookin’ back!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) — December 20, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

Oh dear. I don’t think it would be safe for me to have some of that oreo bark in the house.

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — December 20, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

These barks look great! After I made my first peppermint bark, I realized it was so easy & can’t wait to try different combos!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — December 21, 2010 @ 12:52 am

Both of those look amazing!

Deanna (PRetty in Pittsburgh) — December 21, 2010 @ 1:37 am

Oh yeah!! After my failed cake batter bark attempt and an entire tupperware full of actual unused cake batter (minus me eating 6 tablespoons) in my freezer, I am going to have to try, try again. God Bless Bark!

Jess@atasteofconfidence — December 21, 2010 @ 2:16 am

I might just have to remake the bark with oreos in it!

Kathy — December 21, 2010 @ 2:33 am

Do you know, I’ve never made bark in my life. But I think that’s going to have to change. I don’t have oreos, but I do have white and dark chocolate, and some candy canes that aren’t going to get eaten anyway. Looks like a chance to try something new tonight!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2010 @ 2:34 am

2 weeks ago was my first attempt – I’m hooked!

Robyn | Add a Pinch — December 21, 2010 @ 3:43 am

Oh my, and now I can’t stop thinking about bark combinations either.

shamanaccountforsale — December 21, 2010 @ 3:54 am

WoW ! I never thought of chocolate this way! This is so genious! I’ve bookmarked this already thanks for the post!

krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com — December 21, 2010 @ 4:22 am

im a sucker for anything oreos-related. very unique renditions of bark! in fact, your island coconut bark looks almost like a pizza!

Michelle — December 21, 2010 @ 5:01 am

Why does everything you make have to look so delicious?! I’m going to lay out my fat pants for tomorrow…

Crustabakes — December 21, 2010 @ 6:56 am

I am definitely barking up on the right tree by coming here and discovering these! I love them!

Tracy — December 21, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I like to make white chocolate bark with pistachios and dried cranberries. Looks very festive for this time of year and the flavors just work well together

Alexis — December 21, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

Hi! This looks amazing, just wondering for the oreo bark, do you use chocolate chips or baking chocolate?

• Jessica — December 21st, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

I actually used Lindt and Sarris chocolate – I would not use chocolate chips unless they are high-quality like Ghiradelli.

• Alexis — December 21st, 2010 @ 7:36 pm

Oooh okay thanks.:)

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — December 21, 2010 @ 11:04 pm

Cookies. and. cream. Oh. em. GEEEEEEEEEE

Adopt me? :mrgreen:

Carly — December 22, 2010 @ 11:34 am

I both love you and hate you right now… I made the oreo bark last night after some “piece of mind” action. If you can only guess how I expect my pants to feel today. I was too impatient to wait on the layers and ended up with a slight swirl that looks really cool, and tastes even better! I managed to send half to work with my husband, but I couldn’t part with the other half. Thanks for posting!

shelly (cookies and cups) — December 22, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

Making cake batter bark today and now I have to go make this too? My thighs curse you :)

Emily — December 27, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

I made the Island Bark with the coconut Lindt to bring to family for Christmas Eve and all I can say is OMG!!!!! It was truly the best bark I have ever had and the family agreed. Thank you for the wonderful recipe.

I always look forward to receiving your blog in my e-mail, not only do you have wonderfully decadent recipes, but your writing and willingness to share your life with the world always makes me smile.

Happy Holidays!

Kaylie — February 21, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

I am making a cooking/baking bucket list and I was going through your blog, which I love and follow regularly, and my list has increased DRAMATICALLY after just a few pages.

I love your baked goods.
    Really.
    They look so delicious and I cannot wait to try a ton of them.

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

Thanks!!

Lynette — April 30, 2011 @ 10:17 pm

I’m not sure where you’ve been for the last 10yrs for me, but one day I stumbled onto one of your recipes…..OH MY GOODNESS, I can’t get enough of your goodies!! I made the cake batter bark for my DH who is NOT a chocolate lover by any means. I mailed him the whole recipe, I kept only a tiny bit. He ate it ALL in one day!! I am dying to make these two as well, I am sure they will be just as delish! Thank you so much for your love of good food. You have helped make me a hero around here : )

Kristine Western — September 9, 2011 @ 11:13 am

Hey girl! I am starting a small business in Michigan specializing in wedding/party candy buffets and favors. I am always looking for ways to offer customers better deals, and I have found that making some of the products myself is an awesome way. I can’t WAIT to try these, thank you so much! If you have any more, please keep them coming. I do love my sweets :)

choongbeom — November 30, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

looks great
    I will try it~~!!

idiosyncratic eye — May 10, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Husband has just spotted the coconut white chocolate and wants to know why we don’t have that locally! Very tempting treats. :)

Carolyn — September 4, 2012 @ 11:39 am

Wow these look amazing! What is the shelf life of the bark?thanks

Sara — November 24, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Do you prefer dark or mill chocolate for the Oreo bark?

• Jessica — November 24th, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

I like milk, but that’s just because I don’t really love dark chocolate!

JujyFruits — April 23, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

I can’t believe I’m the first to say this: You are BARKING MAD!!!! I kid. I’m mad for Bark myself, so hardly in a position to throw stones… thank you for sharing your recipes!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Four Layer Cookies 'n Cream Chocolate Bark and Island Coconut Lime Chocolate Bark | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Getting Prepared « The Jogging Concierge

3. Pingback: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas | kissmybroccoli

4. Pingback: Christmas Cookies!!! « So I Married a Chef

5. Pingback: Previously Unreleased…. the BEST Chocolate Chip Cookies :) « So I Married a Chef

6. Pingback: Cookies And Cream – Recipes Using Oreos – Bites From Other Blogs