Cookie dough isn’t just for [closet] eating. Or dipping!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

It’s for stuffing too!

Stuffing cinnamon rolls to be exact.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

You may remember that I made my first batch of cinnamon rolls ever this past Christmas. Yes, first ever. It was also my first time ever tasting a homemade cinnamon roll. I really had not lived before that.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

A common question I receive is if I have a recipe for cinnamon rolls. I do – but it certainly isn’t my own. In December I made The Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls and will probably never even attempt another recipe. There is no need to. This recipe is simple, foolproof, and yields the most incredible cinnamon rolls I have ever tasted.
And if you recall… I didn’t even like cinnamon rolls before. I’m not a pastry gal. Well, at least I wasn’t before.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

I really didn’t think there was any way these could possibly taste better.

But then I stuffed them with chocolate chip cookie dough.

I’m sure you can just imagine how that turned out.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

And I topped them with the vanilla cream glaze I first made in December. Good gosh I practically slurped it off the spoon.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

I ended up halving the cinnamon roll recipe and suggest using your favorite chocolate chip cookie dough. In fact, I even think store-bought cookie dough would work too. It’s just going to burst out of the cinnamon rolls in an oooey, gooey fashion anyway.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

I can barely describe them. The cinnamon rolls are soft and buttery and full of cinnamon sugar, but also oozing with chocolate chip cookie. I didn’t realize it until after they came out of the oven, but this is a combination of two of Mr. How Sweet’s favorite foods. His eyes nearly bulged out of his head when he saw them.
They are incredibly delicious in all of their pants-poppin’ goodness. Two words: make them.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls

rolls recipe from The Pioneer Woman, idea by cakespy

makes 4 pans of cinnamon rolls

2 cups whole milk

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup sugar

1 package dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons)

4 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

melted butter

Mix the milk, sugar and oil in a large pot. Scald the mixture, then let cool for one hour. When it has cooled (but is still slightly warm), sprinkle the yeast into the milk mixture and let it sit for a minute. Add four cups of flour and mix until a dough forms, then cover and let rise for at least one hour.

After an hour, add the remaining 1/2 cup of flour, baking soda and powder and mix. I use my hands to make sure the dough completely comes together. Flour your workspace and roll the dough with a rolling pin until it’s thin and somewhat rectangular, then brush with melted butter (as much as you want) and generously cover with cinnamon and sugar. Drops balls of your favorite cookie dough all over the cinnamon roll dough, then starting with the end away from you, roll the dough into a line towards you. Slice the rolls about 1 inch thick and lay in pans (I use aluminum 9 inch cake pans) that have been brushed with melted butter. Let the rolls rise for about 30 minutes.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe for Vanilla Cream Glaze

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls I

This is a great way to start off Monday, right?

206 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls.”

Alexa — February 28, 2011 @ 9:03 pm

Jeez Louise. Now I’m thinking of all the other things you could stuff inside cinnamon rolls…brownie batter? blondie batter?! snickerdoodle dough?

• Jessica — February 28th, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

YES. Just yes.

• Lauren — March 1st, 2011 @ 1:51 am

Can I second this motion? I wanna see brownie/blondie/snickernoodle stuffed breakfast breads!

• Christine — March 1st, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

i was thinking a spicy cookie dough like gingerbread might be good with the cinnamon…

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 28, 2011 @ 9:21 pm

Wow! My hips are saying “HELL NO!” but my mind is saying “Bring on the cookie dough stuffed cinnamon rolls”! These look marvelous, Jessica. I think I’d have to run 12 miles to burn them off, but these would be worth it. Time to get my running shoes!

janetha @ meals and moves — February 28, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

you have got to stop.

Blond Duck — February 28, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

Ben’s diet is depressing me.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 28, 2011 @ 10:29 pm

You always amaze me with your incredibly delicious creations! I can’t imagine anything more wonderful than cinnamon rolls stuffed with cookie dough OMG!! :)

Mochachino Baby — February 28, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

how do you stay so fit baking so often and eating these goods along with bacon? I’m just curious what your secret is. Perhaps a post on that would be nice.

• Jessica — February 28th, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

This blog is not an account of what I eat during the day – see my FAQs.

the domestic fringe — February 28, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

What an awesome idea! I may just have to try this recipe, although I doubt I need to add more calories to The Pioneer Woman’s cinnamon rolls. ;-) I actually just made them last week. So yummy!

Your website is so super cute. Made me want to go bake a cupcake.

Christina — February 28, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Oh Lordy Lord. These look amazing. I have to make these ASAP!!

