The above title should probably read “oh what a day,” but I’ll use any excuse to throw some Jersey Boys lyrics into a post title since they’ve only been in my head for oh… 3 weeks.

Today was not a fun day. Last night, Mr. How Sweet noticed a bump on his leg. This morning, he was in major pain which eventually transformed into him barely being able to walk. A trip to the doctor’s revealed that he most likely had a staph infection, which led to lots of cutting and other terrible, unpleasant things. I’m definitely sparing you the gorey details, but I think this is what it means when you say ‘for better or for worse.’

[Side note: the Dr. bore an unreal resemblance to McSteamy. This made things much easier… for me.]

So we got sent home with these.

And then I had a major freakout. Because how can the cleanest man in the word get something like this? This is a guy who insists on showering before he works out, often showering three times a day. If he simply tries on a piece of clothing, it goes into the wash, along with everything else even if he only had it on for 5 minutes. We get in arguments over his Type A cleanliness. He is extremely OCD about being clean and sanitary. If he gets this, I am most certainly screwed. Why?!

I spent the rest of the day with this new friend.

I’ve cleaned things in this house I didn’t even know we owned. I’ve done more loads of laundry today than I’ve done since we’ve been married and I’ve scrubbed everything from light switches down to Mr. How Sweet’s Louis Vuitton wallet. He’s going to be just thrilled with that when he wakes up.

I definitely think tonight calls for some of these.

I’m most likely going to be up all night making sure Mr. How Sweet survives since I’m a whacked out freak, but on a positive note, tomorrow morning you will find out what I did with all of that salted caramel!

84 Responses to “Oh What a Night.”

Lauren at KeepItSweet — January 22, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Aw, hope he feels better really soon! Reminds me of a House episode when the guy who had been kept away from all germs got sick.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — January 22, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Oh geesh Sweets, not fun at all! Cheers to a weekend of recovery for the both of you and that he heals ASAP!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 22, 2011 @ 1:14 pm

Awww, poor Mr. How Sweet!!! I hope things get better soon!!

Leigh — January 22, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Oh no…hope he feels better soon! I had a staph infection (on my face and neck…awesome) and it was terrible. No idea how I got it, but I definitely cleaned EVERYTHING…twice.

Low — January 22, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Poor guy! I’m so sorry! I hope he (and you) feels better soon!

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com — January 22, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

I feel for you guys!!!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — January 22, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Poor guy! I hope he’s better asap!

Miriam — January 22, 2011 @ 3:22 pm

Oh I was so sorry to read this post, please feel better soon Mr. How Sweet! I am glad that you have plently of good comforting food, especially chocolate, around to help you get through this! Sending all positive healing thoughts your way.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — January 22, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

Hope he gets better soon!!! Staph is no fun.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 22, 2011 @ 3:49 pm

When I was younger, we had to go to the hospital because my right knee was swollen to double the size of the other. We went to the emergency room, and once they finally got to us, they said they needed to take out the excess fluid around my knee joint (that’s why it was bigger). Needles later, I was submited to the hospital for one night. Apartently, I had juvinale roomatoid arthrithes (did I speel that right?); it’s only happen again once–like 3-4 yrs ago, but it has never bothered me since! My uncle had a similar thing with arthrithes: he got it, and then it just went away and never came back. I guess you could say I am in complete remission. :)

Mr. Sweet, get well soon!!!

Tracy — January 22, 2011 @ 3:58 pm

Oh no! I hope Mr. How Sweet’s recovery is speedy and that he’s back to eating steak with a side of chicken in no time. :-)

Mellissa — January 22, 2011 @ 4:33 pm

I hope this infection gets cleared up quickly! Thinking about you guys!

oregonjudy — January 22, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

Just wanted to re-echo Becca’s statement. Being overly sterile creates an environment for germs like staph to flourish. Your body needs to set up resistance to germs and can only do that by being subjected to them on a regular basis. So stop sterilizing everything and just go back to your ordinary cleaning. Needless to say, your husband’s immediate environment (his leg and what touches it) should be sterile until the infection clears.

Debbie — January 22, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Get well soon, Mr. How Sweet!

Chris — January 23, 2011 @ 12:45 am

Wow, MRSA is no joke from what I understand. Good thing you guys caught it early. I am told a local high school student where I live died from that a few years back, so the school closed for a thorough cleaning, etc. I’m neurotic about the kids wearing shower shoes, etc. now. Used to just worry about athlete’s foot and that sort of thing, but MRSA is a whole other animal! If you guys really think he got it from the gym, if you haven’t already, you should probably report it to them so they can do a thorough cleaning … hopefully!! {{{HUGS}}}

Samantha — January 23, 2011 @ 1:03 am

Oh so not Sweet! I had one 2 years ago. The antibiotics I had to take had a horrible aftertaste that I would burp for hours. It was like “butt” Or what I would imagine “butt” to taste like. My hubby didn’t want to kiss me afterward. And for 3 weeks I had to take them! Hopefully he doesn’t have the same reaction! Take Care.

Janie Pollard — January 23, 2011 @ 1:32 am

Thank God he is ok,my husband got a red spot on his foot.It was hurting him really bad so he went to his doctor,he gave him antibiotics and sent him home.Two days later we were at the ER.It was staph infection the worse kind you can get MRSA.He had two surgeries on his foot and had a 50-50 chance for amputation.It was a nightmare.I’m commenting because I had never heard of MRSA and it is deadly,it was in his blood stream also.The hospitals and gyms is the easiest places to catch it.If everyone has a few minutes please educate yourself on MRSA.It could save someone’s life.

• Carol A. — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:37 am

It can be deadly but is unfortunately very common these days..It can be treated now. The MRSA means that is is resistant to Methacillin but other drugs are used now to treat it. The resistance comes from over treatment with antibiotics and the “bug” has mutated into a resistant, more resilient bug. Unfortunately, over treatment of viral illnesses is part of the problem.
      I just read a post from another blogger who’s daughter smashed her finger in the car door. It cont. to get more red and when they went to the Dr. they were sent directly to the ER where they found it was infected.
      “Spots” are something that should be watched…If any cont. redness develops and it doesn’t start getting better in a couple days it should be looked at in an ER, office etc. Esp looked into if the patient develops a fever, along with the redness or pain that isn’t taken care of with Tylenol etc.
      Sounds a tho’ Mr. How Sweet was right on it and did what he should have.
      You guys take care and get better!!

becky — January 23, 2011 @ 2:16 am

I hope he makes a full recovery soon. My friend got a staph infection from a spider bite a few years ago. It was a long road of recovery but she’s okay now. :)

Sana — January 23, 2011 @ 4:33 am

Ackkk! I hope he is better soon!

Heather — January 23, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

Oh goodness! That is so crazy! At least he’s on some meds now. I hear staph infections can spread like nobody’s business! Hope he gets better soon!

Ashley — January 23, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

My dad just went through the exact same thing and was in the hospital for 10 days because it was so serious. He is super-meticulous about cleaning, too, so I can’t believe it happened to him! Hope your husband gets better very soon.

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — January 28, 2011 @ 5:06 pm