Let’s talk about raisins.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

I know. Gross. I can barely even think of a raisin without cringing.

I’m just not into them. I can’t chew something that is labeled plump and shriveled at the same time. I like the words plump and shriveled to pertain to warm, cuddly and loving grandmas who knit blankets and scarves and drink hot cocoa. Not my food.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Sometimes I accidentally eat a raisin when I shovel handfuls of salty trail mix into my mouth. Other times I accidentally eat a raisin when I’m picking every single chocolate chip out of a bag of trail mix. Occasionally I bite into a warm, gooey cookie expecting to find a melted chocolate chip ribbon, only to discover… a raisin. Then I cry. Ew.

Sometimes I can snack on one or two raisins, but I’m really just… judging them.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Luckily… these cookies have nothing to do with raisins. Lovely, right?

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Instead of raisins, I stuffed thick oatmeal cookies with a boatload of chocolate chips. Large and in charge cookies. I underbaked them slightly, resulting in a super chewy and gooey cookie with the perfect chocolate ribbons I crave. Then I ate them. Almost all of them. They complete me.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 1/4 cups chocolate chips

optional: 1- 2 tablespoons milk, if dough is crumbly

Preheat oven to 375.

Beat butter and sugars with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combined, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon with the mixer on medium speed. Beat in oats. Mix until dough comes together. Add in 1 tablespoon milk if the dough is crumbly. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Fold in chocolate chips. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls. Set on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it. Bake at 375 for 9-11 minutes.

Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies I howsweeteats.com

I hope you like oats in your cookies. Oats make cookies sooooo healthy!

340 Responses to “Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies.”

DC — June 26, 2012 @ 12:56 am

I am personally not an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie lover and I made a batch of these for a friend’s birthday..and I thought they were AMAZING!! I may have use some extra chocolate chips..but this is definitely a recipe I will keep and use often. :)

• Aleese — October 27th, 2013 @ 7:50 pm

I loved these cookies. My sister wasn’t a fan of the cinnamon, but I loved it! Thanks for the awesome recipe. :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — July 2, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

These are my new go-to oatmeal cookies. They are wonderfully chewy and delicious and look exactly like the ones in your pictures!!! I LOVE it when that happens!

Tiphanny — July 3, 2012 @ 12:48 am

Ah! Thank you, Ive been searching for a good raisin free recipe. I have two ingredients I hate baking with. Walnuts(hate the fact most brownies have them), and RAISINS.. <3

Candice — July 16, 2012 @ 3:03 pm

I’m going to make these yum!

tricia — August 20, 2012 @ 10:54 am

About to make these, was wondering if the cookie sheet needs to be greased or anything before baking.
    Thanks :)

tricia — August 20, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

Okay so scrap y previous comments, just made them and they are delish!!!! Thanks :)

• linda — August 20th, 2012 @ 10:32 pm

Delicious!!!!!! love, love, love this recipe. Thank you!!!!! :) The best oatmeal cookies ever!!!

• linda — August 20th, 2012 @ 11:35 pm

I made the cookies today!!! awesome recipe.

Emily — August 22, 2012 @ 4:32 pm

I want to make these right now they sound delish, how many does it make?!?!!!?

Emily — August 22, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Sorry just saw the quantity.

Please — August 29, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

I can totally identify with your disdain of raisins. The absolute worst is when you accidentally buy a cookie or a scone or something thinking it is full of chocolate deliciousness, and after the first bite realize you’re eating fruit. Fruit!

I just taste-tested my first batch of these babies, and I have to say I either added too much sugar, not enough sugar, or too much cinnamon. I think next time I’ll cut down on the cinnamon or replace it with a bit of nutmeg.

I added about 1/2 cup more oats, as I like to pretend that when I’m eating these cookies for breakfast I’m really eating oatmeal.

• Aleese — October 27th, 2013 @ 7:53 pm

Not to be mean but I loved the cinnamon amount. I can totally talk about how much I hate raisins, but I think you already said enough. I will try to add more oats next time so that I can also get away with sugar for breakfast.

Chelsea — October 29, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Hello! Will quick oats work with this recipe?

• Aleese — October 27th, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

Yup. I used quick oats and the cookies turned out the same as in the pic, but gooier because I took them out before the bottoms browned.

Dianne — November 18, 2012 @ 10:50 am

These cookies are amazing!! I added raisins as well! Absolutely delicious!! :D My husband and I devoured them in no time. Wow! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll be making these again & again!

Kris — November 19, 2012 @ 9:29 pm

These are the BEST cookies I have ever made. I followed the recipe exactly and they are crispy and chewy. Just the way a cookie should be!

Sahar — December 3, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Wow I made them and they are the most delicious cookies Iv baked! Definitely a keeper recipe. If you haven’t made it then you must!!!!!!!!!!

