What’s better than veggies?

Well, in my opinion… everything.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

But the real answer is veggies sauteed in bacon grease. Naturally.
Warning: this is not your run-of-the-mill spinach dip. Been there, done that.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

A few weeks ago my uncle made a spinach dip for a party and it was so good that I nearly ate the entire dish myself. That is nothing out of the norm, but this was really good. I am not quite sure what all went into it, but what I do remember is spinach, mushrooms, red peppers and bacon.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

The best part? You can eat this hot or cold. You can saute the veggies or you can just mix them into the dip. Versatile, simple and delicious.

Then you can eat an entire bag of pita chips too.

It’s strongly encouraged. Plus, it’s the holiday season. Calories are free.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

I used a bunch of crumbled gorgonzola in my dip because I’m freaky like that.

But I know that for many of you, any form of cheese in the blue gives you the heebie jeebies. No need to add the blue. Add some feta or goat or cheddar… or even none at all. Make this your dip!

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

Pop it in the oven, twiddle your thumbs, pace until it’s done, then dig in.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

Use a cracker. Or a chip. Or a spoon. Or your finger.

Or even another veggie. Did I really just say that?
I’m not really sure where I went, but I need to go find me.

Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com
Kicked-Up Spinach Dip

makes about 3 cups of dip

8 ounces (1 block) cream cheese, softened

8 ounces sour cream

4 slices bacon

1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped

1/4 red pepper, chopped

1/4 green pepper, chopped

1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

2 cloves garlic, chopped

1 bag spinach

1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (or cheese of your choice)

Preheat oven to 375.

In a large skillet, fry bacon, then set aside to drain on a paper towel, leaving grease in skillet. On medium heat, add onions and peppers with a pinch of salt and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute 5 more minutes. Add garlic and spinach, stirring until spinach wilts. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream with a hand mixer (or even just a spoon – just make sure it is combined). Fold in spinach, pepper, and mushroom mixture. Fold in blue cheese or cheese of choice. Fold in bacon.

Pour dip in an oven-safe dish and bake for 20 minutes, until top is golden brown and dip is warm. Serve with pita chips, crackers, bread and veggies.
Kicked-Up Spinach Dip I howsweeteats.com

I’m fairly certain I got 4-5 servings of veggies by eating this.

I won’t tell you how much I had to eat to get those veggies. But at least I got them. I give myself and “A” for effort.

96 Responses to “Kicked-Up Spinach Dip.”

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 23, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

this version looks incredible! i have been on a blue cheese kick lately and would definitely love it that way

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — December 23, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

If I didn’t already buy all the ingredients for my roasted veggie dip then I would definitely be making this! :-D

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Roasted veggie dip sounds delicious… even to me!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — December 23, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

My aunt makes spinach dip in a pumpernickel bread bowl every year. And every year by brother eats half by knocking all the younger cousins out of the way and blocking access to the bowl with his 6″, 220 pound frame. Spinach dip is the most addicting thing EVER.

Katrina — December 23, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

I love hot spinach dip. I love the blue cheese addition! Great idea :)

Blog is the New Black — December 23, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

I like the veggie part of this dish the best- sour cream? Ick! Polar opposites on this one. ;)

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

I don’t really like sour cream by itself at all either!

Red Deception — December 23, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

Oh. Em. Gee.

That looks amazingly delicious. *Reaches for chips*

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 23, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

Mmmm! Dairy covered veggie dip…love it!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 23, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

Oh yum. Now if only my family wasn’t picky picky and I COULD make this for Christmas…..

I think my dad’s aversion to veggies is just as strong as yours.

He’ll eat carrots. But ONLY, and ONLY if they are covered with a ginormous amount of onion dip. BUT only onion dip from Kroger’s. But he hates onions.

I give up. Luckily, my husband isn’t picky, so I’ll get to make this sometime.

• Jessica — December 23rd, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

I won’t even eat carrots. Blech. But that is funny about your dad!

Wei-Wei — December 23, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

Mmmm, baked dip always sounds amazing. I think I’d kind of overbroil this and then just scoop the cheese off the top. Then broil it again, and again, and again. Cheese. Love.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 23, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

If there’s one thing I miss, it’s cheesy spinach dip. ::shakes fist:: darn you lactose intolerance!!!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 23, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

This sounds so good! I love spinach dip but have never tried adding extra veggies like red peppers to it. Awesome idea!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — December 23, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

spinach dip is my favorite!! looks amazing!

Healthy chocoholic — December 23, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Looks wonderful!!!!! I love how cheese goes all golden after being baked! =D

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 23, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

i love spinach dip. I love love love it. I never make it anymore b/c of the cream cheese. This, WILL be changing once i get back home. I can’t wait :)

Abby — December 23, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Darn it! Too bad you didnt post this earlier or i would have taken this to today’s office party instead of my muffins!

Rich — December 23, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

You’re still there, don’t worry – it’s just that bacon awesomes things. And it also lets you verb ‘awesome.’ Not, of course, that awesome is an adjective I should use; to be more descriptive and less lazy, I would of course describe that dip as ingenius. Or inspired. Or perhaps even brilliant. Definitely tasty-looking.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — December 23, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Oh this looks awesome!! Love the addition of the bleu cheese! I’m freaky like that, too. haha

Rachel — December 23, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

You always make me laugh…. “what’s better than veggies… everything” Love it. I think my husband might really like this dip.

Ami @ beyondpeasandcarrots — December 23, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

this looks awesome!! Totally trying this over the holidays!

Nicole, RD — December 23, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I can’t wait to make this! It looks fabulous!!!

