Help!

I have no idea what to make for dinner tonight.

In staying with our Sunday night comfort food tradition, I want to make something delicious but am fresh out of ideas. I have this gorgeous, giant whole grain loaf of bread from Delallo’s, plus some chicken, lean ground beef, mushrooms that need used before they die, salad greens (an alien must have taken me grocery shopping), and sweet + yukon gold potatoes to name a few ingredients.

What would you make?

37 Responses to “What’s For Dinner?”

VeggieGirl — February 27, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Sandwiches! :)

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 27, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

Paninis are always good!

Evan Thomas — February 27, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

How about open faced beef and mushroom subs with a thick gravy sauce?

Skinny Sushi — February 27, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

Chop up the mushrooms and put them in a pan with butter to cook through. Bake the chicken with some salt and garlic, top with the mushrooms. Serve with oven fries and a side salad.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 27, 2011 @ 6:50 pm

Hmmm…a sort of bruschetta with mushrooms, tomatoes and greens?

Tracy — February 27, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

You should make that! It would use your mushrooms and then you can make mashed potatoes to serve the stew over and then crisp up the bread and use it to sop up the delicious sauce that is over it. And if you want, make a little salad on the side.

Heidi — February 27, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Stroganoff maybe?

Laura — February 27, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Maybe you could pull off a shepherd’s pie with the ground beef, mushrooms, and potatoes? Then have salad and fresh bread and butter. Sounds like comfort to me! Or meatball and mushroom sandwiches with homemade fries and salad.

Melissa — February 27, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

I would do a French bread style pizza. Slice the bread crosswise and scoop out the middle (I would say use it for something like breadcrumbs, but who am I kidding? I would eat it). Then, saute some mushrooms and onions, mix with a few diced tomatoes (canned would work), and put the filling into the bread. Cheese on top (I love fontina, but whatever you have) and into the oven for a few minutes to melt it . . . yum. Salad on the side. And a few slabs of chicken for your hubs. ;)

Staci R. — February 27, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

I would use the ground beef and mushrooms to make the base for a shepherd’s pie, top with a mash of both sweet and Yukon potatoes. Serve with some of the bread and a green salad.

Cook the chicken tonight too, and use it with the rest of the bread for sandwiches tomorrow.

Hope that helps!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — February 27, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Grilled cheese with tomato soup. Except use fun cheeses and add some roasted red peppers to the soup.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 27, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

Forget all that stuff and make my spiced white chocolate popcorn! Who says you can’t have popcorn for dinner? I do it more often that I’d like to admint…;)

• Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 27th, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

Ok, ok, if you must use the above, make a chicken, white wine, and mushroom stew with a side salad or greens drizzled with oil and balsamic vinegar and you can make herbed croustini (for dipping into the stew) with the bread!

Katylin — February 27, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Chicken marsala with a hunk of that bread (garlic bread?)? Or meatball subs with some mushrooms thrown into your tomato sauce? That delicious looking bread alone is making me hungry! I think I could just eat that and be happy.

Tanya Hollas — February 27, 2011 @ 7:05 pm

Having the same problem here…. If you’re going comfort food I say some meatloaf, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes. I’ve got chicken (smoked & deboned) if anyone has suggestions!

Julia — February 27, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

Grilled chicken sandwiches with sauteed mushrooms. Top with salad greens and some sort of herb mayo. And roasted potatoes on the side. Sounds great to me!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — February 27, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

Hmm…maybe a grilled chicken and mushroom panini with that wonderful bread and a side salad???

Sana — February 27, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

Bacon.

• vann — February 27th, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

hahahaa!

Jessica - Dinners, Desserts & More — February 27, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I agree with the panini suggestions. Grilled chicken with mushrooms, some kind of cheese, and an herbed mayo… mmmm… I have been on such a sandwich kick lately.

Jenna — February 27, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

How about dipping some of that delicious bread in olive oil and basamic vinegar? Or make bruschetta with that bread! I would make a pasta dish to go along with it? Nothing says comfort food like pasta. Maybe make chicken marsala with the mushrooms? However, sweet and yukon gold mash with chicken and sauteed wilted greens with bruschetta sounds nice too :)

vann — February 27, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

i was thinking some sort of panini with the chicken or you could do a sheppards pie with ground beef, potatoes and mushrooms. I know my man would love that!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — February 27, 2011 @ 8:12 pm

You should make meat sauce with the ground beef and mushrooms and serve it with pasta. Make a salad with the greens and use the bread for garlic bread or just toast it with butter. :)

emily — February 27, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Open faced sandwich with pesto chicken and a mushroom gravy for dinner? And taco salads (with beef chili) for lunches this week.

Katie — February 27, 2011 @ 8:21 pm

Meeker suggested that we have “bruschetta with meatballs” for dinner this week…you could pull that off with those ingredients. Maybe a salad on the side to use up those greens/mushrooms. :-)

Casey @ Chasing Casey — February 27, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

A savory bread pudding/stuffing!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — February 27, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

Make a chicken marsala. That takes care of the chicken, and mushrooms. It also pairs well with potatoes. Make a side green salad for a little color, and bread for dunking in salad dressing and marsala sauce. Sounds great to me! :)

Alexa @ SimpleEats — February 27, 2011 @ 8:44 pm

Potato, chicken and mushroom stew with bread for dipping?

Hannah — February 27, 2011 @ 9:44 pm

I’d make a chocolate block to myself in front of a movie ;)

Jess — February 27, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

This includes basically none of your ingredients, but this is what I’m having:

Jess — February 27, 2011 @ 10:30 pm

i would make some sort of salad, with that delicious bread on the side.

Doniree — February 27, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Bread+beef+mushrooms = french dip? With a side salad. That’s what I’d do :)

Briana — February 27, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

I am making a healthier version of fried chicken with a mushroom gravy and green beans! http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000000491543

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 28, 2011 @ 2:18 am

Mmm, meatballs in mushroom sauce served with roasted potatoes!!

1. Pingback: The Outcome. | How Sweet It Is