Raise your hand if you think I’m weird.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

Or… don’t. I’ve already seen enough hands. I’m beginning to develop a complex.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

So here’s the deal. Like bananas? Like avocados? These cupcakes were made for you. Yes, you! I had you in mind all along. We have so much in common, FYI. It’s like we share a brain.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

Someone I don’t share a brain with? Hmm… that would be my husband. This is made all the more evident considering he can calculate down to the penny just how much a pair of shoes that are 30% off + and extra 10% off will cost, while I sometimes try to count the 47 (48? 50?) states on my fingers and round my $78 grocery bill down to $50.

Pretty banana cupcakes with silky frosting that resembles Slimer? So cute, so sweet, so soft and fluffy? Mr. How Sweet’s worst nightmare. Only one way I could make it worse: adding coconut. I didn’t do that, by the way. I’m not mean.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

So don’t feel bad if you want to slap me silly. If you’re looking at me like I have a third eye. If you think my taste buds have gone off the deep end. No. Don’t fret. It is scary yet adventurous in an oh-so-awesome way. Trust.  You must have trust.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

Trust is important in this mutual relationship of ours.  I make (sometimes weird) things and you say “that looks so good!” or “that looks… interesting…” or “what were you thinking?!” Even when we both know that it is weird, that I am weird. Fortunately for you, looks can be deceiving. So make these weirdo cupcakes and please your tongue. Take a big chewy bite and experience the softest, smoothest cupcake with the freshest taste you can imagine. They will rock your (weird) world. I don’t lie.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes

makes 12-20 cupcakes, depending on your scoop

1 1/3 cups flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

pinch of nutmeg

1 egg

3/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3 large ripe bananas, mashed

1/4 cup sour cream

1/2 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Combine dry flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg and set aside. In a bowl, whisk egg and add brown sugar, mixing until smooth. Stir in vanilla extract. Add sour cream and melted butter and mix. Stir in dry ingredients, then add mashed bananas and mix until batter comes together. The batter will be thick. Using an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure, scoop batter in liners. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely.

Avocado Buttercream

2 ripe avocados

2 tablespoons butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups powdered sugar

pinch of salt

Cream avocado and butter together until smooth. With the mixer on low speed, add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt and add vanilla. More sugar can be added if you’d like the frosting thicker. Frosting can be store in the fridge for up to 3 days. I recommend refrigerating the cupcakes.

Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream I howsweeteats.com

Less weirdness coming tomorrow. That’s a (delicious) promise.

221 Responses to “Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream.”

marla — May 10, 2011 @ 1:08 am

I have had an avocado frosting on my mind ever since I made my avo scones. Love the idea with banana cupcakes. Love the green too :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit — May 10, 2011 @ 7:03 am

I’d eat ’em!

Stephanie — May 10, 2011 @ 10:40 am

This is sooooo funny! There is this programme in Italy on ‘Realtime TV’ where people compete to be the best host there is. In one episode the couples host the judges in their homes and cook a 3 course dinner and then based on food, manners and the table setting one couple wins. From yesterday the programme moved to NY, meaning that Italians living in NY participate to the programme and they have been filming there.
    This lady made YOUR muffins last night!!! I SWEAR she did!!!!!! and already last night my drewl was slowly but steadily out of my mouth…. thank you Jessica for making my day with this recipe!!!

And now you can proudly say ‘my recipe was on Italian TV!!!!!

kimlovesjus — May 10, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I’m not a huge fan of avocado, but for some reason, I’m dying to make this.

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips — May 10, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

haha awesome! They look like they should be in a Dr. Seuss book!

Lora — May 11, 2011 @ 3:19 am

I must be weird too because I think these are just fantastic. I LOVE the avocado buttercream.

Apron Appeal — May 11, 2011 @ 5:14 am

Avocado on my cupcake….it sounds like a Smith’s song…and like a Smith’s song, it’s crazy enough that I just might LOVE it. Weird. :)

Erin — May 11, 2011 @ 7:45 am

They look so pretty!!!!

RhodeyGirl — May 11, 2011 @ 9:19 am

This recipe is fascinating!

Tricia — May 11, 2011 @ 6:11 pm

As though you needed any more comments. :)

I just made these cupcakes and am wiping the crumbs off of my mouth. Unbelievably good recipe. I will admit that I chickened out and used a pineapple buttercream icing instead of the avocado.

Thanks for that one!

• Jessica — May 11th, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Pineapple buttercream sounds insanely delicious!

