This normally isn’t my kind of thing.

Fruit for dessert? What is that all about?

I usually go for something much more rich. Something rot-your-teeth rich, to be exact.

But after eating this cake, I’m sold on fruit for dessert.
I topped the cake with fresh whipped cream.

Since it has the word “fresh” in it, I’m pretending it’s healthy. It sounds healthy. I mean, it’s dairy. There has to be protein in it.

This cake is definitely on the “lighter” side of decadence.

It is sweet but not too sweet, and tastes… refreshing. Perfect for the warmer months approaching. It’s unlike many dessert recipes I share, which means I deem it completely appropriate for breakfast.

In fact, for the perfect breakfast I recommend two slices. Or three.

[print_this]

Lemon Lime Cake

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1 tablespoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup milk

3 tablespoons lemon and/or lime juice (I juiced the lemon and lime into the same bowl and got 3 tbsp)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and zest and combine until mixed.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the lemon and lime juice and thoroughly mix. Once mixed, add milk and beat until combined.

Pour into an 8×8 or 9×9 square cake pan and bake for 30-35 mins at 350. Let cool completely.
Lime Whipped Cream

1 pint cold whipping cream

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoons lime zest

3 tablespoons powdered sugar

In the bowl of an electric mixer, add cream, vanilla, sugar and lime zest. Best until cream stiffens, about 5-6 minutes. Frost cake and refrigerate. I used a pastry bag and tip to frost.

[/print_this]

Go hurry up and bake one so you have a slice waiting for you tomorrow morning! I’ll be over with coffee.

115 Responses to “Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream.”

Feast on the Cheap — February 24, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Oh hello….this looks ah-mazing. I just whipped up a Lemon Pudding Cake this past weekend, I’ve definitely been in a lemony state-of-mind. Just wish spring would hurry up and arrive already!

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 24, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

You know me, I am all about desserts for breakfast – especially with freshly whipped cream :)

WenDee Riffe — February 24, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

guurl~~what are you doing?? tyrin’ to kill me here??? i love anything lemon and this looks so light and refreshing…i cant wait to finish up all the brownies and then on to this cake!!!! OOOOOOoooo~~by the way!!! the brownies are the bomb babeeee!!! if i can figure out how to do the pics on twitter i will tweet about them and show a pic as well as a link back to ya sis-tuuur!!! again!! sloooow down on the sugar!!!LOL!!!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

So glad you liked the brownies! Post a pic to the How Sweet Facebook page! :)

WenDee Riffe — February 24, 2011 @ 11:51 pm

oh–one question!!! and this may be a dumb one??? how do i change the profile pic on my comments that i leave on your page??? or if someone else can answer pleeeeez help me!!!!LOL!!! i am tooo old for all this new fang-led stuff!!!LOL!!!

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

I think it has something to do with a gravatar?? I’m honestly not sure, I did mine through WordPress I think!

elle marie — February 24, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

I hope you don’t think I’m being arrogant for saying this.. but your photos have been getting better, and better… I really wanted to point out that I noticed… well done!

Did you get a softbox?

As for the food.. TOOTHSOME…

• Jessica — February 25th, 2011 @ 12:00 am

Thank you so much! That really means a lot to me. And I am not even sure what a softbox is, so nope, I don’t have one. I shoot everything in natural light. I have about 2-3 hours per day of really great light in my dining room.

Naomi — February 25, 2011 @ 12:12 am

now that will just about cure my key lime pie craving YES!

Kathy — February 25, 2011 @ 12:28 am

What did you use to get the whipped cream like that?? I was just thinking about making a pineapple upside down cake, and came across this! I think I’ll try this instead! Thanks!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 25, 2011 @ 1:02 am

I would, but your tempting coffee will have me crying. I’m giving it up to see if it’s giving me stomach issues. You’ll be happy you’re in PA and I’m in IL two days from now. Can we say crabby?

Ellie@fitforthesoul — February 25, 2011 @ 1:13 am

Holy moly! That piping loooks sooo purrrtyyy~Sometimes, I just like to stare at food more than anything I think. Actually, stare and THEN devour.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 25, 2011 @ 1:14 am

How pretty! The piping is so sweet and delicate, and the grating of lime adds a fresh touch.

Julie — February 25, 2011 @ 1:36 am

Sounds like my kind of breakfast! I love the piping…so pretty :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 25, 2011 @ 1:39 am

I do love me some citrus desserts! In fact, last night I made lemon pudding cake with fresh lemon, so good since it bakes in to two layers :)

Cara — February 25, 2011 @ 1:55 am

That cake looks so refreshing and delicious! Between that and your coconut tilapia, you’ve practically moved to a tropical island!

Kath — February 25, 2011 @ 1:55 am

Gahhhhhhhh! What a gorgeous photoshoot!!!

Hannah — February 25, 2011 @ 2:16 am

I may be a diehard chocoholic when it comes to snacking, but my favourite desserts are lemon or lime based. I love the tanginess. Therefore I love this cake, and you.

Amanda — February 25, 2011 @ 2:26 am

Oh I love how you did that frosting, so beautiful!

*Andrea* — February 25, 2011 @ 3:43 am

looks delicious!!! your blog is so amazing- i love your humor and your recipes. so many other blogs i feel like try and emulate your style- you rock!

