Sadly, yesterday we ended up having to put our family dog, Winnie, down. I know I told you guys about the seizures that she randomly started having only 3 weeks ago, and I can’t even begin to tell you how she deteriorated. Just in a matter of weeks!

My dad said it was almost as if she got “old” overnight, albeit still being so young, and that couldn’t be more true. She stopped playing with her football and stopped having the constant smile on her face. She never stopped having seizures, continued to run into things, lost almost all mobility and we believe lost all sight. Earlier this week, she couldn’t move, wouldn’t eat or drink, had accidents, and again… could not stop having seizures. Nothing helped. It was the worst.thing.ever. This sounds terrible, but I am almost glad I don’t live at home because I couldn’t bear seeing it 24/7 considering it was breaking my parents’ heart.

The crazy part?

Months ago, my parents planned to get a second golden in July. The decision was made long before Winnie ever got sick, and since they were used to having two dogs everyone knew Winnie would love a playmate. So the date was set to bring home the 3rd family golden puppy… and the date was July 8th. As in… tomorrow. Up until yesterday my parents still weren’t sure what they were going to do, but made the decision to continue on with the new pal… Bella. So tomorrow morning, I’m going to a doggie pool party with my mom and like, 20 other dogs. Umm… this is so not me. Who am I?

At first I wanted to get one too, but then I remembered how much I love my warm bed in the middle of the night. And then Mr. How Sweet reminded me how I can’t even clean up spilled milk. Literally. And no… I’m not ready to learn yet. So I will just go visit my “sister” dog every now and then… or every day.

Anywho… thanks for all your sweet thoughts, comments, tweets and words. You guys are the bees knees.

141 Responses to “All Dogs Go To Heaven.”

Jaan — July 8, 2011 @ 10:16 am

My heart goes out to you and your family. It is never easy loosing a family member. I have said prayers for Winnie to be free of all pain and filled with happiness. And a prayer for all of you to have the strenght to deal with your loss. My dogs and cats, and birds, just abt every four legged or winged family member are very dear to my heart. Life is never easy. Again sorry for you loss.

Alisa Fleming — July 8, 2011 @ 10:47 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.

Melissa — July 8, 2011 @ 10:58 am

Hugs to you and Winnie up in doggie heaven.

Hope Bella is a good distraction from missing your pup. XO

amyt @ Chicken Nugget Momma — July 8, 2011 @ 11:01 am

Thoughts going your way – so sorry for your/families loss. ~hugs~

Keri — July 8, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I am so sorry for your family’s loss….. I have an older gal (13) myself who I’m watching age. May your happy memories soon dull and blur the pain of her passing.
    Godspeed sweet ^Winnie^
    keri

Sue — July 8, 2011 @ 11:04 am

There are never any words… just know that we all feel so badly for your loss. I’ve recently gone through losing a cat I had for 16 years. It’s so SO hard…and yet, you know that when they’re sick like that, making The Decision is the only way to be the very best friend they could ever have. That’s what they depend on us for. I hope Bella will help to ease the pain a bit…I’m sure she’s a beautiful girl. She’s found a great forever family.

Monika — July 8, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I am so sorry to hear about Winnie. It saddens me and I never knew her outside of your post and pic’s. I wish you and your family the best as you cope with your loss. They are family!

Jenni — July 8, 2011 @ 11:12 am

I’m so sorry for the loss! I don’t handle losing pets well at all! They are family!

I bet she’s in heaven with my Dizzy chasing tennis balls and herding cats. :)

Skinny Fat Kid — July 8, 2011 @ 11:23 am

So sorry to hear about Winnie, but glad that they can hopefully find comfort in the new puppy!

Caroline — July 8, 2011 @ 11:26 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the pup. Sitting here crying about it actually. I have 2 big boys at home and the thought of losing them terrifies me. Have fun with the new pup.

Erin — July 8, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Oh gosh. We are putting my childhood family dog down today. I was teary reading your post, but I hope you guys are making it. It’s never easy.

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I’m so sorry!

Erin — July 8, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

This post made me cry. Enjoy Bella.

Kendra — July 8, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

Sorry for your loss, Jessica!! Our oldie Goldie, Buster, is in his last days, too. But he is like 10 or something. Will be very sad when he goes. Goldens are such amazing pets!! I hope you enjoy Bella.

Cindy — July 8, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

My heart goes out to you and your family on the loss of Winnie. Thanks for introducing her to us with her lovely pics. She will be missed…

Julia — July 8, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Aww, I’m so sorry for your loss :( My family recently lost our 18 year old doggy back in May. We have been watching her slowly deteriorate for the past 5 or so years. Some days she would wake up and it was like she had a stroke in her sleep – she would be paralyzed for a day or two, and then next thing you know she’d be up running around with our younger dog. One windy day, my mom took her outside and the wind blew her over :-\ My mom couldn’t bear to watch it anymore and finally made that hard decision to put her down a couple months ago. Such a hard thing to do. Its definitely tough to lose a family member that has been with you since childhood. Sending my best to you and your family.

Gabrielle — July 8, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

Jessica,

Our chocolate lab, Jasmine, passed away last fall in almost the same manner. It was like someone flipped a switch, and suddenly she was a sick old dog. She was getting really skinny, had no appetite, no energy. She was 13, we’d gotten her as a puppy for Christmas, 1997, when I was 7 years old; she was a part of the family, the third sister. She passed away peacefully in the backyard, thank goodness. Like you said, I’m glad I don’t live with my parents anymore, because I don’t think I could have handled seeing her like that either. My mom was really torn up about it, they were “mama buddies”. We still have one of her puppies, Stormy, though at 9 years old she’s not really a puppy anymore. Still, it definitely helps to have another dog around. That, and the knowledge that Jasmine’s not in pain anymore. Hope the new family dog will be a comfort to you all. -Gabby

Amy — July 8, 2011 @ 1:59 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. My family has a 14 year old golden and it’s hard to watch them age…he still has the smile on his face though, although he can’t hear anything. I can’t imagine how hard it is for you. I hope that you make it through and enjoy Bella!

