Beneath the peanut butter cups, bacon cupcakes and jelly beans, I found the desire to make this baked spaghetti.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

It was a miracle really.

But I wanted to make you dinner. Yes, you over there… on the other side of that screen.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

See, I don’t really love spaghetti, but most people do. It’s the whole tomato sauce thing that I’m not so keen on. But you most likely love crushed tomatoes pureed into oblivion with garlic and spices. Am I right or am I right?

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

If you don’t, you’re gonna have to do some pretending. Since youre coming for dinner and all.

I’ll make sure to have other delicious things on the table too.

Like toasty garlic bread that is glistening with melted butter and freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

And wine. Do you like red or white?

And maybe even rum.

I like to mix it up.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

And salad. Lots of salad. Mainly because I won’t be eating any of it. I made it for you.  Just for you.

See? I like you.

I really like you.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti

serves 4-6

3/4 pound whole wheat spaghetti

1/2 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/4 pounds ground beef (I used 93% lean)

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pepper

10-12 fresh basil leaves, chopped

2 cups of your favorite pasta sauce

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prep water to boil for pasta. I cooked a spaghetti with a 10-minute cooking time for 7 minutes since it was going in the oven.

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions with a sprinkle of salt and pepper and saute until soft, about 5-6 minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute. Season ground beef with the teaspoon of salt and pepper and add to skillet. Break apart with a wooden spoon and brown on both sides. This should only take about 5-6 minutes.

Stir in one cup of pasta sauce and half of the chopped fresh basil. Mix to combine, then add in pasta and toss. Spray a 9×13 baking dish (or baking dish of your choice, I used an 8-inch round, 4-inch deep dish) with non-stick spray. Add half of the spaghetti mixture to the dish, then top with 1/2 cup tomato sauce and half of each cheese. Add the remaining spaghetti and top with the rest of the sauce and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

Baked Parmesan Spaghetti I howsweeteats.com

Remember, you don’t get dessert unless you eat your dinner. That’s a rule in this house.

[One that I never follow.]

164 Responses to “Baked Parmesan Spaghetti.”

Deeba — May 12, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Absolute deliciousness! I think I love this baked dish to bits. Thanks for having us over…and love the ‘dessert rule’! That’s our rule at home too, no matter what!

Sharon — May 26, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Inspired by your photos (drool inducing), and the idea of baking spaghetti (never tried it), I made a version of this and loved it! Felt the need to include spicy Italian sausage, probably because it would have been weird to add bacon. So delicious. Thank you!!!

Lydia — June 15, 2011 @ 11:59 am

I made this last night for dinner and it was sooo good!! Much tastier than the typical spaghetti and meat sauce. Thank you for a delicious recipe!

Judy / Bebe Love Okazu — July 25, 2011 @ 10:31 am

My kids love pasta and my husband will occasionally make a leftover baked spaghetti dish but I love the addition of fresh basil. This looks delicious! I’ll have to try this next time! Thanks, and have a great week!

Jen — September 12, 2011 @ 11:41 pm

Found this on Pinterest and cannot wait to try it! Thanks for sharing!
    Jen

Monica — September 15, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Hi there. This recipe looks amazing! I am going to make it tonight. Only using one pound of meat though. Also no fresh basil. Do you have a recommended measurement if using dried basil?

• Jessica — September 15th, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

hmmm maybe about a tablespoon?

LOU — September 17, 2011 @ 10:53 pm

Made this for dinner tonight…my husband loved it and was super impressed….this is a amazing recipe!!

Sara McGee — October 26, 2011 @ 11:13 am

Would this freeze well? If so, how would you suggest thawing/cooking after?

• Jessica — October 26th, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

I haven’t ever froze it and rarely freeze food so I can’t be certain… but I think if you make it without baking, then freeze, then thaw and bake it should be good? Just guessing.

• Stacey — October 26th, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I just made this dish tonight and was thinking about that as well. I think you could freeze it, put in the fridge to thaw the morning you want to make it for dinner, set it out on counter for 20-30 minutes to take the chill off, and then bake per the recipe.

Stacey — October 26, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Hello! I made this for dinner tonight. Used vegetarian “meat” crumbles instead of ground beef. Turned out great. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Jess McG — October 30, 2011 @ 9:25 pm

Just made this for dinner tonight, modified a bit. Soooo good!

Monique — December 28, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

Tried this last might, has to be the BEST spaghetti I’ve ever made, thank you for the awesome recipe!!!

Meagan — January 10, 2012 @ 9:49 pm

I’m working on it right now! In the process of boiling spaghetti!

Colleen — January 13, 2012 @ 11:44 am

This sounds absolutely delish! Please excuse my ignorance as I am an extreme rule follower when it comes to cooking–it’s not my strong point. As I read the instructions, I got lost as I don’t see where I add the pasta. It says ‘Add half of the spaghetti mixture to the dish…’ Am I to add all the pasta to the meat mixture when I add 1 cup of pasta sauce and 1/2 the basil? Later it says to add ‘the remaining spaghetti’…just confused and feel a little sheepish–so many others have obviously done just fine with the recipe since the comments rave about it!

Any clarification would be great –thanks!

• Jessica — January 13th, 2012 @ 12:12 pm

Oops so sorry Colleen! Yep, I just usually add it in after the sauce. Just fixed it!

• Natashia — March 29th, 2012 @ 6:43 pm

I do not see where this is corrected?? The recipe I have does not explain it. I, like Colleen, follow recipes to a T. This one is a little bit confusing!! :( I also do not see where it says to mix in the meat….I just start to get lost COMPLETELY on the last paragraph. Hopefully that helps! Hope its yummy!!!

• Sharon — May 20th, 2012 @ 6:18 pm

I totally got the instructions fine, but where i am confused is where you say to add 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. It isn’t listed as one of the ingredients…do you mean the spaghetti sauce mixture with the meat or do you actually mean a can of tomato sauce? I too follow instructions to the ‘T’ as i really do suck as a cook! LOL This looks awesome and easy. Can’t wait to make it! :)

Krystal — March 8, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

Do you think this would be good with italian sausage?

Lydia — April 4, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

Made this tonight and while it had a great flavor it really lacked the sauciness of spaghetti. In fact it was rather dry and didn’t have near the sauce that your picture shows. Do you really just use 2 cups of sauce? I heated up more sauce and we just topped it with that and then it was quite tasty. I’m just rather puzzled- I keep going over the ingredients and can’t figure out anything I did incorrectly.

May — January 2, 2013 @ 5:51 am

Do you have a spaghetti sauce recipe? Because I don’t have a “favorite” one and want to make this as delicious as yours!

Abby — January 25, 2013 @ 11:17 am

I’ve made this recipe twice now, and it’s definitely a new staple in our menu rotation! It’s one of the few recipes that I actually follow without making my own substitutions and changes. Thanks for the delicious meal!

Robin — May 28, 2013 @ 7:09 pm

Hi, I actually just took this out of the oven…it looks and smells wonderful! Just wondering about the second 1/2 of the basil – does it go on top?

Thanks for the great recipes!

Robin

Robin — May 28, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

I have to agree though, with some of the other comments…definitely not nearly as saucy as the picture. Luckily, my boyfriend prefers less sauce, so that actually was a bonus :-)

1. Pingback: Things In My Fridge. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Easier Than Falling Off a Log » Baked Spaghetti

3. Pingback: Casserole Craze « Kate the Cook

4. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #68 – Baked Parmesan Spaghetti « Ella Rose Entertaining

5. Pingback: Baked parmesan spaghetti (nondairy) « got no milk

6. Pingback: help!! i think i just might commit carbicide… | she cooks, he eats

7. Pingback: Baked Spaghetti Deliciousness! – Sprinkle Joy.

8. Pingback: Baked Spaghetti « Some Other Betty