What better way to celebrate my Irish heritage than with a little chocolate and irish cream?

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

In cookie form of course.

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

With a beverage on the side.

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

At least it’s not green beer.

Bad memories.

I shiver at the thought.

This is one of the only ways I will ever drink coffee.

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Oh. I’ll drink it like this too. Off of a soggy cookie.

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

These cookies are a perfect treat for St. Patrick’s Day and are so soft, chocolaty and delicious. You could try other flavors of Bailey’s too. You can add more chocolate chips or even add a touch of mint. You can dip each cookie in straight Bailey’s on the rocks.

I highly suggest baking them today, in anticipation of St. Patrick’s Day. Lots of taste testing is required and you’ll have to do your fair share of quality control. Life is tough.

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon instant coffee powder

8 tablespoons Bailey’s Irish Cream liquer

1 cup white chocolate chips

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add in Bailey’s one tablespoon at a time. Add flour, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate dough for 4-6 hours.

Roll into balls and set on baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

[/print_this]

Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Of course you definitely don’t need any special holiday to bake these cookies. No Irish-ness required.

152 Responses to “Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies.”

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 14, 2011 @ 1:42 pm

I love cookies & coffee so it is a win win with these gorgeous cookies. Yes?? xo

Kristen — March 14, 2011 @ 1:58 pm

Heaven help me… those look fantastic!

Kristine — March 14, 2011 @ 2:21 pm

Do you recommend any special flour, or is all purpose ok?

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Yep – all purpose!

Kim in MD — March 14, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

You had me at Bailey’s! These look to die for!

Anne @ Baking Me — March 14, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Yum, these look so good! I haven’t had Bailey’s for a long time, I’m sure there was a reason, but I can’t remember so I will have to try it again :)

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Yes, it’s definitely time to try again. :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) — March 14, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Ah, green beer. I surprisingly didn’t find any this weekend. Usually it’s everywhere you turn around St Pat’s in Chicago! Ah well. Hang on- they have different flavors of Bailey’s? How did I not know that?

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 2:53 pm

I don’t know if I’d like any of them… I think there is a caramel and mint? I love the original.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 14, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Wow they look extremely fudgy! and chewy..I have a question Jess, what kind of lens do you use for the cam? Have a glorious day <3

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Thanks Ellie! :) I use a 35mm f/1.8.

Julie @SavvyEats — March 14, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

If it contains Bailey’s, it must be a winner!

Nicole — March 14, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

I’ve given up coffee for Lent. But surely hidden coffee in cookies doesn’t count… And then I’ll HAVE to dip them in Guinness!

Mary — March 14, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

These are amazing and I don’t know what could be better for the holiday. This is my first visit to your blog so I’ve spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I’m so glad I did. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Lauren — March 14, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

LOVE Baileys. LOVE it….

That being said…are these cookies crunchy or soft? I’m guessing crunchy?

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Soft!

I’m not much of a crunchy cookie fan. :)

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — March 14, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

I think (I HOPE!) Green beer and I have parted ways since college. It was never very good to me ;)

These look fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah — March 14, 2011 @ 6:33 pm

The dough is currently chilling in my fridge! I used mint chocolate Bailey’s because it’s all I had. And now my Bailey’s bottle is empty…what does that say about me?!
    P.s. you make being jobless with a boyfriend in Africa a little more fun :) I bake everyday!

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

Let me know if you like them!!

• Sarah — March 14th, 2011 @ 11:18 pm

I liked them so much that I ate three of them, one from each batch. Now I can’t wait to bring them out to friends tomorrow! lol I hope to one day get to a place where I don’t need to eat everything I bake…but I think that’s a long ways away.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 14, 2011 @ 6:51 pm

I love how dark those cookies are!!! They look so awesome!

Alexa — March 14, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

Is it bad that I want to nix the whole “giving up chocolate for Lent thing” just because of these?

• Jessica — March 14th, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

Not at all!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — March 14, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

Now this is my husband’s kind of cookie! Bet he would love these. Thanks for sharing, Jessica!

Hannah — March 14, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I’m a ridiculous pansy when it comes to liquers and spirits, so the idea of baking with Bailey’s sounds brilliant! All the taste, none of the burny burny alcohol throat!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 14, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

I have some Baileys in my fridge to make this! That is if I don’t drink it all first….

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 14, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

I love anything with Irish cream! These just look simply and utterly delicious!

Christine @ Bookishly Boisterous — March 14, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

Awesome, I have a whole bottle in my fridge (I at first typed “in my purse”- geez, I should not admit that, haha).