Kelly — July 8, 2011 @ 2:03 pm

Sorry to hear of Winnie’s passing. It is so true that animals age and go downhill so quickly. I’m a little teary eyed as this hits a little close to home. Peace, prayers and Blessings.

Alyssa Tucker — July 8, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Im so sorry for your loss, I had to put my favorite dog down from the severe complications of diabetes on july 1st, he deteriorated to the point he couldn’t drink. I had him for 10 years since I was 10 yrs old..we grew up together and losing him is still very painful. I wish you the best with coping and just remember they’re waiting in heaven for us one day, remember them in good health..maybe your dog and mine are playing together! Ps..I love your recipes they’re the best I’ve found.

Heather — July 8, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

My heart is with you all. What a blessing to know that your parents will still have the love of a puppy in their house!

Nicole — July 8, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

So so sorry about your pup. Same thing happened to my sweet black lab chow chow mix. My heart goes out to you and your fam.

Kelly — July 8, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss….that is the pits, but she is in a much better place and no longer in any pain. I get teary eyed just thinking about it. I don’t think I could do a party with all those dogs so soon but good for your parents for being open to give a new pup their love.

Susan — July 8, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Sosososo sorry to hear this Jessica :( Golden retrievers are such great dogs too, I can just imagine the wonderful personality she had. But I bet she died a very happy dog having grown up and lived with such an amazing and loving family!! xo

Ashley — July 8, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I’m so sorry :-( I know how hard it is. We just put our first “child” to sleep last month because we found out she had cancer. I think it was the hardest thing that I’ve had to do in my life. But, it’s true…all dogs go to heaven!! We’ll get to see them again one day!!

Tammy — July 8, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

Sorry for your loss!! I just lost my dog 2 weeks ago, so I know how you feel! I too believe they are up in heaven playing!!

G — July 8, 2011 @ 9:34 pm

So sorry for your loss – RIP Winnie – Heaven is so lucky to have a wonderful dog to chase my Buster up there – Keep him safe for me – till we meet again.

Paulette — July 8, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Sorry about Winnie. I cannot get another dog since my sweet girl Madison died. Now that has been seven years and when I think I should give some wonderful puppy a loving home, I start to remember the loss and hurt like it was yesterday. Winnie is in heaven and feeling no pain now. Hopefully when we go they will be at the gates of heaven with a wagging tail waiting for our return. Hugs Paulette

Corinne — July 8, 2011 @ 10:40 pm

I’m so sorry for you and your family’s loss. I know how dogs are very much like family. I’ve always grown up around goldens and I absolutely love them (Russ and I have one ourselves and she’s literally my kid).
    Sending many thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this time.

Ann — July 8, 2011 @ 10:59 pm

My deepest sympathies. We lost our Holly Dog a year ago and we miss her still. However, Sunny Pup has waggled her way into our hearts and found her own place….there’s room for both.

AJ — July 9, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

I’m so so sorry to hear about Winnie!!! My poor 10 yr old puggle went blind a couple of months ago, but so far she’s still healthy otherwise.

Little Bella is too cute!!!!

Laura Bruce — July 10, 2011 @ 3:15 am

Three weeks ago we put down my mini doxie who was only 5 years old. my heart goes out to you and your family as I know what a loss it truly is. We lost webster to viral pneumonia–which he had transferred to his brother and his “dad”–his dad was able to quickly kick it–which is odd because he has a severe seizure disorder which we have thankfully been able to treat with a good amount of meds every day–He’s now 7 years old and has had them since he was 4. His brother though, hasn’t been able to kick things as well and we were in the process of also getting a puppy–a “sister” for the boys as they can’t really rough house with the momma and daddy dog we have anymore as they’re getting old and our female has 2 slipped disks in her back and is paralyzed from the waist down. We have though decided not to get a “sister” as of course this viral thing they have is quite contagious–we later have come to find out that webster has severely small lungs (a birth defect) and I should consider myself lucky to have had him as long as I have. I miss him terribly and to read this makes me sad–at the loss of your dog :) I hope the pool party goes well :) I had read somewhere the reason dogs don’t live as long as we humans do is because dogs already know how to love instantly and they’re put in a humans life to teach them things like how to love unconditionally :) ((HUGS)) to u all.

Tamara R. — July 10, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

awwww they are so adorable!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — July 10, 2011 @ 10:04 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about your pup :( Thoughts go out to your family XOXO

janetha @ meals & moves — July 11, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Our family dog was a golden retriever, too! We put him down when he was 11. Sorry about your pup! Although I do love seeing puppy pics on your IG.

Jules — July 11, 2011 @ 11:13 pm

Im so sorry for your loss…that makes me so sad….did you adopt a new puppy or your family did? i just adopted a puppy myself and she is my world.

Tracy — July 17, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

I’m so sorry about Winnie…we went through something similar with our kitty Callie who had feline leukemia, and was only 3 years old when she died. Sending lots of love and hugs to you. <3

Delores — September 13, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >All Dogs Go To Heaven. | How Sweet It Is <Liked it!

1. Pingback: I’m in Love. | How Sweet It Is