You only need three ingredients to make this fabulous snack!

And I say snack, because it is totally acceptable to make it for yourself this afternoon when your stomach starts to rumble.

You know why?

Because I said so.

It also obviously makes a great appetizer for parties. The key is to consume it as quickly as possible. Trust me… it isn’t challenging.

And it is super simple to make. All you must do is chop the ingredients and combine them like so.

Then throw the dish in the oven and let the cheese work it’s magic.

It will look like this. And then you might die. But that’s okay, because having this as your final meal totally makes sense.

It took all of my restraint to not go at the dip with just a spoon. I was so tempted.

I might have taken a little spoonful of a taste.

There really is nothing better than a spoonful of bubbly, golden cheese.

Hot Caprese Dip

serves 2-4

10 ounces fresh mozzarella, chopped into cubes

2 roma tomatoes, seeded and juiced

3 tablespoons freshly chopped basil (or about 1 tablespoon dried) + more for garnish

Preheat oven to 375.

Make sure tomatoes have as much juiced squeezed out of them as possible – this will prevent the dip from becoming soupy. In a small baking dish, combine chopped cheese, tomatoes and basil and mix. Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes so cheese becomes bubbly and golden. Serve immediately with crackers or melba toasts.

Note: dip may appear “watery” which is why it is VERY important to get as much moisture out of the tomatoes as possible. Also make sure dip is consumed immediately, as the longer it sits, the more juice that develops. Don’t worry if there is a little bit of juice – it is still delicious!

Just try to stay away.

198 Responses to “Hot Caprese Dip.”

Courtney — December 13, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Wow.. I could eat that plain. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 13, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I love this idea! I never thought to make caprese ‘hot’ :) Can’t wait to make this for my party :)

barefootgirl27 — December 13, 2010 @ 11:54 am

marry me?

please tell me you ate the whole thing…. because when I make this later today *I* will be eating the whole thing myself and would feel so much better if I knew that someone else had done the same ;)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 13, 2010 @ 11:59 am

I love cold caprese salad in the summer, but this may be my new favorite way to enjoy tomatoes and mozzarella in the winter! It’s kind-of like a caprese fondue! :-)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

It is!

Dawn — December 13, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

That looks amazing!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 13, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

So simple, so genius – you know what? My Husband should just move in with you instead. He’d be much happier.

Jenn — December 13, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Um, yes, this looks amazing. I’m guessing that it wouldn’t hold up being made in a CrockPot, huh?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

I doubt it, just because the cheese and tomatoes hold so much moisture. I think it needs to be made as quickly as possible then eaten right away.

Katrina — December 13, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

This looks very yummy. I love caprese salad, and know I’d love this dip!

Marisa @ Loser for Life — December 13, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

I would like to bathe in that. :)

kirsty — December 13, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

oh wow that looks amazingly yummy x

Alaina — December 13, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Cheeeeese :-P Man that looks so good. Spoon please!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — December 13, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

This post just made me weak behind the knees. Seriously, for someone that can’t have cheese…I would be willing to suffer and make others suffer for a taste of this!

Cherine — December 13, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

Nothing beats a cheesy gooey dip!!

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — December 13, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

oh me oh my! My Mister would simply light up at the sight of this snack!! Now if only fresh basil grew on treees in the winter….
    love,
    cathy b. @ brightbakes

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Tell me about it. It cost an arm and a leg for a few measly leaves!

Heather — December 13, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

cheese wins my heart.

Wei-Wei — December 13, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

Cheese galore! Only TWO tomatoes?

Lauren — December 13, 2010 @ 12:57 pm

This is such an inventive way to serve the classic caprese! I never thought to mix the ingredients together and heat them until the cheese melts… but what a fantastic idea :). I will definitely be making this dip!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 13, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

I want this!! I love dips! And tomatoes! I eat one tomato every day no matter what! :)

fooddreamer — December 13, 2010 @ 1:02 pm

Mmm, good stuff. I love caprese salad, so I know I would love this.

Healthy chocoholic — December 13, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Mmmmmmmmm….that looks sooo good! I’m hungry all over again!

Patti Smith — December 13, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

I could eat this for breakfast!!!!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella — December 13, 2010 @ 1:20 pm

Oh my goodness. I had a sample of vegan caprese at Whole Foods this weekend and I realized just how much I love it. This dip looks amazing!

Liz — December 13, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Again… this might belong on my family’s Christmas Eve table :)

Erica — December 13, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

You should totally start a catering company. Awesome apps & desserts!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — December 13, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Oh wow. I was scrolling down and then suddenly realized that the “hot” was temperature and not seasoning. Melty cheese=awesome. It’s ok to skip the crackers and eat it with a fork, right?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 13, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Love this!! It looks so easy to make and I don’t think it would last very long in my house – YUM!! :)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:07 pm

It doesn’t last. At all.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — December 13, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

That looks yummy! I’d eat mine with some pita chips! We love cheese!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

Ooooh I love pita chips.

dofollow — December 13, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

I am going to make this tonight!

Thank you for a quality blog and btw the pictures are great.

Ash

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — December 13, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Can I have this for breakfast? Caprese salads are one of my favorite things, but melty cheesy caprese? Holy crap girl.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

Of course!

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — December 13, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

yum! I often have tomato, basil and mozza on grilled italian bread… but have never considered it as a dip!! SMART :)

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

I live on that sandwich… love it!

