Clearly, it was a cheesy kind of weekend in the How Sweet house.

Even down to the part where Mr. How Sweet cut the sleeves off three Dale Earnhardt t-shirts.

It really happened.

And then he ate all my cheese straws. He was batting 1000.

This recipe was a first for me. I had never made cheese straws before, but boy am I glad I did. And honestly – you can’t even tell that these use whole wheat flour. They taste like Cheez-It’s in stick form!

Not only are they super delicious, but they are simple too. I ended up using a wire rack for mine, which resulted in a fancy pants cheese straw.

It happened by accident.

But it totally worked! Just remember to spray your rack with non-stick spray. If not, you will have a giant mess on your hands.

Which isn’t so bad, especially since said giant mess will most likely end up in your belly.

As a warning, there will be lots of breakage and crumbling pieces. But that’s the fun part about it. Lots of crumbs and rejects to eat. And since they are all little pieces they don’t really count or add up. They are calorieless.

Who knew cheese straws could be so easy? Go make some for lunch.

Easy Whole Wheat Cheese Straws

from Gourmet (with a few of my own modifications)

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 1/4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

3/4 stick cold butter, cut into chunks

1/4 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine flour, cheese, salt and paprika into the food processor and pulse until mixer. Add cold butter and pulse until butter is in course crumbs. Stream in milk with processor running so dough comes together to form a ball.

Remove from food processor and lay on a floured surface. Flour a rolling pin and roll dough out until it is about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. It doesn’t have to be perfect and this depends on how thick you want the straws. Using a pizza cutter, cut straight strips of dough. Spray a baking sheet or wire rack with non-stick spray and lay dough on top. The strips of dough may rip, but just pinch them back together (you can see this in a photo above).

Bake for 12-15 minutes. Let cool completely before moving from the sheet/rack. Some pieces will stay intact and others will break – just add them all to a bowl.

I’ll keep you posted on the state of Mr. How Sweet and his sleeves. Maybe I’ll even share some photos. It’s delightful.

102 Responses to “Easy Whole Wheat Cheese Straws.”

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 14, 2010 @ 11:59 am

Those are awesome – the Husband would love these. If you’re wondering why I always say “the husband” and not ME, it’s because I can’t eat them. Boooo – however, I can be inspired to make a gluten free/vegan version! Wahoo!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 14, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

These look so cute! I love the crumb rejects! Rejects don’t count ;)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 14, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

CHEESE! <3

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — December 14, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

I want to make those! Those look so good and with out all of the preservatives in cheese it’s, so clearly you can eat even more!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

Excellent point. :)

Matt — December 14, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

I LOVE cheez its!

Hannah L. @ Hannah Lives — December 14, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

I laugh out loud every time Mr. How Sweet is mentioned. I love your stories of him. He is ridiculous, and endearing. And you are so tolerant, and easy-going! haha! He is lucky he found someone so wonderful, and talented (I need a cheese straw, at 6 a.m.) to put up with his antics!!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Hahaha… thanks! He puts up with a lot from me too. ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 14, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

So cute!! We have family friends who give us homemade cheese straws EVERY Christmas, and they are so good!

Chrissy — December 14, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Oh man. I gotta make these things. Can you use plain flour?

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Yep, you can use all-purpose!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — December 14, 2010 @ 12:35 pm

Oh goodness we adore cheese straws. Seriously there are jars of them all over the house around the holidays…we must try these!

Jen — December 14, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

I might just have to give these another try! I made batch a while back and it was a fiasco! They were dry, too spicy, and I broke my cookie press trying to make wafers with the dough! Ugh! This looks much easier and tastier!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — December 14, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

I love how they accidentally got a ribbon like. So cool! I hide whole wheat flour in everything – some people are just scared by the word whole wheat flour, but really so much of the time you can’t even tell the different.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — December 14, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

My friend Chelsea recently posted a similiar recipe and I thought that ws impressive- I love your wiggly ones!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 14, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

These look awesomeeeeee. Cheez-Its are one of my favorite snack foods. Love that these have WW flour!

Jenn | the kitchen dish — December 14, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

Another day and another wonderful recipe! How fif you know I loved cheese so much! I love the effect from the wire racks. I think it gives the effect of crinkle cut french fries. So cute!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 14, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

crumbs are definitely calorieless, and besides, these are whole wheat

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 14, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

these look too easy and too good to be true!

I should make these and impress the fam!

Heather — December 14, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

one could even argue that the smaller pieces are NEGATIVE calories…just think about it… ;)

the blissful baker — December 14, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

i love telling myself the little pieces dont count :)
    these look fantastic! so cute too!

Erica — December 14, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

What a fun treat. I love how they crinkled. I want to make these! I feel more confident since my cracker experiment

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

I think making crackers gave me more courage to do these too.

Healthy chocoholic — December 14, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

Yum! The fact that they are whole wheat makes it ok to eat a whole batch, right? =D

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Of course.

Katrina — December 14, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

These look so good! Great recipe :)

Paige (running around normal) — December 14, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Whoa! These look super fun and tasty! I guess you can find a recipe for anything, eh? haha
    Def going on my to-make list!