Tina2899 — December 8, 2012 @ 4:39 pm

I made these and got GREAT reviews from everyone who tried them. I do have a question though. I was going to make these for a cookie exchange. Do you think i can make the dough a week in advance and leave refrigerated? Or should I freeze?

anon — December 17, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

just made these cookies yesterday. they are DELICIOUS!! everyone should try this recipe b/c it’s really gooooooood!! thanks for sharing this!!

mother of the brats — December 26, 2012 @ 2:32 am

I agree. Raisins ruin EVERYTHING. One of my coworkers asked me to bake oatmeal raisin cookies, back in 2010. The box of raisins still sits in my cupboard, untouched since then.

Sharlene — February 10, 2013 @ 2:13 am

Made these today. I ran out of brown sugar so I used 1/2 coconut sugar instead and they turned out Amazing!! (unfortunately because this girl is counting calories lol) but my son loves them and I’ll feed them to his little friends and freeze some and maybe sneak one or ten…… Anyways than you so much for sharing this yummy recipe :)

Amy — March 18, 2013 @ 7:23 pm

These are great!
    I got home from work today and found out that my husband was hosting a meeting at our house in less than 2 hours. He had no refreshments planned and we had to eat dinner. I whipped these up, skipped the chilling part and used half butterscotch chips (only had half a bag of chocolate and I doubled the recipe). I’m still in the kitchen finishing them up, but they seem to be a big hit!

Lindsay — April 6, 2013 @ 10:51 pm

Honestly, I’ve screen shotted your thoughts on raisins and sent it to my friends. You are. HYSTERICAL.

Ashley — April 16, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

My fiance loves these used the tiny chocolate chips, yum!

Lakeisha — April 28, 2013 @ 5:09 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on oatmeal cookie recipe.
    Regards

Becky — May 12, 2013 @ 6:14 pm

So, today i have discovered that you dislike celery and raisins. those are the 2 things that ruin anything they go in. amen. preach on sista. i almost didn’t even click on this post b/c i saw oatmeal cookies and assumed they would contain raisins. and on principle alone i will not even waste my time reading a recipe containing raisins. so glad I kept reading! xoxo

• Courtney — August 11th, 2013 @ 4:30 pm

Totally agree! Celery and raisins have caused so much sadness in my life. Chocolate chip oatmeal is one of the greatest cookies in existence – I don’t know who decided raisins were superior? But I just can’t get behind that.

Kay — May 30, 2013 @ 8:01 am

Hey there,

I’ve been stalking your blog from London and lustfully sighing at sooo many of your recipes…

I might actually just have to move into my kitchen whipping up countless recipes for the unforeseeable future!!

Quick question about this one, salted/unsalted butter?

Keep up the yummy foodings!

-K

Emergency Food List — June 28, 2013 @ 4:48 am

Hi there, yeah this article is actually fastidious and I have
    learned lot of things from it concerning blogging.
    thanks.

tonya — October 25, 2013 @ 8:41 pm

Made with cinnamon chips, dried cranberries, dark choc. chunks. delicious!

Jenny — November 10, 2013 @ 9:55 pm

I doubled the batch and they were delicious! Next time I make them I will not add quite as much cinnamon as the recipe called for but my husband liked them the way they were. Thanks for a yummy addition to my recipe file!

Michelle — November 19, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

Fabulous recipe! Everyone in the family loved them. I made a batch with half chocolate chips, half craisins which were equally delicious.

Tiffany — January 9, 2014 @ 11:48 pm

I have to tell you I absolutely hate oatmeal but I am trying any reasonable sounding recipe to help with my milk supply. I had an amazing baby boy 4 weeks ago and oatmeal is supposed to be one of the best remedies. These cookies are AMAZING!! I could eat these all days. Thank you!

Michelle — January 21, 2014 @ 4:43 pm

Hey there Jessica, i had to let you know that I too HATE raisins, but wanted to make oatmeal choc chip cookies for my kids (yeah… cause they ARE healthier…ha) Anyway, I have to tell you that these are the best chocolate chip cookies I have EVER made. So freaking good. That and I have this problem with my cookies where they are always, always flat. They taste amazing, but they’re flat. And ugly. Not these. They look just as amazing as they taste. So thank you! Oh and I’m a huge fan of your blog :)

Lee-Ann — February 4, 2014 @ 1:48 pm

Hi Jessica. I just made these cookies, as in they have literally come out the oven and smell heavenly (waiting for them to cool before I taste!). The batter tasted so good before I put it to chill that I immediately whipped up another batch :) Thank you so much for this recipe.

chan — April 3, 2014 @ 7:43 pm

did anybody try these with oil? i can’t use butter and don’t want to use margarine to subsitute cuz unhealthy

Cari ava — July 10, 2014 @ 10:39 am

I’ve tried about a dozen other chewy chocolate chip oatmeal recipes from online. This one by far is the best and true to its title. I did the recipe pretty much exactly and shown and mixed in the ingredients as directed.

Erin — September 8, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

Made these tonight, minus the cinnamon (not a fan of it) these cookies were money!!!! Perfectooo! Thanks!

1 3 4 5