Am — December 13, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Genius. Three ingredients…genius.

Susan — December 13, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

What a fabulous idea!! It’s hard to change up such a simple dish, but making the cheese all melty is genius!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss — December 13, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

I love taking any cold summer salad and “winterizing” it! It looks delicious.

Anne Marie — December 13, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

This looks so easy and delicious. Totally marked for out next get together :) I love cheese…

Mary (Sisters Running the Kitchen) — December 13, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

yumm…I love Caprese Salad and this hot dip version of it looks delectable!!!!

Katie — December 13, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

I swear, the word “genius” comes to mine 99% of the time I read your blog – this is definitely one of those times. I had a caprese pizza a few weeks ago, and before that I had never thought to MELT the cheese with the basil/tomato. This looks like heaven.

• Julie — December 14th, 2010 @ 1:03 am

I agree! :)

Jennifer — December 13, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

A fabulous idea for party dip!

Krystina (Basil & Wine) — December 13, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

So, it’s safe to say that this is my favorite savory dish that you’ve ever made! It looks so incredibly fantastic that I’m making it ASAP.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Let me know if you like it!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — December 13, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

Yum! It’s like a wintery version of caprese salad! Love it

RhodeyGirl — December 13, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

I love this!!!! Might have to add it to our Christmas Eve menu… need to run that by my dad!

Did you find that even though you “juiced” the tomatoes the dip was still a bit watery from the watery mozz?

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 3:11 pm

Only slightly, but not much. As it sat, it definitely got more watery so it is best to consume it asap. I’m thinking that a way to remedy that (if the dip won’t be consumed immediately) is to use a mixture of cream cheese and shredded pasteurized mozzarella, like Kraft.

• Dana — December 13th, 2010 @ 3:34 pm

I’ve been reading through these and the first suggestion that came to mind was cream cheese – definitely gonna try this! (and maybe drizzle some sweet balsamic reduction right before serving!!) Mmmmm that yougurt I had for breakfast just isn’t cutting it right about now!

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Balsamic is a brilliant idea! I wish I would have thought of that while I was eating it!

• Dana — December 14th, 2010 @ 8:36 pm

I just had to share – I ran across a “caprese martini” on a restaurant website today – vodka, tomato juice and muddled basil, garnished with cherry tomato and mozzarella ball and rimmed with evoo and sea salt. Hmmmmm – I’m intrigued!

• Jessica — December 15th, 2010 @ 1:54 am

Wow! That sounds wild. I don’t know if I could handle it but now I’m dying to try.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — December 13, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Yeah I wouldn’t want to share. Bubbly cheese is ultimate comfort food.

Leah @ Why Deprive? — December 13, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

Screw the crackers – I’ll eat this with a spoon!

Kate @ahealthypassion — December 13, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

What a fabulous idea! I love caprese salads in the summer but don’t eat them in the winter. Yum can’t wait to try it!

the blissful baker — December 13, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

mmm that looks incredible! i love melty cheese

Gaby — December 13, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR. This is hands down the most genius idea in the whole wide world. I am officially obsessed and need this in my life ASAP! xo

Jackie — December 13, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

This looks so good, and that is really bad :)

Blog is the New Black — December 13, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

One of my favorite combos!

Ang — December 13, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

You truly know my love language now. Heaven have mercy, I am so excited to make this. Thanks for the idea:)

Kat — December 13, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

omg I am going to make this immediately. I can’t believe how good that looks. in fact, this may be my dinner tonight.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

It deserves to be. It’s that good!

Eliana — December 13, 2010 @ 3:54 pm

You seriously come up with the best food ideas! This looks incredible.

• Jessica — December 13th, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

8. Pingback: The club can’t even handle me | eat, drink, and run

9. Pingback: 2 Months Later

10. Pingback: Pinterest Top 5 | Heather is a Lazy Wife

11. Pingback: things to brighten a rainy monday | everythingallie

12. Pingback: Cheese Please « Covet

13. Pingback: Hot Caprese Dip « Evoking You|Food Inspiration Blog

14. Pingback: Caprese Salad – Get it while it’s hot! | Life and Times of a 20-Something

15. Pingback: New Years Appetizers

16. Pingback: Hot Caprese Dip | Curiosities By Dickens

17. Pingback: » 20 Superbowl Food Possibilites Brownies and Zucchini

18. Pingback: Caprese Dip « Simple Veggie Foods

19. Pingback: Easy Caprese! Capeesh? « Letsgetbasted

20. Pingback: #8 Make one new recipe a week, pt. 5 « Project 30 in 2012

21. Pingback: Hot Caprese Dip | Totally Love It

22. Pingback: Pinterest Board Theme Thursday – Easy, Breezy, Caprese : Barefoot Market Test Blog

23. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes « A Cedar Spoon.

24. Pingback: The 12 dips of Christmas – 2012 : Murphy Sam & Jodi

25. Pingback: Top Things Tuesday… Holiday Recipe Ideas (some skinny ideas too)! « Sweet Prima Donna

26. Pingback: For Your Super Bowl Party « oh so decadent

27. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes | A Cedar Spoon

28. Pingback: New Years Finger Food Recipe’s!

29. Pingback: 25 Super Bowl Snack Recipes {Savory Edition} | Parties 365