Don’t get too excited about that title.

We all know that the best vegetables begin with bacon.

I’ve decided that I like onions. And mushrooms. Especially when sauteed in bacon grease.

In fact, I like a fair amount of vegetables when paired with bacon grease.

Even all of that spinach that was dying in my fridge last week. Sort of.

I didn’t really know where I was going with this, but I knew I wanted bacon, mushrooms and onions. And since that doesn’t quite make a meal… I knew beans were going to make it into the mix too.

And I figured I’d better use that spinach instead of just leaving it to rot in the crisper drawer. Or else I’d feel the wrath of Mr. How Sweet.

Next came the quinoa, because while I thought I could deal with all of that spinach alone… I really couldn’t.

So in went the beans and the grains.

As a side note, you should know that I fried more bacon than should be legally allowed this past weekend. It was wonderful.

And this was quite delicious!

Even if I did pick out every other piece of spinach. It happens.

Now there is a large container of this in my fridge for meals and side dishes and I have the best of intentions. Hopefully I won’t find it hiding out behind the mac and cheese and cheesecake in three weeks.

[print_this]

Warm White Bean and Spinach Salad

serves 2-4

2 slices bacon, chopped

1/2 sweet onion, chopped

1 cup mushrooms, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

1 6-ounce bag of spinach (I used a little more too)

1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup cooked quinoa

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add chopped bacon. Fry until golden brown, then remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Add onions and mushrooms and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and spinach (I leave the stems on, I don’t mind them) and stir for 2-3 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Add in beans and quinoa. Turn off heat and stir in bacon. Serve as a main entree or side dish.

[/print_this]

And in case you’re wondering, the cake batter crispy treats lasted 4 hours. I should probably go eat some spinach for breakfast.

114 Responses to “Warm White Bean and Spinach Salad.”

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 21, 2011 @ 5:47 pm

This sounds awesome!! All those flavours would pair really well together.

Paige @ Running Around Normal — February 21, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Oh yum!! I think this would be fab even without the bacon (don’t hate me!!) Looks delish :)

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

I could never hate you, even though you want to exclude the love of my life.

Natalia - a side of simple — February 21, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

Whenever your posts start out with a picture of bacon, I feel like I’m part of one of those experiments where the dog salivates when it hears the bell because he’s been trained to know a treat comes next. Yea, it could be a problem if I’m at a public computer…

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — February 21, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

Looks delicious! Totally something I would eat!

Lacey @ dishfolio.com — February 21, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Great post — the recipe looks amazing. We’d love for you to share your recipe at dishfolio.com!

Courtney — February 21, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Yum i am SO making this for Uni lunches! I imagine it would be nice with some lemon juice too…

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

I bet it would be too!

Alexa — February 21, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

YUM! You know, I actually read somewhere recently that bacon is a better choice than turkey bacon. Even more of a reason to eat it! (Not that you need one!)

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

Awesome!

Tracy — February 22, 2011 @ 12:26 am

I love warm salads. This one looks so good!

envie recipes — February 22, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Nice…quinoa is my favorite grain. But since I grew up in a family that owned a meat packed company, I’m not afraid of a big skillet of bacon either. I’ll certainly be trying your recipe.

Katie — February 22, 2011 @ 2:11 am

WOW! I need to make this!! You always have such great things on here! I love following. I ended up starting a blog of my own a few months ago-if you have a chance stop by Daily Crush-

xx Katie

Heather (All Sizzle No Steak) — February 22, 2011 @ 3:37 am

That salad looks so tasty!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 22, 2011 @ 4:56 am

This salad is seriously gorgeous! Looks might delicious too!

Nina — February 22, 2011 @ 6:29 am

my workplace has a “salad club” on at the moment (don’t worry, it’s mostly been pasta and potato salads) where 4 people each week bring a huge salad to feed 20 people and we all eat it with tasty bread. i’m making this when it”s my week and i will win salad club with bacon!

not that’s it’s a competition.

emily — February 22, 2011 @ 6:59 am

i want to make that salad right now…it looks delicious

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 22, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I’m not a vegetarian/vegan. I simply don’t like bacon. (crazy, I know) Regardless, this recipe looks and sounds AMAZING!!!! You have inspired me to try out a new recipe! Thank you for you wonderful posts!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 22, 2011 @ 11:59 am

This looks like a meal in itself! Bring on the Popeye arms!

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 22, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

This salad looks awesome! I love wilted spinach salads, and this one is hearty and perfect!

Christina — February 22, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

You are too funny. I do things like to too- making a healthy side dish that I have every intention of serving along with things that are not too healthy…and then…I “forget…” :)

Angela — February 22, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

as a college student, this looks like the perfect thing for me to make in the tiny closet of a kitchen that is in my dorm and for me to keep in my tiny fridge

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 24, 2011 @ 2:49 am

Now, this is my kind of salad! I think I have most of the ingredients on hand, too… This just might have to be lunch later this week :)

Kristen — February 25, 2011 @ 12:34 pm

Very few things make me salivate this early in the morning (that’s a lie, but go with it). This, however, is leaving a puddle on my desk. We are so having this tonight!

• Jessica — February 25th, 2011 @ 1:10 pm

Enjoy!

jessi — March 1, 2011 @ 1:07 am

i made this tonight and it was great! thanks for the idea!

Kevin (Closet Cooking) — March 1, 2011 @ 2:14 am

That is one really nice looking quinoa salad!

Kimberly — March 3, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Hi, I made this last night! I used red quinoa cooked it in chicken stock and also added a splash of white wine some where during the process (I think it was when the mushrooms and onions were sauteeing). I am not sure why, but I was still skeptical about how it was going to taste, turns out it was delicious! I ate nearly the whole pan by myself. :) Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

You’re welcome!

jessi — March 5, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

this was incredible! my husband ate cooked spinach because of this recipe!

Kelli H — March 6, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I know you’d be disappointed but I used turkey bacon in this recipe and it was still delicious! My boyfriend and I had it for dinner and we both loved it. Thanks for sharing!

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 1:17 am

So glad you liked it!

Emma — March 10, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I recently stumbled upon your blog and have had to add so many of your recipes to my ‘Must Try’ list. I made this tonight for my husband and 4 year old. No bacon sorry but we put fried eggs on top and the 4 year old was a happy little person.
    Thank you so much for the recipe.
    New Zealand family :)

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Thanks so much Emma!

Trysha — March 29, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I’ve made this at least once a week (sometimes twice) for the past month. My husband and kids love it. I make a double batch so we have enough leftovers for his lunch or I make it just have some in the fridge. It goes quick in our house!

Molly — November 14, 2011 @ 3:17 am

I made this sans bacon, adding pan-roasted cherry tomatoes. I know, sacrilege! :-)

lucidwiki.com — April 30, 2013 @ 8:56 pm

It’s perfect time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I could
    I wish to suggest you some interesting things or
    advice. Maybe you could write next articles
    referring to this article. I wish to read more things about it!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Warm White Bean and Spinach Salad | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Quinoa with Blood Orange and Basil Recipe: Gluten Free Side Salad Dish — Family Fresh Cooking

3. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Bacon Peanut Butter Cups

4. Pingback: Bacon Apple Farro | Heather's Dish

5. Pingback: White Bean and Quinoa Salad « Deliciosity

6. Pingback: White Bean and Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon and Mushrooms « Just the Tip

7. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 85 | my kitchen addiction