I’ve been in the midst of a torrid love affair this winter. And if you haven’t noticed, the subject of my devotion begins with “s” and ends with “oup.”

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

[Look at that big hunk of burning love up there.]
Truth be told, I’ve fallen deeply in love with creating soup recipes. Dare I say I’ve been enjoying making soup more than cookies? It’s sort of true. But we all know I’m dramatic. And I change my mind more often than my socks. Really.

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

If you’ve been reading closely, you couldn’t miss it. Chicken Chickpea Soup and Easy One Pot Tortilla Soup made it on the list for the top viewed dinner recipes of 2010, and they are now two of my favorite recipes – I’ve already made both of them three times.

That says a lot for someone who hates to make the same recipe twice.
And this soup isn’t far behind.

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

It should go without saying that I love brie. We have enough cheese in our fridge to feed a small country, which may be a sin… but surely a delicious one.
And it has been well over a year since I made a creamy, cheesy soup. In my opinion that is way too long.

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

No, I didn’t forget the bacon. Honestly, I didn’t have any on hand. I know. I cried too.

But I was wary of how the bacon grease would mix with the cheese and stock. Bacon would definitely make a great garnish on top, but as for the soup, you can get more than your daily allowance of saturated fat just from the cheese.
If you’re a vegetarian? Skip the chicken. We all know I had to throw the chicken in there so Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t run amuck. This makes a delicious, cheesy soup – even without the chicken.

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

I’ve done my fair share of slurping this winter. I also have spilled more soup on my kitchen floor (and beige carpet) than humanely possible.

Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

2 tablespoons flour

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

2 cups milk

1/2 cup half and half

8 ounces brie cheese, torn/chopped into small pieces

Heat a large pot on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions and peppers with a sprinkle of salt and saute until soft, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in spinach and garlic. Add butter, and once it melts whisk in flour to create a roux. Make sure you whisk all ingredients together.

Add chicken to the pot, along with milk and chicken stock. Allow soup to come to a simmer, then add brie and continue stirring until it all melts – about 5 minutes. Stir in half and half. Turn heat up high and let soup come to a boil, stirring every few minutes so cheese does not stick to the bottom. At this point, you may see some separate of stock/milk, but with a few stirs and time to simmer, the soup will come together.

Once soup boils, turn it down to a simmer and allow to cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve hot!
Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup I howsweeteats.com

Now who’s coming to scrub my kitchen floors?

122 Responses to “Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup”

Kacy — January 19, 2011 @ 6:03 pm

Creamy soups are my fave! I have never had a soup with brie, but can only imagine that it is to die for. Mmm.

Salah@myhealthiestlife — January 19, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

1. I love brie
    2. I love veggies
    never thought of comibing the two into a soup!!!

Blond Duck — January 19, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Your chicken chickpea soup is on my list. I made a white chili last night Ben was in love with!

Elle — January 19, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Brie in soup? A stroke of genius! I love soup, too-I could eat it just about every single day. Looks fabulous!

Nicole, RD — January 19, 2011 @ 7:02 pm

I love Brie…and in a hearty, winter soup…sold! It looks and sounds divine!

Lindsay — January 19, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

I’m definitely going to make this! It’s been so cold up here in Montana land… I need me some brie soup! :)

p.s. Have you seen this recipe? I saw the word “bacon” and thought of you:

Chelsea — January 19, 2011 @ 7:13 pm

WOW. I’ve never heard of a brie soup. Is there anything better than cheesy soup? I think not.

Jess@atasteofconfidence — January 19, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

I love brie, but normally only have it with crackers- might have to try this!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 19, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

brie + bottles of wine = memories of my early 20s in the wine country.

let’s plan a trip together! :)

Heather — January 19, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

So creative. It looks soo tasty! Even on a warm day like today, I could totally go for some of that.

Sues — January 19, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Whoa! I love soup too, especially fully loaded ones and this looks awesome! I’ve never even considered the idea of adding brie to soup. Yum!

Feast on the Cheap — January 19, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

Why have I never added Brie to a soup before?! This looks ahhh-mazing.

Brenda — January 19, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

Hi. I’m new to your blog and this recipe looks amazing! I also have quite the love affair with soup and making soups of all kinds. I can’t wait to try some of your recipes.

Julie — January 19, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

Oh goodness my mouth is in awe over your geniousness and like minded taste buds, my waist however, is cursing you. No matter my mouth always win in the battle and apologizes for my waist’s rudeness (it just doesn’t understand the bliss of brie). Love that I have all the ingredients on hand, can’t wait for dinner. Thanks Jessica!

Sherry Greek — January 19, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

I love the bowl and spoon you have! They are super cute. And I am such a fan of cheesy soups. It loves lovely.

Tracy — January 20, 2011 @ 1:38 am

Sounds wonderful! There’s nothing more comforting than a delicious, cheesy, creamy soup. :-)

Lisa@ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 20, 2011 @ 2:20 am

I haven’t had brie in a long, long time. That’s about to change.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 20, 2011 @ 3:57 am

I am going to make this, and I am pretty sure it will become my new favourite food. I think I love you.

