I know what you’re thinking.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Boring title.

A bowl of white cheese.

Somewhat plain.

Kind of a snoozefest.

How crazy can this really be?

I was skeptical too. Trust me.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I didn’t make this recipe up. My cousin Lacy did. See… a restaurants in DC makes this stuff and calls it crazy feta. She was a huge fan. Then they started selling it at Whole Foods for an arm and a leg. And since she really likes her limbs, she checked out the ingredients and decided to try and make it herself. Best decision ever.

She first told me about it on one of our walks about a week before we headed to the beach. It sounded good. It didn’t knock my socks off, but I kept it in mind. I don’t love jalapenos, lemon or feta, let alone love it together. Then she talked about it more at the beach. And each time I got a little more intrigued.

By Sunday, it was the only thing on my mind. Monday morning I rushed to the grocery store to buy bricked feta, jalapenos and lemons. Because that is exactly where my priorities lie after a week away. Don’t even act like yours lie somewhere else.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

I don’t even know where to start.

This is quite possible one of the best things I have ever tasted. The flavors – tangy feta, spicy jalapenos, bright lemon, caramely garlic – combine to create this delicious explosion of something or other in your mouth. It’s perfect. It has a little bite. It’s madly addicting. It’s fabulous on pita chips. Even better on warm bread. Can you even picture it? Fluffy, warm pita spread with crazy feta.

If that doesn’t sell you, I don’t know what will. You gotta promise me you’ll try this. Pleeeeeeeeease.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos

makes about 2 cups [a little goes a long way!]

2 bricks of feta cheese, 8 ounces each

3 whole jalapeno peppers

1/4 cup olive oil + 1 tablespoon

1 bulb garlic

the juice of half a lemon

the zest of half a lemon

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Chop the top off the garlic bulb and drizzle it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Wrap it in foil and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until garlic is golden in color. At the same time, brush the jalapenos with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Either grill or roast them – I stuck them in the oven with garlic and just watched until they were charred. Remove both from oven and let cool. Once jalapenos are cooled, remove skins, cut in half and discard the seeds. Chop into small pieces. Don’t touch your eyes!

In a large bowl, crumble the feta bricks. [Crumbling the bricks yourself works best, but if you can only find crumbled feta that is fine.] Add chopped jalapenos, the zest of half a lemon, and the juice of half a lemon. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of the bulb directly into the feta. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and mash with a fork. You want the feta to be a bit “wet” – I can best describe it as a cross between a spread and a dip. There is no right or wrong – make it however you’d like. Taste the feta and season with salt and pepper. Serve with pita chips, warm pita or naan, or spread it on sandwiches. Store it in the fridge for up to one week – I find that I like it best at room temperature, so allow it to sit out for about 30 minutes before serving. We also think it would be great with some kalamata olives.

crazy feta I howsweeteats.com

This is definitely my new party appetizer. Now you just need to invite me.

277 Responses to “Creamy Feta Dip with Jalapenos.”

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — June 23, 2011 @ 10:34 am

This looks so good! I am picturing it in a wrap with roast chicken and field greens. Yum!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — June 23, 2011 @ 10:44 am

I am having visions of this made with goat cheese. Do you think it would work?

• Jessica — June 23rd, 2011 @ 10:45 am

I think it would – I don’t think it would have the exact same flavor and that it would definitely be more of a “spread,” but I think it would probably be good!

Beril — June 23, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I cannot wait to try this recipe! I am a feta freak and it is 8 am and you got me salivating! I’m definitely stopping by the store today!

Kristina @ spabettie — June 23, 2011 @ 10:54 am

done. come on over! I’ll have margaritas…

(and I love that you went to the store first thing – that is DEFINITELY something I do… ;)

Elizabeth — June 23, 2011 @ 10:54 am

You’ve convinced me to give it a shot (and I DO love jalapenos, lemon or feta!).

Fun.

