Look what I found!

A bunch of delicious, vibrant cilantro. And it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg.
Since I had lots of limes left over from the lemon lime cake I made a few weeks ago, I knew the first step would be to combine the cilantro with lime.

Cilantro reminds me of delicious Mexican food (my favorite cuisine!), which in turn reminds me of margaritas. I could use a margarita considering there is a hefty amount of snow piled outside my window.
A big margarita. Huge.

And because I have a dangerous hummus obsession, I knew some form of the bean dip was on the agenda.
But after I dumped nearly all of the ingredients into my food processor, I realized we were out of olive oil. Totally out.

Who am I?

Luckily, I instantly remembered that I had some persian lime olive oil leftover from my shopping trip this summer. Love.

It had to be fate.

Apparently I’ve got Mr. How Sweet hooked on hummus all of a sudden. Turns out that beans are on his okay-to-binge list, which means that my favorite tub of hummus is lasting only about 4 hours these days instead of 24. It’s forcing me to make it at home now much more often. Plus, he doesn’t smell so hot.
And he is still forcing me to eat brownies. How dare he.

[print_this]

Cilantro Lime White Bean Hummus

makes about 1 cup

1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 clove of garlic, minced (more or less, depending on your tastes)

1/4 cup cilantro

1 teaspoon lime zest

1 tablespoon lime juice

1/3 cup olive oil (+ more to reach desired consistency)

salt and pepper to taste

Combine beans, cilantro, lime zest, juice and garlic in the food processor and blend until mixed. With the processor on, stream in olive oil until desired consistency is reached. I blended mine for a good 3-4 minutes to make it super creamy. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with pita chips!

[/print_this]

Gotta go! My cabana boy will be here any minute with my margarita.

158 Responses to “Cilantro Lime White Bean Hummus.”

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 7, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Ohh this spiced up version of hummus sounds fabulous! I bet the cilantro and hummus give it a nice kick! And I just love the color :)

kate@ahealthypassion — March 7, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

ooh yes I love anything that resembles a margarita!

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana — March 7, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

What a fun, easy way to pep up white bean dip (or hummus). Yay!

Rachel — March 7, 2011 @ 3:54 pm

Wow, that look great – so many of my favorite ingredients in one! I love Mexican. I love spice. I love hummus. I will have to remember this recipe…thanks for sharing!

Also, you take beautiful pictures. I always want to jump through the screen and eat whatever you are making.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Thanks Rachel!

Casey @ Insatiably Healthy — March 7, 2011 @ 3:56 pm

This looks like it could use a margarita and hefty side of tortilla chips!

Feast on the Cheap — March 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Yes! the more cilantro the better, IMO

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 7, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

You are by far one of the funniest bloggers!! I love it!
    Hummus is the best thing since sliced bread!! I can see this smeared on a pita bread and stuffed with Carne Asada or something…hmmmm…is it wrong that I think about dinner while I’m eating breakfast?

Kim in MD — March 7, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

I love hummus, and this one looks amazing! It WOULD go perfect with a margarita! ;-)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — March 7, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Yum!! This looks amazing. I am obsessed with cilantro. Like, actually obsessed. I go through 2 bunches a week.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

I believe it. It’s so good!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — March 7, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I love this. It would be perfect with some mojitos. Luckily, my cabana boy knows how to make them wonderfully and likes to walk around with his shirt off. I’ll invite you over when he gets off from work. ;)

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

I’m in!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 7, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Oh that looks creamy! White beans are my second favorite bean to puree… Second to chickpeas of course! I miss it when my hummus runs out. It’s a sad day.

Moni'sMeals — March 7, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

I am a huge fan of white bean hummus! This looks so good and fresh.

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Liffe — March 7, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

That looks so good! I love anything with cilantro :-)

Kacy — March 7, 2011 @ 5:04 pm

That is a really creative spin on hummus, it sounds delicious!

Ashley — March 7, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

I reallllly do not like cilantro…but I’m thinking a basil lime or basil lemon would be deeelicious!! :)

Salah@myhealthiestlife — March 7, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

this looks awesome. ANything with cilantro and lime you’ve got me won over :-)

Anne @ Baking Me — March 7, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I love cilantro and lime, it reminds me of summer. I could go for a margarita or maybe a G&T would compliment this dish nicely.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

I think you’re on to something!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — March 7, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

I am a white bean lover!!! :-)

Kim @Leon as in Napoleon — March 7, 2011 @ 6:02 pm

Hmm white bean hummus… now that I have never tried. It looks so good and it will give me an excuse to use my food processor! Great post :)

Check out my mini pumpkin pie with shout outs crust! http://leonasinnapoleon.blogspot.com/2011/03/mini-pumpkin-shout-outs.html

Mama Pea — March 7, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I think you could mix dirt into hummus and I would eat it.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

See, that’s what I do with veggies. Because to me, veggies = dirt. And taste like it too.

Annette@EnjoyYourHealthyLife — March 7, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

I adore cilantro! This is totally on my must-make list–thanks :)

val — March 7, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

I love the flavor combinations!!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 7, 2011 @ 8:03 pm

I love cilantro lime… and I also love hummus. This sounds YUMMY.

Katie@Cozydelicious — March 7, 2011 @ 8:11 pm

Oooh, this looks fantastic – and green! So fresh and perfect. I bet it would be fantastic as a stuffing for roasted mushrooms – I’m in hors d’oeurves mode so that is what popped into my head!

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

That sounds amazing!!

This looks amazing. Never had hummus with anything other than garbanzo’s — that I am aware of anyway.

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Ah! You must try. I actually like white bean hummus better.