• Jessica — February 25th, 2011 @ 3:49 am

Aw, thank you so much! That really means a lot to me.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 25, 2011 @ 5:11 am

looks sooo good!

girl, my life has been a 3 ring circus. hope yours has been calmer than mine :)

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — February 25, 2011 @ 8:44 am

This seems like such a perfect spring dish! Can’t wait to try it!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 25, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Yummy and delicious to look at! I love your clean simple approach to this cake!

Katrina — February 25, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

Mmmm I love lemon and lime. The frosting on this cake sounds awesome. I can’t wait to try!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 25, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

I love desserts with fruit in them! This looks delicious!

Melissa Bakes — February 25, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

I read your blog EVERY day and I just love your writing and your delicious recipes! This cake looks amazing! I love how you decorated it using a pastry tip – which size tip is that?

• Jessica — February 25th, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

Thank you so much! Ummm.. it’s Wilton #32!

Jessica@jesscookinit.blogspot.com — February 26, 2011 @ 2:40 am

You are amazing! That cake is absolutely gorgeous…!

Mali K (The Mali K Whey) — February 26, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Lime is pretty much my favourite thing at the moment, so this looks heavenly…

Miz Helen — February 26, 2011 @ 12:58 pm

Your Lemon Lime Cake looks so delicious. I would like to invite you to bring a dish to Full Plate Thursday, the linky is open all week end. Thank you for sharing and have a nice day!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — February 26, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

What a beautiful cake! I love how you piped the whipped cream on the cake, absolutely gorgeous. :)

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 26, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

This cake looks lovely. I have been really into citrs lately as I wait for spring, it’s still freeing outside, but fresh tart flavors make me feel like warm weather is coming!

Katie — February 27, 2011 @ 12:13 pm

I made this last night for some dinner guests. My favorite part was the pretty whipped cream dolloped on the top. I also loved the smell of the fresh citrus juices baking away in the cake. Love your ideas. Keep them coming.

megan — February 28, 2011 @ 3:07 am

I’ll take bacon and eggs, with a side of cake. And coffee please! ;)

becky — February 28, 2011 @ 5:05 am

yum sounds great for the summertime!!!!!!!

Heide M. — March 2, 2011 @ 3:55 am

Can’t wait to try this. Refreshing twist using lemon and lime.

Becky — March 4, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Does anyone know if this would work as a layer cake? Bake it in two round pans instead of a square one? I’m thinking of doint that and layering the whipped cream in between…

• Jessica — March 4th, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

I don’t think there is enough batter to make two. Probably if you make 1 1/2 of the recipe?

nina from wechooseorganic.com — April 11, 2011 @ 3:34 am

Wow this looks delicious! We could use such a recipe on our organic/living/recipe blog. Would love to have a guest post from you. This is reaaally great here!

Nikki — May 12, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

Mm. The minute after I finished reading this recipe I went straight out to buy the ingredients and make it. It is SO good. Absolutely deeee-lish!

Mandy T. — June 14, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

First, I must say that everything that I have made from your website has received rave reviews. I do have a question, though, and as I am thinking it, I am felling more ignorant by the minute, but self-rising or all purpose flour? Baking poweder usually means allpurpose, but there’s no salt added.

Krystal McKenzie — August 3, 2011 @ 2:43 pm

I was looking for a cake recipe to have for breakfast and this one was perfect! I used a round cake pan and baked the cake for a little less time and it turned out delicious. My roommate absolutely loved it, I would recommend this recipe for anyone looking for a light and citrus-y cake! =)

Whipped Cream Frosting — October 30, 2011 @ 11:03 pm

this with M Hazan’s recipe and thought it was so great it does take time, but it is so worth it. I am going to try your version this winter when I love being inside and having something to mess with on the stove all afternoon yours looks delicious.made

Melissa — January 24, 2012 @ 8:21 pm

I just made these as cupcakes but used a nifty cupcake stuffer thing to fill them with lemon curd from Trader Joe’s! Tis the season for extra citrus!

lint — April 19, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

This looks so delicious. I will definitely start following you, this is amazing.

Jae — November 5, 2012 @ 7:37 am

Oh my this cake was amazing!!! I substituted the cream with a lemon sugar glaze, made with icing sugar and lemon juice. It was so good! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, the cake was fluffy and it wasn’t too sweet. Thank you!

Callum — April 27, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

This illusory information is taken to be a die hard truth
    by us all. Whether you are a skilled chef or a novice in the
    kitchen, appliances save time and energy. t have a jar, it can be used to liquefy hot soups right in their cooking pots.

Hielspoor — October 23, 2013 @ 4:26 am

Definitely gonna try this one soon!

Wyoming Born & Bread — August 4, 2014 @ 11:25 pm

Excellent recipe! The citrus flavor was delightful and the cake texture was beautiful. My daughter requested lemon lime cake for her birthday so we made this cake into cupcakes-kids and adults both agreed they were delicious! Thank you!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | Foodbeast Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | The Premiere Food News Resource

3. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | Foodbeast Lemon Lime Cake & Lime Whipped Cream | The Premiere Food News Resource

4. Pingback: Lemon Lime Cake with Fresh Lime Whipped Cream | Beegs.com