Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Meringue Cookies.
Remember when I made that white chocolate peanut butter?
I also made these meringue cookies. It only took me eight tries.
I was obsessed with the idea of making peanut butter meringues, especially with the white chocolate peanut butter. I could only imagine how fluffy and crunchy and delicious they would be.
After a zillion failed attempts (err… eight) I finally got it right. I didn’t think it would be that complicated since I have made meringue cookies before from an old Mother Lovett recipe, but that peanut butter is a different beast.
(It’s also addicting and delectable in case you were wondering.)
Moral of the story: use room temperature egg whites. Make sure your peanut butter is really creamy, but not warm. Don’t stir too much; only fold. And make double the amount you think you need, because these are as light as air and you will eat hundreds of them (err… maybe twenty).
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3-4 ounces of high-quality chocolate
- Remove eggs from the fridge and separate them, leaving the egg whites in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes. If you are using a pastry bag to pipe the cookies, prepare it now. Set out a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Melt peanut butter (using a microwave or double boiler) until it is creamy. Set aside and let cool, but make sure to stir the peanut butter every few minutes, You want it to remain creamy and “runnier” than when it comes from the jar, but not be very warm.
- Add egg whites to a very clean and dry bowl of an electric mixer with a pinch of salt. Begin with the mixer on low speed, and gradually increase the speed as peaks begin to form. Beat in the sugar and cream of tartar. Increase the speed to high and beat until glossy. You want stiff peaks, which took about 5-6 minutes for me.
- Make sure the peanut butter is still creamy but has cooled. Add it to the egg whites and mix it through with only 4-5 folding motions (it should look like the 3rd picture down). Quickly add mixture to pastry bag or simply use a spoon and drop cookies onto the sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the oven off and let the cookies sit in the oven for 10-15 more minutes. Baking time will depend on the size of the cookies, and you need to watch them closely as they are already a golden color from the peanut butter. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cool, melt chocolate (in the microwave or a double boiler) and dip half of each cookie in the chocolate. Let chocolate cool before serving.
These are about as healthy as we’re gonna get here with chocolate and peanut butter, so eat up! I sure did.