Elle — December 23, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

OoOOoooOOh! I need to make this. C’mas Eve dinner is at my sister in laws, and this would be great to take along–thanks fof sharing!

CC Recipe — December 23, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

This dip looks awesome! I am a huge fan of any kind of spin dip and I can’t wait to give this one a try:)

kari — December 23, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

love the blue cheese addition! the caprese dip is my personal favorite though, so simple!

Jess — December 23, 2010 @ 2:29 pm

I am in love with spinach dip. If you ever have a chance go to Slippery Rock, go to the North Country Brewery. They have the best spinach artichoke dip I’ve ever had in my life. When I was in school I’d get it to go on a Friday and have it for lunch and sometimes dinner all weekend. Amazing. I can’t wait to try this! Perfect colors for a holiday party too!!

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:44 am

I’d love to try that!

• Nicole — December 29th, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Jess,

I live in Slippery Rock, and I LOVE the Brewery’s Spinach Artichoke Dip and have been trying to replicate it since they opened. Brown Eyed Baker has a recipe that I think tastes almost identical to the Brewery’s!

Hope that helps!

Sonya — December 23, 2010 @ 2:39 pm

this looks and sounds amazing!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 23, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

um, nate might leave me for you with this and those cookie dough dips…those are his 2 favorite food groups!

Tracy — December 23, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

Can’t wait to give this dip a try! Maybe for New Year’s! :-)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — December 23, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

Dip that includes cheese and bacon? Yes please!!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — December 23, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

This looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — December 23, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

bahahaha! come on now =) veggies yummy. obv when you can bake like martha stewart that would be the preferred form of food… but i’m proud of you =)

xoXOxo
    jenn

Simply Life — December 23, 2010 @ 3:36 pm

Oh wow, this looks soooo good and comforting!

Alaina — December 23, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

I love spinach dip!! And I love that casserole dish. Where did you get it??

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:42 am

Kohl’s! It is Le Creuset.

Katie — December 23, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

I was just talking with my dad about spinach dip. It always looks so good and I can’t eat it and then it just makes me sad.

Not that I’m sad seeing yours. I didn’t mean that.

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:42 am

Oh man… I wish you could eat it!

EatLiveRun — December 23, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

this sounds ridiculously delicious!

Kelly — December 23, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Yum. I adore spinach dip and the bacon sounds like an amazing addition. I’m actually making creamed spinach with bacon for xmas tomorrow so clearly I love this pairing.

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:41 am

That sounds delicious!

Heather — December 23, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

My best friend and I just went out for happy hour and were really unimpressed with the spinach artichoke dip. This sounds like it would be really good. Great post!

~Heather from Snacktive

Kristina @ spabettie — December 23, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

I *WILL* be making this Saturday.

Saturday Morning.

yes, for breakfast.

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:41 am

You’re my kind of gal.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — December 23, 2010 @ 5:25 pm

That looks so amazing. I’ve never had baked dip before..such a simple concept to add so much flavor, yum!

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Oh you must have some!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 23, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

Yes!!!! I have been looking for a more unique spinach dip recipe – and this is it!!

carlee — December 23, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

that looks delicious! I love the colors of all the veggies!
    I admit veggies are not my all-time favorite! But thats weird that you loathe them so much! LOL

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:40 am

Yes, I’m weird.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl — December 23, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

Yum! Making this tonight!

Jessica — December 23, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

Your photographs are gorgeous!! Not that your foodie creations need any help…but you make them look even more delicious!

That dip sounds bomb. Especially with many, many handfuls of crackers :)

ezzie — December 23, 2010 @ 6:44 pm

YUMM!! Defiantly making this before break’s over!

Alycia [Fit n Fresh] — December 23, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

My boyfriend would love me forever if I made this for him! Maybe he’ll get lucky this Christmas… lol

Alicia — December 23, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

Can’t wait to make this!

Low — December 23, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

I love spinach dip! I think I might try to con my SIL into making this since she’s supposed to bring an app to Christmas.

Baking 'n' Books — December 24, 2010 @ 2:13 am

I don’t believe that you eat all this amazing food that you make! But I wish it were so! I love to bake, but it’s such a dangerous territory for me…living alone and eating anything that isn’t nailed down causes conflict…

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 3:17 am

We always eat everything I make – we hate to waste food!

• Baking 'n' Books — December 24th, 2010 @ 3:20 am

Ah yes! I agree :)…now if only if were a “we” living here to help me though!!! What is it you do for a living? I think you should open your own bakery – and please hire me so I can come bake all day and eat cupcakes…and maybe some spinach ;)

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 3:21 am

I’d love to. :)

Heather — December 24, 2010 @ 2:46 am

I just had dinner. I’m not even hungry. Why am I drooling?!?!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon — December 24, 2010 @ 4:54 am

“calories are free” – gold.

Ashley — December 24, 2010 @ 6:25 am

Ummm, helllloooo fabulously lit photos!!! Exceptional! Also, this recipe = major deliciousness.

• Jessica — December 24th, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

Thank you love. :)

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Kicked-Up Spinach Dip | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: 55 Recipes for New Year's Eve | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes « A Cedar Spoon.

4. Pingback: First Friday Favorites of October « A Tasty Life

5. Pingback: Creamy Spinach Dip with Bacon and Mushrooms | The Dough Will Rise Again

6. Pingback: 35 Game-Day Recipes | A Cedar Spoon

7. Pingback: warm spinach and mushroom dip | peanut butteredpeanut buttered

8. Pingback: Football Sunday Recipe Challenge | The Domestic Blonde

9. Pingback: Every Super Bowl Party Recipe You'll Ever Need - What Dress Code?

10. Pingback: creamy bacon veggie dip |