Vanessa — March 14, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

1. Your blog ALWAYS makes me hungry!
    2. Your recipes all look fabulous!
    3. Aside from Reasons 1 & 2, I think I read your blog because it makes me feel slightly less guilty about the number of grocery trips I make per week : )

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 14, 2011 @ 11:44 pm

This is definitely my kind of cookie! I love Bailey’s in my coffee too :)

Stacy — March 15, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

I love Bailey’s so much that 6 years ago, I named my cat after a bottle of it I had in my kitchen. I’m pretty sure I should make these for “him” for St. Patty’s Day. =D

Ramya — March 15, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

I love you for posting this. This reminds me of my latest creation…. inspired by a monumental blackout. It’s an Irish Car Bomb…. in cake form. There are a lot of Irish Car Bomb inspired cakes out there…. but mine is the real deal. It features an Irish whiskey glaze (Bushmills 1608), Bailey’s ganache, and the stout I used in the cake is Milk Stout (Left Hand Brewing Co.)…. the combination is unparalleled! I had to do an awful lot of drinking and baking to figure out which stout and whiskey work well together! The amount of butter, heavy whipping cream, and Lindt baking bars I incorporated into this recipe would make you proud. Next time I am candying bacon and sprinkling it on top.

I’m not kidding.

I need to stop stalking your blog and make a food blog already…..

Patricia — March 16, 2011 @ 9:32 am

I didn’t have Bailey’s original so I used Bailey’s Chocolate Mint…only had 1/2 of the required cocoa so I melted Bakers 3 chocolate squares. I am shocked that there was even any cookie dough left to cook..lolol. Yummy, yummy, yummy!

Katherine — March 16, 2011 @ 9:44 am

Can you really taste the irish cream flavor?

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Yes! There is nearly a half cup of Bailey’s in the dough.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 16, 2011 @ 11:09 am

I really shouldn’t be reading this right before lunch! I feel like I could eat about a dozen of those cookies… They look amazing!

Maranda — March 16, 2011 @ 1:32 pm

This is definitely an anytime recipe…not just St. Pat’s. A love of Irish Cream is all that is required!

Dawn — March 16, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Why do you torture me? You’re ALWAYS torturing me. Of course, I keep coming back, so I guess it’s my fault. These look amazing – and are an excellent excuse to buy some Baileys.

Thank you for sharing so many delicious ideas. It’s your fault that I have root beer in the ‘fridge and an empty ice cream container in the recycling bin. I forgot how good root beer floats are. Darn you!!!!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

Hahahah!

Nicole, RD — March 16, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Heavenly…………..I put Baileys in my coffee every night when I lived in Italy :)

claire — March 16, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

Okay, so I’m looking to bake these tomorrow, except I’d like just a baileys dough -could I successfully swap cocoa for more flour and possibly omit the coffee (or not?) Or is that just a baad idea? Any tips on other chunky bits, too? I’d think more, but on a tight time scale and in desperate need of some inspiration! And cake…preferably served on cookies. With peanut butter. Always the peanut butter (experiences yet another pang as she craves the pb&j cake still on the to bake list)

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

So you don’t want a chocolate cookie at all? You could try swapping the cocoa for the same amount of flour, but I honestly have no idea how it will come out. I think you can easily just omit the coffee. If you try it, let me know! And by chunky bits do you mean adding more chocolate chips to the dough??

Lori @ RecipeGirl — March 17, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Love this recipe! I was trying to think of a way to get Bailey’s into cookies, but all I could come up with was cupcakes.

Allison — March 17, 2011 @ 11:44 am

I made these yesterday and brought them in to work (because that’s how I roll…I brought in rum balls for the holidays) and everyone is RAVING about them. They were so easy to make too, but they’ve got great flavor and are so moist and fudgey–even the next day! Thanks for the great recipe!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

I am so glad they are a hit!

blaire — March 17, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

hi! thanks for the recipe! i started making them and failed to notice the 4-6 hours of refrigerating. do you think i could skip that or is it totally necessary? boyfriend will be home in a bit! help! thanks again!! :)

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 1:57 pm

Hi Blaire! I really would not skip the refrigeration. If you do, the cookies will probably be really flat and thin. Can you at least try refrigerating them for 1-2 hours?

• blaire — March 17th, 2011 @ 2:05 pm

i think i can swing it! :) thanks again!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Let me know how they turn out!

Martha — March 17, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Cookies and Baileys – two of my favorite things!

Brooke — March 21, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

I’m making my 2nd and 3rd batches right now. The first was intended as a gift for a friend who’s birthday is St. Patrick’s day, but after a few ‘tester’ cookies, the rest of the batch seems to have been lost on it’s way to her. (location? in mah belleh!!!) My husband and his friend even took a break from building the deck to sip earl grey tea and eat 10 of these in a sitting!! They are now my new go-to cookie recipe, a nice change from my regular chocolate chip.

Erin Hayes — June 3, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

I made this according to the directions for round one and it came out excellent. Loved it. BUT I like tweaking things. So I added a bag of the milk chocolate and mint chips in place of the white chocolate and milk chocolate and I added Bailey’s with chocolate and mint. These came out awesome! My only complaint is that the mint chips definitely over power the baileys, which you can taste in the original recipe much better. I’ll have to keep messing with it to find a good mint/baileys combo!

Lindsay — December 15, 2011 @ 7:37 pm

Can the Bailey’s be replaced with the Bailey’s Coffee Creamer for a non-alcoholic version? I’d love to make them for my work holiday luncheon but alcohol is frowned upon in schools ;)

• Jessica — December 15th, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

I never thought of that, but I bet it totally could!! Let me know how they turn out. It may even work better because it’s probably a little thicker.