Cori — May 11, 2011 @ 8:13 pm

Does the buttercream turn brown at all?

• Jessica — May 11th, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

Hasn’t yet! I still have a container of it in my fridge. Not sure if it would turn if it was at room temp.

• Cori — May 11th, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Thanks! I might make these tomorrow. Sounds great.

Carissa @ Pretty/Hungry — May 11, 2011 @ 11:40 pm

You are exactly right!! “Weird” was my first thought… but not in a bad way. Avocados are so creamy I can imagine they make an excellent buttercream. Do you taste them much in the recipe though? The idea of tasting avocado with something sweet kinda freaks me out :)

• Jessica — May 12th, 2011 @ 6:47 am

There is just a hint of avocado!

• lizzi — March 30th, 2012 @ 10:30 am

I’ve been to a Laotian restaurant where you can get avocado smoothies. THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I can see how mixing sweet things with avocado would be frightening, but don’t fret. SO good.

Jessica — May 13, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

At first I thought….ewww…but avacado’s a fruit, right? Such a neat idea that I’m going to have to try! Thanks!

loyer7 — May 13, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

I just made these- DELICIOUS!!!

Byrdexpress — May 14, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

I found this combo so intriguing, I just had to try it! The frosting is on point,
    and goes splendidly with the banana cupcakes. Im new to your blog, and kind of new to the kitchen (especially when it comes to baking!) My batch only made 12… I used all your measurements, and a 1/4 cup to pour out the batter. Do you have any thoughts for why my batch was half of what you suggested?

P.S. I did the calorie count, and please dont remove me from your subscribers for posting it, but the calorie count per cupcake is aprox 235-250. –Not bad, I was just curious :)

• LJ — May 17th, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

I have these in the oven now and the batter amount worked out perfectly for twelve cupcakes…of STANDARD size. The photographs above seem to portray miniature sized cupcakes. I believe this to be the reason why we’ve both ended up with only twelve cupcakes. The recipe doesn’t emphasize size of cupcake tin.

• Jessica — May 17th, 2011 @ 9:08 pm

Nope – they are standard sized cupcakes, not minis. I used the ice cream scooper which is close to my 1/4 cup but probably not exact, which would explain the difference in quantity.

• LJ — May 19th, 2011 @ 1:03 am

I use and used the same type of scoop to distribute batter, still ended up with only twelve, hmmm…

LJ — May 17, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

I just bought the ingredients for these.
    Going to make them in an hour; shall let you know how they turn out.

• LJ — May 19th, 2011 @ 1:06 am

They turned out pretty yummy.
      The avocado buttercream is nothing to fear! It is so mildly flavored, its sweetness is what one tastes most. It has grown on me quite a bit.

I kept mine in the fridge, due to the frosting. It’s kind of goopy to work with, and it keeps its green color. The cake was very tender pre-refrigeration, but has since become a bit tough due to it.

I would indeed recommend this, especially to those of us willing to try something more exotic than the traditional, boring vanilla.

• Jessica — May 19th, 2011 @ 6:54 am

Glad you liked them!

Susan — May 20, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

I just made these for a dinner….the cupcakes are nice an moist…the frosting was way to sweet for me so I added 1/2 a cup of butter, way more salt, some cream cheese & lime to cut the sweetness. That left me w/ a ton of frosting so I will be making a banana cake soon to use up the frosting!

• April — May 23rd, 2011 @ 8:27 am

ohohoh, can you elaborate more on your alterations? I would love to try that version out, sounds great!

April — May 23, 2011 @ 8:26 am

I made these and followed the directs exactly. I didn’t think the frosting was too sweet, it was actually a little heavy on the avocado flavor for me. But paired with the cupcakes, and some shredded coconut I added, it was an amazingly addictive combo!!! Here’s how mine turned out:

And I just saw a previous comment on altering the frosting that sounds great! I would live to try that as well!!!

Thanks for the recipe!

Marisa — May 28, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

So, I JUST made these cupcakes. They are currently cooling. I just hope the avocado buttercream lasts until the cupcake are cool enough to ice!! These are wonderful. When I saw your post a week or so ago, I said “bananas. avocado. cupcake. Get in my belly!”
    Thank you for experimenting and posting such wonderful ideas.

Haley — May 31, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

I LOVE the idea of Avocado buttercream.
    Going to have to make these asap.

Sammi — June 7, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

made these today. I was really nervous about the avocado buttercream, especially because it took me buying 5 avocados to finally get two that were actually edible. Anyways.. they turned out great! Everyone ( we have an American, A Dutchie, and Aussie in the house at the moment) loves them!

Emily @ dishntell — June 12, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I’m going to feature these on my blog! (with credit to you, of course!) Making them right now. We’ll see how they turn out!!! Thanks for your wonderful ideas :)

Sarah — June 12, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I made these recently for a party and have never received so many compliments and recipe requests! I typically eat avocados with a spoon, so this was right up my alley. The frosting was not too sweet for my tastes, and while there was a hint of the avocado, I really thought it almost tasted melon-y. Absolutely perfect! What would your suggestions be for a brown sugar mango concoction? I LOVE mango and avocado together, but am clueless when it comes to making alterations on my own. Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

• Minti — February 20th, 2012 @ 12:43 pm

Ooooooooooooooh if you ever find something out about mango and brown sugar TELL MEE<3

Kristen — June 13, 2011 @ 10:37 pm

I just made these because I had ripe bananas and avocados and they are SO.GOOD. Thank you for this wonderful recipe, I will be making it over and over again :)

Lindsey — June 14, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I thought they were great! I took them to a family function and my brother said “this tastes like a vegetable” then gave it to my mom to finish up.

Amanda N — July 21, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

These are in the oven right now…and if the batter was any indication of how good they are YUUUUMMMM!!!! Except, I am going to make your peanut butter frosting. I can’t wait until they are done!

Ladiz Marie — August 7, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Hello!, i just made the frosting recipe with avocado cupcakes… They turned out great!!! I’m not a fan of avocados and in Puerto Rico we never use them for something sweet, so this was a very delicious suprise!!!! Thank you for putting so many great recipes. I will be doing a lot of them :) thank you again!!!

gabe — August 9, 2011 @ 4:59 am

my girlfriend just made these, they are so awesome!!! I can eat an avocado with just salt and pepper, ive always used them in savory seafood dishes but never sweets this is grand. avocado bacon ice cream!

Cori — September 4, 2011 @ 11:01 pm

These were the simply the best. I should have tripled the batch for my daughter’s first birthday party. Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

Domi — September 22, 2011 @ 3:48 am

While recently on holiday (and saving my cash for shopping), for lunch I was having peanut butter, avocado and jam sandwiches. This doesn’t seem weird at all! It’s genius!

Lauren — September 22, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I just made these are they are INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks so much for sharing. So wonderful.

Emma — September 28, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

My frosting got REALLY runny even though I added two more cups of sugar? How come?
    The cupcakes and the frosting was SOOOO good! I was surprised! Even had a friend taste them to make sure I wasn’t just on a sugar-high. They are loved!

• Jessica — September 28th, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Was your butter at room temp or melted? It could just depend on the ripeness of the avocados, but mine was still pretty runny too.

Ashlee — October 29, 2011 @ 10:13 am

My mom’s birthday is Halloween, and the green frosting is very Halloween-ey and festive. PLUS, I have 3 large ripe bananas that I just stuck in my freezer the other day, and avocados are currently $1 a piece. Everything else is in my pantry. SCORE. Thank you for this – I know she’ll love them!

arika — December 28, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

how does the avocado not turn brown?

• Jessica — December 28th, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

No idea, maybe something with the sugar? But it definitely won’t turn brown!

Renee — January 1, 2012 @ 10:25 pm

These were just amazing. I am a HUGE fan of avocados! Simply the best! Thanks for the recipe!

Brooke — February 17, 2012 @ 9:51 pm

OMG this is soooooo good! I’m in love with the avocado buttercream. I made them for my inlaws tomorrow but there may not be any left!

Minti — February 20, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

I like your style. I’ll definitely make sure to try these and tell you what happens:)

Stephanie — March 15, 2012 @ 8:25 am

These look delicious and I want to try them for my daughter, however she’s lactose intolerant, allergic to eggs and rice and has gluten sensitivities. I’m wondering if you know of anything that I can substitute the eggs, sourcream and what type of gluten free flour would work with this recipe?

Lauren — March 27, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

These are simply one of the grooviest things I’ve ever seen. I’m always looking for ways to make my desserts sneakily healthier and I will definitely give these a try :)

Aissa — March 29, 2012 @ 11:23 am

I just tried this recipe (just the cupcakes) and it tasted soooo good!! I wanted to try the frosting as well but we didn’t have any avocados at home.. But will definitely try it next time.

One question.. Can I possibly add more flour so the texture would be muffin-like? My sister thinks it’s too soft (like chiffon cake).. But she loves it nonetheless..

