Ask and you shall receive!

You’ve probably heard me ranting and raving about how I’m obsessed with mushrooms now.

People! This is huge. This is a vegetable. A vegetable that I like. A vegetable that I not only like, but that I really, really love. If this can happen with mushrooms, maybe it can happen with something ugly and green like broccoli?

I won’t hold my breath.

This is the dinner that I made on Sunday night after asking for your suggestions. It was so delicious that I made it again Monday for lunch and dinner. With most recipes I burn out quickly – loving them so much, making them too often, and getting sick of them within a week.

But this is different. I’m still craving this meal. I’m craving the mushrooms on the bread. The warm, toasty, buttery and mouth-watering bread. Mushrooms. Wine. Butter.

Talk about comfort food.

I can’t even think about anything else. Mushrooms and butter and wine and bread on the brain, 24/7. Can you tell?

All I gotta say is that you must try this soon. And if you don’t eat chicken, make the mushrooms, grill the bread, devour the meal. You should probably add extra butter and wine too.

Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Grilled Herb Bread

serves 2

4 thinly sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/3 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 tablespoons butter

1/4 onion, chopped

2 cups sliced mushrooms

1/3 cup white wine

bread of your choice (I used whole grain talonica bread)

salt and pepper

for bread: 1/4-1/2 cup butter, softened + herbs of your choice (I used parsley, basil and thyme – a good sprinkling of each)

Season the chicken breasts (make sure they are very thin or slice them thin!) liberally with salt and pepper. Add the flour in a bowl and dredge the chicken in the flour – you want a very thin and light coating on the chicken. Heat a large skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on each side, about 3-4 minutes per side. While the chicken is browning, chop the onion and get out your mushrooms. Slice your bread as desired. Combine 1/4 cup of butter and herbs of your choice (you really can’t go wrong here! I’ve used dried and fresh, just add a sprinkling to the butter.) and mix. Spread on one side of bread. At this point you can either use a grill pan and grill the bread buttered-side down first, or heat your broiler and set the bread underneath for 30-90 seconds.

Once chicken is done cooking (after about 7-8 minutes total), set it aside on a plate. Turn heat down to medium and add 1 tablespoon butter and onion. Saute for 1 minute. Add the remaining butter (2 tablespoons) and mushrooms. Stir and saute for 6-8 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Add in wine to deglaze the pan and stir well to remove brown bits from bottom of the pan. Add chicken back in with the mushrooms.

Serve hot with bread for dipping. I made a lot of bread and refrigerated it – it was still great the next day! You can also do this with thicker chicken breasts, your total recipe time will just take a bit longer.

I think you have dinner tonight!

185 Responses to “Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Grilled Herb Bread.”

Deanna D. — March 22, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

Made this tonight. It was soooo good! I cut the chicken up after it rested and mixed it in with the mushrooms so we could spoon it easily onto the oh-so-amazing bread. Well done with this one!

Stephanie — March 29, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

I made this for dinner last night. Fabulous! Thanks for a great recipe! I e-mailed the link it to everyone I know!

Tiffiny — May 10, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

oh my goodness, this was SO good. my favorite thing i’ve cooked in a longgg time!!
    i had to use chicken broth and a little lemon instead of white wine…sadly i didn’t have any!!

Monica — May 28, 2011 @ 10:14 pm

This. Is. Great. Food. Made the bread and mushrooms tonight, YUM!

maria — July 5, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

not to be obnoxious, but mushrooms are fungi, not vegetables. however, all the power to you for liking them!

chris — August 19, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

@ Maria I hate to be obnoxious but fungi is not a group on the food pyramid. The USDA categorizes Mushrooms as vegetables because it is low in protein and fat but high in water. So mushrooms are good and they are good for you because the fall under vegetables.

janet — September 20, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Instead of white wine, would it be possible to use red sherry wine ??

• Jessica — September 20th, 2011 @ 7:08 am

Martha — October 2, 2011 @ 12:06 am

You are a piece of heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this delicious meal. I understand now how you ate it several days in a row… :) I can’t wait to show it to my sister who, like you, just recently realized that she loves mushrooms and that there is hope in the veggie world. Thanks! M

Michele — October 14, 2011 @ 5:40 pm

eating this as i speak (type?)
    i almost fainted with happiness when i tasted it <3

& i'm glad you've moved up to mushrooms! maybe you'll be able to brave broccoli soon :D

Chelsey — January 9, 2012 @ 7:01 pm

I imagine this is somewhat healthy?

• Judy — December 1st, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

Until you add the wonderful butter. Sigh with yearning

Lindsey — February 15, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I made this last night for Valentine’s dinner with the boyfriend…so good! Thanks for the recipe!!

Megan — April 5, 2012 @ 9:38 pm

I loved it! My picky 9 year old loved it! My boyfriend was impressed! I’ve always had trouble cooking chicken and this recipe got me over my fear! I’ve made it 4 times and each time it’s a success!

Christine — April 12, 2012 @ 10:03 pm

I made this tonight for dinner and… WOW! This is one of the best meals! My husband and sons loved it!! Thanks for the “hit” :)

Jorge — April 15, 2012 @ 9:34 pm

I made this with a few substitutions. Cooked the chicken the same way, seasoning the flour w/ garlic and onion powder. I didn’t have yellow onion, so I sauteed some baby red potato slices until crispy and then cooked the mushrooms and chicken according to the recipe. Garnished with green onion and a gravy dip on the side. Delicious!

