This probably sets the record for the number of vegetables together in one post.

When they are mixed with some other delicious things, I can barely taste them. Which is exactly how I like it. But we aren’t talking about veggies today. We’re talking about beef!

To my surprise, I’ve only posted two other recipes with beef before. One being beef bourguignon from the Williams Sonoma cookbook, and the other being a steak salad that I just threw together for Mr. How Sweet after a long night and a bottle of sweet tea vodka. That didn’t go over too well.

This is shocking considering beef is practically a staple in our house. I’m pretty sure that if we had to leave our home immediately and only take three items, Mr. How Sweet would grab protein bars, a Waylon Jenning’s CD, and steak out of the freezer. Oh, and as many bobbleheads as he could fit in his arms.

So when I told him I wanted to try something different with beef last week, he was skeptical. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that he likes his steak grilled, plain and medium rare. Just the way manly men eat them. In case you didn’t know, manly men do collect bobbleheads.

Mr. How Sweet isn’t a fan of when I “fancy” up a dish. Often, when I place a traditional dish with my own twist in front of him, his first response is, “Ugh. Why can’t you just make this regular?”

Um… regular? Because if we ate “regular” things according to him, we’d live on plain turkey burgers have three eggs for breakfast every single morning. Snoooooze.

Thank goodness he has me to add a little spice to his culinary life. And thank goodness this dish came out delicious, so I didn’t have to admit defeat.

Sweet and Spicy Beef with Noodles

1 pound beef tenderloin, chopped

1/2 tablespoon sea salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup sliced mushrooms

1/2 onion, chopped

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 red pepper, sliced

1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeds removed

1 cup sugar snap peas

1/2 pound whole wheat pasta noodles (I used capellini)

1 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoons honey

pinch of red pepper flakes

Season beef with salt and pepper and set aside. Bring pasta water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions. While cooking pasta, heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add peppers and onions. Saute until soft, after 5-6 minutes. Add in peas, mushrooms and jalapeno and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Remove veggies from pan and set aside in a bowl. Drain pasta if finished and set aside.

Turn the heat to medium-high, and add beef. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes, or until a nice golden color develops. Add honey and soy sauce, then stir in noodles and vegetables. Sprinkle with a pinch of red pepper flakes and serve. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

Break out the stretchy pants for tomorrow. You’re going to need them.

101 Responses to “Sweet and Spicy Beef with Noodles.”

Lori Lynn — March 24, 2011 @ 4:30 pm

Looks really good. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Christina — March 24, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

What beautiful photos! So colorful and cherry- making those veggies look good enough to eat. :)

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

Thank you so much!

• Margarita — January 18th, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

Everything looks and for sure it tastes so good. What a beautiful pictures! I totally agree. What camera do you use to make them? :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats — March 24, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

Looks SO good! I love big slurpy bowls of Asian noodles. Good way to get some veggies in!

Nicole — March 24, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Well did the Mister like it? If so thats 2 for womankind…I scored one last night when mine actually liked asian salad.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:25 pm

He loved it!

Lauren — March 24, 2011 @ 6:40 pm

Can I *quietly* tell you how excited I get when you talk stretchy pants? :)

Katie @ Up Fit Creek — March 24, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

I’m not usually a huge fan of beef, but this looks absolutely phenomenal! Definitely trying it soon.

girliefriend — March 24, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

Mmm…I love when you make things for me. ;)

Sarah — March 24, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

Made this tonight, and it was delicious! Super simple and flavorful! Your pictures make everything look sooooo good!

Jun — March 25, 2011 @ 5:48 am

Looks so refreshing and delicious! Unfortunately we don’t eat beef.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 25, 2011 @ 6:02 am

This looks fantastic…and I don’t even eat meat.

Bonnie — March 25, 2011 @ 8:22 am

I recently found your blog and am absolutely loving it! These photos are great…so colorful, and your composition is spot on.

Would love it if you would post the pasta carbonara recipe. It looks to die for. :)

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 8:32 am

Thanks Bonnie! Glad you found me!

Becca — March 25, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I’ve been tossing around dinner ideas in my head all day… your dish won hands down after the picture practically popped straight off of the screen and into my mouth! EGADS… you’re AMAZING, Jess!
    Incidentally, your stuffed oreo brownies (from today’s post) are enough to send me into an instant sugar overload…so I decided to make them. After all, what’s life if you don’t break out a new pair of stretchy pants once a season?!

• Jessica — March 25th, 2011 @ 8:57 pm

I agree! :)

Maranda — March 26, 2011 @ 6:12 pm

We don’t eat nearly enough beef in this house. We tend to use ground turkey in place of beef and we eat a lot of chicken. I miss beef. Thanks for the recipe sweet lady!

Ashley — March 28, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

This recipe was so good! I made it last night but didn’t have soy sauce, so I substituted the honey and soy sauce with sweet chili sauce. It was super spicy, but really good! Thank you :)

• Jessica — March 28th, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

I love sweet chili sauce – I bet that was awesome. Glad it was a hit!

Cari — April 10, 2011 @ 12:58 am

Wow Jennifer! The photography on this meal is gorgeous and looks so yum! Would love to feature this recipe with full credits and links back to you on my site if you are keen. Please let me know by email!

• Jessica — April 10th, 2011 @ 7:57 am

Yes you can feature it!

Danielle A — June 9, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Yum! I made this a while back, and it was so so tasty! Better than ordering Chinese, and so fresh! In fact, I am going to make it this week! :)

Jenny E. — September 21, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

Loved this! Did it with chicken sausages and it was a huge hit with both me and the boyfriend- also a lover of meat! Thanks for sharing it :-)

Allison — January 4, 2012 @ 9:53 am

This was absolutely delicious – and a quick week night dinner!!!! It will definitely be on our menu again.

Whitney — March 22, 2013 @ 12:17 pm

I made this last night for dinner — soooo yummy! I used a whole box of noodles so there was a LOT leftover, but it was so great!

John — July 17, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Very nice recipe, I made this with Oyster sauce and a splash of Worcestershire sauce as had no soy sauce left. Also added some ginger to give it a kick.
    Thanks for the recipe.

1. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #55 – Sweet and Spicy Beef with Noodles « Ella Rose Entertaining

2. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – The Frazzled Edition | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

3. Pingback: Sweet and Spicy Beef with Noodles | kickittogether

4. Pingback: Sweet & Spicy Beef with Noodles | What's Cooking In My Kitchen

5. Pingback: VeggieConverter Vegan Sweet and Spicy Beef with Noodles - VeggieConverter