Deborah Dowd — January 20, 2011 @ 12:06 pm

This sounds like an amazing soup! Perfect for these cold winter days!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — January 20, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

I am NOT a soup person but wow this looks good.

Talaya — January 20, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

Let me just say- I dont like soup at all… But this recipe- your lovely photo of this soup has quickly destroyed that claim. So at lunch yesterday I rushed out to buy the stuff for this soup. (heavy sigh) Thank you.. for such a great recipe… (sigh) Thank you for making a liar out of me… (sigh) THANK YOU FOR A GREAT SOUP RECIPE.. I am shouting from the roof tops “Everyone, Everyone I eat soup….” Not just any soup though-your wonderful soup..
    This delightful soup is now a fav. I added potatoes and shredded carrots and subbed kale for spiniach… Thanks again- great recipe.. Love the bowl its adorable. :))

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

So glad you liked it!

Meghan — January 20, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

This sounds amazing and I am currently taking mental stock of my refrigerator to see what I need to pick up on the way home…one question, rind on or no with the brie?

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

I took it off!

megan — January 20, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

This looks so decadent. I have to make this for our girls night out by the campfire next month!!! Last time I took the chocolate dipped Clementines which disappeared so dang quickly. This time the food is going to be more of a dinner instead of snacks, and this soup will fit the bill. Unless of course, you change my mind by then. Your always tempting me. :)

Barb — January 20, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Wow this sounds delish…
    Your blog/writing is hysterical, I love reading your daily musings, and your recipes are great! I loved your Caprese Dip, I noted it in a post I did at New Years…
    (http://icedteaintheafternoon.blogspot.com/2010/12/top-5-cheese-appetizer-recipes-for-new.html).

I have a question with the soup-do you peel the white skin off the brie before adding it? Brie is my favorite-goes right to my hips, but give me some crusty bread and brie and I am a happy camper!

Thanks~

• Jessica — January 20th, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

Thank you so much Barb!
      I always have a “should I” or “shouldn’t I” with the brie rind. I just cut it off for this soup with a sharp knife, trying to salvage as much brie as I could. I wish there was an easier way!

Katie — January 20, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Hi Jessica, after finding this recipe, I made this for dinner last night, sans chicken …. definitely going to be a regular around here. delicious! thanks for the recipe!

Katie — January 22, 2011 @ 4:12 am

Looks so good…I will definitely try this one! Where are your bowl/spoons from? They are so cute!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 22, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Oh my… I can only imagine how creamy and satisfying that soup must be! Fabulous!

Christine — January 26, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

We just made this last night, and it has been added to our permanent cookbook! SOOO good! Thank you very kindly for posting this! Incidentally, I took off only the outer rim of rind, but left the top on cuz that’s my bf’s favorite thing about brie – the rind! It melted a little, but it’s definitely still in there as tiny chunks. The spinach though was the best part! :)

• Jessica — January 26th, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Glad to hear it!

May — January 28, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

My word!! This was absolutely delicious! I passed this recipe along to my co worker who is a Brie fan, knowing she would be quick to make it and bring it to the office. Just as I thought, she made it and shared it….thanks to you, many many mouths were made happy and our thighs are rejoicing!!! ;)

Katie — January 28, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

When I found this recipe a week ago I was so excited, thank you! I’m making this tonight. (: YUM.

Nicole — January 30, 2011 @ 8:32 pm

Jessica,
    What type of camera are you using to take these gorgeous photos? :)

• Jessica — January 30th, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Thank you! I have a Nikon D5000.

• Nicole — January 30th, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

Thank you so much, I’m camera hunting and I think this one looks like a winner!

bryanna c a — March 11, 2011 @ 9:29 am

i think you may like this soup – it’s an adaption from a tortilla soup on epicourious.com. It’s by far my favorite tortilla soup and it is very non-traditional. Creamy and spicy – perfect!

Creamy Tortilla Soup
    by Bryánna

4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large maui onion, chopped
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 cups chicken broth
    3 cups half and half
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
    1 to 1 1/2 cups salsa
    1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
    1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn (optional)
    6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and shredded
    2 tablespoons cumin (to taste)
    3 tbs taco seasoning mix
    chopped fresh cilantro (to garnish)
    tortilla chips
    Monterrey jack cheese, grated

Directions
    1. in a large pot over med. heat, saute the garlic and onion in butter for 5 minutes
    2. add flour and stir well, cook for 1 minute
    3. add broth and half-and-half
    4. bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low
    5. add canned soup, salsa, corn, chicken, cumin, seasoning packet and a handful of cilantro
    6. stir and continue to heat for 15 minutes
    7. ladle soup into bowls
    8. add ½ oz cheese, cilantro and crumbled tortilla chips into individual bowls
    serves 8 recipe

Katharine — July 6, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

Hi Jessica,

I tried this soup a couple months ago and it is TO DIE FOR!!!! I make it absolutely all the time now with crusty bread, and it is hands down my favorite soup ever. I look forward to trying more recipes from your blog!