GA Peach — February 28, 2011 @ 11:45 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!! Thank God for stretchy pants is all I can say. Found your blog a couple of weeks ago–I can definitely say it will not be good for my waistline, but my family will love me. Maybe I can convince my children to never grow up and leave me with these yummy lovelies!! Can it just be our secret and let them love me??

• Jessica — March 1st, 2011 @ 2:29 am

Hahahah! Thanks. :)

Moni'sMeals — February 28, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

NO WAY! Leave it to you, you are amazing with the things you come up with!
    I will HAVE TO try these.

Katrina — February 28, 2011 @ 11:48 pm

DUDE. These look so, SO good!! What an awesome idea…..cookies….AND cinnamon rolls… one?! AMAZING!!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 1, 2011 @ 1:32 am

A great freakin way to start a Monday, but I no doubt, could eat a pan of these every day of the week. My mouth is totally watering just thinking about how these would taste. Damn you, ha! I really am going to have to loosen my pants after making and ingesting these bad boy. This is no joke right? I can have cookie dough in my cinnamon rolls. OMG!

Eileen — March 1, 2011 @ 1:32 am

Wow…..seriously AMAZING! I love cinnamon rolls and chocolate chip cookies! These are definitely on the top of my to do list this week, thanks :)

Simply Life — March 1, 2011 @ 1:43 am

wow, this truly leaves me speechless.

Courtney — March 1, 2011 @ 1:57 am

This is so freaking sinful! Hahaha, damn you. Here I am purging all of the chocolate in my house finally trying to lose those last 10 lbs. and then you post this. THIS?! How do you stay fit, dear?

Stephanie — March 1, 2011 @ 2:08 am

These are crazy insane girl, they look SO GOOD!!!! Keep ’em coming, I look forward to your posts every single day :)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 1, 2011 @ 3:23 am

I’ve had pretty much the worst day ever. Could you please fed ex me a pan? I’d be forever grateful! I’ll send you sprinkles in exchange. :)

• Jessica — March 1st, 2011 @ 3:42 am

I wish I could!

Baking Serendipity — March 1, 2011 @ 4:24 am

This is a seriously great way to start off a Monday! What an awesomely creative and delicious breakfast treat :)

Jolene ( — March 1, 2011 @ 4:26 am

I think my mind has been blown!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — March 1, 2011 @ 4:37 am

You are crazy girl!
    These look so insanely delicious. I have to make them.
    I have been dreaming about them all day and now I have plans to make them soon.
    I’m kinda scared that I may never eat anything else ever again.

Lauren — March 1, 2011 @ 5:23 am

OMG that looks UNREAL…wow happiness

elle marie — March 1, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Now this.. I’ve never seen.. I bet it was sure delish… I could grab a shovel and dig into cookie dough.

Mary (A Merry Life) — March 1, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Your creative foodie skills and ability to create recipes that make my mouth water astounds me. You are so freaking amazing!

grace — March 1, 2011 @ 10:28 am

marvelous idea! this is innovation and creativity at its most sinful and best–bravo. :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 1, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

Ooooooo! These look so sinful and delicious—YUM!

dani — March 1, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

oh. my. god. AMAZING!

gramps — March 1, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

No big deal, but I cannot use the print button on the subscribed blog. I have to go to your “BLOGGED BLOG” to print

• Jessica — March 1st, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

Thanks for letting me know, but what is a blogged blog?

Melissa Daams aka Cute Kitty Punk — March 1, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

Hi Jessica.

Wow – you’ve done it again! Simply genius!

I’d love for you to link this over at Sweet Rolls that Rock. I’ve got a linky party going on there this week.

Check it out:

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — March 2, 2011 @ 2:29 am

Well, this looks like a keeper! I can’t even imagine how good they are, yum!

Sure Fit Inc — March 2, 2011 @ 10:49 pm

Cinnamon roll and cookies… two of my favorites! What could be better, will have to try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing this creative combination.
    Sure Fit Slipcovers

Jess — March 3, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

Sooo clever!!! I want one SOOO bad!!!

Jenny (VintageSugarcube) — March 4, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Jessica, There’s not a lot of desserts that bang me over in ahhmazement, but this idea is sooo brilliant. Kudos to you lady. I rarely bake from 100% scratch, but I’m think’n I need to make an exception for this recipe. :)

Sarah — March 4, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

ommmgggg i cannot WAIT TO MAKE THESE!!! I hope i have everything so i can make them tonight and eat them for every single meal until they are gone!

Rose Sterling — March 6, 2011 @ 7:56 am

Your cinnamon roll made my saliva pouring in the side of my mouth. LOL. I love the vanilla cream glaze! So yummy! I can really imagine the taste. I should better make this by tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.

Piano Schoenhut — March 6, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Those cinnamon rolls are so mouth watering. I love the vanilla glaze. It really made me crave so much for this recipe. I will be making this tomorrow.

