I’m a little bored with this classic combination in sandwich form, so I figured that eating it in cake form had to be better.

And since when is “snack cake” not a good thing? Healthy enough to eat as a snack and still taste delicious?

Sign me up.
Side note: This would be why I don’t do any of that fancy cookie decorating.

Next time I would probably add more jelly.

I am not a huge jelly fan – especially when it comes to globs of it. I like a thin smear of jelly on my pb & j’s, and nearly a whole cup of peanut butter.
But Mr. How Sweet loves jelly and declared “more jelly!” next time. And I don’t think he was talking about my thighs.

So while I’m not really into peanut butter and jelly on bread right now, I’m always into cake. I’ve already done peanut butter and jelly muffins, peanut butter and jelly bars, peanut butter and jelly cookies, and oh… who could forget peanut butter and jelly pancakes? Be still my heart.

Cake was the next logical step.
And it had to be made with whole wheat flour in order to soften the blow of eating three pieces straight out of the oven.

Things that would be delicious as toppings that I didn’t do? Melted peanut butter. Melted chocolate. Crumbled bacon. A cream cheese glaze. Why didn’t I do any of these? What is wrong with me?
Something else that would be delicious? If someone would hand deliver these pb & j inspired better-than-crack blondies to me. Like… today. Actually, like… 5 minutes ago.

[print_this]

Peanut Butter and Jelly Snack Cake

serves 6-8

3 tablespoons butter, softened

1/4 cup peanut butter

1/3 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose; I do NOT recommend regular whole wheat)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup milk

jelly or jam of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and peanut butter in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt with the mixer on low speed. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add milk and mix until batter comes together.

Butter and flour an 8×8 cake pan. Pour in batter, then add jelly to the top of the batter either with a pastry tip of with a spoon. Run a knife through the jelly to create swirls. It doesn’t have to look perfect – add as little or as much as you’d like. More jelly will keep the cake moist. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cake is set. Let cool completely.

[/print_this]

This cake is perfectly acceptable for breakfast. But then again… what cake isn’t?

98 Responses to “Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Jelly Snack Cake.”

nancy k — March 11, 2011 @ 2:12 am

I think every recipe title should have the word ” snack” in front of it. It would make things so much easier.
    I too love peanut butter anything. Have you tired the new offering at Trader Joe’s…peanutbutter cream cheese spread? It is sooo yummy. I need to figure how to use it in a recipe or two. It will save me from eating it by the spoonful.

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

I just bought some today! Can’t wait to try it.

Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite — March 11, 2011 @ 6:02 am

Yum! whole wheat and the ingredients dont seem too fattening. cant wait to try!

Alexa — March 11, 2011 @ 6:13 am

Considering I gave up chocolate for lent, I’m totally making these. And don’t be hard on yourself about your decorating skiills, you’ve got ‘em!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — March 11, 2011 @ 6:24 am

The whole wheat makes it totally healthy..so the calories only count half as much! ;)

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Yesss… so true.

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 11, 2011 @ 8:35 am

I’m the exact same way with jelly!! Now, if it’s apricot or orange marmalade, then bring it on! :P This loooks soooooooo good~truly, my kind of cake. Well, most cakes are my kind but this one especially b/c of pb <3

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:30 pm

Orange marmalade is good! Haven’t had it in years.

Christine — March 11, 2011 @ 8:47 am

So making this tomorrow for a post-long run snack! It’s got protein from peanut butter, totally acceptable!

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

I agree!

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 11, 2011 @ 9:01 am

Cake is totally acceptable any time of the day, I agree with you on that. What a fun cake this is. I’d let someone smash it in my face!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 11, 2011 @ 9:36 am

YUM! I’m i love with peanut butter. I’m not much of a jelly person either but when I do use it I go all out.

Cara Craves... — March 11, 2011 @ 10:16 am

Anytime of the day, this sounds fabulous!
    The flavor combination of PB & J is one of
    God’s many blessings I think!

Get Off Your Butt and BAKE! — March 11, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Hi Jess,
    Your blog is deliciously beautiful!
    I’ve been browsing for quite a while, and plan to
    try many recipes. I also have a passion for baking.
    I hope you come visit!
    Jonna

• Jessica — March 10th, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

Thank you!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing — March 11, 2011 @ 12:49 am

Totally craving PB and J now!!!

Christine — March 11, 2011 @ 1:06 am

Do you think using fat free milk would work? I hate buying other types of milk for baking because it won’t get used, but I’m always hesitant because I know that fat free is really just white water :)

• Jessica — March 11th, 2011 @ 8:01 am

Yes – that is what I used!

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — March 11, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I love you girl!!!! YAY for using whole grain! Cake is the BEST right out of the oven. :) I like more Peanut BUtter on sandwiches than jelly. :) The jelly gets too sweet for me. :)

xoxo
    Kathleen

Happy When Not Hungry — March 11, 2011 @ 9:47 am

Wow love this cake!! I love peanut butter and jelly but definitely get sick of it in sandwich form. Definitely will be trying this!

Amanda — March 11, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Talk about comfort food!! This sounds fantastic!!!

claire — March 11, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Wow. Ooh. Mmmmm…pb&jam on the spoon, on crackers, in my cakes…but this one HAS to be made asap i.e. By monday or I will suffer badly…so golgen :) BUT I’m in the UK: what is meant by whole wheat PASTRY flour, please? We only have wholemeal plain (all-purpose) -will that suffice?
    BTW: your post on the 1/4″ red velvet brownies (yet another wow, must bake): it hit me first thing in the morning and I chortled all day. And the next. In fact, I’ve saved it for rainy days and mondays…just for that, I love you :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 11, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Your PB & J cake came out beautiful. I love rustic looking treats. Love that ribbon of jelly :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — March 11, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

I use to eat pbnj ALL the time when I was growing up, but haven’t had one in a while. I can’t wait to enjoy one in cake form! YUM! :)

Kristin — March 11, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

This might be the best thing I’ve ever seen!

Maranda — March 12, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

I agree with Mr. How Sweet. More jelly!!!

Alaina — March 12, 2011 @ 8:25 pm

Can I please live in your kitchen? :-)

Candace — March 12, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

Oh, this is really good – I had to add some doctored up peanut butter on top but it is delish! Thanks for sharing~

ashley — March 20, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Made these last night – so delicious!
    The more jelly, the merrier :)
    do u think the recipe can be doubled for a 9×13 pan if you are making these for a party, etc?

sharon — June 13, 2011 @ 11:53 am

yum! i just made this at home and needless to say, my family is so happy…it came out a little dry though, any suggestions for how to moisten it up or types of peanut butter you prefer? I used organic, but I’m wondering if that made a difference in the consistency. Regardless, it’s delicious and I love reading your blog!

Kenzie — April 20, 2012 @ 1:17 pm

Oh pretty!

Kenda — May 1, 2013 @ 5:54 pm

I am interested in making this but I was wondering why I shouldn’t use whole wheat all purpose flour?

kristin m — March 13, 2014 @ 2:19 pm

-OR- A grape jelly, cream cheese, bacon glaze! That is what I am trying!

1. Pingback: Homemade White Chocolate Peanut Butter | How Sweet It Is