Janelle — April 22, 2012 @ 1:40 am

Hello! I love this recipe So much. I actually used the skeleton and changed almost everything because I needed to use what was in my cupboard. Although, I do think that following the recipe exactly would gain me quite a few hugs around my home. Thanks for the inspiration and I too Love Avocado and have been considering using it in a bread of some sort??…. I posted a link to what ended up being Banana Coconut cupcakes on your Facebook wall.

Ariel — April 29, 2012 @ 5:10 pm

I have been wanting to try this recipe for so long, and I’m finally making them now! Any tips for making the frosting thicker, without adding more sugar? It’s already quite sweet but it’s too runny.

crunchy pickle — May 23, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

he he, i loved your right up on this post. and i’m going use your recipe!

Perilous Person — June 21, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

yeah not bad

Wynn — June 21, 2012 @ 10:08 pm

Not until I moved to Texas from Asia, did I have avocado other than as a sweet treat . In Asia, avocado is usually made into a smoothie , ice cream or cake ( icing and cake). Banana cupcake with avocado icing sounds absolutely divine and interesting – can’t wait to try this combination. Thanks !

Tiffany — August 28, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I am making these. Tonight. RIGHT NOW. I love bananas and I love avocados. So these are PERFECT.

Rochelle Hutchinson — January 12, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

Loving the sound of this. The avocado adding extra creamyness. Love the colour x

McCakes — October 31, 2013 @ 12:26 am

So I just made these and they came out AMAZING and super moist and delicious….. But for the avocado buttercream I also added so lime juice and a little lime zest which made the flavors really POP!!! Super yummy recipe :)

Ivone — March 26, 2014 @ 1:39 am

Will d avocado buttercream turn brown the next day? Would like to make this for my colleagues :)

Jess — January 24, 2015 @ 4:55 pm

These are fantastic! Thank you for the recipe!

1. Pingback: Avocado Fries | The Spiffy Cookie

2. Pingback: It’s Monday. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Still Going Strong. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes With Pineapple Buttercream Icing | I Sing In The Kitchen

5. Pingback: Who Doesn’t Love A Good Cupcake? | WineLife365

6. Pingback: Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream | dish & tell

7. Pingback: Quick, Catch! | Salmagundi

8. Pingback: Beyond Guacamole : Baking with Avocados | taste station blog

9. Pingback: It’s My Birthday, Let’s Talk Cake! | Not Rachael Ray

10. Pingback: Milk Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream

11. Pingback: Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing

12. Pingback: Cupcake Week 2011: Brown Sugar Buckwheat Banana Cupcakes with Cinnamon & Kraken Cream Cheese Frosting « It's a Geek Life

13. Pingback: Brownie Banana Bread Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Frosting | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: “The Marilyn” | legallybaked

15. Pingback: Apple Pie Cupcakes & Brown Sugar Buttercream | legallybaked

16. Pingback: Thinking outside the dip :: thewritingtype.com

17. Pingback: See Ya, 2011. | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Milk Chocolate Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream — Pinch of Yum

19. Pingback: Avocado Blue Cheese Dressing — Pinch of Yum

20. Pingback: Karas Cakery Blog › avocado frosting

21. Pingback: 40 Unexpected Ways to Add Veggies to a Meal | Greatist.com

22. Pingback: 40 Unexpected Ways to Add Veggies to a Meal | Online Latest News

23. Pingback: have a cado? « heylyss

24. Pingback: Crazy for Crust: Avocado Frosting

25. Pingback: Avocado Brownies with Avocado Frosting | How Sweet It Is

26. Pingback: Avocado Recipes I Want My Child to Love | A Pretty Rock

27. Pingback: Brown Sugar Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Brown Sugar Frosting | How Sweet It Is

28. Pingback: Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Candied Bacon. | How Sweet It Is

29. Pingback: Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes with Avocado Buttercream Frosting | Cupcakes & Crinoline

30. Pingback: 40 Unexpected Ways to Add Veggies to a Meal | Cody Blog | Celebrate your fitness

31. Pingback: Avocado Brownies with Avocado Frosting | How Sweet It Is

32. Pingback: How to Stop Feeling Restricted When Losing Weight

33. Pingback: 7-Layer Dessert Dip with Nutella 'Refried Beans' and Coconut 'Cheese' |Foodbeast

34. Pingback: Fit, Fed and Happy

35. Pingback: Brown Sugar Banana Cupcakes and Chocolate Frosting | thegingerista

36. Pingback: Chocolate avocado cupcakes | joy's cozy oven