1. I would totally sell my soul for one of these right now.

2. Those also really make me want one of these. Or a whole pan. And these. Whatev. I want bread.

3. Speaking of pans, I dropped an entire one of freshly baked red velvet brownies on the floor yesterday. I’m still eating my emotions.

4. I had an amazing fried green tomato salad while in Austin. Didn’t think I’d ever utter the words “green,” “tomato,” “salad,” and “amazing” in the same sentence. At least I can cling to “fried.”

5. Other than that salad, I barely took any pictures. A secret? I don’t really like photography. It’s overwhelming and I can’t be bothered. I will regret this when I’m 65 or something. Shhhhhh.

6. I came home to four boxes of these soft pretzels in our fridge. The ingredients aren’t half bad for pretzels… I thought they did make a nice little snack. Until I realized someone wasn’t eating them as a snack. He was eating them as a side. With mac and cheese. And the double cheeseburger topped with kielbasa. Haaaalp.

7. I also came home to a disaster in the kitchen and not a dust speck swept. I think this is payback.

8. I’m going to the beach in a week. We’ve gone every year for 28 years. I feel old. It’s all about sand, sun, not showering and bourbon. I will read approximately 5 chick-lit books. I’ll eat chocolate chip cookies for breakfast and ice cream for lunch. And maybe a hot dog wrapped in a crescent roll. Have you had those? They are good. Don’t be grossed out.

9. One year, when she was gettin’ up there in age, Mother Lovett followed tradition and made chocolate chip cookies to bring to the beach. They had the lovely, tender texture of a brick. So we put a loaf of bread in the container and the cookies softened right up. This amazed me. It still does. I should have paid more attention in science class. I hate science.

10. I also hate math. If you’ve ever been my server in a restaurant, I apologize. Or maybe not. You’ve either received a 10 cent tip or $100 one.

59 Responses to “Tuesday Things.”

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles — June 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Ok…so I’m guessing I’m super late on this…but I love your new blog design. Bright and fresh!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — June 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

I bought green tomatoes last year at a farmers market and fried them – SO INCREDIBLY GOOD. The sauce was crucial though. That salad looks fantastic!

Shari @ Chicago Cuisine Critique — June 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Love your list. So jealous of your beach vacay. Enjoy it! Check out my new book recommendation for some good chick lit. It’s adorable!

Jennifer — June 7, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

love tuesday things!
    where did you have the salad at?

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — June 7, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

I would have eaten those brownies up off the floor!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — June 7, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

This is my favorite kind of post. Well I like sugary ones too so that’s a lie. But I liked this one. :D

Brittney — June 7, 2011 @ 4:15 pm

We went out to eat for my brother’s graduation and the bill was $130 something after she added the tip. She accidently wrote $130 on the tip line. The server was nice enough to tell her the mistake hahaha.

Kelly — June 7, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

I remember your summer beach trip from last year! How is it already time again? Wow!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — June 7, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

“Speaking of pans, I dropped an entire one of freshly baked red velvet brownies on the floor yesterday. I’m still eating my emotions.”

OMG that sucks! Wasted food, wasted time, and also a huge jass mess to cleanup on your floor. Ugh!

Bread trick…also works for rock hard brown sugar. I go thru my brown sugar fast enough I never have that problem :)

lisa b — June 7, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I’m in heaven! Those cupcakes look amazing! Awesome!

Danielle A — June 7, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I love reading Tuesday Things! :) They are fun, and bring a smile to my face!

Amanda — June 7, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

LOVEEE beach season though I take it for granted since the beach is about 20 minutes away. And I totally would have salvaged those brownies!

Robyn {Planet Byn} — June 7, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

can you start blogging about what you’re reading? would love to know which books you’re bringing to the beach!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — June 7, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

MAKE those cheesecake cupcakes!!! Oh my god I am swooning. Slash dangggg — those pretzels aren’t too bad! That has always amazed me too — that’s how my mama has always gotten the brown sugar to stop sticking together:)

VeggieGirl — June 7, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

You SHOULD like photography, since you’re so good at it!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — June 7, 2011 @ 4:42 pm

Hey at least you didn’t lick the red velvet cupcakes up from the floor! Did you…?