Katharine

PS. Any tips on cleaning the pot afterward? No matter how much I stir while cooking I always get the pot crusty and it is quite a pain to wash, albeit quite worth it. :)

• Carey — November 17th, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Try turning your heat down a little. I made this recipe in a Le Creuset dutch oven, did not stir often, and didn’t have a problem with it anything sticking to the pot. After I brought all the ingredients up to a boil, I took the heat back down to low (like 2 out of 10 on an electric stove) and just let it simmer until done. Good luck.

Carey — November 17, 2011 @ 5:44 pm

Just tried this soup last night and almost ate ALL of it! Seriously, it’s that good. In order to make it easier to remove the rind from the brie, I put the brie in the freezer for about 15 minutes before cutting it. Some of the outer pieces of brie were quite firm and didn’t completely melt. I loved biting into a small piece of brie here and there throughout the soup. Other than substituting 1 cup of the milk with 1 cup of chicken stock and using heavy cream instead of half-and-half, I followed the recipe precisely. I used the breasts from a rotisserie chicken and added the drippings from the chicken to the stock. This soup was packed full of flavor. I shared some with a friend at work, and she practically inhaled it. Thank you, Jessica, for such a fantastic recipe.

Gina May — November 25, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Since some of the family went to a second Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, we went light, at least in quantity and had this soup for our Thanksgiving dinner. Paired with freshly baked bread, it was perfect. And it made for a much tastier leftover today.

Michelle — December 2, 2011 @ 7:14 am

when i made this, my ratios were a bit off and ended up using too much pepper and onion… it ended up tasting like mexican restaurant queso, and it was divine!!

Thanks for this delicious recipe! :)

Sam — December 12, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Hey,
    When I was making this soup, it took a long time for the brie to melt- about 20 minutes… is this normal?

BTW- one of THE BEST soups I’ve ever tasted!! So delicious! I added a couple grinds of my “Italian Herb Seasoning” grinder and made it that much more savory! Will be making often!

Encore — December 16, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Finally got around to making this soup (story of my life being behind in everything!) and it was scrum-diddily-umptous! I’ve made it twice now since winter started in on us and it’s definitely going to be a staple for the season! Well, that and wine. You know what I’m talking about! :) Thanks again and, of course, I linked back to you because that’s how I roll!

Ebru — January 24, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

Hi Jessica, I want to try your recipe, it looks amazing but I am not sure I can find Brie in my area . ( I live in Istanbul,Turkey) Brie is not familiar to me either. Do you recommend me another kind of cheese for this soup ??

Kelly — December 9, 2012 @ 3:04 pm

Made this last night and adapted it to be vegetarian friendly by omitting the chicken and adding an entire bag of fresh spinach and another of broccoli florets. Today for leftovers I added a few tablespoons of honey and WOW. it’s like a whole new soup. Thanks for the recipe, jessica!

Kim — October 15, 2013 @ 12:20 am

Is there a reduced fat way of making this?

• Jessica — October 15th, 2013 @ 9:41 am

you can definitely try with fat free or lowfat milk, though sometimes the roux has a had time setting up that way. it may just be a bit thinner!

Alyssa — October 23, 2013 @ 4:28 pm

I’m stalking your soup recipes – and OMGBRIETHATICANSLURP!!!! My thighs are expanding just reading this recipe, but I totally have to make it. Even if it’s just once.

Tara — January 19, 2014 @ 2:42 pm

Made this last night and really liked it. I cannot eat gluten so I mixed in a very small cornstarch slurry at the end but really it didn’t need it. I think it was fine not being overly thick so those of u that are GF just skip the flour and u will still like it. Less thick but still great. I added a but more liquid then called for because I had 3 chicken breasts and I added peas cuz I had them on hand. Overall very good interesting flavor. Something different that didn’t take to terribly long. Since I added more liquid my soup didn’t have an overly Brie taste but I bet it would have if I would have stuck closer to the measurements or added extra Brie. Thank u !

Courtney — January 20, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

I’ve made this soup a million times (or like four) and it is the best. However, I just pasted the info into one of those nutrition calculator things to try and get an idea on the calories and all that. I looked and it had more calories than I should eat in a day and I was like WHAT NO. Um yeah I forgot to put in serving size….so it was treating the recipe like it was one serving. Delicious as it is, I don’t typically eat the entire pot in one sitting. Lolz. Almost had a heart attack (and not just from all the Brie……and also the gouda I usually slip in. Guilty.). Quite happy to see that after my data-entry failure it came out to be perfectly normal and even got a B- as a nutritional grade. Which means I’m going to make this tomorrow and eat the entire pot! Kidding. Maybe.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Creamy Chicken and Brie Soup | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Apple Risotto with Toasted Pecans | How Sweet It Is