When it came time to choose a song for the first dance at our wedding, I had more than enough ideas in mind. Considering my daily tunes are songs sung by James Taylor, Michael Buble, Kenny G, Kenny Loggins (I like the Kenny’s), Barry Manilow, Better Midler, Rod Stewart and Luther Vandross, it’s not like the pickings were slim. (I’m a dork.) But we wanted something that wasn’t your typical wedding song, something slightly upbeat; a song that had words that we could actually relate to.

I don’t even remember how I came across it, but the minute I heard Taylor Dayne’s “I’ll Always Love You,” I was sold. Sure, my first though was how I rocked out to it on my pink and purple Pocket Rocker with my permed hair. But I put it on my iPod and plugged it in to Mr. How Sweet’s car that night when he picked me up, and upon hearing it, he teared up a little! Quite humorous, especially if you visualize the video in all of it’s 80’s glory.

There really couldn’t be a better song for us, especially since I was surely born a few decades too late and, well… Mr. How Sweet was born a decade before me. (He’s old.) We had somehow lost the song from our iPod’s, but Mr. How Sweet downloaded it two weeks ago while I was cooking dinner and we danced like we are 70 years old. (Because secretly we are.)

I absolutely love this song and get so excited every time I hear it. What song was playing (or will be, would you like to be) during your first dance?

152 Responses to “The First Dance.”

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — March 24, 2011 @ 11:08 am

Awwwwe, that is so sweet!!! I want this kind of thing for my reception! :D

xoxox
    Kathleen

Lori — March 24, 2011 @ 11:19 am

Our first dance was to “From This Moment” by Shania Twain. We’ll be married 13 years in July and that song still chokes me up every time I hear it.

Heather — March 24, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

I’m not married – but if I get so lucky… I want our first dance to be to “You and Me” by Dave Matthews Band. It’s a very romantic song – and upbeat too!

Rose — March 24, 2011 @ 1:25 pm

It’s been 12 yrs since our first dance to “All my life” by K-ci & Jojo, and still makes us teary every time we hear it :)

Carissa — March 24, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

We danced to Amazed by Lonestar. My dad taught us the “right way” to dance for the song’s rhythm. My favorite part was when he spun me around and dipped me at the end!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 24, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

Loooove picturing Mr. Sweet tearing up while watching that video. Best part of my day so far.

We danced to “My Best Friend” by Tim McGraw – I just got goosebumps thinking about it.

Tracy — March 24, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

We danced to “It’s You” by Michelle Branch.

Carol Adams — March 24, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

OMG…
    Just love that song..
    I’m old enough to be your mom but I know a good song when I hear it!
    It’s on my iPod, also!
    Love JT, too!
    Thanks for sharing the video!

Maren — March 24, 2011 @ 4:13 pm

aww cool! I am liking Somewhere Over The Rainbow!! I think it’s the one :)

Sydney — March 24, 2011 @ 8:08 pm

My first thought at the beginning of reading this one was “Wow, Mr. How Sweet is wearing long-sleeves! I haven’t seen that before, I don’t think…”

Natalie — March 24, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

My fiance and I are getting married July 17th! So excited! And our first dance is going to be the song, “Then” by Brad Paisley!!

Kristina — March 25, 2011 @ 9:05 am

What a great song!!! Our song was I Promise by Stacie Orrico, which always made me cry when I heard it. However, my husband still lets me hear it because he wanted At Last by Ella James. I never wanted a cliche song but secretly feel bad for not letting him get his way =)

Caroline — March 25, 2011 @ 10:42 am

We took swing lessons in college and decided to do something funky for our first dance, so we picked the lessons back up. We ended up dancing to Stevie Ray Vaughn ‘Pride and Joy.’ We had a 20’s themed wedding, with the exception of this song. I changed into a slinky black dress. The photos are priceless!

LB — March 25, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Ours was “Many the Miles” by Sara Bareilles. We were in a LDR, so that was our song :)

Michelle BC — March 26, 2011 @ 11:49 am

The hubs and I go married 7.31.10 and our first dance was to “In My Life” by The Beatles. We have very different tastes in music, but we can always agree on The Beatles :) And the song so sweetly sings about how although there are many people in our lives that we love, we love each other the most.

A funnier music memory from our wedding was the entrance song to the reception. We met while we were both on vacation in Vegas, so we wanted to walk into the reception to “Viva Las Vegas”. The DJ decided to pick another Elvis song for the parents and bridal party to walk in to — “A Litte Less Conversation (A Little More Action)” Slightly awkward to have my brother escorting my Nana in to that song…

Maranda — March 26, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Our song is actually a break up song. I don’t know why (maybe because we broke up 5 million times in our first year of dating) but it is. Ours is Painted On My Heart by The Cult. :-)

Tiffany — March 30, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

Feels Like Home by Chantal Krevusiak. You rarely hear it mainstream, so it’s even more special. Everything about him feels like home…even seven years later being a Mrs. 9.25.04

Teresa — April 5, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

awww how sweet! (no pun intended) This post brought me back to our first dance. My husband picked the song and I love it. Brian Littrell – Grace of my life.

Brindi — June 4, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

I know I’m a few months behind on this post, but as I’ve said before I’m new to your blog and am still devouring your archives, but I couldn’t resist posting. My husband and I have been married for 14 months now and when it came time to pick a song I had so many in my head that I couldn’t chose. However, my husband didn’t really have an opinion so I went crazy trying to pick! For the longest time it was set to be Keith Whitley’s “When You Say Nothing At All.” But then a month before the wedding I switched it to Keith Urban’s (LOVE him) “Raining On Sunday.” Because we were to be married on a Sunday, and as the Lord would have it, it rained :)

clash of clans hack tool download — November 11, 2013 @ 3:24 pm

Hi, Awesome article. There’s a trouble along with your internet site inside i . e ., might examination the following? Web browser nevertheless would be the market main as well as a large aspect of others will overlook your outstanding crafting for this reason trouble.