I can’t believe that you don’t like photography! Your food pictures are always gorgeous :)

Is this beach your going to in New Jersey?? Which beach???

Oh yea, mental math takes me a while…it’s best not to ask me to calculate anything in my head :P

Beverly — June 7, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

I’m looking for some good books to read this summer. What are you taking with you to read on your vacation? I would love to get some good suggestions!!

Shugary Sweet — June 7, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

Beach vacations are so much fun! Have a great time, and be sure to let us know what good chick books you read (and recommend).
    Loving your Tuesday things!
    Aimee

Gina (Yogattude) — June 7, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

This was when I began reading your blog…Michigan caguht my eye back then! I’m from nothern MI (Cheboygan) and loved reading about your adventures. No trip to Northern MI is complete without cherries, fugde and/or ice cream!

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Oh Gina – this isn’t the Michigan vacation – that is later this summer! I can’t wait for it!

• Megan — June 7th, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

When you’re in Boyne/Charlevoix take a trip to Petoskey and get Tom’s Mom’s Cookies… (later this summer, obvi!)

I would drive 8 hrs just for the cookie… and then the other reasons to go “Up North”

(you can also get them online BUT 2dozen cookies seems like a bad idea for a single lady!)

• Gina (Yogattude) — June 8th, 2011 @ 3:47 pm

Woops;) Well I’m happy that you get to visit a beach/lake more than once this summer!!

Maris (In Good Taste) — June 7, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Have an awesome vacation. Sounds like the perfect vacation to me!

Angela Easton — June 7, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls are delicious, especially with LOTS of cheese. we make hot dog wraps by putting a hot dog with chili and cheese in a rolled tortilla, then topping with salsa and baking…so so so good!

Marie Baars — June 7, 2011 @ 6:01 pm

I can`t help but be slightly envious of your warm summery vacations! Its still a tad chilly here… I wore jeans and a down-filled vest today and was not the slightest bit too warm.

I have done the bread / cookie thing too. It also works with slices of apple. I think its because moisture from the bread transfers to the cookies…kinda like osmosis (bah only its the other word that not water transfer…but i cant remember it). I took my fair share of science and it was painful. Tears were shed.

Holly @ The Runny Egg — June 7, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

I love hot dogs in crescent rolls!!! Those are the best.

Andrea@Vegvacious — June 7, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

Fried green tomatoes are one my all-time fave appetizers — I love that there’s a salad version ~ that’s guilt-free eating if you ask me :-) If you have this salad, I think you can one of those amazing looking cupcakes, or maybe even three!

Rachel — June 7, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

OMG… we used to always do hot dogs in crescent rolls with cheese when I was growing up… we called them pigs in a blanket. om nom nom. later I found out that some people think pigs in a blanket are sausage links wrapped in pancakes… whaaa?

• Julie — June 7th, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Same here, Rachel! We call them pigs in a blanket. The hot dog thing…not the pancake thing. :)

Gen — June 7, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

hahaha I love these posts! :D Also, I’d kill for one of those cupcakes!

Amanda (Eating Up) — June 7, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

Haha I love #5! I kind of feel the same way. About the regretting it too.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — June 7, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

I agree w/ the photography thing. While I do enjoy pictures of events and people, I find it can be so invasive at a restaurant. Sometimes I feel people live through their lenses rather than actually living! Of course, there is always a time and place for photography though and when it’s in your kitchen showing us your amazing treats, I am all for it!

Lauren — June 7, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

Silly girl..just drink wine or beer with every meal when you go to a restaurant. That way-if you screw up the tip, you can blame it on that! (Least, it works for me!)
    Can’t wait for your beach recap.

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

You are smart. :)

Michelle — June 7, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

Yay for going to the beach. And for chick-lit, not showering-who needs to when you’ve got the water, right? And also bourbon, ice cream and crescent rolls wrapped around a hot dog ( stuffed with cheese, of course!) I’m new to your blog, but I’m lovin’ it!! Have a great time!

