Chocolate french silk pie usually contains raw eggs. And lots and lots of chocolate. And mounds of whipped cream. Mmmm. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Except that whole raw egg thing.

Don’t fear. I’m not sharing pancakes and raw eggs with you today… instead I’m sharing pancakes that taste like french silk pie.

And I owe it all to this little can. Oh, and that cocoa above.

I adore coconut milk. You should too. It’s creamy and delicious.

And if you don’t like coconut? You can’t even taste it in these pancakes. I promise.

Unless you’re some kind of super coconut-tasting sleuth.

Not only are these pancakes simple and quick, they are pretty healthy too.

I topped mine with plain ole’ syrup, but trust me – I wanted to top them with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, vanilla cream glaze, and chocolate chips.

All at once.

Oh, and I gave the pancakes a little sprinkling of cocoa powder.

There is no such thing as too much chocolate.

Creamy and fluffy.

What more could you want from a pancake?

Chocolate French Silk Pancakes

serves 3-4 (about 12 pancakes)

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 heaping teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, well beaten

2 cups lite coconut milk + more if needed to smooth out batter

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Stir together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add eggs, milk and vanilla. Stir until dry ingredients are combined and batter is smooth. Preheat a skillet on medium heat. Drop 1/4 cup of batter on skillet and cook until bubbles form. Flip and cook until lightly browned.

As you can tell, I really hated these. I won’t be making them for a very long time. Like maybe… Friday?

151 Responses to “Chocolate French Silk Pancakes.”

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 11, 2011 @ 11:02 am

I am all for chocolate pancakes! I wonder if you could use almond milk or something else instead of the coconut milk.

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Oh yes, you definitely can. They may not be quite as creamy though. Unless you want to use whole milk or heavy cream of course. :)

Brooke — January 11, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I keep starring recipes in my google reader… I think I’ll have to skip the star and just make these for dinner tonight.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — January 11, 2011 @ 11:15 am

Genius! We adore anything coconut. And chocolate. Duh. We want a tall stack for breakfast!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 11, 2011 @ 11:29 am

These look so decadent! I bet some coconut ice cream on top would be amazing!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — January 11, 2011 @ 11:56 am

Whoa…those would probably be the best breakfast ever. ;-)

Blog is the New Black — January 11, 2011 @ 11:57 am

Pancakes are something I SO enjoy, but never make… gonna be a’changin’!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 11, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

So, I’m expecting you to be in my kitchen tomorrow morning making me these. Thanks!

Hannah — January 11, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

What more could I want from a pancake? I want it to be here. In bed with me at 11:08pm, Canberra-time. That’s what I want.

Life is cruel.

Katrina — January 11, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

These pancakes look like the best pancakes ever!! I love chocolate silk pie, and can’t wait to try these!

Steph@stephsbitebybite — January 11, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

These are pancakes after my own heart! These sound so good!! Where do u come up with all these yummies? I wanna be like you when I grow up :)

Becca H. — January 11, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Recipes as awesome looking as this one make it SUCH a bummer that I’m allergic to coconut :-(

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

I guess you’ll just have to use heavy cream then. ;)

Kim in MD — January 11, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

I would like these for breakfast, please! YUM!

Heather — January 11, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

oh these sound too terrible for words…that’s why i’m going to have to make a special trip to the store for coconut milk today. you know, test tasting, quality control ;)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — January 11, 2011 @ 12:45 pm

Yummm!! I don’t like coconut at all, but I usually don’t mind coconut milk or oil, so I’m sure it wouldn’t bother me in these. I can’t wait to have a breakfast or brunch so I can make these!

Erica — January 11, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

gahhhh these look so good! Josh and I are huge pancake fans. In fact, we’re doing brinner again on Thursday- may need to make up some chocolaty pancakes for the occasion. Beautiful work (as always)

Casper — January 11, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

These look very tasty! Might have to give them a try even though I am one of those people that is not a fan of anything coconut! However, I love breakfast food enough to give it a whirl!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life — January 11, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

Awww man! I totally woke up craving pancakes this morning and definitely don’t have time to make them. This just made my cravings skyrocket! Although, maybe tomorrow I’ll be able to if we get a snow day!! :)

Matt — January 11, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

BE STILL MY BEATING HEART.

I will be right over ;)

Cara — January 11, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I love adding coconut milk to my pancakes!
    I also chop in some fresh pineapple and
    shredded coconut; it’s perfection.

I must remember to add the chocolatey flair next time.

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

That sounds amazing.

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — January 11, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

Woah. Delicious. I love coconut milk too, especially in savory dishes like soups and curries. I’ve never used it in sweet recipes — but now you have me thinking about using coconut milk in baked goods! Should we try?!