Jessica @ Life & Design — June 23, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Your food pics are SO good! Yum!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — June 23, 2011 @ 11:04 am

I’m so totally sold ! I think this would be amazing with goat feta ;D

K — June 23, 2011 @ 11:16 am

This looks wonderful! It reminds me of one of my very favourite cheese-dishes: baked feta. I think feta deserves to be celebrated more often!

Jourdan — June 23, 2011 @ 11:18 am

LOVE this idea! Can’t wait to make … tonight!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 23, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Ahhh Cava is so good!!! But crazy expensive… I love anything feta, and I’m sure this will be amazing with some pita chips. Who needs the spinach artichoke when there’s crazy feta??

JoL - Amazon freak-a-zoid — June 23, 2011 @ 11:21 am

currently e-mailing this to hubs (a self-confessed feta freak) so he can throw it together this weekend for our mutual enjoyment

Leah @ Why Deprive? — June 23, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Oh my – I already have a problem with eating feta straight from the container. Obviously I HAVE to make this, but Im a little afraid that I wont be able to control myself and will just eat it with a spoon.

thenailaholic — June 23, 2011 @ 11:22 am

This sounds insanely delicious!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — June 23, 2011 @ 11:28 am

Oh my goodness! Pure genius! From one cheese fan to another, thank you! This looks and sounds delicious.

Cara — June 23, 2011 @ 11:30 am

I love feta, so why not!?! I can only imagine how delicious it would be on a warm pita, gosh I want some now…

Brooke — June 23, 2011 @ 11:35 am

And I so have left over feta from Greek night this week. I WANT THIS!

Paige (running around normal) — June 23, 2011 @ 11:44 am

ok, I’ve starred this recipe and will be making it this weekend. You’ve convinced me. But I love all ingredients involved!

Hillary — June 23, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Looking for an appetizer to take to a party this weekend! Could you make this a creamier spread type consistency in the food processor? Or is it better to leave it a little chunky and made by hand?

Kelly — June 23, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I think sometimes when we cook it’s easy to overthink things; sometimes the best dishes are the simplest. This looks fantastic and I can see why it’s such a hit, and even better that it is simple enough to make yourself.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — June 23, 2011 @ 12:43 pm

Ooohhh, this sounds amazing!!!! I LOVE feta!

Skinny Fat Kid — June 23, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

This looks awesome! I love feta and I love dips. I whipped up some sort of spicy feta one time, but couldn’t tell you how I did it. Will try this one as a replacement!

Megly — June 23, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

Haha I’m glad you went into an explanation because those ingredients definitely don’t sound as scrumptious as the final dish. Guess it’s more than the sum of its parts, eh? :) I actually went to a Greek restaurant in Minneapolis (It’s Greek to Me) last weekend and my family and I enjoyed some spicy feta dip – this could be kind of like that! It was to die for. Warm pita squares, absolutely.

Noelle — June 23, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Dang this DOES sound delicious! YUM!

shelly (cookies and cups) — June 23, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

considering i like my arms and legs too I will try this.
    whole foods doesn’t need my pudgy legs.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — June 23, 2011 @ 1:51 pm

You just made my favorite cheese even better…by making it spicy. I loves it!

dani — June 23, 2011 @ 1:56 pm

I love Cava!!

Aimee @ShugarySweets — June 23, 2011 @ 2:01 pm

I’m not a huge fan of feta…especially in that amount. But I’m definitely intrigued. I wonder if it would work with goat cheese crumbled? Hmmm…I’ll have to try it and get back to you :)
    Aimee

amy — June 23, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

I am obsessed with feta!!! I eat it out of the container all the time! this looks awesome!

Jenni — June 23, 2011 @ 2:06 pm

Thank you for being such a diligent blogger :) I love that I can click on your FB name even sometimes twice a day to see new posts all the time. I’m not sure how you reel me in to reading about your entire TJ’s purchase, but you do. My boss doesn’t appreciate you (because you distract me), but you make my day much more enjoyable. Thank you!