• Jessica — June 7th, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Thanks Michelle!

Sara — June 7, 2011 @ 7:59 pm

RE: # 3 You don’t seem to have luck with brownies and pans! They are either exploding in your oven or dropping on the floor.
    RE: # 8 I love lil’ smokies wrapped in crescent rolls, so I can only imagine how delish a whole hot dog would be. YUM!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — June 7, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

I love when you share food that you want to make. Because then I want to make it. And I bookmark it.

I also hate science. And math. Who needs them?

Lisa @ Healthful Sense — June 7, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

What is going on today. I dropped a glass in the kitchen. Which isn’t fun to clean with 2 boys running around and a baby crawling on the floor.
    Then I went into my room and my 3 year old had poured my mineral/powder makeup all over the carpet :( Just breathe and relax I tell myself.

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — June 7, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

I have two home grown green tomatoes from my mother sitting in my fridge right this moment. I’ve been a bit worried as to what to do with them. May just bite the bullet and fry them. Eeep. :)

Amy @ A Little Nosh — June 7, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

When I was pregnant with my son, I went through a two week period when I ate hot dogs wrapped in crescent rolls every single night. Delish!

Laura — June 7, 2011 @ 8:34 pm

I have to ask… what is the name of the restaurant where you had the fried green tomato salad? I live in Austin and might just have to make a trip there…

Melissa — June 7, 2011 @ 8:40 pm

So if you need a good beach read, I am reading The Violets of March right now (by Glamour blogger Sarah Jio), and loving it.

I am headed back to Michigan in under 2 weeks for the summer! I can’t wait! If you need a MI fix before your trip later this summer, you know where to look! ;)

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries — June 7, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

I would’ve never guessed you hate photography because you take beautiful pictures!

Jonessa — June 7, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

I can totally relate to #8. we also go to the beach every year for a week at 4 of July. My in laws throw a great party, where I’ll be making margarita cupcakes this year, then we all walk down to the beach with our big plastic red cups full of your drink of your choice to watch fire works. Pleasenpost what chick lit books you read while your there because I too will read a couple. We can compare notes when done!

Lisa — June 8, 2011 @ 6:34 am

good morning,
    Your list rocks, sorry about the dropped brownies… How can you be old?… Didn’t you start the 28 years in a row.. when you were TWO!
    Have a wonderful vacation!
    Take care,
    Lisa

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — June 8, 2011 @ 7:19 am

Have fun at the beach! All your Austin eats sound amazing…

Ann — June 8, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Enjoy the beach, books & bourbon! We’ll miss you while you’re gone….but it’s always good to recharge the batteries. Being a Southern Girl I l-o-v-e fried green tomatoes….a staple here in the south!

Grace — June 8, 2011 @ 11:11 am

LOVE your new blog header/design… I always want sweets…. so you aren’t alone.

• Jessica — June 8th, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Thanks!

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — June 8, 2011 @ 11:18 am

I haven’t been on the computer lately and I love your new look. :)
    You and me both, love, love, love everything bread! The last four weeks I cut my breads out to just the weekends as my cheat meal, just to drop my baby weight fast…..it’s bathing suit season!
    You have to try making pretzel dogs, they are better than cresent wrapped hot dogs. I have a recipe that I posted that last summer on my blog, Pretzel dogs are the best for summer beach parties with lot’s of spicy mustard! Yummmm!

• Jessica — June 8th, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Thanks! And pretzel dogs sound amazzzzing.

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — June 8, 2011 @ 11:45 am

I would SO scoop those up off the floor and call a 5 second rule. Was it per-baking? In which case, the heat would kill all bacteria! Was it post-baking? In which case, my stomach would SO kill that bacteria…

Ashley — June 8, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

You are just so adorable. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 11, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Hehe – I love that last one :-)

Jane — March 26, 2013 @ 3:55 pm

Hi Jessica,
    My name is Jane and I’m with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Petoskey to share on our site and I came across your post…If you’re open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane