You may think I’m crazy, but this cake isn’t that sweet.

It’s soft and dense, yet fluffy at the same time. It’s chocolaty but has a smooth tang that can only be achieved by adding creamy, thick yogurt. It appears spongy, but melts in your mouth.

Does this not look like pure fudge?

It appears to be, but it’s not. This cake has a completely different consistency from anything I’ve ever made – almost appearing somewhat rubbery straight from the oven, but not like that at all once tasted. I adore this dark cocoa powder I’ve been using, which yields a very rich, chocolate flavor without the sweetness.

Have I lost my mind? Since when do I want something that won’t give me cavities?

The cake is great, but the saving grace is the slightly sweetened fresh whipped cream on top, which cuts through the richness of the dark cocoa like a fat cloud. And the cocoa syrup… now that’s the best part.

It gives this seemingly light dessert a decadent touch that is necessary in my opinion. I considered trying to convince you that this cake is healthy since it has lots of protein-packed greek yogurt and dark cocoa full of antioxidants, but who am I kidding? Even I can’t be fooled when I have two layers of cake in front of me with a glaze made of pure sugar.

But that didn’t stop me from having two servings. Because I do things like that. I’m such a lady.

Dark Chocolate Yogurt Cake

serves  4-6

3 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons dark cocoa powder

3/4 cup plain greek yogurt (I used Fage 2%)

1/4 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour (or use cocoa powder) an 8×8 cake pan.

Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt and mix until combined. Add yogurt and mix until batter is smooth. Add in milk and mix until batter comes together. Pour into pan.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until cake is set. Cake will be thin, and appear a bit spongey.  Serve with fresh whipped cream and cocoa syrup.

ETA: some are saying the cake is taking longer to cook – around 25-35 minutes. Just keep an eye on it!

Dark Cocoa Syrup

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon water

Mix all ingredients until a smooth glaze forms. If mixture is too thin, add more sugar. If too thick, add more water one drop at a time.

I may have also slurped some of that dark cocoa syrup. I’ve now learned that life isn’t really complete without it.

169 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Yogurt Cake.”

Carie — April 2, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

I love making unusual deserts for my coworkers that taste better than the name suggests. (Totally tripped them out with yam blondies.) Will have to make this!

HefiA — April 2, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

Wow! That looks so so soooo delish!!!!!!!!! :)

Lynna — April 2, 2011 @ 6:24 pm

I can’t believe it came out so dark with only 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder! I love the rich color; it looks amazing with that whipped cream!

• Jessica — April 3rd, 2011 @ 9:47 am

It’s so dark because I used dark cocoa powder!

Cookin' Canuck — April 2, 2011 @ 6:35 pm

Now that is a cake that just screams for a cup of milk on the side. Gorgeous!

Dana — April 2, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Ohh MY! That looks absolutely delicious!! :) Can’t wait to try it out!!

Kristi — April 2, 2011 @ 7:25 pm

Hey, I only have plain, low-fat yogurt, not Greek. How do you think it would turn out if I used it?

• Jessica — April 3rd, 2011 @ 9:46 am

Since it still has some fat in it, I think it would work! Let me know if you try it.

Rachel — April 2, 2011 @ 7:38 pm

I have a question: the ingredients list says baking powder, but the instructions say baking soda… sadly I didn’t realize this until I reached that point in the recipe and I am hoping to get it finished tonight… please help me! which is it?

Jen — April 2, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

Can I just have a glass of the dark cocoa syrup? It looks SO good. I want to dip a banana in it.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner — April 2, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

AWWWWEEEE!!!! Dark Chocolate! :D I love that you used yogurt in this!! :D

Charissa — April 2, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

Be still my heart! Wow….

Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for a little blog award over on my site! Love your blog so much! All the best!

torviewtoronto — April 3, 2011 @ 12:28 am

cake looks delicious lovely pictures

megan — April 3, 2011 @ 11:40 am

I could sink my teeth into that and not have a care in the world. Double Yum Jessica!!!

Christina — April 3, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Oh my lord your pictures are insane. Out of a magazine!

Raven — April 3, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

These look AMAZING!!! I <3 dark chocolate and yogurt! I can't wait to try them out! :D

Binny — April 3, 2011 @ 10:38 pm

Looks amazing!! What kind of dark cocoa powder do you use? I haven’t found one other than Hershey’s, but use it so much I would love to find a larger canister to save on multiple trips to the store!!

• Jessica — April 3rd, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

Same here!! I have only been using the Hershey’s and totally agree… goes so quickly. I need to buy in bulk or something!

• mattie — September 25th, 2013 @ 8:39 pm

Try Penzey’s cocoa powder – I love it even more than the dark Hershey’s – it is even more chocolate-y…………

maria — April 4, 2011 @ 6:37 am

HI there great chocolate recipe,looks YUMMY.happycook,care to share any more and have it submitted to my cookbook,with your name as the cook,THANK YOU MARIA.HAPPYCOOK.

Heather — April 4, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

This is a truly impressive looking cake.

jen — April 8, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Tried this last nite, and without the whip cream or the added syrup the cake itself is really lacking sweetness and taste. Next time I make it I will try add more sugar or even a shot of espresso to enhance the chocolate flavor.

• BB — January 13th, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

I bake a lot and used to make desserts at a restaurant. This cake was very easy to make but, like you said, Jen. there is no real taste to it if eaten plain. With only 3 tbl. cocoa it was not as chocolately rich in flavour as I expected. This cake would be good with whipped cream, ice cream, yogurt, etc. on it. Found mine had a “floury” taste even though I followed the recipe to a T.

Hannah {Bake Five} — April 9, 2011 @ 7:54 am

while every girl needs a black party dress, every baker needs a good chocolate cake recipe in his/her repertoire! (:

Erika — May 3, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I made this the other day and my husband didn’t like it, so I may have eaten the entire pan…

jas — June 9, 2011 @ 5:25 am

good lord this looks sinful! I can’t wait to try it!

Chocolate cake easy recipe — January 17, 2012 @ 9:17 am

Chocolate can often be first of all, pops into their heads when you consider desserts. In the end, there are few issues superior to biting down hard in to a wealthy chocolates dessert following …chocolate cake

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — March 26, 2013 @ 9:32 pm

Made this today and it wasn`t dense or dark, it was more puffy and cakey than the photos. I took into account the comments of lack of flavour and added a packet of hot cocoa mix to the batter which helped!

Robin — August 25, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

I really liked this cake, but was glad to have the “warning” that’s it’s not very sweet. It’s almost like a dense chocolate bread, with just a bit of sweetness added. The nice thing about this cake is, if you want it sweeter, just serve it with a heaping spoonful of chocolate sauce on top. My boyfriend preferred it that way, where I liked it plain. I found a richer, thicker chocolate sauce on Pinterest, and served it with that one instead. Good recipe, I’ll make this again.

Jade Beuter — January 31, 2014 @ 10:57 am
    Labor — August 29, 2014 @ 11:59 pm

Complete failure. I wasted 2 hours of this. It tasted like boiled dough. I just don’t understand why since I followed directions.

Teresa — November 6, 2014 @ 8:18 am

This looks amazing!! But my husband only likes milk chocolate. Could I try it with regulate cocoa?)