Certain things happen when you bake cookies that taste like muffins.

Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Cookies become breakfast food.

Midnight snacks too.

You pass them off as two servings of fruit. Or three.

You sleep-eat cookies.

You closet-eat cookies.

They somehow disappear.

You weep.

Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Face, meet cookies. Cookies… I apologize.

Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Few things in this house bring excitement like a soft, fluffy cookie filled with bursting, plump blueberries. Me? Shoes and sea-salted chocolate. Him? Steak and Taylor Swift. In the non-creepy, he’s-old-enough-to-be-her-dad kind of way.

Yeah. I know.

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 tablespoon milk

3/4 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon with the mixer on low speed. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Fold in blueberries gently with a spatula – it is okay if they break a bit. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove dough from fridge and roll into 1 1/2 inch balls or scoop out with an ice cream scooper. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.

Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Cookies > muffins. Or maybe… cookies = muffins. Cookies/muffins??  I really don’t know. I told you I’m terrible at math.

282 Responses to “Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies.”

Becca — June 22, 2011 @ 10:21 pm

Just pulled these bad boys out of the oven – unreal!! They are the perfect fluffy, muffiny, cinnamonny cookie. Can’t wait to have one with my morning coffee. I was close to adding lemon zest or white chocolate chips. So glad I didn’t. They are perfect as is. Thanks for the recipe!! Will definitely be making these again.

• Natalie — September 27th, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

How did you get them fluffy? I made some last week and they were amazing but not as fluffy ass i thought they would turn out. please respond.

• Jessica — September 27th, 2011 @ 3:27 pm

Did you make any changes to the recipe? Did you accidentally use baking soda instead of baking powder? The only other things I can think of is that your baking powder may be expired/old, or your butter was too melted. The butter should only be at room temperature.

Alex — June 25, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

I just baked these. I doubled the recipe so there would be some for the others in my household! I added some chopped pecans, since that was the only way to get my Mom to eat one…and it definitely made them kick even more! I think topping them with sugar is a necessity with this recipe. So good. Thank you.

• Jessica — June 26th, 2011 @ 8:34 am

So glad you like them!

Kari — June 26, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I wonder if you added more milk than the rest of us. My cookies, too, turned out very dry (like scones) and did not spread. The first batch came out at 14 minutes, cooked and dry on the outside, still un-done in the middle and in the same round shape I put them in. Second batch I rolled and then pushed down myself into a cookie shape; when I took them out at 10 minutes the outsides were cooked but still very dry and the middles, again, were not baked. Not sure what to do with the rest of the dough b/c I can’t go back and add milk without destroying the blueberries…. The dough smells far far far to good to get rid of, though…..

• Sara Grace — February 16th, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

Mine, too, came out in the same shape them went in as! too hot to try yet, but they smell delicious

• Samantha — March 15th, 2012 @ 4:21 pm

Try cooking them at a lower temperature. It will take a little longer but it should cook more evenly.

Kaycie — June 27, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

These cookies are great! I added a box of dry instant white chocolate pudding mix in place of some of the flour, and they are so moist and delicious. I was supposed to bring them on a picnic tomorrow…I don’t know if I can talk myself in to sharing!

• Erika — July 10th, 2012 @ 1:24 pm

How much of the flour do you think you left out for pudding mix? that sounds amazing!

• Kaycie — July 11th, 2012 @ 12:32 am

I measured out the pudding mix ( a box is about one cup) then left out that much flour. I like to do this for a lot of different cookie recipes, mix and match different flavors to different cookies.

Meagan W — June 29, 2011 @ 11:16 am

I’m always searching for cookies for to put in my care packages to send overseas to my husband. Do you think if I vacuum sealed/packaged these they would get there ok? If not, do you have any suggestions for any of yours that would? Thank you!!!!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

I don’t see why not, I think they should be okay!

Jennifer — July 9, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

I just pulled these out of the oven! Delicious! I think Alex was right, though, a little sugar on top would have made them perfect…and that’s just because I got bitter blueberries! They definitely won’t be going to waste!

Heather — July 10, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

Just made these and yep, these would make great breakfast cookies, but I don’t think they’re going to make it that long!

Kristen @ Mind Your Bees and Trees — July 13, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

Wow I’ve never had cookies with blueberries. My husband loooooves blueberries which means I’m going to be making these asap :)

Bethany — July 19, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Made these for my roommate’s birthday last night! We both LOVED them! So easy and delicious!!

Carissa — July 20, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Just made these and my hubby and I love them! I think they totally can pass as breakfast.

Cassidy — July 20, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

These were so perfectly soft with the right amount of cinnamon and burst of blueberries. Loved them!!

camille — July 20, 2011 @ 11:26 pm

I’ve made these cookies twice this week. A cookie with my favorite fruit. Absolutely delicious.

FrankieandNicole — July 24, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

Oh…My…God…. How will I ever live without these?? x

Pauleen — August 15, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

WOW…My twin granddaughters and I picked fresh blueberries from my yard and decided to try blueberry cookies…I am so glad I found this recipe, it is awesome, moist, yummy cookies. I’m making another batch now. Can you freeze these cookies? Now I don’t mind picking blueberries because I have a great recipe.

Kathryn — August 19, 2011 @ 6:07 am

Tried these and blogged about my results. Really nice, thanks! :)

Benthe — September 1, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

I made these today, they are soo good! Thinking about blogging later but as my site is out because of migration issues, it won’t be until what, next week?

Vi — September 9, 2011 @ 10:34 am

My sister made these cookies for our Labor Day party, and they were so delicious. Everyone loved them and wanted the recipe. So, I sent it to all who asked for it. They are wonderful cookies, I will be making these a lot.

The Tiffin Girl — September 11, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

Made these and added chocolate chips and pecans. So good!

I also blogged about them. Thanks for sharing!

Emily — November 12, 2011 @ 7:19 pm

Currently making these for the second time this week (double batch this time!). My boyfriend and my roommates (and me) gobbled these up in about a day the first time! YUM!

(Forgot to put milk in until the end this time. oooops.)

Janelle — December 8, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

These cookies changed my life! Am I exaggerating? Only a little. They’re so freaking fantastic!!!! Thank you so much for sharing them :)

Evelyn — December 10, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Just made them! UHMAYZING. i ate three right after i got a wiff of them.

Lise Hawk — December 19, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

Can we use frozen blueberries, my freezer is full of blueberries that I picked last summer, do you think the cookies would come out alright, I thought I would ask before trying as not to waste a batch. thanks

• Jessica — December 19th, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

If you use frozen, I would make sure they are completely thawed and patted dry with a paper towel – otherwise I think they will give off too much water!

• Emily — December 22nd, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

Hah, saw this right after I posted mine. :D

• Wanda — June 2nd, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

No they dont. With frozen blueberries they came out perfect. Everyone Loved them. I also used a small cookie scoop made 36 of them and 12 min was perfect as well.GREAT…. recipe.

Kelsey — December 21, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

i just made these for my husband & i pretty much had to fight him to get any. i got about 24 with my batch (he just ate half of them!) & they were perfectly fluffy & muffin like. i did end up putting in 2tbsp. of milk instead of one but i wouldn’t make any changes or add anything else to these, they’re perfect as-is. my husband wants these to become a household staple now, lol (: thank you for sharing!

Emily — December 22, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

Do you think frozen blueberries would work very well?

Carrie — January 3, 2012 @ 5:35 pm

I just made these and they are fluffy and delicious. I think I am gonna drizzle
    a little icing over them! YUM!!

Cayla — February 11, 2012 @ 11:57 am

These cookies are the easiest to make!!!! My friend and I are having a bake sale and this was a quick and easy thing to do. DO NOT beat the blueberry’s because if you don’t then the blueberry’s are big and juicy!!! They look delicious can’t wait to eat one!!!!!!

Jill — March 11, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

I had some blueberries, didn’t know what to do with them, don’t care for cinamon so I left it out, hope they taste good, baking now

Annette — March 17, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

Just took these out of the oven. My kitchen smells amazing! I followed the recipe exactly and they came out just like the picture. This one is a keeper!

Krista — March 18, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I love the sound of these! I can’t wait for fresh blueberries to be cheaper at the store.

Laura — April 20, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

Made these with my 2 year old today, they really are fantastic, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Colby — May 10, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

I just made these and they turned out perfect- also didn’t add any milk (lactose allergy) and had to cook them for about 17 minutes. I used Dole frozen blueberries and it make them nice and moist from the juice.

Beth — July 22, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

These were delicious! I made them with wild Himalayan blackberries I picked along a local bike path, like a sneaky ninja! Himalayan blackberries are a nasty invasive, so I don’t feel bad, but I still hid my little tupperware in my purse anytime anybody rode by. Not sure if that made me look more or less suspicious. . .

Clemmie — July 22, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

Can I used Self Raising flour instead? If yes, how much?

April Hasenei — August 12, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Wow these were spool good. I kind of tweeked them a little since I don’t care for cinnamon with blueberries. I omitted the cinnamon and added a little lemon juice about a tbsp and instead of milk I went for sour cream. When I folded in the blueberries I also put small chunks of cream cheese in. These are a permanent addition to my cookie folder and I cant wait for blueberry season from now on. Thanks

ole — September 13, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

it so great!!! sweet food i like it!! click http://www.ccchinachic.com u can find u like or need!!!

sonumishra — October 3, 2012 @ 3:53 am

nice your food blogs

Ankit — November 23, 2012 @ 12:09 am

Wow…. that is all i can say about these cooffins (sounds about right for the cookie+muffins)
    going to be trying them out today….

Ah — December 18, 2012 @ 4:36 pm

Do you think these would be good if I added chocolate chips to the recipe?

theultimatefoodaddict — December 24, 2012 @ 2:50 am

the cookies look so yummy! will try them. thanks for sharing! :)

Katherine B — January 6, 2013 @ 3:36 pm

My sister and I broke in her new Kitchen Aid with this recipe yesterday and it was fantastic!! We made 24 smaller cookies and they came out as the most adorable little nuggets – I’ll probably flatten the balls a little more next time if I opt to do small cookies again, but they were ever so cute that way as well. Even her ultra-picky husband came back for seconds, so I’ll call that a success. Thanks!

Fiona Maclean — January 12, 2013 @ 8:40 am

those look amazing! I might have to wait until I’m through my post christmas diet…but I will be back!

ATasteOfMadness — February 6, 2013 @ 2:41 am

These sound fantastic!! Fresh blueberries? In a cookie? Unreal

Carine — May 25, 2013 @ 5:34 pm

I know I’m late… but I found your blog and this particular recipe via Stumble Upon, and I just tried the recipe… OMG! They are really delicious!
    Thanks for this recipe (definitely a keeper!)!

Alyssa — June 21, 2013 @ 7:44 pm

Just whipped these up-super easy and quick to make. I had my sister and her boyfriend try it (they were like “blueberries?”) and they insisted on taking some with them they enjoyed them so much. Thanks for the recipe!

Allison — July 27, 2013 @ 9:53 pm

I have made these several times in the last month. I added a good handful of white chocolate chips and they are delicious!!

Brooke — August 6, 2013 @ 12:21 am

WOW. This is an amazing recipe. I usually cannot be trusted with baking, but these turned out perfectly. Due to desperately wanting to bake these right away, I made some substitutions. I used whole wheat flour, coconut milk instead of milk, and I skipped the vanilla extract, and they still turned out so delicious! They ARE like muffins, and that’s quite dangerous. Thanks for this recipe!

Spillers Of Chard — October 2, 2013 @ 10:51 am

These look great cannot wait to try i love blueberries so this gives me a good excuse to get some in. Thanks for the Recipe

Dr. Seven — March 19, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

I made these but added canna butter, cookie game on point :)

Dr. Seven — March 19, 2014 @ 12:56 pm

Added canna butter, cookie game on point :)

Suzi — April 11, 2014 @ 9:08 pm

I know this is an old recipe – but I just pulled a tray of these out of my oven and they’re divine. I had to pop over and say thank you!

1. Pingback: Berry Graham Blondies | The Healthy Street

2. Pingback: Posts I Love This Week « The Process of Healing

3. Pingback: » Berry Unnecessary Sweet Tater | Food | Fitness | Etc.

4. Pingback: » Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies Sweet Tater | Food | Fitness | Etc.

5. Pingback: Muffin Tops « A Tasty Life

6. Pingback: Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies | everything in between

7. Pingback: not just my favorite britney spears song « rhinestones of wisdom.

8. Pingback: Breakthrough « Alexis Ashley's Blog

9. Pingback: 30 DoS – Day 10: Fresh Blueberry Muffin Cookies

10. Pingback: Giant Rainbow Cookies | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Ace Department | Blog | food friday: Blueberry Cookies

12. Pingback: Craving > 6 Blueberry Muffin-esque Recipes | foodiecrush

13. Pingback: Craving > 6 Blueberry Muffin-esque Recipes | foodiecrush – recipes

14. Pingback: The Caramel Cookie » Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies

26. Pingback: Cookies | Pearltrees

27. Pingback: The Daily EO: June 15th, 2012 « The Daily EO

28. Pingback: Tuesday Morning Baking Urge | Ky Cooks

29. Pingback: The best » Pardon the Dog Hair

30. Pingback: friend-filled weekend « zhangstas

31. Pingback: Sweet Pea's Kitchen » Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies

32. Pingback: week 32: stephanie’s pick (for hannah!) – Brown Sugar Blueberry Cookies | 52weekbakingproject

33. Pingback: Recipe #39: Blueberry and Cinnamon COOFFINS :P | The Food Gypsy