Michelle — June 23, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

Holy, holy, holy cow. This is happening this weekend. We’re going to a friend’s house to watch a game, so this would be perfect!

Alexa @ Simple Eats — June 23, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

Oh . my. gosh. This is MY kind of dish. I want to make a whole bowl for myself and eat it for dinner!

Katrina — June 23, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

You don’t even have to sell me on this one. I love lemon, jalapeno, and feta! I love this idea. Yum!

Carolyn — June 23, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Doesn’t sound so crazy to me! My husband loves feta, and I know this recipe is a keeper for him. Will be making this one soon.

Kristy @ Sweet Treats and More — June 23, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

I am completely obsessed with feta cheese right now. This is genius! Buying everything to make it today!

natalie (the sweets life) — June 23, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

oh wow. my mouth is watering. MUST MAKE ASAP!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — June 23, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Haha if I have a party, you’re def on the invite list.. although I’m sorry, but I’m more a goat cheese gal than feta.

Ashley — June 23, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Feta is ANYthing BUT a snoozefest. mmmmm

sarah — June 23, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

My summer needs this. And a beer!

Tracy — June 23, 2011 @ 7:06 pm

This sounds fabulously addicting! I LOVE feta and the thought of smothering warm, homemade bread with this makes me swoon.

Michele — June 23, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

It sounds awesome as is, but hubby is a bit on the fence with feta. He was wondering if it might be good with queso fresco. What do ya think?

Amanda — June 23, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

I love Feta so this just looks and sounds amazing to me!!! I will have to try it the next time I have people over.

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — June 23, 2011 @ 8:01 pm

I have to try this immediately! Everything about it looks absolutely amazing. Not a huge fan of spice, so I will probably have to tone my down. (I’m a wuss.)

Amanda — June 23, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

I make something very similar and serve it for dinner with chicken or beef kabobs, homemade pita bread, and a big greek salad. It is amazing!

Elizabeth — June 23, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

This looks ridiculous. If I hadn’t just gotten home from the grocery store, I would go buy these ingredients right now. Guess I’ll have to go again tomorrow.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 23, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

GAHHH that would be amazing stuffed INSIDE of chicken! :) or just outta the bowl

Wenderly — June 23, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

I didn’t think that feta could get any *betta*. But I do believe that it did. Yummers.

Melissa — June 23, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

I feel dirty just reading about this. I want to roll around in it . . . naked. Inappropriate, what??

Katie@Cozydelicious — June 23, 2011 @ 11:20 pm

Oooh, this looks amazing, And addictive. Heat and feta and lemon… amazing.

Katie — June 23, 2011 @ 11:21 pm

I’m officially inviting you over. It will just be you and me, but we can go to town on this feta and then put on stretchy pants and watch TV.

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — June 24, 2011 @ 2:51 am

I know I’m going to make and love this. Very sure~!

1. Pingback: The 12 dips of Christmas – 2012 : Murphy Sam & Jodi

2. Pingback: Crazy Feta Dip | The Cookin' Chemist

3. Pingback: crazy feta dip | chronic venture — a chronic venture

4. Pingback: How To Make Whipped Feta | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Happy Birthday, Blog! | Becky Cooks

6. Pingback: Summer Soiree Recipes | Seeking Joy

7. Pingback: Weekend Snapshots July 26-28, 2013 | Hudson on the Potomac

8. Pingback: Crazy feta bruschetta | One girl. One kitchen.

9. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Crazy Roasted Garlic, Jalapeño And Feta Dip. Mad About The New Gogol Bordello. | I Sing In The Kitchen

11. Pingback: 40 Uber-Cheesy Dip Recipes (P.S. They're all meatless, too!) | Kitchen Treaty

12. Pingback: FFC: Day 5 | Metro Musings

13. Pingback: Baked Green Falafel and Roasted Jalapeno Feta Dip | The Minimalist Pantry