Christina Marie — December 22, 2011 @ 1:53 pm

does this dough have to be chilled or can you mix, scoop and bake?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

Yep you must refrigerate – 4 to 6 hours. If not, they will probably be super thin.

Anonymous — February 18, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

I am currently searching for a brilliant cookie recipe for our Irish school fair. These cookies look like heaven above! But I have a few questions….
    Would they be any good with icing? We want to decorate them, to make them look like leprechauns and shamrocks.
    Would they hold their shape if we cut them into shapes?
    Is the Bailey’s quite strong?
    Would they still taste good gluten free?
    I think that’s all! I’m very happy to have found this recipe :)
    God bless,
    (please reply soon)
    Many thanks :D xx

• Anonymous — February 18th, 2012 @ 9:08 pm

i was just looking through the comments and I saw someone’s that thought about using bailey’s coffee creamer, I haven’t used it before but it should work a treat! 1 question down , 3 to go! If anyone has the answer or a suggestion to the other questions, it would be very much appreciated if you could share it with me! :)

• Jessica — February 19th, 2012 @ 9:23 am

I’m sure they would be good with icing. I’m honestly not positive if they would hold their shape if cut, but I don’t see why not. The Bailey’s in this recipe is not very strong and as for gluten-free – I am not familiar with any way of making them gluten free nor have I tried, so I can’t say for sure!

• Anonymous — February 19th, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

Thank you very much for replying! I just love the look of these cookies, and I’m sure that we will be able to experiment with them to see if it works out! Yes you don’t cone across a lot of gluten free people, but my dad has been gluten free for a couple years now, so all the dinners are gluten free and most other meals are as well :) you can purchase gluten free flour, pasta, cereal, bars, bread and most other kinds of wheat containing things from pretty much any supermarket ! :D

• Anonymous — February 19th, 2012 @ 2:47 pm

Oh and also, how long do they keep for?

Meghan — June 2, 2012 @ 10:47 am

I assembled these last night and let them chill overnight. When baking them they don’t seem to be as dark as yours and they didn’t flatten out but too on more of a mound shape. I swear I did everything your directions said. Any ideas or suggestions?

…Otherwise they still taste delicious!

Kathy — August 15, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

OMG!!! These are divine. I could hardly stay out of them when they came out of the oven. Eating them warm was pure heaven. I will be honest I didn’t let the dough set up and get cold in the fridge. Just scooped and baked when I got the batter made. These are probably one of my favorite cookies. You did good girl.

Chris — November 30, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Thanks Jenn, Les, Andi! Still feeling kinda blah but betetr than last week.Les, hope you get over your cold soon. No fun.Kelly, I hope your allergies clear up soon.Yes, I rarely have problems with Blogger (fingers crossed) but I’ve been using Firefox for awhile so I’ll let it take the credit.

lindsay — January 15, 2013 @ 4:13 pm

i am already searching for st. patrick’s day desserts for this year (i am too excited, as usual) and this is perfect! i usually make irish car bomb cupcakes but i’ve gotten annoyed at how popular they have become… it seems everyone makes them now… so here i was searching for irish coffee cookies, and these just look amazing. thinking about making a whiskey chocolate ganache to dip half of each cookie in…

Heidi — January 29, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

These are amazing! I didn’t have any all purpose flour left so I used whole wheat and I didn’t have chocolate chips. I didn’t chill the dough for the first pan of them and they turned out the same as the chilled ones. The chilled dough was definitely easier to work with though. Thanks for the great recipe! I think these are my favorite cookies now!

Katie — March 11, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

Hi I was planning on making this dough tonight to bake the cookies tomorrow….was thinking of saving some of the dough for the end of the week. Do you think if I roll the dough into balls and freeze it the cookies will be ok? I will just let the dough defrost before baking. Thanks!

1. Pingback: Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies | Foodbeast Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies | The Premiere Food News Resource

2. Pingback: St. Patricks Day Food « The Triple Dish

3. Pingback: Everybody’s Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! | Chocolate & Wine

4. Pingback: Forgetful | Simple Eats

5. Pingback: Double Fudge Irish Cream Cookies | Beegs.com

6. Pingback: St. Patty’s and College Hoops! | She's Going The Distance

7. Pingback: Bailey’s Double Chocolate Chip Cookies « Shanna Like Banana's Blog

8. Pingback: Where Oh Where Has My Little Blog Gone… « Wooly Mama

9. Pingback: Indulge. | Domestiphobia

10. Pingback: a spoonful of sugar « Blogs By Tara

11. Pingback: Day 3: Double Chocolate Mint Irish Cream Cookies | My Urban Oven

12. Pingback: Day 5: Peppermint Fudge Cookies | My Urban Oven

13. Pingback: Mudslide Cookies | Foodbeast

14. Pingback: No Bake Milk Chocolate Bailey's Truffle Cake | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: No Bake Milk Chocolate Bailey's Truffle Cake | How Sweet It Is | The Chocolate Affair

16. Pingback: bailey’s chocolate cookies | gimme some oven