Amber — March 6, 2011 @ 10:43 pm

I just made these cinnamon rolls! I am only 15, so this is my first time making homemade cinnamon rolls. It actually wasn’t that hard, and I’m thinking about making it next time without the cookie dough for a little less more normality. Also I used normal milk without whole milk, because I didn’t have it, and it worked out fine! Thanks for all your crazy ideas, I LOVE THEM. Especially the ones that have to do with bacon.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 1:16 am

I am so glad you liked them Amber! :)

Tammy — March 19, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

I made this tonite.. I figured they would be a food that would be a treat for my VERY finicky child. I blogged about it..

I love your blog!!

Ingveldur — March 20, 2011 @ 11:38 am

making them, right now.

Heather — March 28, 2011 @ 11:27 am

I made these last night…O.M.G. I didn’t know whether to cry or smile or both…SO GOOD!

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

Erin — April 30, 2011 @ 3:28 am

Oh, my… dear, sweet cinnamon rolls, and my ultimate vice… *gulp* chocolate chip cookie dough? No… must… resist… can’t… deny… the… deliciousness… GAH! Resistance is futile! I MUST MAKE THESE!!!!

Anitra — June 22, 2011 @ 7:44 am

See I don’t know how I found this blog and now I am a prisoner of fooey goodness. I am trying to avoid making these *prints out recipe* I will not make these *double checks grocery list* But it’s my birthday and I can bake if I want to *puts tag back on bathing suit* Oh my goodness I need these in my life, thank you and curses to being in the mid thirties with a slow-er metabolisim. :)

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2011 @ 7:53 am

Happy birthday!! Now get baking. :)

Bex — June 28, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

If one didn’t *ahem* NEED four pans of these at once (hypothetically speaking), do you think they would hold up okay in the freezer until you were ready to bake them? Or do you think better baked first, then frozen until ready to warm and serve?

• Jessica — June 28th, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Yes, they will freeze. I think they work best when you freeze the dough in the pans then remove to bake!

Clare @ Fitting It All In — August 17, 2011 @ 8:53 am

Oh wow. Oh wowwww…..
    Got the link from Snack-face. To die for!

Emily — September 29, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Just made these and they are seriously amazing. Just add your favorite cookie dough. They are instantly addicting. The dough for the rolls is excellent as well.

Susi — November 1, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

Hello. I really want to try to bake these cinnamon rolls soon. I was wondering if I could just half the recipe? What do you think?
    This would be my first attempt of baking cinnamon rolls – ever.
    Greetings from Vienna

• Jessica — November 1st, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

Yep that should be fine as long as everything is measured correctly to the half point!

• Susi — November 11th, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

Hello Jessica,
        I want to use my pyrex pan. Do you think I need to adjust the baking time?

JJ's Cake&Bake — October 15, 2012 @ 2:17 am

These were the first cinnamon buns I ever tried to make and they turned out PERFECT! They are now called Can I Touch Your Butt Cinnamon Buns :P Thank you for this recipe!!!

Lacey — September 12, 2013 @ 7:20 pm

um. okay wow. even after all of the time I have spent on your blog it took this to officially blow my mind. Jessica, what magic do you possess??

1. Pingback: The Day The Cinnamon Rolls Broke My Oven. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: FAITH, FITNESS, FUN » Blog Archive » Black & White

3. Pingback: Culinary Concoctions by Peabody – Illegal in 37 states…

4. Pingback: hello: cinnamon rolls with cream cheese glaze | apple pie & espresso

5. Pingback: Cake Batter Cinnamon Rolls | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Sugar: It’s whats for breakfast « Banksyface

7. Pingback: favorite links – week of feb 28, 2011 ~ the homepodge blog

8. Pingback: Cuenca | Trotamundos

9. Pingback: Latest Chocolate Auctions | Chocolate Recipes for You

10. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Recipes |

11. Pingback: And My New Obsessions Prove as Fleeting as the Cake in the Fridge… | thesprinkledpancake

12. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Cookie Dough Recipes – Bites From Other Blogs

14. Pingback: Cookie Dough Recipes – Bites From Other Blogs – recipes

15. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #80 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls « Ella Rose Entertaining

16. Pingback: Biscoff Cinnamon Rolls | The Spiffy Cookie

17. Pingback: Favorite Fall Flavors – Bites From Other Blogs

18. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Cinnamon Rolls with Brown Sugar Malted Glaze | Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures

19. Pingback: cookie dough filled cinnamon rolls with cookie dough frosting | purelytwins

20. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breakfast Rolls | PrayerPoseMom

21. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Breakfast Rolls | Swallows from my Kitchen Window