Diana — May 7, 2012 @ 1:00 pm

I made this last night. I tried to cut down on the butter and sub olive oil for the chicken saute… and I used fresh cilantro and a mix of green and sweet onions for the saute as well. I also added garlic powder for the chicken. I didn’t get much of a gravy dip, but the herb bread was so yummy it didn’t matter much. Good recipe!

Sharon Lippert — May 8, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

This is exactly the kind of chicken/shoom dinner I was looking for! I’m out of wine… should I use a splash of beer or vodka instead?
    Can’t wait to cook this tonight!

Linda Thomas — June 7, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

Made this tonight- delicious! I used the oyster mushrooms that I grew with a kit and filled it out with baby portebellos. Great, simple dish. I’ll be making this again. Thank you so much!

k — August 22, 2012 @ 7:42 pm

Try this version of broccoli… is delicious! In fact you can roast pretty much any veggie this way. Wash and place cut broccoli florets into a baking dish- any kind really, I use a round cake pan- sprinkle with garlic powder and onion powder (optional) and sea salt. Drizzle with olive oil generously. Bake 350 degrees for 40 min or so, or when tender with fork- this depends on how big the florets are. If it gets dried out add more olive oil. SO good!

Violet — February 13, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Hello! I’m new to the cooking world but chicken is the only thing I know how to make and make it well!. REALLY want to try this but it seems a little complicated. Want to make it tomorrow for the BF for V-Day.. anything I can substitute the wine for (non-alchy?) to make it taste just as good? Please email me!! And for the bread, you put the butter and greens in the skillet and just let it sit there? So confused!! :/

Violet — February 13, 2013 @ 10:37 pm

Also want to make it with thicker chicken breast so it’s more filling. I don’t mind the extra cook time… but do you recommend it?

Ilene — March 17, 2013 @ 8:00 am

This was fantastic! i didnt have bread, just used rice instead of bread. Delicious, thank you!

Dana — August 27, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

I made this- YUM!!! Added a couple of table spoons of capers when I served it! Thanks we love this!

Christopher Rutt — November 5, 2013 @ 11:21 pm

I made this tonight and it was food sex. Literally had a food orgasm! Thank you, you kind and generous soul!

Cookaholic — February 8, 2014 @ 3:12 pm

Made this today. Just delicious, all the ingredients combine together perfectly!!

Alisa — March 19, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

My family loved this. I never knew you could buy chicken already sliced thin like this! It’s so much faster on the cook top. The bread makes all the difference.. Even my non whole wheat eaters loved it grilled. This is going to be my go to dish for company.

Tamiko — March 25, 2014 @ 5:59 pm

I just made this tonight and it was scrumptious! I forgot to dredge it through the flour, but it was still so good. Thank you for the recipe.

Jeremy J — April 3, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

I made this last night, just got through eating it in fact. The family loved it, especially my little 3 yr old girl. I didnt have any white wine so I used chicken stock with a little ‘liquid aminos’ thrown in. This ones going in my recipe book.

Judy S — April 20, 2014 @ 1:57 pm

Magnificent! I was looking for a non-creamy chicken and mushroom recipe. I found it. It was fairly easy and tasted fantastic. I added garlic, which I tend to do to anything with onions and those kinds of spices and herbs. My husband was in 7th heaven. He ate 2 pieces and the last piece made a sandwich! He asked for it again as soon as he finished it.
    So chicken replaces our traditional Easter dinner today. Thanks for the recipe!
    Ps. Who cares if mushroom is fungi. It tastes good.

Judy S — April 20, 2014 @ 2:01 pm
    Nutritional benefits of mushrooms

Barbs — November 7, 2014 @ 2:55 pm

Chicken Marsala :) Good Stuff :)

Kim — March 26, 2015 @ 11:10 am

I’m making this tonight – it looks so good! FYI I recently discovered that mushrooms can be a good source of vitamin D too and also recently read that you can increase the amount of Vitamin D in your shrooms by leaving them out in the sunshine for a couple hours before you eat and/or cook them because they absorb vitamin D through their skin just like we do. :)

1. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday: Open Sesame! | kissmybroccoli

2. Pingback: Yum Alert: Caramelized Chicken with Mushrooms & Grilled Bread | The Luxury Spot

3. Pingback: Saturday Stumbles: March 5, 2011 | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

4. Pingback: For Breakfast. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: drooling over you! — Eat, Live, Run

6. Pingback: Last Night’s Dinner « The Bookworm Wife

7. Pingback: Half Marathon PR, Cookies Made in a Spaghetti Pot, A Trip to Texas and Everything in Between. « 321delish

8. Pingback: Baguette+Mushrooms « From Our Family Kitchen

9. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #66 – Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce « Ella Rose Entertaining

10. Pingback: Nearly Wordless Wednesday {Giveaway Post]

11. Pingback: Crispy Portobello Mushroom Fries | How Sweet It Is

12. Pingback: National Wine Day « The Triple Dish

13. Pingback: Recipes I’m Loving Right Now : Fueling for Fitness

14. Pingback: Whole Wheat Fontina Portobello Pizza. | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: The Week Wrap Up « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

16. Pingback: Root Beer Float Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Caramelized Mushroom and Chicken with Buttery Herb Bread

18. Pingback: Embarrassingly Easy Grilled Sourdough with Buttery Herbs, Heirloom Tomatoes + a Honey Drizzle. | How Sweet It Is

19. Pingback: Caramelized Chicken with Mushroom Sauce and Grilled Herb Bread | Home Recipes Catalog

20. Pingback: #WCW | lolavida