And yes — I am a coconut hater and LOVE coconut milk. It doesn’t taste like coconut — it’s just creamy and sweet.

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 1:31 pm

I’ve never used it in savory recipes… I know I need to get on that!

• Kelly — January 11th, 2011 @ 6:13 pm

Really? I LOVE It in asian inspirted soups and peanuty dip type things.

Amanda — January 11, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

How fun are these??? Well done girl!!

Cathy B. @ Bright Bakes — January 11, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

gorgeous! and, I assume, very very yummy!
    love,
    cathy b.

shannon — January 11, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Those look out of this world!!!! I want them NOW.

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — January 11, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

Wowww- these look absolutely amazing.

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — January 11, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

What a great recipe! They look so fluffy. Yum.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 11, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Mmmmm…I used to have a roommate who would make French Silk Pie when she was bored. I’d come home from class and there would be all of this extra chocolate french silk in the refrigerator…it’s no wonder I gained weight in grad school!! :-)

These look just as delicious!!

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Umm… best roommate ever?

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl — January 11, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. These look amazing. And the fact that you can’t taste the coconut milk makes me want to try this even more! I’m not a huge coconut fan! We may be having these for breakfast this weekend!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — January 11, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

This one is pure genius. I remember getting French Silk Pie at Bob Evans with my grandparents when I was really little :) Considering I eat pancakes every Saturday morning now, and I have an obsession with adding as many new and unique ingredients as I can, these guys will definitely be on the to-make list soon! I could see myself sprinkling some toasted slivered almonds on top~

• Jessica — January 11th, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

Toasted almonds? Drool.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — January 11, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

I just saved this recipe. My kids are pancake fanatics! They would LOVE these! Thanks!

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — January 11, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

I agree that there is no such thing as too much chocolate. Especially at breakfast.

Baking 'n' Books — January 11, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Must. Make. Pancakes.

I’ve actually been loving waffles lately…store-bought though! – don’t shoot me! – they are Mesa Sunrise and actually have relatively healthy ingredients…? ;)

brandi — January 11, 2011 @ 1:49 pm

ooh, great idea to use the coconut milk! I love cocoa + coconut together. Yum. I think we need to have a breakfast party together sometime.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 11, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

OMG I also am loving coconut milk! I just got sent a HUGE jar of coconut oil and need some recipes to make with it! i was thinking of coconut granola? anything else you have in mind send it my way!!! You should see this thing of coconut oil, seriously is bigger than my head!

• Jessica — January 12th, 2011 @ 3:21 am

Is it from Tropical Traditions? Those things are giant!

jen @ taste life — January 11, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

OMG those look so decadent! I want! Mmmm…creamy.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 11, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

But Friday is so far away!! ;)

Tracy — January 11, 2011 @ 2:02 pm

Mmm, chocolate and coconut. I’m so jealous of your Trader Joe’s!

Happy When Not Hungry — January 11, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Wow these pancakes look amazing! I love coconut milk too, but would’ve never thought to use it in pancake batter. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 11, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Ohhh myy goodness. I had a delicious bowl of oatmeal already this morning, but now I want a HUGE stack of these. These look like the most heavenly pancakes ever! Maybe for lunch? :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 11, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

Fluffy and creamy = perfection!

Mrs. Jen B — January 11, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I fully intend to make these if I manage a snow day tomorrow!

marla {family fresh cooking} — January 11, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I adore coconut milk in pancakes! Well done & the perfect breakfast or snack. xo

Maria — January 11, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Chocolate for breakfast, yes please!

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 11, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Um in honor of a snow day, I’m making pancakes.

Or at least, I thought they were pancakes.

Then I looked at yours. Yours are like the elegant grown up pancakes.

Mine are like toddlers.

So delicious!

Corey @ the runner's cookie — January 11, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

These look amazing – I want them now!! Boston should be getting a major snow storm tomorrow…these would be a perfect snow day breakfast :)

Alaina — January 11, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

Yeah, those do look awful ;-)

Another pancake recipe for the books!

Jess — January 11, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Holy pancake HEAVEN!! :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — January 11, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Ummm . . . Yum!!! I can’t believe I’ve never had chocolate pancakes before. I’m a little disappointed in myself. This is an awesome idea.

The Menu Mama — January 11, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

Oh yum, this totally kicks chocolate chip pancakes’ butt, I must try them!!!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — January 11, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I can’t believe I’ve never had french silk pie. Using coconut milk in pancakes is genius. Yummmm

• Jessica — January 12th, 2011 @ 3:20 am

You NEED to have some.

Alexis @ There She Goes — January 11, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

I’m not really a pancake kind of girl, but these look AMAZING

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Chocolate French Silk Pancakes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Dataplace Accommodation :: travel