Brittany — March 7, 2011 @ 8:47 pm

This looks amazing! I plan on making it with dinner tonight. I have one question though- When I make home made hummus I always peel the skin off of the chickpeas first to get a good smooth texture. I have never made it with white beans and I was wondering if you peel them first or not. Thanks!

Can’t wait to try it!

mary (sisters running the kitchen) — March 7, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

this sounds so amazing! Thanks for the recipe! I’ve been wanting to try my own hand at cilantro lime hummus because panera puts it on their mediterranean veggie sandwich! I love it and I bet this is even better! Can’t wait to try it.

Blond Duck — March 7, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

Mexican hummus? Oh shit. I need to go to the store.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 7, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

The recipe AND the photo look so gorgeous! :D This sounds so yummy. Mex is def. one of the yummiest! I have a question jess, do you use a lightbox?

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Thank you! Nope, no lightbox. I shoot everything in natural light.

Lora @cakeduchess — March 7, 2011 @ 11:46 pm

Cilantro and lime in a hummus with my favorite beans…delicious! I bet the flavors together are incredible! :)

Baking Serendipity — March 8, 2011 @ 1:45 am

I just finished a container of cilantro avocado hummus from Costco and am totally ready for your cilantro hummus already :) Yum!

Ashley — March 8, 2011 @ 1:53 am

I’m obsessed with hummus too. Have you tried horseradish hummus? Tangy, zippy – oh my!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 8, 2011 @ 2:15 am

Oh dang this looks good. So much so that I would probably lick the dish clean!

Stacy — March 8, 2011 @ 5:51 am

Fresh outta white beans, I made this today with chickpeas instead…SO yum!

• Jessica — March 8th, 2011 @ 11:44 am

So glad you liked it!

Nicole — March 8, 2011 @ 11:48 am

I’ve just whizzed this up. WOW.
    Going to have it with some roast veggies (sorry) so I feel nice and virtuous for my pancake-a-rama tonight!

Katie@Just Because Katie — March 9, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

Cilantro makes everything yummy!!!

Ashley — March 12, 2011 @ 11:15 am

This looks FANTASTIC! Somebody had better buy the food processor on our wedding registry just so I can make this … and your white chocolate PB …

Stephanie — March 12, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Hey Sweetness!! Just made your dip! Yum yum yum…. let’s hope my guests love it too! Just figured that I forgot the garlic though. Will rasp some as we speak and add it cos I’m sure it will give it the right taste.
    Wanna join in the in the world’s first International Cooking Club??!!
    Hope you do cos you have some great ideas that need to be spread in the world! :)
    Ciao ciao
    Chef Steph

Olivia — March 25, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

This sounds absolutely fabulous and I’m definitely trying it out tomorrow! I’m OBSESSED with hummus no joke (2 tubs a day sometimes…wow!)

Tracy — March 27, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

I just made this. SO GOOD!!!!! Super Easy! Thanks for the post!

Stephanie — April 9, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I just made this…for breakfast. Yum!

Ellen — May 23, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

I made this, using dry beans (one cup) and kept the same amounts of the other ingredients as the recipe called for. I cooked the beans in a pressure cooker, which took about 10 to 12 minutes, after soaking them overnight. I also reduced the oil to keep the fat and calorie content lower. Instead I added water a tablespoon at a time to get the consistency right. I think I used about 4 Tablespoons of water. It came out great.. Thanks for your wonderful invention!

Fallon — July 2, 2011 @ 5:06 pm

MMM I was going to make a jalapeno popper dip but this sounds really refreshing!

Mindy — August 1, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

I made this and it came out very bland. I even added 4 cloves of raw garlic and a good few slices of jalapeno. Mine is nowhere near as green as yours! Perhaps I used too many beans and oil and not enough other stuff? I used my own beans, not canned so the measurement wasn’t exact. But it looked about as much as a can :/

• Jessica — August 1st, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

Did you season it with salt and pepper?

• Mindy — August 1st, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

I did. Sea salt and ground pepper.

Charity — September 7, 2011 @ 11:33 am

I made this recipe and kind of combined it with this one http://www.shutterbean.com/guacamole-hummus/ last night. Turned out so delicious!! Will totally make again!

Kristi — November 21, 2011 @ 9:55 pm

Now why haven’t I thought of this? LOL Great recipe. Just whipped it up 5 mins ago! I couldn’t even wait for the flavors to merge. Y U M M Y !!!! Next time I may try it with roasted garlic….for guests, but I’m a big fan of the fresh too!

Sophie — January 9, 2012 @ 12:31 pm

Just made a version of this. I was out of lime, so I used lime juice concentrate. I didn’t have cilantro on hand, so I used cilantro herb paste. I used about 1/4 cup of olive oil and skipped the salt and pepper since the other ingredients gave it enough zest. Maybe because it was a very large garlic clove. It was delish! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Marie Leon — January 25, 2012 @ 3:35 pm

I love making hummus. And this sounds delicious. I’ve always used lemon juice for hummus, but this Lime juice will really give it a kick. Another great hummus recipe i found is here http://www.chefmorgan.com/soybean-hummus

Thanks Marie

Siri in Maryland — February 4, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

Found this on StumbleUpon, along with your buffalo chicken dip, and beer mac & cheese- all of which I’m making for the Super Bowl. All I can say is I’m in LOVE. You are a genius! I love cilantro and garlic, and have never been into hummus because I really don’t like chickpeas. The white beans are perfect, the texture is wonderful and the lime really makes the rest of the flavors pop. This is to die for. :)

Heather — February 5, 2012 @ 3:56 pm

I just made this for Super Bowl Sunday and it’s delicious!! My husband loves it!