I did.

Yes I did.

And while my pathetic attempted title plagiarism of a 1996 country album may be surprising, the fact that this asparagus took a long, hot bath in bacon drippings is not. You know me.

You probably know me enough to assume that I was not listening to country music in 1996, and there was no way that Mr. How Sweet influenced me back then… which is good considering that association would have been highly illegal in 1996. I did, in fact, know the title of that album, if only for the reason that at the same time, that same summer, as I was belting “Strawberry Wine” while engulfed in an issue of Seventeen and simultaneously over-tweezing my eyebrows, I was begging my mom to let me shave my legs. My only thought? Um, who wouldn’t shave their legs for this? I totally would. If I was allowed.

If you suppose I am giving up my vegetable hating roots for a new greener, fresher, crispier perspective, be not afraid.  Even I can survive a few forkfuls of greenery drenched in salty bacon fat. And after 24 hours of straight sugar consumption, complete with mashed potato and glazed ham bookends, bites of potato chip potato casserole and copious amounts of wine, something green appeared to be inevitable. Wise even. The mature choice. The pants fitting choice. So I ate some.

As a side to my pizza of course. I haven’t ventured to your dark side just yet.

Shaved Asparagus Salad

serves 2-4

10-12 asparagus spears (or more depending how thick they are)

1 slice bacon

3 cups fresh arugula

1 shallot, sliced

1 orange, peeled and segmented

1 orange, juiced

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar

1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (I actually used pecorino roma – either will work)

Snap the ends off of the asparagus and discard or save for later use. Using a vegetable peeler, carefully peel the asparagus spears into long ribbons, starting from bottom to top. I find the firmed I press down, the thicker the strips will be. Set aside.

Heat a skillet of medium heat. Chop bacon and add it to the skillet, browning until crisp. Remove bacon and drain on a paper towel, leaving the drippings. Add asparagus and shallot to the skillet and stir to coat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, or until asparagus softens and shallot is translucent.

Add arugula to a large salad bowl. Add orange slices, vinegar and orange juice and mix thoroughly. Add in asparagus, cheese and bacon, tossing to coat and mix the entire salad. Season with salt and pepper if desired.

I never like being a grown up when rabbit food is involved.

92 Responses to “Did I Shave My Asparagus For This?”

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — April 26, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Sadly, 1996 was during my country phase, and I could probably belt out all of the songs on Deanna Carters album! That feels like a million years ago…I wonder what ever happened to her…

Katrina — April 26, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

haha of course you added bacon to this! Love it. This salad looks delish!

Devon — April 26, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

Um. I totally saw Deana Carter & Alan Jackson in concert. Yeah. I just admitted that.

Foodiebia — April 26, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Can we talk about that potato chip potato casserole? B/c I’d loooove to see that recipe!

Leah @ Why Deprive? — April 26, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Ok, I love this song so much its almost shameful. Totally brings me back in time. :)

Sometimes I swear my brother reads you blog. My grandma asked for a salad recipe the other day and he told her, “just put bacon on it, everythings better when you add bacon”.

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — April 26, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

This salad looks awesome. The shaved asparagus looks so fancy! :)

Ana Powell — April 26, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Delicious and so easy to prepare.
    Great one and lovely clicks too ♥

Mary @ Stylefyles — April 26, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

oh, YUM!

This looks perfect!

Definitely making this one, asap!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — April 26, 2011 @ 5:02 pm

I would never think to shave asparagus into a salad! Brilliant!

Christina — April 26, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

Haha, I love that at the end you said, “as a side with my pizza.” Of course! :)

Janey — April 26, 2011 @ 5:18 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love pics of salads!

emily — April 26, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

i love you.

know what’s funny? my BROTHER actually bought that CD. the very same brother that loves metal, pearl jam, and other manly kinds of music. talk about an “illegal” move.

Alexa @ Simple Eats — April 26, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

I would never think of shaved asparagus, but I love asparagus in any form. Oh and I love Deana Carter :)

Molly — April 26, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Shaved asparagus just opened up a whole new world for me!

Dominique @ The Good Life — April 27, 2011 @ 12:03 am

I have nothing to say about the green stuff.

“Strawberry Wine,” on the other hand….yeah, that was in my regular shower-singing rotation.

elle marie — April 27, 2011 @ 12:42 am

I love salads like this!

Thang — April 27, 2011 @ 6:20 am

Very delicious. Thanks for the post

Erin — April 27, 2011 @ 7:02 am

How did I miss this title!?!?! I am cracking up at it….I used to LOVE this song! I listened to Deana Carter CD over and over! HAHA!! Thanks for the flashbacks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 27, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Hehe, great title!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — April 27, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

Holy yum! I love shaved asparagus on pizza, but never have I had it in a salad! Love it.

megly — April 27, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

Read your blog every day but this blog post name really got me! I knew immediately what you were referencing…thought it was very clever :)

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd — April 28, 2011 @ 12:27 am

One of my favorite ways to eat brussel sprouts is sauteed with bacon, i think it really does something for the more firm veggies. I’m sure the asparagus was delish like this too.

Cecilia — April 28, 2011 @ 1:36 am

I grooveshark-ed that song, it’s awesome! I love country songs, perfect during my long train/commute trip.

Kacy — April 28, 2011 @ 11:49 am

That is such a good idea! I love fresh asparagus in salads.

Cara — April 29, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I’m not a bacon gal, but I could totally see adding some avocado to this – yum!

Deb — May 1, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

We planted an asparagus plant in our flower bed (right out the back door) about 5 years ago. It is always exciting to pick them, usually 3 or 4 at a time. We keep them in a little cup of water in the frig until we have enough to cook for the family. Love them just thrown in a skillet with olive oil and coarse salt. Yummy.

Oh, that looks and sounds delicious. How in the world do you shave asparagus, though? Just used a knife?

1. Pingback: » Making Your Mother’s Day Keep It Sweet

2. Pingback: Girl Eats World » Girl Links World (vol 5): Mini Recipe Round Up

3. Pingback: Friday Pin-Ups: Asparagus Fever | Crumb: A Food Blog

4. Pingback: Bacon Wrapped Caramelized Sesame Asparagus | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: 21 Arugula Recipes That Are Fun and Flavorful - EcoSalon : EcoSalon | Conscious Culture and Fashion

6. Pingback: Shaved Asparagus and Whipped Ricotta Pizza | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: 25 Ways to Asparagus + RECIPE: Chili-Roasted Asparagus & Pork Fajitas | The Leek & The Carrot