Nicole, RD — December 14, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

What a clever way to crickle the straws! They look goooood!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 14, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

DELICIOUS on top of a salad or by themselves!i love that crinkle effect! you would never know that it was an accident!

Cheryl — December 14, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

I have never heard of such things, but anything like a Cheez It is okay with me!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

I had only heard of them recently too!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 14, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Those look great. I’ve had a craving for Cheez-Its lately.

I fully expect a sleeve update!

Pixie — December 14, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

I think the broken bits would look great on a salad. I love how they look in the jar, the waviness of them make them look almost like fries.

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

Didn’t think of that! They do!

Lauren — December 14, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

What a serendipitous discovery to create “crinkle”-cut cheese straws! They look fantastic.

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

Thanks!

marla {family fresh cooking} — December 14, 2010 @ 2:17 pm

These cheese straws look amazing – I love the shape you created too. Must give ‘em a whirl! XO

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 14, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

Those are so cute, especially with the little crinkles in them!! And I totally agree on the bit about the rejects :) Have a great day Jess!

Rebecca — December 14, 2010 @ 2:30 pm

Our food processor is tiny (mini-Cuisinart). Any way to make these without a processor? I’d love to have a cheesy snack to cut the sweetness of all our holiday baking!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 2:33 pm

You could try a blender, or even just mixing the dough in a bowl and cutting in the butter with 2 knives.

Kate @ahealthypassion — December 14, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

How cute I love the little crinkles!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — December 14, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Oh these look incredible! They look profesional..those crinkles look like they’d be so difficult to do when looking at the finished product but they came from such an easy concept. How cool! I’ve never had these before, I’ll have to give them a try!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Yes – so simple and just an accident. You must try!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) — December 14, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

These look so yummy and cute! Great Idea :)

Rebecca - Thru Thin and Thick — December 14, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

Trader Joe’s sells these Cheddar Cheesesticks, although I think phyllo dough is used as well, but heck these are simple enough to make if you have flour and shredded cheese in your pantry and seriously who doesnt?!

Speaking of phyllo dough.. I want to make a late night snack Christmas Eve involving phyllo dough and cheese and meat… like instead of an apple turnover a cheesy/meaty log. Thoughts? Recipes?

Kristina @ spabettie — December 14, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

I LOVE the fancy-pants wiggles. :D

Shanna, like Banana — December 14, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

Yum! When you said straw I was expecting you’d be able to suck out of it..haha

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 14, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

calorie-less eh? hehe

I have to bookmark this — such a fun little snack! and considering i have a whole grain goldfish obsession — these are PERFECT! <3

xoXOxo

Amy @ Serve At Once — December 14, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Perfect snack food. Yum!

And Jessica, there’s gotta be a story behind cutting off Dale Earnhardt t-shirt sleeves… ;)

Kacy — December 14, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

That’s so cool! I love the squigglyness. Yes, squigglyness.

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

I love the squigglyness too. And the word squigglyness.

Moni'sMeals — December 14, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

this is a great recipe! I would love these, yum!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — December 14, 2010 @ 4:11 pm

Ok, holy yum!! Adding this to my Christmas Day meal list!!!

Julie @SavvyEats — December 14, 2010 @ 4:12 pm

Using the wire rack was a VERY happy accident– they look so fun in all their waviness!

Linda — December 14, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

When you’ll end up to amaze me?!?!? For sure I will try these cheese straws!

Kelly — December 14, 2010 @ 4:39 pm

You had me at Cheez Its on a stick..must make these now! Actually I am hosting Christmas Eve at my house this year and I was trying to think of things to have out to much on besides standards like nuts and preztels…this is perfect and very timely. Thanks girl!

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Make these!

Window On The Prairie — December 14, 2010 @ 4:41 pm

Kinda reminds me of making homemade noodles, only you bake them instead of boiling. Neato.
    Suzanne

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Hehe – yes!

Emily (The Culinary Couple) — December 14, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

You had me at Cheez-Its! I will be trying these soon.

Faith @ She Kneads — December 14, 2010 @ 5:32 pm

Oh how fun! I love making stuff that makes me feel like a little kid! :) I’m glad you made them squiggly! :)

Kelly — December 14, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

Yummy. I love the crinkly effect. I also admire that you tested and retested the snickerdoodle recipe. I think that’s always the challenge about putting recipes out. If they don’t work, readers will tell you right away.

I have one chocolate muffin recipe I’ve wanted to blog about forever but I know it is STILL not perfect, so I keep tinkering and tinkering. One of these days…

Megan (Braise The Roof) — December 14, 2010 @ 5:48 pm

I’m glad these can be made with regular whole wheat flour. Homegirl doesn’t have pastry flour. I’m not so much gifted with the bake. :) I love the squiggle- very fancy pants. These would be awesome with all kinds of cheese, too. Pepperjack alongside some of your chicken tortilla soup, perhaps?

• Jessica — December 14th, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

I wouldn’t use regular whole wheat flour – I think they would be too gritty. But all purpose flour is fine!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Easy Whole Wheat Cheese Straws. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: For Your New Years Party | oh so decadent