In case you’re wondering, I’m still in a cinnamon roll coma.

I decided it was time for something else for breakfast. Or snack time. Or if you’re anything like me, lunch and dinner.

I have issues.

Most normal people would eat broccoli or something. Or maybe eggs? No thanks. I’ll make some muffins.

Who doesn’t love creamsicles? And muffins? And cream? And heavy cream?

I do. I love anything and everything described “creamsicle.” Especially those Push-Ups I used to eat when I was on summer break. Those were the best. Remember them? Why did I ever stop eating them?

The only thing to make a delicious “healthier” muffin taste better is to add a sugary, creamy glaze on top.

Creamsicle muffins topped with creamsicle glaze?

Don’t mind if I do.

Whole Wheat Creamsicle Muffins

makes 12 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 cup vanilla greek yogurt

1/3 cup milk + 2 tablespoons

3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 tablespoons orange zest

contents of one vanilla bean

raw course sugar for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins.

Mix sugar, yogurt and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add vanilla beans and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Add milk and orange juice. Fold in orange zest. Stir until completely smooth. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins. Top with course sugar.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick poked in center of muffin comes out clean. Top with glaze.

Creamsicle Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice

1 teaspoon orange zest

Mix all ingredients in a bowl until glaze forms. If needed, add more liquid until the desired consistency is reached. Drizzle over warm muffins.

I’m also giving you permission to eat the glaze with a spoon. I know you want to.

81 Responses to “Creamsicle Muffins.”

Charles — December 31, 2010 @ 10:00 am

*drool*
    These look awesome, great photos too. I’d probably add more heavy cream to the glaze, but that’s only because I’m addicted to all things unhealthy :D

Ellen@FirednFabulous — December 31, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Oh my word, these look HEAVENLY!!!

megan — December 31, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Oh I’m so glad these are made with whole wheat. That makes them diet food, right?

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 31, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

Oh yes, I would definitely love these! I love the orange pushpops and still get one sometimes when we are out on the lake during the summer.
    These look really really delicious!
    Thanks for sharing :)

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com — January 2, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

beautiful and yummy!!!!

Dee Dee — January 2, 2011 @ 8:27 pm

Yum…can’t wait to make and taste these!!

Lola — January 3, 2011 @ 12:49 am

OMG, these look absolutely delicious! I think I may have to try these out.

Heather — January 3, 2011 @ 2:42 am

Oh my goodness! My great granny used to always keep creamsicles in her deep freeze for all of us kids! Gosh, I probably haven’t had one in at least 10 years! Your muffins are seriously making me drool right now!

reluctant veggie — January 4, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

at least you used whole wheat flour. makes it okay to eat the icing straight off the spoon.

HollyL — January 5, 2011 @ 5:42 pm

Creamsicles remind me of being a kid : ( Miss those days! These look so good! You are a genious I tell you! Genious!!

Decaf Debi — January 5, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Hi, Jessica. I saw these on PW’s site this morning and decided to make them today. But I’m having a problem. I used the ingredient amounts from Tasty Kitchen and the dough turned out like…well, like dough. Bread dough. Not a muffin/cake batter. They didn’t bake up like muffins, either.

I noticed the blog link and thought I’d check here. The amounts for the OJ and yogurt are lower at TK, 1/3 cup each rather than the 1/2 cup listed here. Do you think that would be the problem?

If it is, I’ll grab more ingredients to whip up two more batches this afternoon. If you can think of anything else I might have done wrong to end up with dough, please help. I haven’t baked in a while and am a bit out of practice.

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

Debi! So sorry this didn’t work out for you. I just mixed up some batter and I did increase some measurements – the orange juice to 3/4c and and extra 2 tablespoons of milk. I will go change the recipe on TK right now.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may be using expired ingredients? Other than that, hopefully they will work next time around! I apologize for the mixup.

yeni — January 5, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

This looks yummy! Is the vanilla bean critical, I mean, will it change the flavor if I omit it? I have everything to make these, EXCEPT the vanilla bean. thanks!

• Jessica — January 5th, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Nope, you can make them without! It may be a little less vanilla-y, but still taste good.

Gina @ Skinnytaste — January 10, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

I have some blood oranges, I might have to try this!!

Deree — November 19, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

I made these this week with the updated amounts (orange juice to 3/4c and and extra 2 tablespoons of milk) and used 1/2 all-purpose flour and 1/2 whole wheat. They tasted delicious but the texture was a bit gummy. Any suggestions on why? I really want to figure it and make these all the time because they were delicious!!!!

Katie @ OhShineOn — April 7, 2012 @ 11:42 am

I just made these this morning using regular vanilla yogurt and vanilla soy milk. They are SO GOOD holy crap!!! You did it again, Jess!

Carin — July 23, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

Because the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very soon it
    will be renowned, due to its quality contents.

Elise — February 16, 2014 @ 8:22 pm

I made these tonight! They were excellent!! I am following weight watchers. These muffuns are only 4 points plus. They are going to become a regular at our home. Thanks for the great recipe.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Creamsicle Muffins with Creamsicle Glaze: {ohhhhh, these do look good} -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream [Vegan] « Healthy Food For Living